Universal search is absolutely ruined in 10.3.1.sure, you can turn off BlackBerry assistent and get something close to what we had in 10.2 but it isn't as good.

If they don't get this fixed soon, there will be a ton of complaints.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 12:04 AM
    Uh oh, what do you mean? You mean we can no longer just type anything and go from there???
    11-30-14 12:06 AM
    Uh oh, what do you mean? You mean we can no longer just type anything and go from there???
    You can. It's just not the same as 10.2.1.... no big recent history.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and LarsBB like this.
    11-30-14 12:08 AM
    You can. It's just not the same as 10.2.1.... no big recent history.

Posted via CB10
    I'm a little scared now, lol.
    11-30-14 12:15 AM
    Yea I much preferred when universal search and voice controls were separated.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 12:33 AM
    Universal search is the best thing about BlackBerry. No clue why are they ruining it.

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    tx ram and trevorcroft like this.
    11-30-14 01:18 AM
    I also don't like how they eliminated the history. I liked the instant action and search function in 10,2,1

Posted via CB10
    divakar likes this.
    11-30-14 01:26 AM
    Second this.
    On 10.2.1 you hit search and the recent was here so second touch and you got what you looked for. Or you started typing instantly and got what was needed, be it search or action. I loved feature. I was using search button like some magic "do something" icon.
    Now on 10.3.1 you hit search then you have to touch text box, then all is slow, then after 2 seconds keyboard appears, then you can type. The "history" I didn't yet get used to, so the result is that it ruined one of the BB10 strong points.
    I would like very much ability to turn off voice assistant, because
    a) is slow like molasses so is useful in car but otherwise typing beats it every time
    b) limited number of supported languages means that you force it on many countries where is not useful at all

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 04:12 AM
    It is just unfortunate that BlackBerry fiddles with established features and fools around with an already stubborn group of small followers.

BlackBerry should not be taking ANY chances.

Any new features should be only additions or optional and not removed or tampered with.

Beware BlackBerry!!

Q5SQR100-3/10.2.1.3247
    11-30-14 04:34 AM
    Yeah I'll say it... but universal search of Webos was way better and since coming to BB10 I rarely use this "universal" search... I just search in what I need as it actually works (search in email, or contacts etc.) so well, it needs improvement if anything not re-clustering with voice crap.

Posted via CB10
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    11-30-14 07:02 AM
    You can turn it off and get back most of what we had in 10.2
    However, that won't matter to most since the default is to have it on.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 07:07 AM
    Didn't know anyone actively used the universal 'just type' feature O__o. Well if there is enough demand for the changes you want, I'm sure they'll make a change. But I don't see what's the problem with using the universal search that 10.3.1 has now (other than the history function of course).

Hope they fix this for you guys. I didn't know that the search option was so widely used. No device is going to be perfect though. If they were to make the OS operate just like BBOS, they may as well have gave you something like bb8.0 or something.

To miss out on BB10, a great OS, because of one feature seems like the user is just being picky at this point. There are tradeoffs with any device upgrades. Except the Galaxy Note 4, they made the same exact phone with the only upgrades being a slightly better screen and camera.

It is just unfortunate that BlackBerry fiddles with established features and fools around with an already stubborn group of small followers.

BlackBerry should not be taking ANY chances.

Any new features should be only additions or optional and not removed or tampered with.

Beware BlackBerry!!

Q5SQR100-3/10.2.1.3247
    'A stubborn group of small followers'
    I'm sure those are the last people they want to accommodate given they're never happy with anything and find something to complain about with everything.

Posted via my Classic Passport
    jlsr likes this.
    11-30-14 07:17 AM
    I think the biggest complaint will be that it runs BB10

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 07:22 AM
    The problem is that it is soooo sloooooowww.
    Type in a search term and then wait for it to spin and spin and finally bring up your results.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 07:27 AM
    I think the biggest complaint will be that it runs BB10

Posted via CB10
    Are you serious

anon(9184750) likes this.
    11-30-14 07:28 AM
    Second this.
    On 10.2.1 you hit search and the recent was here so second touch and you got what you looked for. Or you started typing instantly and got what was needed, be it search or action. I loved feature. I was using search button like some magic "do something" icon.
    Now on 10.3.1 you hit search then you have to touch text box, then all is slow, then after 2 seconds keyboard appears, then you can type. The "history" I didn't yet get used to, so the result is that it ruined one of the BB10 strong points.
    I would like very much ability to turn off voice assistant, because
    a) is slow like molasses so is useful in car but otherwise typing beats it every time
    b) limited number of supported languages means that you force it on many countries where is not useful at all

Posted via CB10
    Go into the settings and turn off "full assistance "
    This really helps, but of course then it turns off the voice control which is actually somewhat useful such as when driving.
    Well, it turns off the new BlackBerry assistant voice control.
    It's still a pain on a z10 because you still have to hit search, and then "type here" before the keyboard comes up.

