I'm the proud new owner of a Verizon Blackberry Classic as of earlier this week. Having used a Motorola Q9c (yes - Q9c) since 2008, I was very much looking forward to the Classic, as I had previously tried the Q10 and its earlier software had bugs with ActiveSync (for an Exchange Server) that caused too many critical bugs for me to use it (syncing/timing issues, flag syncing not working properly, etc). In all honesty, I kept my Motorola for so long because it did EXACTLY what I needed it to do - calls, e-mails, text - VERY well and its keyboard was fantastic. I wasn't willing to go with a full touchscreen phone because I needed a good physical keyboard and BB was my only choice. So I was really looking forward to jumping into a modern smartphone with the Classic.

After 2 days of normal (ie. heavy) use, I can say that I'm going to somewhat reluctantly keep the Classic because it's my only choice right now (except for the Q10) for a physical keyboard. I'm also getting more accustomed to the BB10 OS. But I, like MANY others (especially 9900 users), am finding that the Classic is somewhat complicated and requires too many steps to do simple things. BUT here's the interesting part: When I tried the Q10 when it first launched I fell in love with the BB10 OS RIGHT AWAY, which is different than my experience with Classic even thought the OS is practically identical (just 10.3 instead of the older 10.1).

I spent some time trying to figure out why I loved the Q10 experience and I'm mixed on the Classic experience, despite the toolbelt that I was looking forward to, and I think I figured it out: BB10 was designed for a physical keyboard or virtual keyboard phone that DOESN'T have a toolbelt getting in the way. What I mean by this is that the Q10 is designed to combine a keyboard with a touchscreen interface and all actions, aside from keyboard shortcuts, are designed to occur via the touchscreen. That combination was built "from the ground up". The Classic was merely a reactive strategy that BB employed after they a lukewarm response to their initial phone and was a "Top down" implementation with the addition of the toolbelt. The Classic is essentially trying to fit a "square peg into a round hole" but with silly putty, meaning that they managed to stuff the square peg into the round hole but with some splattering so to speak. When you think about some of the actions of the toolbelt and trackpad you'll quick realize that the keys of the toolbelt were integrated into the OS instead of having the OS built around them. I believe that explains why some actions take more steps with the Classic vs the 9900 and why it seems overly complicated in certain circumstances.

BB10 was designed for touchscreen phones with or without a physical keyboard - NOT a toolbelt - and it definitely shows and makes this phone more complicated than it needs to be. I liken this to the difference between how a BMW M3/M4 drives vs a Porsche 911. The Porsche 911 was designed from the ground up and is truly optimized. The BMW M3/M4 is based on the BMW 3-series platform and is forced to design and engineer itself AROUND its 3-series platform, which limits its final product so that it can't truly be optimized as a sports car. Same goes for the Classic. It's toolbelt was designed AROUND BB10 instead of BB10 being designed for it and the end result is less optimal than the 9900 or even my Motorola Q9c in some ways. I'm not giving specific examples right now because I'm honestly too busy with work to type more right now but I'm guessing some of you who read this will be able to give some examples to help others understand what I have in mind...

Anyhow, for those of you who have been struggling to adapt to it, like me, you might want to give the Q10 a try to see if perhaps it's a better fit for you. I'm still surprised just how hard it has been for me to adapt to the Classic vs the Q10 and I'm quite sure the toolbelt is the cause, as its actions aren't always intuitive and so you don't always get the result you expected. To be clear, the Classic is going to be a keeper for me, as I'm hellbent on getting used to it due to the usefulness of the trackpad and physical call/end buttons for me. But this might not be the best choice for everyone, especially for those who are finding it too hard to adapt.

I hope this was all helpful. I'm going to post a comprehensive review of the Classic from my perspective as a longtime keyboard user sometime in the next few days that I hope will help people who are considering the Classic. I really appreciate Crackberry's community, as they have been very helpful for me, so hopefully my posts will help others as well.

Jeremy
    03-05-15 09:24 PM
    Enjoy your Classic! I'm back on my Q10 and enjoying it.

Q10_OS >10.3.1.2267 / 2268 Radio (*_~)
    03-05-15 10:08 PM
    Hey jeremy, you sure love to type and I can see that, I mean who wouldn't if you have a classic.

Whatever you say is absolutely true, but don't we already know that? The toolbelt is a welcome addition to the BlackBerry 10 os and you always have the touch screen. In fact the screen is bigger & brighter than the Q. I mean go ahead, use the Classic as the Q, what's stopping you? All the gestures remain as it is I guess except the call interface. Personally that's what I love in the classic. I find the toolbelt extremely handy specially the send and end buttons (I hated that round on screen slide to answer button that popped up every time I got a call, infact my biggest turnoff in os10). The call interface is so much neater on the classic.
    The overall experience with the classic has been awesome. I'm sure it will grow on you eventually and few years down the line you will state the example of BlackBerry classic! Cheers to that!

