I picked up a Classic from Selfridges a couple of days ago and so far so good. No evident hardware issues and I have to say it is a very nice little device - much like a Bold 9900 and Q10 rolled into one.

Coming from a Q10, I was initially sceptical when reading about the speed and the internals of the new Classic. However side-by-side with my Q10 in-store, the Classic's screen is much clearer, brighter and larger; the keyboard's keys are larger and less spongey; being able to use a trackpad to navigate is incredibly useful, and making/hanging-up calls is a fair bit easier with the hardware buttons.

The speed of the handset is relatively the same as for a Q10, so quite fast for native apps and varying between snappy to somewhat sluggish for Android apps.

If you were sitting on the fence like me then I'd recommend trying one, I think the incremental device updates are worth the price over a Q10 and especially so if you liked using the older Bold.

Hopefully we'll see a beefier Classic 2 released sometime (useful to remember the first iPhones only had EDGE and couldn't download apps) and I do hope Blackberry continue to build upon this handset as it's the best I've owned so far.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 09:28 AM
    I hope this headset will bring internal to 2014-2015 standard and maybe a better display but necessary bring that touch keyboard from passport. I,played today with a passport wasn't love at first sight but that touch keyboard are just incredible.
    01-07-15 12:59 PM
    Yes it would amazing if they would keep upgrading the classic version, I also find it the best blackberry device I have used so far.. if the phone a bit lighter and a bit thinner then wooow ..

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 06:05 PM
    Yes it would amazing if they would keep upgrading the classic version, I also find it the best blackberry device I have used so far.. if the phone a bit lighter and a bit thinner then wooow ..

Posted via CB10
    Why thinner? You sliding it under doors? I'd go with a larger capacity battery over thinner every day of the week...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Xenolock, sibeans, emkay47 and 5 others like this.
    01-07-15 06:11 PM
    Why thinner? You sliding it under doors? I'd go with a larger capacity battery over thinner every day of the week...

Agreed 100%. This race to make phones paper thin at the expense of everything else needs to stop.
    guido0136, andy957 and chinmay007 like this.
    01-07-15 06:16 PM
    Yes maybe your right, I think it's maybe because of the weight because it's is slightly heavier than q10 and bold.. you can feel it. Overall it's a very nice phone. I was a bit scared about the specs, I thought I hope it will run smoothly, so fare it's running smooth, but the same thing happened with my q10.. in the beginning it was smooth, then it started to crash and freeze end restart it self.. that was very annoying sometimes I felt like smashing it into the ground

Posted by khanium
    01-07-15 06:29 PM
    Yes maybe your right, I think it's maybe because of the weight because it's is slightly heavier than q10 and bold.. you can feel it. Overall it's a very nice phone. I was a bit scared about the specs, I thought I hope it will run smoothly, so fare it's running smooth, but the same thing happened with my q10.. in the beginning it was smooth, then it started to crash and freeze end restart it self.. that was very annoying sometimes I felt like smashing it into the ground

Posted by khanium
    It felt heavy the first day, now I'm used to it as being "normal." When I pick up my Q10 I keep thinking the battery must be missing but it's in there...

TgeekB likes this.
    01-07-15 06:31 PM
    I agree with everything you posted. The Classic is a good move from the Q10. The toolbelt is very useful.

On a side note:
    I do hope the next version of the Classic is not called "Classic". I'm okay with a Classic II, but after that it should be called something else. I think this device is a great bridge from BBOS7 holdouts and new BBOS10 users, and the name makes sense. The next device should have a different name. It should still have the toolbelt, but call it a different name.

I don't know what would be a good name, but I think BlackBerry should move forward now that it was bridged the gap. I like the names like Pearl, Curve, Bold, Passport. The Classic should be updated with a different name as well. My two cents. And if the name doesn't change I'll still get the next one. LOL A Classic by any other name...
    01-07-15 07:20 PM
    I like the name "Classic " sounds like Class

Z 30
    jas1978 likes this.
    01-07-15 07:48 PM
    I bought one yesterday. Still haven't even moved my SIM card over from my Q10 (waiting until I get a holster), but I'm loving it. It's like night and day. If you have the chance, get it.

