What a joke.

Sure I'm not one of those people OVERLY obsessed with specs but when they are not priced appropriately, it becomes an issue. I really want to like this phone but it's just drawback after drawback preventing me from making a solid purchase.

* No removable batteries was a huge let down.
    * The specs are a laughable.
    * Tool belt issues.

Before BlackBerry gets my hard earned money on the Classic, I will need price reductions to roughly $250 minimum. Guess I will be sticking with the Z10 for a little longer.

via CB10 - CH(s): (C0012477B , C003B32E9) - OS 10.2 Rogers
    12-17-14 10:18 PM
    Use the search button next time there are enough threads on this.

While a non removable battery is a no go for me the phone is still their best offer by far since the 9930.

You will wait a long time for a 250 price tag the Bold still is at 299!
    I mean, I'll activate my Bold tomorrow while waiting for the n4 but if it wasn't for that beast the classic would have been tempting If it had something like os 8 (focused on toolbelt experience with less gestures
    12-17-14 10:26 PM
    I don't think you're considering the costs for a company like BlackBerry to manufacture a phone, the external materials, and who the device is aimed at in addition to the fact that they need to charge a premium in order to even make a slight profit.

Lots more goes into the overall end cost to the consumer than you've given thought to...

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 10:29 PM
    The specs don't warrant a $449.99 price tag??? you are absolutely right! but the 'BRAND' warrants $449.99

THINK FELLA! they need to make money and this is blackberry... the king of the hill during the 90's/early 2000's
    12-17-14 10:50 PM
    The price is not worth it..yes..but people will buy it and BlackBerry knows that.

BlackBerry Passport - 10.3 - WIND Mobile
    12-17-14 10:57 PM
    * The specs are a laughable.
    * Tool belt issues.
    via CB10 - CH(s): (C0012477B , C003B32E9) - OS 10.2 Rogers
    Which one of the specs?
    What issues with the tool belt? I've been using one for quite awhile now and I have no idea what issues with the tool belt you are referring to
    12-17-14 11:02 PM
    No one is forcing you to buy the phone. I think it is a good price considering the cost for design, development, parts, production, shipping, OS development, packaging.

If you know so much about pricing, please tell us all how much each of the components that I listed cost.

BIG HINT: All those costs will amount to over $200 which is all you want to pay. Good luck on waiting for the price to ever get that low.
    12-17-14 11:03 PM
    i get so upset how stupid people are. except android none of the phones are priced according to the specs, because the product is HW + SW together... you pay for:

-BB10
    -Classic specific extra code
    -R&D
    -Also the hardware isnt simply the same. theres new antenna, bigger battery, bigger LCD screen and so on.
    -Marketing (yes, there is some)
    -Educating carrier clerks

Take the oneplus one as an example:

-no software costs, they simply just install cyanogenmod, which is free
    -no marketing, the phone markets itself at that price
    -no carrier support, but even if there is, its just an android that everyone can handle by now
    12-17-14 11:05 PM
    Who cares about 450.00 it's a phone I'm using it daily I buy stupid stuff all the time, how is 950 dollars for an iPhone 6+ worth it. I ordered one without thinking twice, I've never bought a blackberry for specs.
    12-17-14 11:13 PM
    Who cares about 450.00 it's a phone I'm using it daily I buy stupid stuff all the time, how is 950 dollars for an iPhone 6+ worth it. I ordered one without thinking twice, I've never bought a blackberry for specs.
    exactly. iphones cost about $250 to produce. but software and marketing still costs a ****ton
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    12-17-14 11:17 PM
    When I heard the 450 price tag unlocked and no contract I was happy, I would have paid 600 for it and almost wish they had beefed it up with more luxurious materials and more specs/features and done that.
    NYTOC83, sk8er_tor and dubbsix like this.
    12-17-14 11:20 PM
    I understand your point but save for the Vertu which for obvious reasons is hard to get no other Handy has all the buying hurdles of the One plus

450 for a well built phone is fair keep in mind it will be something like 99 with a contract. Personally I would have prefered it to be their flagship instead of the PP
    12-17-14 11:21 PM
    I just wanted them to drop the price by $100 like they did for the passport. Just for the first day or two didn't even have to be a week. They were selling them at the release Events for $350!

