When OFF needs to be off, only a removable battery can accomplish the task.
    Been in two meetings where all participants rested phone and removed battery on the conference table. BTDT. My definition of "retirement" is no longer compatible with such subterfuge but there ARE times...
    10-25-14 05:50 PM
    Been in two meetings where all participants rested phone and removed battery on the conference table. BTDT. My definition of "retirement" is no longer compatible with such subterfuge but there ARE times...
    Removed the battery? Why?

How does it supersede powering phone down?
    10-25-14 05:52 PM
    Removed the battery? Why?How does it supersede powering phone down?

Paranoia... The thing is most unlikely to transmit without power. We'd just lost a big customer due to failure to adequately end a call. Long story short, battery removal provided maximum assurance one customer wouldn't be listening in on anther's project being discussed. The other meeting involved potential legal issues.
    10-25-14 06:00 PM
    Paranoia... The thing is most unlikely to transmit without power. We'd just lost a big customer due to failure to adequately end a call. Long story short, battery removal provided maximum assurance one customer wouldn't be listening in on anther's project being discussed. The other meeting involved potential legal issues.
    Got ya.

Hey, whatever it takes!
    10-25-14 06:05 PM
    If you value security and wish to circumvent NSA spying on you then read the following short excerpt from something I read earlier:

'First of all, to stay safe from the NSA, the following things must be known:
    Even if the cheapest post 2010 cell phone is "turned off", it is possible for it to still be on and use practically no battery converting everything said around it to text. Once turned on, the text can be mailed out quickly and sent to the NSA before the phone even shows on screen it has connected with a tower, you will NEVER NOTICE. It is time to stop being an ***** with your cell phone if you are going to get through this, SACRIFICE THE DAMN CONVENIENCE AND TAKE THE BATTERY OUT WHEN NOT MAKING CALLS. If the battery cannot be taken out, ditch the phone altogether, and remember that many Nokia phones have a main battery and backup battery that cannot be removed.'
    10-25-14 06:12 PM
    IIRC, Apple saved about $20/phone in manufacturing costs by making it a fixed/non-removable battery vs. engineering and manufacturing a phone casing on which the back is removable. It's also easier to provide better overall build quality and rigidity in a phone when the battery cover is fixed in place.
    I don't buy this nonsense at all. Unless you have a legitimate quote.

IMHO Apple does not want you swapping batteries, they want you to pay someone to do it.
    And a little paranoia, they don't want you to power off the device... ever. (sleep is not off)
    10-25-14 06:14 PM
    Got ya.

Hey, whatever it takes!
    I've had devices re-start after "thinking" they were shut down. Sometimes 120% over-achievement is inadequate. Retirement, for me, has meant trimming back to only 110%.
    10-25-14 06:15 PM
    I recall this from a developer conference. No quote - is was spoken by Phil Schiller at a roundtable discussion after the dev. conference ended.
    10-25-14 11:14 PM
33 12