Hey all,

I probably don't have the type of history most of you Crackberrians proudly boast about --only have had a couple of BlackBerry devices-- but for the last several years, I've been faithful to the brand. Even now as I type this on my almost 2 year old Z10 I continue the BlackBerry marriage.

I must confess, however, that lately, as the time nears to upgrade my device, I have started to ponder unexplored territories. My Z10 has been going strong, don't get me wrong, but the upcoming BlackBerry lineup hasn't been too enticing. The Passport is probably quite wondrous, but truly not an ideal fit for me. And so, with much thought and some trepidation, I recently opened up to the idea of having to migrate to a different platform.

With that being said, the potential opportunity to try something NEW hasn't been a thrilling thought like new things SHOULD be. A new and shiny toy/tool should have me giddy with delight and excitement, but it all has me coming back to the same conclusions:

-The iPhone bores me to tears, despite how optimal the device may be.
    -Android overwhelms me in not a good way.
    -Windows phone is simply a no.

Up until a few nights ago, I was thinking I may just have to pick the one that bothered me least and take it from there.

And to be frank, I didn't want an "old" BlackBerry like the Z30, nor was I paying too much attention to the Classic...until I started to browse the section, admire the leaked photos and found the couple of videos that showcase the device. How ironic that I wasn't looking to get an "old" BlackBerry, but an "old" --or what I like to call vintage-- design/idea captivated me all over again!

I mean, call me nostalgic, but I am obsessed with the idea of having that track pad again, along with the glorious clicking sounds that come with furiously typing on the unrivaled BlackBerry keyboard.

It doesn't hurt that the device itself is easy on the eyes. I have a feeling the photos may not do it justice. As it stands now, this device will surely be my next upgrade, unless something unexpected comes up and draws me away. I don't even mind that the upgrade may only be an incremental one; I'm content with a better battery, and Z30 specs as rumored.

I'm just eager to find out how rusty I am going to be after typing on this touch screen for almost two years....

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 12:57 AM
    Very rusty I'd say.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    10-21-14 08:05 AM
    Great post! I'm anxiously awaiting the Classic as well. Hope AT&T offers it as that is the carrier we will switch to next month.

Posted via CB10
    Plazmic Flame and Mr4aces like this.
    10-21-14 09:00 AM
    Great post to read in the morning. I'm sure it sums up how a lot of people feel about the Classic, myself included!
    Mr4aces and LatinoLoco24 like this.
    10-21-14 09:21 AM
    YES!! What could be more exiting than experiencing the efficient precision of toolbelt combined with superb reliability of BB10? Add in some of the long lost functionality recently restored in 10.3.1 and I'm also eager to get my hands on the device!
    Mr4aces, 3_M4N and LatinoLoco24 like this.
    10-21-14 09:34 AM
    Great post. When I talk to others about a physical keyboard, I like to compare it to something others can relate to. I bring up stick shift cars. Old tech that many have moved on from. But diehards like the way it makes them feel. The interaction and feedback from the stick makes then have a more connected relationship to the machine that you can't get from automatic. I feel the same about the physical keyboard.

I can attest for sure since I'm on my z30 now and I will be "upgrading" to a classic. Loved my q10 but the screen size ended up being a little more of an issue than I had hoped. The screen surface size on the classic should be the right mix for me. And he'll I never needed a trackpad, but I'm happy to take that too.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 09:38 AM
    Great post. When I talk to others about a physical keyboard, I like to compare it to something others can relate to. I bring up stick shift cars. Old tech that many have moved on from. But diehards like the way it makes them feel. The interaction and feedback from the stick makes then have a more connected relationship to the machine that you can't get from automatic. I feel the same about the physical keyboard.

I can attest for sure since I'm on my z30 now and I will be "upgrading" to a classic. Loved my q10 but the screen size ended up being a little more of an issue than I had hoped. The screen surface size on the classic should be the right mix for me. And he'll I never needed a trackpad, but I'm happy to take that too.

Posted via CB10
    That's a great analogy!

And you're spot on about the screen size; it looks to be just the right size for comfort while still giving you enough screen real estate to enjoy all the benefits.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 09:50 AM
    I bought a Z10 back in Feb 2013 but missed the familar clickety-clack that only a physical keyboard can offer. I kept drifting back to my Bold 9900 but in the end i bought a used Q10 on Ebay and have been using it as my second phone. And as it is not my main phone i could afford to risk crippling it and so I downloaded the leaked 10.3.1 O/S just to see what it would be like and I have to say that it is a major step forward.
    However this has now brought me to a new problem: I originally had no intention to get the new Classic - certainly not as an early adopter anyway - but now i am sorely tempted: 10.3.1 + Classic trackpad and tool belt + the Amazon Apps may all prove too hard to resist
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-21-14 10:00 AM
    Can I be the first to over-react about the "old" comment about the Z30, offer up insulting and patronising comment about how ignorant you are and generally be a nob about it? ;-)

