I got my Classic from Craigslist and the previous owner ordered an unlock code when he handed over the device to me. The code was working and I could use it under different carrier. In about a week it started developing the infamous double typing. I sent back to the original carrier to fix it. First time it came back with nothing fixed. So I sent it over again. I got it back tonight. Surprisingly it seems being fixed this time.

Now I have a situation. The device has been relocked to the original carrier during RMA so that it is unable to work with my current carrier. I tried the original unlocking code. It didn't work any more. Do you guys think it will be possible to order another unlocking code to unlock the same device for the second time? I say the same device because its IMEI remains unchanged.

I really want to keep the phone; however, if it is unable to be unlocked, I will have to sell it because the rate plans with the original carrier are not attractive at all.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 01:10 AM
    Most likely they gave you a different phone. That's why the unlock code isn't working.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 01:45 AM
    Most likely they gave you a different phone. That's why the unlock code isn't working.

Posted via CB10
    How would I know if I got a different device? IMEI and BlackBerry PIN remain the same. For sure the case is the original.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 02:43 AM
    How would I know if I got a different device? IMEI and BlackBerry PIN remain the same. For sure the case is the original.

Posted via v
    Hmm well if the imei is the same then I'm wrong. I didn't think they could re-lock a device.

I'm also shocked that they gave you warranty repairs on a device bought from craigslist. Consider yourself extremely fortunate.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 08:18 AM
    If IMEI and PIN are the same then you have the same device. Carriers don't have a way to change main boards and flash the serials to match the original housing. That would have to be done by BlackBerry and at the amount of effort required they'd simply give you a new device.

My suggestion is to call the carrier where you sent it, tell them that you sent the phone unlocked and ask why they locked it. As long as the device has been paid for in full then you can request an unlock code from them at no charge.

However, if the person you purchased it from hasn't paid for the device in full, that may explain why it was re-locked. In this case you'll probably have to buy an unlock code on your own. Carriers aren't compelled to unlock devices that haven't been paid off.

[CB10 / Q10]
    07-16-15 08:20 AM
    You know these days BlackBerry or carriers outsource the repair center to third party. In my case the device was repaired by a different company other than BlackBerry or carrier. They must have some tools to restore the device to the last official OS from carrier. In the meantime, they just relocked the device to its manufacture status no matter if it is paid off or not.

I will talk to the carrier to see if they can unlock it for me.

May I assume each device may have many unlocking codes while every code is unique and can be used only once? I will still be able to unlock it using a different code, no? I don't mind to purchase another code as long as it will work.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 11:14 AM
    Personally I've never dealt with a locked phone that was unlocked and then re-locked. Your best bet is to call the carrier and ask. Regardless of who they used for the repair, they shouldn't have returned it locked unless they had good reason (ie: non-payment). Re-flashing an OS shouldn't lock a device.

As mentioned above, you were lucky to get the carrier to repair it since you aren't a customer and purchased the device used and second-hand. That's certainly a rare outcome.

[CB10 / Q10]
    07-16-15 04:17 PM
    Personally I've never dealt with a locked phone that was unlocked and then re-locked. Your best bet is to call the carrier and ask. Regardless of who they used for the repair, they shouldn't have returned it locked unless they had good reason (ie: non-payment). Re-flashing an OS shouldn't lock a device.

As mentioned above, you were lucky to get the carrier to repair it since you aren't a customer and purchased the device used and second-hand. That's certainly a rare outcome.

[CB10 / Q10]
    Technically speaking, I am still their customer because I opened a prepaid account with them before RMA.

I had a pleasant online chat with a csr this morning and told her the whole story. She didn't believe my device was locked after RMA. She approached support team and got an unlocking code that was exactly identical to the one I ordered online. At the end she recommended me to go back to the store where I had RMA twice and let them open a new case to ask the repair center to investigate and unlock it for me.

My device went for the third RMA within a month.

Sent from my SGH-I337M
    modifier likes this.
    07-17-15 12:15 AM