I'm calling it now, I thoroughly believe that the Q20 will flop just because of the tool belt. I used to use a torch 9800 which had a touch screen and a toolbelt, aside from scrolling through long walls of text, I never touched the trackpad. I used the the toolbelt only to access menus (because I had to.) Now that we have BB10 and no need for a toolbelt, I believe that consumers will be thoroughly confused as to why they have redundant buttons instead of more screen real estate or a bigger keyboard.

I'm calling it now, the Q20 will flop. ( Unless BlackBerry gets their marketing department in shape. But with more focus going towards enterprise, my expectations are low. )

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 10:11 AM
    Not sure how you can make such a prediction. Would you care to elaborate with actual data?
    04-06-14 10:14 AM
    If will be a hit since the BlackBerry 10 OS requires a steep learning curve! All dem swipes

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    04-06-14 10:16 AM
    Amazing you can share such wisdom and foresight on a device not seen or known much about yet.

Posted via CB10
    slagman5, acovey, wincyUt and 3 others like this.
    04-06-14 10:19 AM
    Everyone will have their own opinion, which is fine. We won't know until the device launches and we start seeing the sales numbers. At that point, we'll know who is/was closer to the mark.

FWIW, remember that these devices are more-or-less intended for the Enterprise market. In those cases, the company will probably decide which device they are providing to their employees. So, if they decide Q20, that's what the employees will get. Of course, some companies may offer a choice between Q20 and Z30 (or other combinations).
    04-06-14 10:26 AM
    I doubt it will flop, editing messages wise, the trackpad will ALWAYS be superior. Having big thumbs, I find it difficult to choose certain letters in words which have to be adjusted, even with the 9790's smaller screen, this was never an issue, with the trackpad.

I believe it will be very successful because you're bringing the excellent BlackBerry 10 OS with great features of the past.

Posted via SQN100-3
    acovey likes this.
    04-06-14 10:27 AM
    I had a torch and the belt was an excellent way to work with my documents and input edits.

I predict that the future is coming.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    04-06-14 10:30 AM
    When the news of the tool belt coming back first came out I thought it was a bad move. The more I think about it, the more I'm willing to give it a try. In a weird way I do kind of miss navigating my phone with the track pad of my old 9650. I would think a bb10 device with a track pad could be the ultimate phone and will be even easier to navigate menus and text one handed with the track pad, but still have the ability to swipe when wanted. I think of the q20 flops it will be for lack of marketing or other reasons. Just my humble opinion.

Posted via the almighty Z
    KDB84 likes this.
    04-06-14 10:31 AM
    [INFO]Because this is the kind of thread that could get a little "animated", let's all remember to debate the topic -- without getting personal stuff involved.

Thanks all.[/INFO]
    04-06-14 10:35 AM
    It was never about the toolbelt. Other phones dont have this. Blackberry should understand that if you want a consumer device to be successful then it has to have a vast ecosystem. Toolbelt clearly isnt for the consumers. We are not the target market of the toolbelt. This would go with the business people.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 10:51 AM
    What works for you is not what works for other people. I'm not touchscreen friendly, just as I hate driving cars with automatic transmissions, because I like having more control over what's going on.

I will buy an all touch phone only when every legacy BlackBerry on the planet has spontaneously exploded, and even then I would sooner check out Android devices just because they have actual menu and back buttons. The Q20 is being developed for people like me, not iPhone lovers.
    04-06-14 12:00 PM
    I see your point, but I doubt they will make the belt a redundancy of what's available on the touchscreen. It could be very cool if you had quick access to menus, back, etc and also more on-screen implementations
    04-06-14 12:22 PM
    We're making predictions based on our own experience? I'll bite.

I think the Q20 will be the best-selling BB10 device yet.

I have been using a Z30 as my primary device since November.

The recent announcement that BlackBerry would continue to produce and support Bold 9900 series devices prompted me to actually procure a used 9930 to try out for myself, since the only legacy device I had used was a Curve 8530.

I got my Bold yesterday and have been tinkering with it.

I can honestly say the combination of physical keyboard, toolbelt, AND touch screen is the most versatile, efficient, and adaptive interface I have ever used on any smartphone.

In fact, I am seriously contemplating using the 9930 as my primary device until I can get my hands on a Q20.

