I was using my passport, and today switched back to my classic for the next few months to get used to the size of the phone and keyboard.

I think the mercury will mimic the classic closer than the other bb10 phones. Any other classic user considering the mercury?
    01-15-17 03:49 PM
    I am. I honestly thought I would stay using my beloved Classic forever but I just need more space and speed. That and I got that itch for a new phone since I've had the Classic for 2 years and a couple weeks...I pre-ordered when it was first released December 17 2014 (yea, I remember the date, lol). If they would have came out with the Mercury but using a newer version of BB10 I wouldn't switch to Android but we all know that that is impossible. So going to the Mercury is the next best thing because I love a physical keyboard...it is a necessity for me and my phone.
    But I will miss my Classic and will likely use it from time to time :-(

Classic, Q10, Bold 9900, Bold 9000...do u notice the pattern? :-)
    01-15-17 04:00 PM
    I'll be one to admit that I may give the Mercury a shot once it comes out, although I see myself as someone that would be too loyal to BlackBerry 10 to deviate from. I'm always alternating between a Classic and a Passport, so the Mercury seems like a natural phone to jump to.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-17 04:17 PM
    although I see myself as someone that would be too loyal to BlackBerry 10 to deviate from
    Posted via CB10
    I feel exactly the same. I've been loyal since my Bold 9000 that I got in 2010. And I only get physical keyboards which rarely are released to my liking. I'm not doing it for the apps, OS, camera and all that other unnecessary stuff. I would just like a new phone with more RAM and internal space. And I personally wish it was all black, instead of the silver trim. So I'm reluctantly getting it. And hopefully AT&T will carry it so I can use it for my upgrade, I certainly don't want to pay the $400 outright to get it when it comes out

Classic, Q10, Bold 9900, Bold 9000...do u notice the pattern? :-)
    01-15-17 04:28 PM
    I'm of the opinion that a Priv would be a better intermediate, especially for someone leaving BB10, since it's Android with a hardware keyboard. I think learning the OS is more important than the specific keyboard.
    Couver81 and Avenzuno like this.
    01-15-17 05:51 PM
    I used BB back when the bar pearl came out and went through all the models up to the classic then made a switch to iPhone. Looking at the priv and the upcoming mercery I am definitely going to be making the switch back to BB.
    01-15-17 07:09 PM
    I'm of the opinion that a Priv would be a better intermediate, especially for someone leaving BB10, since it's Android with a hardware keyboard. I think learning the OS is more important than the specific keyboard.
    Likely true, but I think it's an old Classic he already had so he didn't want to spend more $.

I have been using a basic Samsung Galaxy phone as a 2nd phone for the Android learning experience and ability to use apps without workarounds or limitations

Posted with my  Classic
    01-15-17 08:47 PM
    I am also considering the Mercury.
    I like BB10, but i'm not adamant about remaining with it. I'm mostly here for the keyboard. And now that the keyboard is will be on the Mercury, why not give it a shot?

Man, i'll sure miss the toolbelt though. That will be the most frustrating part about the mercury.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-17 07:53 AM
    I can't get over how many people complain about what the Blackberry Mercury is going to lack (tool belt, BB10, etc), when the reality is BB users are so insignificant, it's a goddamned miracle they are still making phones for us. Rejoice you unwashed bastards!

I've been using my kid's Samsung tablette a lot to prepare for the inevitable move to Android, and the experience is OK. It's not super intuitive, but BB10's become totally obsolete, no one makes apps, and it can't even run super basic things like iheartradio.

I champion the move to Mercury and can't wait to get one, although I remain strongly skeptical that it'll do anything for market share. My sister was a diehard BB owner from the start, but having moved to iphone when she changed jobs and lost her SE, she's never coming back. I suspect that that's the case with 75% of former BB owners. To say nothing of the youth market, for whom a physical keyboard is like having a cord attached to it.

-Paul

BB Classic
    BB Bold
    mbirth likes this.
    01-16-17 08:20 AM
    Just picked up the Classic 3 months ago because I wanted a new phone (the iPhone 7 failed in my opinion). And I fcking love it. Before that the last BlackBerry I owned was the BlackBerry Curve 9300 3G back in the good old days. After the Curve I switched from HTC One S to iPhone 6 to iPhone 6S.

I use the Classic for 60% as my daily driver. Beside that there's my reliable iPhone 6S for the remaining 40% (Snapchat, Facebook, games and pictures).

If the iPhone 7S (or if they call it the 8) wil fail again I would definitely buy thee Mercury, but if it doesn't I gues I'll stick with my Classic and his then new mate (the 7S/8).
    01-16-17 12:23 PM
    I think I'm getting closer then I ever thought to saying I will consider it. I love the classic but know that my next phone will be an android. I really like what BlackBerry is doing to android and it makes it a lot easier knowing I can get an android with keyboard and hub and a bunch of other BlackBerry stuff. It will feel less painful to make the switch. Still love the classic and only reason I am considering making a change is the poor reception that I have been experiencing lately, I'm not sure if it's the phone or my service but one of the 2 needs to get fixed/figured out.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-17 06:01 PM
    I can't get over how many people complain about what the Blackberry Mercury is going to lack (tool belt)
    Suppose we take away your car.
    You still have a pedal bike, so you can get around. It's just a lot slower now.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-17 06:19 PM
    Suppose we take away your car.
    You still have a pedal bike, so you can get around. It's just a lot slower now.

Posted via CB10
    That is an awful analogy lol. The Mercury will absolutely be faster and more powerful than the years old Classic. And the need for workarounds to get some apps working, and some of those not fully functional, will be eliminated.

If anything, we'd be going from pedal bikes and upgrading to cars.

Posted with my  Classic
    01-16-17 08:41 PM
    That is an awful analogy lol. The Mercury will absolutely be faster and more powerful than the years old Classic. And the need for workarounds

Posted with my  Classic
    Yes, the Mercury better have a quicker processor
    I was talking about the toolbelt, specifically.
    If you take it away, you will have a slower time operating your new phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-17 08:47 PM
    I was using my passport, and today switched back to my classic for the next few months to get used to the size of the phone and keyboard.

I think the mercury will mimic the classic closer than the other bb10 phones. Any other classic user considering the mercury?
    I am, as BB10 is degrading slowly it will be inevitable to switch and to me the most likely choice will be the Mercury. Will wait at least 2 months before ordering just to see how it performs however. Would hate to go back to a VKB, the functionality of a PKB can be hard to replicate.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-17 08:54 PM
    I've been using the classic since it first came out and anxiously waiting for the Mercury to be released.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-17 02:26 AM
    I expect the Mercury's keys to be shaped like the Priv's, but larger in size but not quite like the Passport's keys. I think the Mercury's keys to be as clicky as the Classic's. My Classic is a joy to type on, and it appears its keys are taller than the Mercury's. The OP should not get too used to the great Toolbelt on the Classic. Here again, like the Passport, the Priv provides a better example of using the capactive PKB for scrolling and in an Android environment. I myself wish for a Priv as a stopgap device for Mercury. But the Priv is too costly as my device needs to work on Verizon. Good luck to the OP in the Mercury prep.

Posted via CB10 on my VZW Z30
    01-24-17 11:08 AM