The trackpad is everything I wanted it to be. All of my frustrations with the Q10 are gone: I can use it with my gloves on (i.e. outside), I can click links accurately in the browser. I can even enter data on spreadsheets in Google Drive in desktop mode! (wiht some difficulty), and things are just slightly bigger enough to make a difference. I hope BlackBerry throws all their remaining Q10 stock into a pile and burns them; I can't imagine why anyone would want a Q10 now that the is Classic available.

Here are my gripes:
    - The USB Micro slot is on the bottom. This means that I can't have it plugged in when it's in the holster or when I'm lying in bed and resting it on my chest (nearsighted).
    - The location of the Q10's speaker on the bottom means that if you are holding the phone with your thumb over it, you pretty much are muting it. While this can be annoying, I consider it a feature (can immediately mute any sound while you figure out how to silence the noise when it starts ringing, or an embedded video starts playing in a background tab, etc.)
    - The construction isn't 100%. The little doors for the SD and SIM cards on my phone don't quite line up. It's an aesthetic thing, but something I noticed. I paid about $150 more for the Q10 when it was new than I did for the Classic, and I'd be willing to pay that much more (though I guess not enough people did that with the Q...)
    - The metal finish on the border highlights the joint where the bottom bit meets the part that goes around the sides and top. This joint is present on the Q10 but not as visible because it's black.
    - (probably a 10.3.1 thing but still useful): You have an option to change the screen ratio for Android apps so they display as narrow-screen instead of square.
    - I'm one of the schmucks who bought an HDMI mini-to HDMI adapter so that'll go in the trash pile...
    - I also noticed the spacing between the pixels visible when you look really closely at the screen, as others have. But watching the same video on the Q10 and the Classic side-by-side, I didn't notice any real difference in terms of perceived detail. The brighter screen makes it look much better than the Q10, IMO.

The height of the keys is exactly the same (as well as the spacing between them; the bands are simply narrower with gaps on either side), but they're slightly wider.

I'm still going to carry around my Curve to use the legacy FM tuner (built in) and GPS app (GPSlogger2). Maybe the FM Tuner has had improvements since I last looked at it, but I like having my GPS track recorded on a separate device so I don't lose the track if my primary device crashes/restarts/battery dies--or in the case of BB10 apps, closes the app because 8 apps are already open.

I'll probably get rid of my Q10 (unlike my Curves, which I've kept and still use one), unless my game progress doesn't transfer over

- RG>
    MaxxxBerry23 likes this.
    01-16-15 12:10 PM
    It's a top device; the Q10 is still very good but Blackberry knew what they were doing when the slashed the price. Once you try the Classic, you cannot mistake one for the other. Very excited to hear about the 2nd generation when that comes around, and yes battery and touch keyboard the priority!

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 12:20 PM
    I hope this headset will bring internal to 2014-2015 standard and maybe a better display but necessary bring that touch keyboard from passport. I,played today with a passport wasn't love at first sight but that touch keyboard are just incredible.
    Better display? The classic has 900nits and is the brightest screen ever. What do you think could be better?

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 02:10 PM
    Why thinner? You sliding it under doors?
    LOL, this really made my day. Couldn't agree more, the list of useful stuff that is sacrificed because of this insane obsession is way too big.
    01-16-15 03:24 PM
    It's funny because years ago I actually thought about how a touch sensitive keyboard would be a good idea, and it is, but the more I think about it, the more I realize it would suck for me. While I'm typing, I actually do rest my thumbs on the keyboard while I'm thinking about what to type next and sometime I kind of run my thumbs around the keyboard while thinking, and if it was touch sensitive, that would screw me all up, lol. So I hope if they do incorporate this that there is a way to turn it off...

01-16-15 04:12 PM
    I bought one yesterday. Still haven't even moved my SIM card over from my Q10 (waiting until I get a holster), but I'm loving it. It's like night and day. If you have the chance, get it
    Yup, absolutely agree. Made the same move with same experiences. My Q10 feels very small now once I pick it up and although I skipped the Passport due to size, this is just the right upgrade as you can still use it with one hand. I even feel like the Classic is a bit faster than the Q, definitely not slower than Passport though. I get about 12 hours of battery life opposed to 8 with the Q so there's that.

That said, the SIM tray doesn't really line up with the frame one to one (goes further inside than intended) and the antenna cover is a bit wobbly.
    01-17-15 12:52 AM