Posted via CB10
    Dunmanway Emar and jrsva2008 like this.
    03-05-15 10:20 PM
    "BB10 was designed for touchscreen phones with or without a physical keyboard - NOT a toolbelt - and it definitely shows and makes this phone more complicated than it needs to be. To be clear, the Classic is going to be a keeper for me, as I'm hellbent on getting used to it due to the usefulness of the trackpad and physical call/end buttons for me."
    This is why I'm keeping the Q, while adding the Classic.
    03-05-15 10:20 PM
    Hey jeremy, you sure love to type and I can see that, I mean who wouldn't if you have a classic.

Whatever you say is absolutely true, but don't we already know that?
    I actually don't think a lot people know that or I suspect more 9900 users would try a Q10. I suppose the real thing that was solved is: Why was the Q10 easy to use while the Classic a LOT more complicated. I should have really used that as the title, as I think most people don't realize that the Q10 might be a better solution for them (I'm referring to those who don't own a Q10 and were waiting for the Classic).
    03-05-15 10:28 PM
    Having both a Q10 and a Classic I can honestly say they're pretty much identical. I don't find anything to be confusing at all. The only difference in my mind is how the toolbelt simply offers me an extra way to interact with the OS, meaning I don't even really have to use it at all if I don't want to, but if I want to use it, I can because it is simply 'there'... they are pretty much exactly the same.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 11:38 PM
    The toolbelt is a welcome enhancement for me but I understand where you are coming from. The Classic has a touch OS first and therefore is more cumbersome to use with just shortcuts, making it feel "slower" than the bold.

For me the best of both worlds is the BlackBerry Passport, as I enjoy the virtual row and capacitive keyboard.

The Q10 and Classic have just a screen with too little real estate.

I can still run circles regarding productivity on both and noticed how amazing the intelligent assistant is, when used in conjunction with a physical Keyboard.

With opening up the best parts for all other OS versions, I am happy to get presented with many new pkb devices, I can play with and see what works best for me.

There is always the problem of compromise when you have drastic changes...

Solved: Finally Figured Out What Makes Classic So Complicated / Challenging-workflow.png

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-06-15 12:11 AM
    I see all these post about how the toolbelt doesn't work right with the classic. Maybe I'm missing something or just have been away from BlackBerry for so long but I find it perfect. I think the toolbelt is integrated nicely once you get use to having one again. Just my penny thought from the peanut gallery.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 12:29 AM
    I see all these post about how the toolbelt doesn't work right with the classic. Maybe I'm missing something or just have been away from BlackBerry for so long but I find it perfect. I think the toolbelt is integrated nicely once you get use to having one again. Just my penny thought from the peanut gallery.

Posted via CB10
    It's not that the toolbelt doesn't work right, it's that people want it to function just like their legacy devices, and feel like the new OS was slower and harder to use.

Which is true since it wasn't designed to be used with the toolbelt. If they were willing to try without it, they would see how the new OS is actually much faster and smoother, and the toolbelt is not necessary.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 12:54 AM
    It's not that the toolbelt doesn't work right, it's that people want it to function just like their legacy devices, and feel like the new OS was slower and harder to use.

Which is true since it wasn't designed to be used with the toolbelt. If they were willing to try without it, they would see how the new OS is actually much faster and smoother, and the toolbelt is not necessary.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks - I'm the OP and this is exactly my point - but said much better than I did!
    03-06-15 01:04 AM
    Once you get used to the os and how the and when to use the tool belt it really is something special IMO. I find the Classic to be the perfect device for me right now.

I personally love how the tool belt augments the os and gives me the freedom to use it as I see fit. I find time where the touch screen is better and times where using the track pad is better. The physical call and end keys are no doubt better than any touch phone dialer on any phone for me. I have always despised using a touch screen to dial and make calls for some reason.

Posted with the unbeaten Keyboard of the BlackBerry Classic!
    03-06-15 01:18 AM
    Well, the toolbelt does give you an option. This, I'm finding out is useful. May end up putting the Q back in the drawer.
    anon(1733) likes this.
    03-06-15 01:26 AM
    The next Q10 should be the size of the Classic, without the toolbelt (thus larger screen estate)

This would make a lot of folks happy

Posted via CB10
    phuoc likes this.
    03-06-15 02:09 AM
    I had the Curve 8320, Bold 9780 and 9900. Then got the Z10 upon its release, used it for 18 months. Then got the Q10. Altho I liked the PKB better, the Q10 was a letdown for me as I was expecting more of a Bold 9900 feel and display quality. Hated its keyboard and amoled screen. When the Classic came out, I bought it and am now quite satisfied. Not confusing at all.

Posted via Classic
    03-07-15 09:42 AM
    still deciding on whether my next phone should be slider or classic 2
    03-07-15 06:45 PM
    IT is complicated for you guys coming to BB10...I didn't really like the q when I first got it, same as most of you guys complaints. But after a year or so, when I pick up the old bold, I don't miss it anymore.

Now the classic is WAY better than the Q...we got almost all of the lost productivity back that we lost with the Q.