Posted via CB10
    1Criz likes this.
    11-30-14 07:34 AM
    Compared to universal search in pre-10.3 BB10 versions, the new "assistant" is rather quirky, and confusing to use. I still hope for some serious refinement before the official release of 10.3.1.
    11-30-14 07:45 AM
    Are you serious

I love BlackBerry 10.
    I have a Z10 and it's great.
    But some people just don't like change its a fact... Why do you think people are still using 9900/9930s? They simply don't like change.
    My mother is one of those people I don't think she will get a classic even though I keep pushing it.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 09:05 AM
    This is just stupid. They are making the OS less productive. It is a simple way for users to find things by just typing.
    11-30-14 09:12 AM
    I love BlackBerry 10.
    I have a Z10 and it's great.
    But some people just don't like change its a fact... Why do you think people are still using 9900/9930s? They simply don't like change.
    My mother is one of those people I don't think she will get a classic even though I keep pushing it.

Posted via CB10
    People aren't carrying 9900's because they "don't like change", they're are doing that because no other phone in existence does what it does. I've never met anyone who "doesn't like change", only people who don't like a worse version of what they already have in favor of some other things. (you can have an automatic transmission, but we took out power steering).

The 9900 is the perfect example of an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" issue that BB had in not understanding what their core customers like about their product and what makes it unique. When they came out with BB10 as well as phones with no buttons, they threw away a long list of features and key advantages of the 9900 (or BBOS in general) that could have easily re-appeared in BB10....many of which are finally showing up 2 years later....albeit at a drunken snails pace.

I still carry a 9900. And I love change.....when it's a pure upgrade. But nothing beats a 9900 in pure speed and efficiency for critical communications. The Q10, even with a keyboard, still requires more actions, and takes longer due to the cute animations of things dancing around your screen. (sliding, coming forward, etc. etc.) It still shows you less information at one time even though the screen is larger. It still has less ways to insure you don't miss messages.
    11-30-14 10:23 AM
    People aren't carrying 9900's because they "don't like change", they're are doing that because no other phone in existence does what it does. I've never met anyone who "doesn't like change", only people who don't like a worse version of what they already have in favor of some other things. (you can have an automatic transmission, but we took out power steering).

The 9900 is the perfect example of an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" issue that BB had in not understanding what their core customers like about their product and what makes it unique. When they came out with BB10 as well as phones with no buttons, they threw away a long list of features and key advantages of the 9900 (or BBOS in general) that could have easily re-appeared in BB10....many of which are finally showing up 2 years later....albeit at a drunken snails pace.

I still carry a 9900. And I love change.....when it's a pure upgrade. But nothing beats a 9900 in pure speed and efficiency for critical communications. The Q10, even with a keyboard, still requires more actions, and takes longer due to the cute animations of things dancing around your screen. (sliding, coming forward, etc. etc.) It still shows you less information at one time even though the screen is larger. It still has less ways to insure you don't miss messages.
    I'm not hating on the 9900 I have one myself and it's awesome.
    I just think that when someone has a device for so long they either hate it and want to get a new one or they grow accustomed to it and need it by there side they can't function without it.
    These people are the people who would never give up their 9900 unless it was something with the same exact feel that they are used to.

Posted via CB10
    fryk likes this.
    11-30-14 10:41 AM
    I'm not hating on the 9900 I have one myself and it's awesome.
    I just think that when someone has a device for so long they either hate it and want to get a new one or they grow accustomed to it and need it by there side they can't function without it.
    These people are the people who would never give up their 9900 unless it was something with the same exact feel that they are used to.

Posted via CB10
    When you say they want the exact feel, I assume you mean size, and the Q10 is about the same size. But many features and advantages are.....for no apparent reason.....gone. I think people are just dying to let go of their 9900 and it's limits with apps or rich content. But only if they find something that addresses their core needs first and gives them power steering along with the automatic transmission. Going to another brand....yea...I can see you have to realize you will leave behind certain trademarks. But staying with the same brand and still losing so many key features? That's the frustration of BBOS users.

Got a little off topic there, but tying this back to the subject: Changing the search function (a great trademark) for no apparent reason....is another BB blunder that continues to frustrate the people who actually understand BB's advantages to begin with.
    revtech and PonyCrazyKid like this.
    11-30-14 11:02 AM
    I don't get it, what was wrong with holding the play/pause button to bring up voice control and just typing for universal search? Why did they have to integrate the assistant with the universal search?? Keep them separate, it's not like holding the play/pause button was so hard to do...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    kbz1960 and app_Developer like this.
    11-30-14 11:18 AM
    I don't get it, what was wrong with holding the play/pause button to bring up voice control and just typing for universal search? Why did they have to integrate the assistant with the universal search?? Keep them separate, it's not like holding the play/pause button was so hard to do...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    I've told BlackBerry that's what they should of done. Pauseplay for assistant, type in home to open universal search.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 11:29 AM
    When you say they want the exact feel, I assume you mean size, and the Q10 is about the same size. But many features and advantages are.....for no apparent reason.....gone. I think people are just dying to let go of their 9900 and it's limits with apps or rich content. But only if they find something that addresses their core needs first and gives them power steering along with the automatic transmission. Going to another brand....yea...I can see you have to realize you will leave behind certain trademarks. But staying with the same brand and still losing so many key features? That's the frustration of BBOS users.

Got a little off topic there, but tying this back to the subject: Changing the search function (a great trademark) for no apparent reason....is another BB blunder that continues to frustrate the people who actually understand BB's advantages to begin with.
    No they want the size and the simplicity of BBOS.
    Not BlackBerry 10. If you ate someone who isn't great with tech odds are you won't be a fan of BlackBerry 10

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 11:41 AM
88 123 ...