When I switched to the Q10 I didn't know how I would manage without my beloved trackpad or (better) trackball. But then I got used to the touch screen even though my stubby fingers seemed to touch the five words surrounding the one I was after. Now with my Classic, I'm trying to retrain by brain to use the trackpad again but there is this initial lag before it realizes that I want to move the curser - what else would I want to do? (at least where I wasn't pushing the trackpad button down). I can't think of a thing you would swipe over the trackpad to do where you didn't want the cursor to move or the screen to scroll or to jump to the next icon. What is it waiting for?
    Of course once the lag is done the cursor shoots along - usually too far, because your finger keeps dragging impatiently waiting for some kind of result. I've monkey'd with the settings for horiz and vert, and I've got a speed I like but that initial lag is anything but digitally proportional. What decade is this?
    Is there a trick?
    06-26-16 10:56 PM
    You shouldn't be experiencing any lag.

With these last few topics you've created, it makes me wonder. Is the phone brand new out of the box, and still trying to pull data to update?
    Do you have adequate memory on the phone? It's good to keep at least 1.5gigs free, but a little more never hurts.

What version of the OS are you running?

Also, every once in a while (I do it every few weeks) it's alright to perform a reset on the phone by pushing and holding the volume up and volume down buttons. Hold these two buttons for ~20 seconds, then release them. (Simply ignore the pop-up that says you've just taken a screenshot.)
    This type of a reset simulates a hard reset, and should clear/compress data better than simply holding the power button for 3 seconds.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 11:51 PM
    Ah there's the reset trick. In the past I would pull the battery once a week and I miss that with this sealed case. And you are right - the power off just doesn't quite do it - although given the insanely slow reboot, you would think it would be coming up from dead. I'll give that volume up down a whirl.
    Latest OS is uptodate as of yesterday. It's been out of the box about a month but I've been taking it slow as the last two Q10s were lemons and I want to be sure it's the devices and not something I'm adding to them. It's very possible that with all the problems, my provider (Rogers in Canada) has not wanted to honor the warranty with new devices and I've been sent refurbs that themselves got sent back due to problems, but I've been assured it is new. (but really? this is phone number 3 within a year after decades of Bolds without issues)
    6.4 of 16gb used. No external card yet.

And again thanks for the thorough replies. You are a spectacular resource.
    06-27-16 12:11 AM
    Hey that might have just done it. (Volume up down reset) I can now delete items that don't have a trash icon next to them. Track pad not quite as laggy. I will keep an eye on it and report back.

Thanks again
    06-27-16 12:29 AM
    Good!
    I always laugh at the typical 'did you turn it off and on again?' responses, but sometimes a reset actually helps!

If you have any other questions, ask!

Also, since you mentioned this is your first Classic, here: (and thank Slagman, since I took his fancy list :P )

1. To minimize an app, press the call end button. Simple enough, but you can build on that. From the homescreen with the apps in active frame (minimized), highlighting one and pressing the back key will close it. So combine this with the fact that pressing call end will minimize it, if you want to outright close a program, all you have to do is press call end, then back, since it highlights the app you just minimized automatically. The benefits to this are that not only do you not need to move your thumb as much, but you can do this without looking at your phone. Swiping up and touching the x requires looking.
    2. While in an app, pressing the BB button will open the overflow menu (3 dots on the bottom right). If that menu has more than one page, simply swipe on the trackpad in the direction of the other page and it'll switch.
    3. To access the top menu inside apps, no more need to reach your thumb all the way to the top of the screen, simply long press the BB button.
    4. As long as the phone app isn't minimized (where you might have navigated away from the main phone log), when you bring up the phone app by pressing the call send button, the last call should be highlighted, so to quickly redial the last number, simply press the call send button twice.
    5. From the hub, holding the shift key and swiping up or down with the trackpad will start highlighting messages, let go of shift and you can start selecting messages that are not together by highlighting then pressing down on the trackpad. You can toggle already selected messages on and off by clicking on them. To cancel the selection, press the back button. Press the BB key to open the options for what you just highlighted.
    6. Long pressing with the trackpad does exactly what long touching on the touchscreen does. Trust me, this is super useful.
    7. To select text, just use the trackpad to where you want to start, then hold shift and swipe over the trackpad. Then to copy the text, just press the BB key to open the menu, "Copy" should be highlighted so you can just press the BB key again (basically press BB key twice). Then to paste the text, go to where you want to paste, and same thing, press BB key twice.
    8. In the camera, if you press and hold the trackpad, the camera will refocus, then when you let go of the trackpad it will take the photo.
    9. In an email, just press the BB button twice to send, unless you have text you have copied that haven't been pasted yet. If that's the case and you still want to send, make use of tip #2 and swipe in the direction of the "more" option on your trackpad, then hit the trackpad or BB key.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-16 12:39 AM
    I have been powering down with the top power button but this is the first time I've known about the volume up down trick and that seems to be different enough to have made an effect.
    That list is terrific - most I have already been adopted or accidentally stumbled upon when subconsciously channeling my Bold days, (the discovery always accompanied by an audible "who knew?"). But that send email with the BB button is killer! I use the phone with one hand and I have been complaining since I can't remember when that they moved the "send" up to the top - thumb cramp! What a time saver that one will be. (add to that my own personal touch screen experience where i have to hit send 5 or 6 times) I
    And now that I'm playing, the track pad button push does the same thing. No need to worry about stuff still in the clipboard.

Now if I can only get them to allow the home screen icons to fill up from the bottom - you know, where your thumb is! I'd rather have more home screens with fewer icons, the bulk across the bottom one or two rows, than have to either fill the screen to get the ones I use most on the bottom or just have stuff at the top.

I still have issues with the speed. Why cant I start typing when i say compose - it always misses the first few words. Am I really faster than a 1.5ghz dual core processor? Same goes for dialing a number when not in the phone app. Wow that takes an eternity for the number to populate assuming it even catches all the digits. I'm hoping that reset with help with these issues as well.
    06-27-16 12:57 AM
    Now if I can only get them to allow the home screen icons to fill up from the bottom - you know, where your thumb is! I'd rather have more home screens with fewer icons, the bulk across the bottom one or two rows, than have to either fill the screen to get the ones I use most on the bottom or just have stuff at the top.

I still have issues with the speed. Why cant I start typing when i say compose - it always misses the first few words. Am I really faster than a 1.5ghz dual core processor? Same goes for dialing a number when not in the phone app. Wow that takes an eternity for the number to populate assuming it even catches all the digits. I'm hoping that reset with help with these issues as well.
    Check out Theme Builder http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59977890
    You can add blank icons at the top of your screen, so your actual icons remain on the bottom.

If you want commands like dial and compose to be faster, you can keep Assistant open and minimized. With Assistant already open, I find it never misses a beat

Posted via CB10
    06-27-16 09:41 AM
    Check out Theme Builder http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59977890
    You can add blank icons at the top of your screen, so your actual icons remain on the bottom.

If you want commands like dial and compose to be faster, you can keep Assistant open and minimized. With Assistant already open, I find it never misses a beat

Posted via CB10
    Was going to reply about the blank icons, but undefinederror beat me to it. They recently improved Assistant immensely and never mentioned it. I avoided using it because it was pretty terrible before, but a post on these forums made me try it out and it was actually pretty good...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    06-27-16 12:38 PM