Long time BB user since 2000 and I have been on the 9900 for many years. My first exposure to OS10 was the Classic.

Pros:
    The device itself is easy transition, keyboard size, screen etc. Hardware wise it is a no brainer and everyone should consider the classic coming from 9900 for the hardware itself. The new OS10 is improved in some areas but it also falls short in others (Cons)
    -Ability to load andriod apps is the biggest improvement hands down, side load or amazon etc. Some work better than others but its huge a capability lacking on legacy OS7
    -Camera hands down now has auto focus and works like previous models with much higher resolution.

Cons:
    OS10 - the best way i can put this is if it is your first time with OS10 you will be in for some minor frustrations.
    -Slower than 9900 when it comes to basic functions, email, phone, calendar(monthly view and other features) and other basic BB features.
    -Simplicity of 9900 is removed (copy and paste into phone and edit number) quick compose emails, quick calendar entries, task manager so on.
    -Track pad reliance and keyboard inputs are less important so get ready to use screen touch input more

There are obviously other features like lack of BIS which is a pro and con at the same time if you used self filters on BIS those are gone with OS10 and Gmail is not capable of doing those type of filters.

I have posted several specific key questions in the transition from 9900 to Classic so if you check out my questions some of them have gone unanswered and the ones which have been answered, well, the answer is no or no longer works that way so be prepared for a change. So far I have learned to tolerate the changes with OS10 as a sacrifice and tradeoff for the ability to use andriod apps. Hope this helps those with the transition.
    VeryBumpy and mfurman like this.
    03-03-15 05:31 PM
    Fixed thread title typo for you.

Thanks for sharing all that feedback!
    03-03-15 06:36 PM
    Report Spam - something I could do on my 9900 that I still can't do on a bb10 device.

Posted via CB10
    jetspeedz and mfurman like this.
    03-04-15 09:33 AM
    @jetspeedz

I'm a hard core 99 user. I bought a Z10 for my grandson last summer, tried it out for a week and was very disappointed with BB10. Because I was tired of battery pulls I bought the Classic on launch day.

The Classic does not have an ergonomic keyboard, removable battery or charging contacts and the CPU is marginal.

Yes, OS7's hub is the fastest for emails and texting. I've see big improvements on the last 2 Beta updates so I think BlackBerry is working very hard to bring BB10 to equal the speed of OS7.

All 99 owners share your same feeling.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 03-05-15 at 01:19 PM.
    03-04-15 09:37 AM
    OP, yes misery needs company.

There is no alternative for pkb.

I don't like it either but I have forced myself to deal with the Classic BB10 slowness and quirks; physical keyboard and toolbelt are the forces making me do so.
    jetspeedz likes this.
    03-04-15 09:47 AM
    Please cite your sources on "most govt and big corporations" ad nauseum. Keep in mind we see Angie and Barry flashing Z devices...

Are you in corporate IT and have made these decisions?
    I work in the defense industry, that is all I can say. Take a look at this link below. When you are dealing with compartmented sensitive information there is nothing more important than encryption and comsec.

The big reason why these entities don't use OS10 is b/c of BB Balance and BB Blend. There is a big vulnerability with OS10 hence why 9900 is the latest OS7 device still used and approved. Not to say all corporations use legacy devices or even let alone BB, but the ones in specific industries will never adopt OS10 devices. The device POTUS uses is not a regular z device, i can assure you of that.

https://www1.good.com/about/security

Report Spam - something I could do on my 9900 that I still can't do on a bb10 device.

Posted via CB10
    Couldn't agree more that is actually one of the posts I created and the answer was does not exist. One poster said the way around this is by filing that spam message in the SPAM folder which i guess works but not as simple as 9900.

@jetspeedz

I'm a hard core 99 user. I bought a Z10 for my grandson last summer, tried it out for a week and was very disappointed with BB10. Because I was tired of battery pulls I bought the Classic on launch day.

The Classic does not have an ergonomic keyboard, removable battery or charging contacts and the CPU is marginal.

Yes, OS7's hub is the fastest for emails and texting. I see big improvements on the last 2 Beta updates so I think BlackBerry is working very hard to bring BB10 to equal the speed of OS7.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for that information, I'm looking forward to see what BB will do with the latest releases. On the 9900 i used to run hybrid OS to get the best of what was available. I'll eventually dabble into the hybrid OS10 releases. I hope they seriously fix the calendar, from what I have read 10.2 had a good Monthly view similar to 9900.
    OP, yes misery needs company.

There is no alternative for pkb.

I don't like it either but I have forced myself to deal with the Classic BB10 slowness and quirks; physical keyboard and toolbelt are the forces making me do so.
    Great post i missed that link. Just like yourself I'm forcing myself to overlook the issues, hopefully as Mr4aces states they will fix some of these inconveniences but im not holding my breath.