If any device is going to entice hold-out Bold 9900/9930 owners to finally make the switch to BB10, it's the Q20.
    heraiz, slagman5 and rotorwrench like this.
    04-06-14 12:35 PM
    Well seeing that BB10 in itself has turned out to be a flop, yes I too can see the Q20 as being a flop also.
    04-06-14 12:50 PM
    Toolbelt among other things, are meant for those who prefer to quit an app at the touch of a button. Not for those who enjoy swiping to minimize the app and then poke the small cross at the corner to close it, and the chance to do it all over again if not successful. I prefer straight to the point.
    Acidwire likes this.
    04-06-14 01:19 PM
    Well seeing that BB10 in itself has turned out to be a flop, yes I too can see the Q20 as being a flop also.
    I just cannot see how the Q20 can actually flop, to me that is impossible. Business users will adore it, they will find it quick and snappy than the Bold and be productive right away. It will be seamless, they won't even know BB10 is inside it.
    acovey likes this.
    04-06-14 01:29 PM
    I'm willing to give it a shot, I did like the precision if the track pad. I think it would be cool to bring back the look of the bold 9000, but more updated hardware obviously. I like the leather back, put some metal bezel rather than plastic, edge to edge lcd screen, charging contacts for cradle accessory, slimmer design, etc. If they are going to call it the classic they may as well go all out classic!

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    04-06-14 01:33 PM
    It will probably flop because there's nothing here for the carriers to be excited about. They gave the Z30 a pretty hard time when Blackberry was in a stronger position. This isn't even as compelling. It costs money to adopt and test a phone on their networks and we have seen that carriers don't just do this automatically.
    04-06-14 01:33 PM
    Not sure how you can make such a prediction. Would you care to elaborate with actual data?
    I don't have any data, these thoughts are purely based on my opinion and speculation. I personally don't like the idea, others might.

I just really dislike the concept and think some other people may as well.

If it doesn't flop then I'm wrong about my prediction, but my opinion still stands.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 01:44 PM
    Its not gonna flop. I personally know a few people who are qwerty lovers who just can get their head around gestures.

I know it seems like they didnt really try but these are busy businessmen who dont have all day to play with their phones. Many of them are not entirely tech savvy as well. They just want a good phone which is easy to use. Minimal learning curve.

Most of these people are either still using their BBOS or have changed to iphone but at same time still not liking the who iOS flow of things.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    acovey likes this.
    04-06-14 01:52 PM
    the sun will rise tomorrow...that's a fact....saying that this phone will flop....is a prediction that might be so wrong; i hope when it is proven so, you will come back and write a 100 line " I am sorry, I was wrong" page
    acovey likes this.
    04-06-14 02:09 PM
    I would be willing to try a new BlackBerry phone with the toolbelt.

As a newer BlackBerry user (first personal device Z10) , but used my company's Bold (I believe) a few time... the old menu systems bugged me. I never got used to the keyboard.

That said, I am able to do a lot of work with my Z10. I actually did a presentation with BlackBerry Express with it (kudos to the team!). However there are a few nuances which I would like:

- A home button since for some apps, it takes a few swipes up for it to work. When seeing my children (less than 7) trying to use my BlackBerry, I see them having a tougher time getting home compared to my wife's iPhone. I taught them to swipe but they get frustrated when it takes a few times to exit their games (or accidentally minimized). It would be nice with a tool belt to have the home button do the minimizing.

- Selecting words although getting better over times, also take a few presses for it to work. Even then, when it gets to the corner of the screen, it (BB10) becomes very hard to get the cursor to the right position. Frustrating at times. I can see why a busy CEO wouldn't want to have to go through that.

- Given that communication is the key for any business. I can see why easy dialing and hanging up very important. Dedicated keys for it would be bonus that no other touch phone has anymore.

If the toolbelt can solve these issues, it would improve the usability of the BB10 and hopefully spur adoption.
    acovey likes this.
    04-06-14 02:19 PM
    If you don't like the idea then don't buy the phone! That is why BlackBerry has so many options! So people can find one that suits them the best!
    Thunderbuck and acovey like this.
    04-06-14 02:33 PM
    People wanting proof as to whether or not it will be a failure need look no further than EVERY OTHER PHONE ON THE MARKET and Blackberries current marketshare...I have to agree with the op on this one. I have a bad feeling this will not turn out well. The worst part is it could undo any good the z3 brings to the market and kill any future in handsets..

Posted via CB10
    203 likes this.
    04-06-14 04:00 PM
    I don't have any data, these thoughts are purely based on my opinion and speculation. I personally don't like the idea, others might.

I just really dislike the concept and think some other people may as well.

If it doesn't flop then I'm wrong about my prediction, but my opinion still stands.

Posted via CB10
    And once again, assumption triumphs over reality.

The toolbelt doesn't do anything for me, either. Its inclusion in the Q20 in no way makes the phone more attractive to me (though the other specs just might). But we've seen many users here call the trackpad a dealbreaker. Who am I to argue? Microsoft is bringing the Start menu back to Windows, too, after spending the past two years arguing until they were blue in the face that users didn't need it anymore.
    acovey likes this.
    04-06-14 04:42 PM
44 12