So, I just got my BB Q20, first BBOS phone in my life and although I cannot shake off the feeling that I bought a dying horse, I have to admit that I have never been more satisfied with a phone (Symbian -> Android -> iOS -> BBOS is the route I took to get here).

Still, after googling and stuff, I couldn't find answers to a couple of questions, so I would dump them here. Hopefully someone may be able to help me out.

1.) I have a new Ford Focus car with SYNC and a few days ago got a text message, an envelope sign promptly displayed on the screen of the car. And it won't go away, no idea what to do. I have no new messages on the phone, guess removing pairing may work, but it's not really a solution to do it every time.

2.) Is there any gesture/finger swipe move (or is it customizable?) to lock the screen AND at the same time turn it off? Would prefer something else than always pushing the power button.

3.) I'm a bit puzzled with the Whatsapp status on BB. Yes, I heard that it will be discontinued by the end of the year, however, I installed it from Amazon App Marketplace, guess that installed the Android version, so I guess it may work after the end of the year. Too many guesses, I know. :)

4.) Did anyone manage to get something close to F.lux or Twilight on BBOS? I would bet money on the "No", but still, last straw and stuff. I could install Twilight but it only tints the screen when the app is in foreground.

5.) I saw the option to encrypt the internal flash storage and the Micro SD card; any adverse effects? Like reduced battery time? I guess decrypting stuff on the fly could mean more CPU load, perhaps.

Thanks!
    07-29-16 12:56 PM
    Sadly I can only comment on #3. Whatsapp may take some action after the end of the year that will make it impossible for the BB10, even the Android version, to work.
    07-29-16 01:05 PM
    Well, then the million dollar question is, why WhatsApp abandons BBOS? Either they want us out of their app, then it will go the way you described. Or they just see no commitment from BBL; in this case I assume there is no harm to allow BB users to piggyback WhatsApp via the Android version.
    07-29-16 01:31 PM
    Sadly I can only comment on #3. Whatsapp may take some action after the end of the year that will make it impossible for the BB10, even the Android version, to work.
    Don't think the Android version would stop working then, only the native bb10 version...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-29-16 02:00 PM
    Well, then the million dollar question is, why WhatsApp abandons BBOS? Either they want us out of their app, then it will go the way you described. Or they just see no commitment from BBL; in this case I assume there is no harm to allow BB users to piggyback WhatsApp via the Android version.
    Whatsapp is owned by Facebook. BB isn't like google, who actively removes 3rd party apps that allow users to bypass their ads and data mining. BB made their own app that integrated notifications to a hub so that in a way bypassed FB's advertising and data mining efforts. So they are doing all they can to get as many people off BB10 as possible and onto google or apple phones.

07-29-16 02:02 PM
    Just an FYI: BBOS refers to the OS on legacy phones running OS 7.1 and prior. BB10 runs on the current non-Android devices.

Also, the name Q20 has no meaning. It's called the Classic.
    07-29-16 02:04 PM
    Not sure about 1, I don't have a car new enough with that, and even if I did I wouldn't integrate my phone with the car that way. I like to keep my call and message statuses private. You know everyone around you can hear your phone calls when it goes through the speakers right? Yes, even with windows rolled up. So not sure what to do about that, sorry.

For 2, pretty sure the answer is no unfortunately. You can set it to lock every time the screen is turned off, but to my knowledge it is still only the power button that would allow you to turn it off on demand. That and the magnet in an active holster/pouch like any official BB holster or pouch and some 3rd party ones like Seidio.

3. The Android version will run like the Android version, unless WA stops supporting Android 4, it should keep working. The phone kind of reports itself as a Samsung I think while using the Android runtime, lol.

4, no idea what those are, you're not asking for sparkly vampires right?

5. It would make it so that the files can only be accessed from your phone, so no quick swapping of the sd card if you switch devices or if you want to use a card reader to move things to your computer. Also think it might screw you over if somehow your phone dies because you might not be able to unencrypt the data on another phone, not 100% sure about that last part though...

07-29-16 02:07 PM
    I was about to ask..q20??? Lol

The Rat race is Yours , I have a  | P A S S P O R T and I don't care.
    07-29-16 02:51 PM
    Dumping my answers to a single reply, so I'm not spamming.

First and foremost thanks for your help and for the correction regarding to BBOS. I pair the phone to my car because I travel for living and it's easier to speak on the phone, plus I listen to music/podcasts from the phone. If someone wants to listen to my conversation while I'm driving on the highway, then let it happen.

