My first-ever post at CB. Been finding great info here for years. I'm posting because I'm at my wit's end regarding a critically-important feature/functionality for me. For years I've been backing up my BB then extracting with MagicBerry. I would then export as csv or txt and open my texts in Excel so I could search. My BBs have always been a BUSINESS TOOL. So I send/receive countless texts related to business. I need that info archived and accessible in a format that can be managed with reasonable efficiency.

I've had my BB Classic since March. I've backed it up several times, but the backups have been of no use to me, either because of ignorance or because how I managed my backups before simply isn't possible anymore. So many texts have accumulated in some chat threads that performance has been terribly affected. I need to clear those messages out. But I can't do that until I find a way to access the old messages that will exist only in backups.

Can someone please help me come up with a solution?

thank you, Sincerely. Jake
    07-27-15 12:44 PM
    My first-ever post at CB. Been finding great info here for years. I'm posting because I'm at my wit's end regarding a critically-important feature/functionality for me. For years I've been backing up my BB then extracting with MagicBerry. I would then export as csv or txt and open my texts in Excel so I could search. My BBs have always been a BUSINESS TOOL. So I send/receive countless texts related to business. I need that info archived and accessible in a format that can be managed with reasonable efficiency.

I've had my BB Classic since March. I've backed it up several times, but the backups have been of no use to me, either because of ignorance or because how I managed my backups before simply isn't possible anymore. So many texts have accumulated in some chat threads that performance has been terribly affected. I need to clear those messages out. But I can't do that until I find a way to access the old messages that will exist only in backups.

Can someone please help me come up with a solution?

thank you, Sincerely. Jake
    Needless to say, that's why texting is a dinosaur and not really appropriate for business.

However, you can try SMS Backup, Backup Pro, or Ultimate Backup from bbw. Whether the backup files can then be hacked to extract and organise the texts, I don't know.

Edit: just read on bbw that SMS Backup can extract to an open xml file.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-27-15 12:55 PM
    I'm being sincere...I honestly didn't know texting is a dinosaur. I'm do IT for a living, so I thought I would know if texting had gone away. Can you please elaborate? I thought texting was the preferred mode of communication "these days." What have I missed? jake
    07-28-15 11:30 AM
    I'm being sincere...I honestly didn't know texting is a dinosaur. I'm do IT for a living, so I thought I would know if texting had gone away. Can you please elaborate? I thought texting was the preferred mode of communication "these days." What have I missed? jake
    Although some people are still sticking with texting, many have moved on to instant messaging clients (which use data) like WhatsApp, BBM, Hangouts, etc. IM supports far more features than SMS.

For business, I would think email is still the best way of communicating with clients. Emails can be filed according to job, and stored on secured cloud servers for disaster recovery.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-28-15 12:12 PM
    "I would think email is still the best way of communicating with clients."

Oh, you're absolutely right. In fact, the issue of texs from clients can be a thorn in my side. Clients consider it a legitimate way to communicate, even though I regularly remind them otherwise. I archive the texts as a means of covering my own rear end. The other apps you suggested definitely are worth a look. thanks.
    07-28-15 03:37 PM