Cheers
    Last edited by jetspeedz; 03-04-15 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typo
    03-04-15 10:27 AM
    Adding to the 9900 - Classic - and back list.

Waited sooo long for the Classic, got it first day available at at&t, tried it for a week, and - waaay too complicated. I've played enough on my z10 to have sufficient familiarity with the OS, and it works well on the Z, but there are just too may steps to do tasks that are simple on the 9900. Starting messages, searching for anything, 'delete original message', alt-u, ....

So - back to the old Bold, looking for a new one, will keep mine for parts, and hope there's a better Blackberry in the works.
    I could wait for OS changes, but it's not worth it at this point. And maybe there are ways to disable features that would simplify things. I was just too disappointed in the Classic to give it more of a chance.

The size of the Classic is a little big for me, too. It wasn't as easy to work with one-handed as the Z10 and 9900 are.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    03-04-15 11:14 AM
    Adding to the 9900 - Classic - and back list.

Waited sooo long for the Classic, got it first day available at at&t, tried it for a week, and - waaay too complicated. I've played enough on my z10 to have sufficient familiarity with the OS, and it works well on the Z, but there are just too may steps to do tasks that are simple on the 9900. Starting messages, searching for anything, 'delete original message', alt-u, ....

So - back to the old Bold, looking for a new one, will keep mine for parts, and hope there's a better Blackberry in the works.
    I could wait for OS changes, but it's not worth it at this point. And maybe there are ways to disable features that would simplify things. I was just too disappointed in the Classic to give it more of a chance.

The size of the Classic is a little big for me, too. It wasn't as easy to work with one-handed as the Z10 and 9900 are.
    Believe me as a long time 9900 user i share your frustration, the phone is just not for everyone and the biggest complaint from those above is the lack of simplicity of the 9900 missing from OS10. It is certainly not for everyone and I hope the software changes to come address some of the issues but I'm simply learning to deal with it. The bold is not going away anytime soon, ATT still provides new ones to corporate customers and i recently received one a few months ago. good luck
    Last edited by jetspeedz; 03-04-15 at 03:44 PM. Reason: typo
    03-04-15 01:34 PM
    We 99 users know what you mean. I fought for 8 months on the OS7 vs BB10.

I just gave up. Keep fighting maybe the will re issue the 99 with better specs

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 03:36 PM
    This is an interesting thread. I eagerly awaited the Classic after a brief attempt to convert to the Q10 last year.

I've had the Classic a few days and I'm just not getting comfortable with it. I keep telling myself I need to stop being a dinosaur and move with the times but I just can't escape the fact that my 9900 works so well for me. BB10 just seems to be so much more complicated than OS7 for straight forward tasks.

There are also a few small things that are niggling away at me but they are mostly software related so fixable.

I'm close to returning the Classic, I think I might keep the 9900 until it really becomes barren, for now the apps I need all work and for simple communication there isn't a better solution out there for me.
    03-04-15 03:52 PM
    For those people on the fence i think the key factor is whether or not you are willing to make the tradeoff's between the two devices.

Before I even used the device, I actually read the 290 page user manual (link below), I watched all 16 official Blackberry videos (link below), and did months of research on this forum alone from people who purchased theirs on Amazon or BB direct. The day it hit ATT stores I bought it. Knowing well the complaints of the Classic before hand I had certain expectations. The manual and videos only provided me some small tips or tricks I didn't know from my 9900 and previous BB exposure, aside from the obvious general use of OS10. I guess my suggestion is to read the manual and watch the videos before you decide to return it, if you do i completely understand, I felt the same after getting some of my questions answered after i heavily got into using it.