Twilight (Android) / F.lux (PC/iOS) is an app to tint the screen to red, so it won't mess up your sleep. I kind of got used to, but whatever, I can live without it.
    https://justgetflux.com/

By the way in Eastern Europe shops call Classic as Q20, it took me some time to figure out the connection.

The phone kind of reports itself as a Samsung I think while using the Android runtime, lol.
    That's funny. :P

5. It would make it so that the files can only be accessed from your phone, so no quick swapping of the sd card if you switch devices or if you want to use a card reader to move things to your computer. Also think it might screw you over if somehow your phone dies because you might not be able to unencrypt the data on another phone, not 100% sure about that last part though...
    Thanks! I'm not worried about losing stuff, I'm worried about getting my data stolen. So I will encrypt for sure.
    07-29-16 03:42 PM
    https://justgetflux.com/[/url]
    I use BEDSIDE MODE on the Clock app: it makes the clock go red and suppresses all of your notifications except for the actual alarm.

That may give you what you want.
    Or, you can just turn it off with the power button - you don't have to turn it all the way off, it just blacks out the screen.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    07-29-16 03:58 PM
    Dumping my answers to a single reply, so I'm not spamming.

First and foremost thanks for your help and for the correction regarding to BBOS. I pair the phone to my car because I travel for living and it's easier to speak on the phone, plus I listen to music/podcasts from the phone. If someone wants to listen to my conversation while I'm driving on the highway, then let it happen.

Twilight (Android) / F.lux (PC/iOS) is an app to tint the screen to red, so it won't mess up your sleep. I kind of got used to, but whatever, I can live without it.
    https://justgetflux.com/

By the way in Eastern Europe shops call Classic as Q20, it took me some time to figure out the connection.

That's funny. :P

Thanks! I'm not worried about losing stuff, I'm worried about getting my data stolen. So I will encrypt for sure.
    Q20 was original name of Classic I believe..

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-29-16 04:09 PM
    Q20 was original name of Classic I believe..

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Yes it was.
    07-29-16 04:24 PM
    Check out the Ford SYNC compatibility tool:

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...odel=&syncGen=

It looks like the Classic pairs well with SYNC 3.
    07-29-16 04:35 PM
    You can get rid of the envelope by touching the phone section of Sync on your screen. The settings and messages and delete all. Classic works great with My Lincoln Touch. Keep discoverable on!

Posted via CB10
    07-31-16 03:44 AM
    The android app Twilight does actually work, but it only effects other android apps. This is still useful for me because I like to read ebooks before bed, but I do wish it were system wide.

Posted via CB10 w/ Q5
    07-31-16 05:09 AM
    Again, thanks for the help! Regarding to the car connectivity, I think the problem is that SYNC was not updated recently.

The android app Twilight does actually work, but it only effects other android apps. This is still useful for me because I like to read ebooks before bed, but I do wish it were system wide.
    Well, it basically solved my problem! My iPad -thanks to Apple's **** policy- doesn't support night shift mode, so I used to browse the net from my phone if I'm on the road or use Whatsapp. However, I just installed the Android version of Firefox and it is affected by Twilight. Thanks, I'm a happy camper now!

On a different note, the phone was on charger today when I got a call, so I had to use the speaker function and just realized after a minute or so that I was around 1-1.5m away from the phone and the caller didn't even realize that she was on speaker. This phone still surprises me with the functionality and the quality. It's a shame that BBL pulled the plug on BB10 phones.
    07-31-16 05:16 PM
    So, I'm using my Classic for a while now and had some additional questions.

First and foremost I'm in the dire need of a decent music player. I found Terrax Player as the best by so far, but it's clearly missing some features I desperately need. Namely, if I start playing an audio file in a given folder, at the end of playback it doesn't start the next one, rather than just stops playing music. Which is like a major WTF for me. Also, neither the preinstalled music player, nor Terrax seem to save the timestamp of the last played audio file. Meaning that if I was in the middle of a ~2 hours podcast, I have to guess where the hell did I stop listening.

Secondmost, e-mail client. I'm having different issues with the preinstalled e-mail client. LogicMail is something which seems to be a good option for me, but I'm unable to install it. I guess it's for older BB OS versions?! Or any other suggestions for e-mail client?

Thanks!

Oh, one more weird thing I noticed. Mobile data network configuration seems to be seriously messed up for me. Usually I restrict the connection type to 2G to save battery power. However, if I choose 4G&3G&2G option, the phone doesn't connect to the mobile data, even that 4G network is available. If I choose 4G&3G, I get the 4G connection. If I choose 3G&2G, again, no dice. I guess it's a bug, did someone else experience something similar?
    09-10-16 02:13 PM