Once you get your head around BB10 you will love it to.
    03-07-15 08:26 PM
    Boils down to Classic use of...

those that use touch are happy as heck

or

those that prefer to use toolbelt and shortcuts are frustrated and annoyed.

Classic is like a coffee mug with 6 handles, trying to be more useful but doesn't work out so well.
    03-08-15 07:19 PM
    Boils down to Classic use of...

those that use touch are happy as heck

or

those that prefer to use toolbelt and shortcuts are frustrated and annoyed.

Classic is like a coffee mug with 6 handles, trying to be more useful but doesn't work out so well.
    Yeah, probably you're right, it has 6 handles...In that case I can choose how to handle and the way to do it in every way I need in different circumstances. Ej. I can reject a call touching the screen but when I am busy I can even not seeing it and just press the button in the toolbelt and that's all, if you need to go back in any screen locating it (not always is in left down corner), again, you can touch the screen but just press the "back" button. Complicated? So simple IMO.

In my IMO with two weeks with the Classic after using PP I believe truly is different user experience the use of the toolbelt (never loved a legacy) but it worth to try and give it a chance.

From my Classic
    03-31-15 08:16 AM
    I'll tell you why Classic is confusing. Nothing to do with the idea that the OS wasn't designed around the toolbelt. It has to do with the expectation of BBOS users that it looks like a BBOS smartphone and expect it to work like a BBOS device. It does a lot of things way better than BBOS ever did (the Browser being a major one), but many BBOS users are hung up on older features that as yet haven't been brought over to 10.3.1.

Truth be told, I do miss certain BBOS features, such as:
    - the ability to retain certain emails
    - the slider form factor
    - the home screen would show me exactly which account had a new email without unlocking
    - multiple pull downs from the home screen (notifications, network settings, profiles) in one go, no multiple swiping
    - the ability to switch between more than 3 input languages
    - multiple field email text search
    - much more clearly demarcated fields in the Remember / Memos app.

But you know what? No way am I going back to BBOS:
    - it was increasingly buggy
    - email required me to setup a BCC to keep a record of my sent emails
    - the contacts could only handle 3 email addresses
    - every time you'd install an app it would need restarting, it was notoriously difficult to create apps for
    - it couldn't really handle cloud storage
    - it was crap at storing a large number of emails and it got to a point i'd lose them after 2 days
    - everytime it would automatically clear emails to increase available storage, the device would freeze for over an hour
    - it was crap at searching online email accounts, couldn't handle email folders

BlackBerry is slowly brining BB10 to a level of optimisation that BBOS had. Yeah, the Classic is not a Bold. Let go of that. Personally, I'm really happy with the Classic. The Q10 should've never been released without a trackpad, and it's the only reason I didn't move to BB10.

Posted via CB10
    chinmay007 likes this.
    03-31-15 10:48 AM
    The Classic is my first BB10 phone. Took me about an hour to get used to it.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    awindsr likes this.
    03-31-15 01:46 PM
    Your argument is that because BB10 was not designed with the tool belt in mind, the Classic is complicated and difficult to use.

I'm sorry but the premise of your argument doesn't make sense.

The tool belt on the Classic was designed to be used with BB10. This is why to minimise an app I can press the end key, to close an app from the home screen I can use the return key and to open a menu I can use the BlackBerry button. To navigate text or scroll I can use the track pad and to select it I can push down on the track pad. It all works seamlessly, especially when switching from panels when multi-tasking.

Just the same as the Bold 9900, I have the option to use a touch screen if I want to use it but the buttons on the tool belt are there as an option if my fingers are close because I've been typing.

I can understand how somebody upgrading from a Q-10 to a Classic may fail to make full use of the tool belt because they have become used to only having the touch screen available - but from somebody who has upgraded from the Bold straight to the Classic the only time I use the touch screen is to scroll when surfing the net or when I'm using Crackberry and need to see more posts.

Windows 8 was designed for touch but most people use a keyboard and mouse.

iPad's don't come with a keyboard - but they are one of the biggest selling accessories.

The addition of OS navigation hardware does not complicate anything - it simply provides the user with an option.

Posted via CB10
    vanrickman, CDM76 and donemt like this.
    03-31-15 11:42 PM
    Is the tool belt what I think it is? The little green and red hang up buttons and the arrows too?

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 12:30 AM
    If BlackBerry had released classic before passport this conversation would not have probably happened. People loving BlackBerry would have welcomed classic like next upgrade. Then passport would have been a minor success with a few people going for awkward looking large phone ( I own one) .

Tool belt has become a not-so-necessity because people forgot it after Q10 and passport and other touch enabled phones.
    I like it for all the reasons. The menu button does not have much use so it should be customizable.

Love the track-pad, but it should allow double touch tap like for word suggestions.

For me, the only trouble is poor battery life. Hardly reaches day end with moderate use.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-01-15 09:24 AM
    Is the tool belt what I think it is? The little green and red hang up buttons and the arrows too?

Posted via CB10
    Bingo!
    04-01-15 09:57 AM
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 10:32 AM
51 123