After having 4 CLASSICS - the original, and two replacements that were bad, and now them sending me a fourth one - due to defective keyboard - DT issue and various keys not working at all - I'm taking a vacation from BB. The PKB was the most important aspect of owning a BB device. With the problems I've had - over and over again - well, frankly, I've lost patience. It's not about apps per se but that's been an issue as well. Too many jury rigged machinations to get what I want/need (such as Pebble). Will revisit BB if/when the Slider comes out. Would stick with BB for an all touch if they had a current device but alas such a product is unavailable, Z30, and Leap don't cut it. Love the brand. Love the OS. IMO BB10 is the best of them all. Want to support Canadian company. Sadly I'm out of runway. Will go over to the 'enemy' for a bit. See how that works out. Hope the Slider meets/exceeds expectations. Last kick at the BB can for a while as it were - for me anyway.
    Last edited by mfreedmn97; 07-02-15 at 09:11 AM.
    hlg8888 likes this.
    07-02-15 08:56 AM
    To have to replace your Classic "FOUR times" is surprising. However, you gave it a try and it didn't live up to your expectations. Sure hope you find a device on "the other side" that works to your satisfaction.
    07-02-15 09:02 AM
    How long did you have your Classic?

 Classic
    07-02-15 09:04 AM
    Four times for real. Clarified as : Original had dreaded DT issue and blown pixel(s) on screen. They asked me to do a firmware reload to fix it. Seriously ?? Replacement # 1 they sent was clearly a refurb. Track pad was crooked. Two keys didn't click properly - no tactile feedback when pressed. Replacement # 2 they sent was much better - I would say perfect even - but within three weeks of using it, the space bar went bad (could hear membrane underneath key was cracked or torn or whatever it was to make the noise it made every time I pressed it). Got RMA for that one too. Sending me the fourth device now - on which I will leave the plastic and promptly put it on Kijiji for sale.....I just cant' fight the good fight any longer. Like i said will revisit the Slider. BB really needs to get that 'right'. I don't care how much it costs. It has to be excellent quality, look, feel, specs.
    07-02-15 09:11 AM
    Original device when they first came out - so what is that ? Like 5 months or so ? Second one about 1 hour. Third one about three weeks. 4th one coming today.
    07-02-15 09:14 AM
    Original device when they first came out - so what is that ? Like 5 months or so ? Second one about 1 hour. Third one about three weeks. 4th one coming today.
    I've only had my Classic a few weeks with no issues (knock on wood). I am hoping mine is a later build that may have some of the issues resolved that have affected earlier units. Anyway good luck with your new phone choice.

 Classic
    07-02-15 09:26 AM
    I can absolutely understand your decision. I had to send back 6, YES SIX Classics to finally receive one that has no issues. Now I love it but hell what kind of QA agreement does BlackBerry have with Foxconn??

Oh yes, and with issues I mean:
    - Dead pixels
    - Uneven keyboard backlight
    - Gaps between housing and screen
    - Yellowish screen panel
    - Keyboard key coating issues

And so forth ^^

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 09:37 AM
    At the risk of being Captain Obvious I suppose this is the reality with a device with moving parts. Touch are panels of glass in a housing - nothing moves, nothing needs to be aligned so to speak. PKB = precision and then wear and tear and I agree that Foxconn (if they are the ones building this product) have dropped the ball on QA. I read so many posts about DT issue. This is clearly a defective keyboard issue not firmware solution. Dead pixels are probably everywhere but hard to see sometimes. Regardless if BB has any plan or hope of maintaining a hw strategy stuff like this has to go away.
    07-02-15 10:01 AM
    Try a Q5 for awhile. Low cost. Low risk. Gets the job done.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 06:37 PM
    Well this is embarrassing. And possibly the shortest vacation of all time. Flight was good. Hotel was nice. Weather was awful. Food was awful. I'm coming home after 3 days.

1. iOS is a p i g for email and messaging in general. Omg, 'carp' to say the least. Trundling around the message handling in this os is cumbersome, frustrating, and tiresome. Hub is light years ahead of the curve. BB has only to release this to the planet to be back in the game. No one would be in their right mind to go back once they used it.

2. I want to kill the home button. Period.

3. Multitasking ? Anyone know the word 'dreck' or am I being to harsh'.

4. Battery life ? What ? I had to charge my phone twice to get through the day. Maybe it was me - not 100% sure on that one. I do know for a fact with heavy use I've got 20% or so left on my Classic at 11PM. On the iPhone I see " your device is at 20%" by noon.

5. Full touch keyboard better than I expected but pkb still rules. Perhaps even with dt it still rules.

6. Spell check and multi language handling far better on BB (imo).

I did however love the screen real estate, and the speed of the device. Fluid, Smooth and all the apps I ever could want.

iPhone is a slick device with a slick os. But as a tool for business, there is no comparison.

I'm gonna retire one day. Then I'll buy an iPhone. For now, there's no place like home.

Stop laughing.

P. S. At this risk of incurring the wrath of CB Nation an Android Slider with BB10 ui and high end specs allowing best of both worlds is my dream device now. They MUST get that right. No second chance. But if they do......
    07-06-15 08:07 AM
    I can understand the frustration. Well, to me it is a bit scary to hear about such massive problems.

Currently being on a Passport I was planning to get a Classic when I switch to Verizon. However, I mainly like BlackBerry for their reliability and for their keyboards. For that I am willing to give up on app choice. But if they can't manage to get exactly those things right it makes the Classic kind of obsolete.

However, I hope you are an exception when it comes to those kinds of quality issues.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 09:43 AM
    OP, it sounds like you would be able to work around a device that didn't have a PKB if it worked well. Have you considered a Z10? I'm getting one to back up my Classic. It is slightly smaller than the Classic and slightly lighter than the Q10. Some of the tech is probably outdated but the 5 basic functions I need a phone for, the Z10 seems to do well.

I did my research over the weekend on CB and YouTube, and given the fact I'm not a fan of virtual keyboards, I'll be able to overlook it to get past the DT that might be in my future and still be able to be on a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 10:22 AM
    OP, it sounds like you would be able to work around a device that didn't have a PKB if it worked well. Have you considered a Z10? I'm getting one to back up my Classic. It is slightly smaller than the Classic and slightly lighter than the Q10. Some of the tech is probably outdated but the 5 basic functions I need a phone for, the Z10 seems to do well.

I did my research over the weekend on CB and YouTube, and given the fact I'm not a fan of virtual keyboards, I'll be able to overlook it to get past the DT that might be in my future and still be able to be on a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Battery life.
    07-06-15 10:27 AM
    I saw that too with the battery. It does have a removable battery and there are a couple of reputable companies that sell larger (up to 3800) batteries for the Z. Just wanted to throw some ideas at ya.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 10:43 AM
    I'm just going to tough it out. BB sent me another replacement Classic. Maybe I'll get lucky with this one. Slider not too far off. I'll just have to man up. Thanks for feedback/comments all.
    07-06-15 10:45 AM
    So these defective classics were directly from BlackBerry?

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    07-06-15 10:53 AM
    First one from ShopBB. The rest via RMA process. So yes, all from BB.
    07-06-15 10:56 AM
    I hate typing on my ipad more than anything in the world. It's hard to believe that prior to IOS 8, Apple banned 3rd party keyboard apps.

It's always a relief to type an email on my desktop or my Classic.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.2205
    07-06-15 10:59 AM
    Believe me, you WILL come back to the Classic! There is no better phone for our needs obviously. Since December I tried the HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact, not any could get close to the Classic in terms of handling, efficiency and comfort in everyday onehanded use!

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 03:47 PM