Edit: I will mostly definitely drop the $500 CDN for a blue one though.
    Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 11:22 PM
    I think it is a good price considering the cost for design, development, parts, production, shipping, OS development, packaging.
    Yes, if you start making a 2005 car from scratch, you'll have almost same expenses like making a 2015 car. What's the point making a 2005 car in 2015 though? Classic is a Q10 in slightly larger body. Hardware technology is the same, keyboard technology is the same, OS is long awaited BB10 update for all devices. Can you argue with that? Parts for 2 years old hardware are cheap (who else is still using this SoC on a new device?), design has minimal changes (Bold/Q10 hybrid), shipping is the same for all devices, packaging cost is no different too. BlackBerry decided to spend a lot of money to produce a 2012 phone. Phones need processing power not only to run the OS smoothly. Have you seen the difference in loading/scrolling Maps (and any other app) on Q10 and Passport? Size... speed does matter.
    12-17-14 11:27 PM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    It will sell very well .. and like all tech products .. over time .. it will be reduced in price .. buy what you can afford and what suits you .. but just because YOU think its overpriced does not mean that it is! .. lol ….
    mk2234, seacan2 and ponpiri like this.
    12-17-14 11:28 PM
    Yes, if you start making a 2005 car from scratch, you'll have almost same expenses like making a 2015 car. What's the point making a 2005 car in 2015 though? Classic is a Q10 in slightly larger body. Hardware technology is the same, keyboard technology is the same, OS is long awaited BB10 update for all devices. Can you argue with that? Parts for 2 years old hardware are cheap (who else is still using this SoC on a new device?), design has minimal changes (Bold/Q10 hybrid), shipping is the same for all devices, packaging cost is no different too. BlackBerry decided to spend a lot of money to produce a 2012 phone. Phones need processing power not only to run the OS smoothly. Have you seen the difference in loading/scrolling Maps (and any other app) on Q10 and Passport? Size... speed does matter.
    either the parts were already paid for to produce q10s, so they used the remaining chips, or the cost of supporting a new hardware would have been more. old stuff dont get cheaper... if noone uses them, its more expensive to produce than the latest chips
    tanzarian likes this.
    12-17-14 11:30 PM
    Do not get it...is it the OP position that BB should sell at cost? last time I looked BB was in the business of making money.... if you google Apple 6 for example...it sells for 699.00 and costs 200 to make.... guess they should be selling it for $299.00..... does the "better" specs warrant a $500 markup......Does not matter what the specs are or how much it costs to make...it is about what the market will bare.... such is the way of business....
    12-17-14 11:31 PM
    I just wanted them to drop the price by $100 like they did for the passport. Just for the first day or two didn't even have to be a week. They were selling them at the release Events for $350!

Edit: I will mostly definitely drop the $500 CDN for a blue one though.
    Posted via CB10
    Well the guys there are all big players they arent going to buy just 1 or 2 they'll buy them for a ton of employees so that discount makes sense.

Sent from my BlackBerry
    12-17-14 11:35 PM
    ...it is about what the market will bare.... such is the way of business....
    This is correct. But in a position of surviving company you must be competitive. There are many other better specs devices in this price range. BlackBerry needs to expand the market, not just to target last die hard BlackBerry users. I like very much my Z10, but I don't see a better replacement coming before 2020. At some point I will be forced to move back to Android, unfortunately.
    meltbox360 likes this.
    12-17-14 11:40 PM
    It's $50 on contract.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    12-17-14 11:45 PM
    Well the guys there are all big players they arent going to buy just 1 or 2 they'll buy them for a ton of employees so that discount makes sense.

Sent from my BlackBerry
    Ya fair enough but still doesn't explain a launch discount. At least here in Canada. Maybe just maybe they will have a boxing day sale or something maybe release the blue one. The $500 is a little steep but I get it. I think we were just spoiled with the Passport deals because they didn't think they were going sell all that well. They know they can clean up off the enterprise upgrades.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 11:47 PM
    Trust me I understand that and I think it would be a nice gesture but John already hinted at pre orders FAR exceeding their expectations during the event.

So it could be as simple as them knowing that they dont have to offer any incentives thanks to a high demand.

Just as a comparison in Austria the Bold strated at 749 Euro off contract which is around 800 dollar it dropped off but stayed at 549 for a looong time and now it still sells for 249

Sent from my BlackBerry
    12-18-14 12:07 AM
    agree.. it is overpriced.. $300 dollars would be a better price..
    12-18-14 12:24 AM
    Then this is not a phone for you but there are others who wants this phone. You can wait 6months or next year and it will go down to that price. The price to me is ok considering that my experience of Q10 and blackberry in general is good. What I consider a good smartphone is it will last at least 10hrs of medium to heavy usage, a great signal,a breeze when typing long emails and sms, good call quality. Must have a premium feel when hold and not too light nor too heavy. To me I don't care really the specs as long it is smooth to operate and while running a few apps. Also I don't play games in mobile phone so perhaps that's the reason. Camera and game apps is secondary to me but to have a good camera can also get handy in certain situation.

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74, mk2234 and seacan2 like this.
    12-18-14 12:40 AM
    Haha, funny how the fanboys are trying to defend the 2012 hardware and the high price tag. Never understood people who defend every decision of a manufacturer just because the identify themselves with a certain brand. One can use a phone and still be able to have an objective view on it...
    12-18-14 12:58 AM
297 123 ...