Ok, so according to Ruslan Botsyurko who has a Classic review unit to mess around with, apparently pressing the end call button will minimize the app you're in. So will holding the back button. And so will swiping up from the bottom of the screen... So, that's THREE different ways to do the same thing. Yet, there isn't a single way to CLOSE an app outright with one step. Why didn't BB keep it the way it was in legacy devices where holding the back button closed the app? Does that just make too much sense or what? I'm no expert in app development or software development, can someone please enlighten me why it appears to be impossible to simply give us a one step way to close apps?

What do you guys think, am I [wrong] for wanting this function? Or does it make some sort of sense?
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 10-20-14 at 06:35 PM.
    VeryBumpy likes this.
    10-15-14 10:15 PM
    Only read the title but why not swipe up and to the left...closes the app...that would work for me. Hope this is something bbry considers

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 10:24 PM
    Because BlackBerry 10 uses active frames, which are useful for some apps.
    Bbos didn't have any such things

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 10:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Ok... and nobody is saying to change that. You are not FORCED to close the apps and I never said to. I said to have the OPTION to close it by long pressing the back button within an app. If you want to minimize it to an active frame, then simply swipe up from the bottom of the screen to minimize it, or press the end call button. Right now, the end call button, long pressing back, AND swiping up all do the exact same thing. Are you a fan of redundancy?
    10-16-14 12:59 AM
    Only read the title but why not swipe up and to the left...closes the app...that would work for me. Hope this is something bbry considers

Posted via CB10
    I actually pitched the idea for swipe up and left to be a kind of soft convenience key, where doing that will trigger an option that you can customize, like to launch a specific app or whatever...
    10-16-14 01:00 AM
    There's no reason to not have a way to close an app at once. This can be achieved with the tool belt by holding the back button. On a touch screen this can be achieved by swiping up further. The same goes for the hub. Two ways to Exit. Swipe up from the bottom and swipe left from the right bezel. One of the two should reset the hub to standard view.
    10-16-14 01:33 AM
    IMHO, the hold back button to close action was needed because there's no way you can get back to the Home Screen quickly if your phone hanged up due to the app. Unlike right now, the active frames way of closing apps can easily kill trashing apps. Plus it prevents the back button from being killed early too.
    10-16-14 02:03 AM
    swipes should also be adjustable for left-handed people
    10-16-14 02:05 AM
    I've been asking for this for a long time. Sometimes I want to just one an app. Not minimize and then close it

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 09:32 AM
    According To Ruslan in the other thread, 2 clicks of the back button will kill an app? Actually minimize then kill, but hey thats pretty easy.
    10-16-14 10:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    Active frame is not that special. It is just a task manager with bigger frame. BlackBerry just make hype out of it.

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    10-16-14 10:52 AM
    According To Ruslan in the other thread, 2 clicks of the back button will kill an app? Actually minimize then kill, but hey thats pretty easy.
    That's not too bad, although I'm sure he meant long press back, then click back. Because pressing back twice within an app should just go back 2 screens in that app... It's better than nothing, but it just makes more sense for long press to close the app since it basically does the same thing as 2 other procedures.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-16-14 12:39 PM
    He mentioned that end call and then back will close an app.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 04:26 PM
    He mentioned that end call and then back will close an app.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, I know, still 2 steps like swipe up and tap x, but still a slight improvement since you don't need to fumble to hit the little x...

10-16-14 05:00 PM
    It's a very quick 2 steps to close an app.
    Making it just one step would be annoying might mean app got closed by accident. If you make the one step a press and hold to get aground accidents then the single hold would be longer than the current two steps.
    BlackBerry got it right this time.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 05:23 PM
    It's a very quick 2 steps to close an app.
    Making it just one step would be annoying might mean app got closed by accident. If you make the one step a press and hold to get aground accidents then the single hold would be longer than the current two steps.
    BlackBerry got it right this time.

Posted via CB10
    You'll be surprised if you look at the actual time differences between pressing and long pressing. It's actually not that long. Pressing one button, then moving your thumb to press another one is almost guaranteed to be longer than simply long pressing one button. But like I've said, it's better than nothing, it's not bad, I just don't get why they needed 3 ways to do the same thing in one step. Just for the sake of minimizing redundancy, I would have preferred for long pressing back to be for closing the app, which is how it was in legacy devices...

10-16-14 05:43 PM
    If it's a quick and intuitive way to close an app 2 steps is better than 1.

BB10 will be the first OS capable of closing apps from full screen in two continuous steps

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 11:23 AM
    Active frame is not that special. It is just a task manager with bigger frame. BlackBerry just make hype out of it.

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    It also let's you view notifications in the active frames and let you easily switch from apps using true multitasking.

You are UNDERhyping it

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 11:45 AM
    If it's a quick and intuitive way to close an app 2 steps is better than 1.

BB10 will be the first OS capable of closing apps from full screen in two continuous steps

Posted via CB10
    Um, how exactly is 2 steps better than one? Should we change everything that takes only one step into two then? Should we add an arbitrary step to answering an incoming call? How about swipe to unlock, how about change it to swipe plus an icon press, just because...

10-19-14 02:17 PM
    but, but, i don't have a back button. the reason i went for a bb10 device is to get rid of buttons. i could have bought an android phone for that
    10-20-14 06:40 AM
    Could use a 1 step for closing apps, don't really keep any open. On the same saving a step point, I would still like to have the brightness slider already in the quick settings rather than having to tap the icon as well........

Z30 Pooooooooower!
    10-20-14 08:34 AM
    Brightness slider is in the quick settings tab
    10-20-14 10:02 AM
    Yeah, but the slider only pops up after you press the brightness icon.the slider could be there from the beginning

Z30 Pooooooooower!
    10-20-14 11:26 AM
    If it helps I would also like to be able to close apps with one motion.

Seeing as similar OSs have that ability, and it can be added in a few ways, I don't see why not.

Make it an option so that people who accidentally trigger it can turn it off, and there ya go, done.

Via passport
    slagman5 and DenimAndLeather like this.
    10-20-14 01:57 PM
    Hey so Backfire and big picture, I apologize we have a different opinion on our priorities. I currently have a Q10 so I obviously know how to use BB10 without the buttons. But being that the Classic will have these buttons, and this is the Classic sub-forum (unless I posted this in the wrong sub-forum, which isn't outside the realm of possibility so I apologize if this is the case) I just feel that there shouldn't be so much redundancy and feel that the phone's functions should be as optimized and as efficient as possible. I'm sorry if you do not share those same priorities. Please forgive my "neediness."

10-20-14 03:11 PM
35 12