Edit: Apparently a mod changed the title to something this post has nothing to do with... This is about IMPROVEMENTS I would like to see made to the way the trackpad works on the Classic. Not tips on how to use it... But with that out of the way, onto the IMPROVEMENTS:

Hey, so I remember a few things I want to improve about the way the trackpad works, can't remember them all, but figure I start this thread and you guys can add your suggestions too.

1. If you're on the top line of a text box and you hold the shift key, swiping up on the trackpad should automatically highlight everything from where the cursor is to the beginning of the text. So basically highlight the entire line from the cursor's position back. That's how I remember it working in legacy devices and it's very useful. Right now, you hold shift and swipe up on the trackpad, nothing happens, you have to swipe left a ton of times to select that entire line.

2. Clicking the trackpad should enter password in the password field while unlocking your phone. In legacy devices, you could enter your password and press the trackpad and that would act as pressing the enter key. I think they need to bring that back. I have my password one-hand friendly and it ends close to the trackpad for that exact reason. With legacy devices I unlocked my phone one-handed this way super quick and easy. Now I have to either reach over for the enter key, or reach up to touch the ok button. If the move the ok button toward the bottom of the screen so you won't need to reach as far, that would be ok too...

I know there are more things but can't remember them right now... Will add more if I think of them. Anyone else think these are good ideas?

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Last edited by slagman5; 01-22-15 at 12:32 AM.
    01-21-15 10:41 PM
    I tweaked the title since this was more about tips for using the trackpad more than an improvement discussion. Hope it helps!
    01-21-15 11:15 PM
    I tweaked the title since this was more about tips for using the trackpad more than an improvement discussion. Hope it helps!
    Um, no it isn't, the things I listed are not possible with the trackpad currently, and they are suggestions on how to improve it...

andy957 likes this.
    01-22-15 12:29 AM
    Anyone else think these are good ideas?
    Anything that brings back more BBOS functionality, I am all for!!!
    01-22-15 07:47 AM
    Can a mod please change my title back?? There isn't a single "tip" mentioned in this entire thread...

andy957 likes this.
    01-22-15 09:27 AM
    Edit: Apparently a mod changed the title to something this post has nothing to do with... This is about IMPROVEMENTS I would like to see made to the way the trackpad works on the Classic. Not tips on how to use it... But with that out of the way, onto the IMPROVEMENTS:

Hey, so I remember a few things I want to improve about the way the trackpad works, can't remember them all, but figure I start this thread and you guys can add your suggestions too.

1. If you're on the top line of a text box and you hold the shift key, swiping up on the trackpad should automatically highlight everything from where the cursor is to the beginning of the text. So basically highlight the entire line from the cursor's position back. That's how I remember it working in legacy devices and it's very useful. Right now, you hold shift and swipe up on the trackpad, nothing happens, you have to swipe left a ton of times to select that entire line.

2. Clicking the trackpad should enter password in the password field while unlocking your phone. In legacy devices, you could enter your password and press the trackpad and that would act as pressing the enter key. I think they need to bring that back. I have my password one-hand friendly and it ends close to the trackpad for that exact reason. With legacy devices I unlocked my phone one-handed this way super quick and easy. Now I have to either reach over for the enter key, or reach up to touch the ok button. If the move the ok button toward the bottom of the screen so you won't need to reach as far, that would be ok too...

I know there are more things but can't remember them right now... Will add more if I think of them. Anyone else think these are good ideas?

1) Put the trackpad where you want to start. Hold shift and start highlighting. Let go shift and start swiping up on the trackpad. Up to where you want to be.

2) Write your password. Using the trackpad swipe down and right to ok

From Classic
    01-22-15 01:42 PM
    1) Put the trackpad where you want to start. Hold shift and start highlighting. Let go shift and start swiping up on the trackpad. Up to where you want to be.

2) Write your password. Using the trackpad swipe down and right to ok

From Classic
    *sigh* you don't understand what I mean. A lot of times I just want to highlight an entire line that's the first/only line in a field. Before you could quickly just start from the end and simply hold shift and flick up once and that highlights the entire line. Now you have to swipe left 15 times to manually get to the beginning of the line to highlight it.

And yes, I know you can move to the OK to submit the password, but that takes more steps and more time. Obviously I know that, I'm not a moron, no need to defend everything about BB. Being a fanboi helps nothing, the more they improve, the better it is for all of us.

01-22-15 01:50 PM
    Where did I said you were? Just responding to what u wrote.

From Classic
    01-22-15 02:15 PM

This. Also clicking the trackpad should allow you to start typing the password like on OS7, instead of the extra step to hit enter or ok.

This isn't trackpad related, but if the display is off without being password locked, and I hit a key to check what time it is, when I hit the top power button I expect the display to go back to sleep. Instead it wakes the phone. Now if the phone is password locked, and I hit a key to see the time, the power button will then turn the display off (I much prefer the latter, and it makes sense for these to work the same whether password locked or not) it's something I'm very much used to doing on OS7.
    Other than that, thanks for the tips ;-)

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 02:26 PM

I completely understand what you're saying. I don't currently have the Classic (I have the Q10) and that is a feature I loved and was hoping BlackBerry brought back to the Classic.....Maybe in future updates hopefully they will fix.

Another tip I hope comes to the Classic is basically the same thing OP said in #1 but instead of swiping up to select everything above or on that line how about swiping down to select everything on the "line" below....Not sure if this is possible on the Classic...

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 09:52 PM
    I completely understand what you're saying. I don't currently have the Classic (I have the Q10) and that is a feature I loved and was hoping BlackBerry brought back to the Classic.....Maybe in future updates hopefully they will fix.

Another tip I hope comes to the Classic is basically the same thing OP said in #1 but instead of swiping up to select everything above or on that line how about swiping down to select everything on the "line" below....Not sure if this is possible on the Classic...

Posted via CB10
    Just have to point out, there isn't a single "tip" in my post. I have no clue why berger out of the blue decided to change my title to something that has nothing to do with my post. But yah, I hope they make these IMPROVEMENTS to the trackpad in a future update...

01-22-15 10:12 PM
    Regardless, here's a tip:

When pressing the Menu button on an email, rather than having to scroll to bottom of list & select more, one can swipe left on trackpad to bring up the second list of options.
    03-04-15 07:01 AM