Hi All,

I do not have the Classic, but am considering it and am trying to read about the shortcuts and ease of use for the tasks I do the most. From what I am reading, it seems like there are several steps/swipes to just send a text or make a call to someone. Does the Classic do something similar to my current phone:

*my current phone has a widget with my favorite contacts. Each contact has a tile on my home page - 5 are always shown, if I want to see more than 5, I just swipe down. I set each contact tile to their picture so I can immediately recognize them. I tap on their picture and the tile asks if I want to Text, Call, Skype, Email. I tap on the action I want to do. So, if I want to text Beth, I tap Beth's face tile then tap "text" - all from my homescreen. (2 taps total)

*I also have a widget where I can set my favorite contacts to additionally do only one specific task. For example, I only want to text John. I have a separate tile on my homescreen where I tap John's face and it immediately opens a text to him (1 tap total). Or, I only want to ever call Mike - I have a separate tile on my homescreen where I tap Mike's face and it immediately calls him (1 tap total).

From what I am reading, Classic has you swipe over to Hub, then open up an action (text, call, email, etc) then find the contact to start the action. Is there a shorter, faster way?

I did read you can assign hard keys to individual actions (i.e. "J" will call John). However, what if I want to text John, I will have to also dedicate another hard key to him, say "T". Then I would have to dedicate "S" to Skype him (as examples). It would be OK if "J" brought up John and then all options available for him (text, Skype, email, call) and then I could tap to choose.

I text, call, and Skype all day so want to make sure there are shortcuts.

Thanks.
    04-01-15 11:44 AM
    From the home screen... all I do is type "text joe"

Then all these Joe's show up on this list and I pick the one to text to....

It's so easy...
    04-01-15 04:13 PM
    From the home screen... all I do is type "text joe"

Then all these Joe's show up on this list and I pick the one to text to....

It's so easy...
    I do the same. It's so much more efficient, yet flexible, than trying to hunt down the app icon. I don't use the app screens at all. Just type: text Joe, sms Joe, call Joe, mail Joe, etc and it's ready to go. This Blackberry OS -- how efficient. It doesn't break your train of thought.
    Zeridialous likes this.
    04-01-15 06:11 PM
    You can use my app keyboard shortcuts to add 32+ more shortcuts like email and text templates, speed dial, Web sites, flashlight, clipboard and many more cool shortcuts.

Check out Keyboard Shortcuts - Access to 32+ custom keyboard shortcuts in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59949463

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 09:26 PM
    There is no problem with navigating to create a new message on the Classic. As mentioned if you have specific contacts who you regularly text then you can assign any of the keyboard buttons to them.

When I first heard about BB10 and 'The Hub' I wasn't impressed. I hated the idea of all my messages and phone notifications being in the one area (with no option to get rid of the always running Hub) as I like to clearly separate texts, emails and BBM messages.

Honestly though after using the Classic and customising the Hub to only include the messages and notifications that are important to me, I wouldn't go back to any other system. It has become second nature for me to hit 'end' and 'swipe left' on the track pad - it takes under half a second for me to minimise what I'm currently working on and then view all my messages.

I personally prefer to compose messages through the big 'Compose' button from the Hub - when I do this I'm presented with several panels I can tap based on my previous actions.

I can assure you that out of all the things to worry about when considering purchasing a new BlackBerry, the speed and ease of which to compose a new message doesn't even factor. It is as easy, if not easier than on any other device.

Storm 2 > Bold 9900 > Classic
    04-02-15 12:19 AM