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 10:13 AM
    Can I be the first to over-react about the "old" comment about the Z30, offer up insulting and patronising comment about how ignorant you are and generally be a nob about it? ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Yes you may. Lol

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 10:33 AM
    Like a beach cruiser, you will get back on it fine. The problem is swiping words is no longer and options. Depends on how dependent you are on options like these. Tactile keyboard is unmatched still compared to glass.
    10-21-14 10:39 AM
    Like a beach cruiser, you will get back on it fine. The problem is swiping words is no longer and options. Depends on how dependent you are on options like these. Tactile keyboard is unmatched still compared to glass.
    Swiping to delete is one of my favorite features of the Z10 and I dreaded the thought of not having this on something like an iPhone when I was considering the switch. However, I don't see myself having issues adjusting to not having this on the classic. It's a joy to type on a BlackBerry keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 10:44 AM
    Swiping to delete is one of my favorite features of the Z10 and I dreaded the thought of not having this on something like an iPhone when I was considering the switch. However, I don't see myself having issues adjusting to not having this on the classic. It's a joy to type on a BlackBerry keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Passport can swipe to delete too.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 10:55 AM
    An "old" BlackBerry...like a Z30. Now that's funny.
    10-21-14 11:06 AM
    Hey every reader who doesn't get the Internet. When you put a word like "old" in quotes, like the OP did, you acknowledge that the term might not be the best fit for one of many reasons. He's putting quotes around it so people like you know, that he's not trying to pick a fight, but just wants to continue with his original point.

I'm this case I assume he is admitting that he knows the z30 os not old, but might be from the previous line of releases, which he is not interested in. Hense the use of "old"

Now carry on

(from a not offended z30 user)

Posted via CB10
    LatinoLoco24 and 3_M4N like this.
    10-21-14 11:52 AM
    Hey every reader who doesn't get the Internet. When you put a word like "old" in quotes, like the OP did, you acknowledge that the term might not be the best fit for one of many reasons. He's putting quotes around it so people like you know, that he's not trying to pick a fight, but just wants to continue with his original point.

I'm this case I assume he is admitting that he knows the z30 os not old, but might be from the previous line of releases, which he is not interested in. Hense the use of "old"

Now carry on

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for this. I didn't think the comment would spark a negative response and wasn't looking forward to having to explain myself. You've done it for me. Thank you again.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 02:34 PM
    Thank you for this. I didn't think the comment would spark a negative response and wasn't looking forward to having to explain myself. You've done it for me. Thank you again.

Posted via CB10
    Any time

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 02:57 PM

Now carry on

Posted via CB10
    OldER could have worked too. Or better yet: "previous". Not sure what the internet has to do with it though...it's still English.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-21-14 03:29 PM
    OldER could have worked too. Or better yet: "previous". Not sure what the internet has to do with it though...it's still English.

Yes, it's English. Just like using "...." when typing. the Internet has taken these things and popularized them because it's easier to use them when typing long drawn out points on a small screen and glass. So you see this a lot more.

The solution is for everyone to learn not to be a troll and complain about every little thing. He's not insulting the z30. He's on a z10. It should be obvious enough that he's not insulting BlackBerry. There was no point to even bring it up in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 04:47 PM

The solution is for everyone to learn not to be a troll and complain about every little thing.
    Right. You mean like....

Hey every reader who doesn't get the Internet. ....
    ....Now carry on
    Thanks for the clarification.

Just like using "...." when typing. the Internet has taken these things and popularized them because it's easier to use them when typing long drawn out points on a small screen and glass. So you see this a lot more.
    It's easier to to type special characters...twice... while typing on glass....to do what, now?

There was no point to even bring it up in the first place.
    You mean other than the obvious fact that he referred to a roughly one year old phone, and until Passport, the most recent BlackBerry phone (sans Z3's limited release), as "old".

Now carry on....
    10-21-14 05:43 PM
    Well, let's be honest, in terms of how fast technology advances, the Z30 is definitely old. No quotes, lol. :-P Heck, a phone that came out 3 months ago is already old, haha. :-D

Edit: I'm joking around guys. :-)

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-21-14 06:13 PM
    My 9900 must be Prehistoric .
    10-22-14 06:59 AM
    My 9900 must be Prehistoric .
    I think I spotted Barney Rubble using one...

10-22-14 09:36 AM
    I think I spotted Barney Rubble using one...

It used to be Fred Flintstone's 9900, but his thumbs were too big!
    10-22-14 05:41 PM
    It used to be Fred Flintstone's 9900, but his thumbs were too big!
    Dang, getting hand-me-downs... That's low...

10-22-14 05:57 PM
28 12