BlackBerry Classic - Manuals and Guides

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...kUGRcYpaIddA52
    03-04-15 04:06 PM
    After 4 days of heavy usage and battling transfer issues (was still never able to get texts and some media files to transfer (among other issues) even with escalation from blackberry support - No resolution from them as of yet) there is just no way I can stay with the Classic. The 9900 is a tool that is indispensable to my business... the classic is nothing but a drain on productivity. Software is just not as efficient, BB Protect is watered down and Link in my opinion is junk compared to the previous for moving phone to phone backup/restore, keyboard is not as comfortable or ergonomic (it does get a little better with usage, but not the same) and just overall does fit or feel as comfortable in your hand. After waiting years for something like the classic to replace the 9900 it is a HUGE disappointment. Blackberry... we wanted a 9900 with more current specs and maybe a slightly larger screen. The classic cannot hold a candle to the 9900 for productivity. Ugh... back to the 9900 and its pitiful browsing, 3G, and hourglass. Anyone want to start a side business upgrading processors and memory in old 9900's ?
    DeliFresser likes this.
    03-04-15 06:13 PM
    Can't argue with you on those points. We can only hope they don't lose sight of the 9900 in the next design but with the classic coming out with OS10 trim and flavor i don't think we will see another OS7 device sadly.
    03-05-15 12:07 AM
    Well I can understand your frustration going to OS10 from 9900 used one for many years could not switch when all friends and family went to i phones I thought all I ever wanted was a bigger screen and better camera hence the Classic however the 9900 keyboard and simplicity of use will never be duplicated .9900 was the Best device (I think) RIM or Blackberry will ever produce.
    03-05-15 07:21 AM
    I've gone from an 8800 to 9630 then 9850 and now a z10. I'm not missing much of the os7. The thing that bugs me is battery life. Absolutely love the typing on the virtual machine. I loved the 9850 and 8800. The 9630 on the other hand was a pain, 5 replacements because of the not easily replaced trackball. Initially the z10 was not as fun as it now is. I miss only the app MrNumber that worked wonderful. Blockr is ok but not as easy to use.
    03-05-15 11:36 AM
    I still use my 99 with Wifi for when I want a one handed device. I agree a little to big for my small hands.

Classic Plus: I use to type 80wpm on a PC, but since I cut my finger on a chop saw I can type faster on the BB Classic with 2 thumbs and make less mistakes.
    mfurman likes this.
    03-05-15 02:13 PM
    I think one of the things that hasn't really been talked about much is how much of a turn around the Classic was.

We all know about the Q10 and the success or lack of it in terms of sales. I myself have had both 9900 and Q10 and love both.

Former CEO Heins was not a fan of the physical button "belt" including trackpad. He famously said at an Annual Shareholder meeting that he gets "tons of emails about the trackpad coming back. It won't come back"

John Chen listen to his customers both retail and enterprise and decided to upgrade the 9900 as much as possible which is what we have in the Classic form.

He has said on several basis that adding the "toolbelt" and optimizing the OS was no easy task. If you look at his comments throughout 2014 he kept saying the Classic was due in November but was hoping for it earlier in the September/October time-frame. He was getting push back from the software engineers.

I do believe that the Classic and future OS updates will try and incorporate many older BBOS features and many new ones. It will just take time. This phone needed to get released as soon as possible due to the aging and lack of BB7 devices that corporate clients needed. Heck, BB even did a limited addition run of the 9900 in order to replenish the channels for sale.

As I see it, Mr. Chen knows what 9900 users want and will make every attempt to try and capture that market within reason.

My $.02. Thx

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 10:47 PM
    The Classic is WAY better than the 9900. Regardless of what you're 'used to', once you adapt to BlackBerry 10 you will understand what I mean.

Of course long time BlackBerry 7 users are going to have to deal with a learning curve, what's the big deal with that? Nothing. It's easy. Change is good, progression is better and the Classic is a huge progression from a 9900.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 11:43 PM
    I think that is the problem in itself. Those coming from the 9900 series who were hold outs are in a learning curve. I understand though. After using a phone for a long time and knowing all its shortcuts and knowing how to get the most out of it for what you need, and then having to switch to a phone that is supposed to be a upgrade from what you have with a new os is a large curve to adjust to.

I say give It time. Once you adjust to it. Learn it's short cuts. Learn how to use it your way. You will love it as well. If not you can always sell it and find a device that's suits you best.

Posted with the unbeaten Keyboard of the BlackBerry Classic!
    03-06-15 01:25 AM
    Please cite your sources on "most govt and big corporations" ad nauseum.
    Procter & Gamble for example.
    03-06-15 02:03 AM
    I came from the 9900 to the Classic (ditched a Z10 in the middle)

The Classic is the best phone I ever had. I am happy that there still ONE company in the whole world which produces a modern smartphone with qwerty and trac-pad (including matching OS).

Period

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 12:53 PM
    The Classic is WAY better than the 9900. Regardless of what you're 'used to', once you adapt to BlackBerry 10 you will understand what I mean.

Of course long time BlackBerry 7 users are going to have to deal with a learning curve, what's the big deal with that? Nothing. It's easy. Change is good, progression is better and the Classic is a huge progression from a 9900.

Posted via CB10
    The problem, i see using this device daily as pointed out by other posters is the lack of speed and efficiency of the 9900. The hub refresh rate when a new message arrives is at least a second or two and for someone who gets lots of emails daily this type of frustration builds up and I can see why anyone would go back to a faster but not as flashy device. It's not for everyone but with improvements to come hopefully it can get more efficient. I still use the 9900 for Corporate use again due to security reasons.
    mfurman likes this.
    03-06-15 03:52 PM
    Procter & Gamble for example.
    One of many, I already responded earlier about which industries will not upgrade, and the reasons why. Security is key and OS10 is not as secure compared to OS7.
    03-06-15 03:54 PM
    Didn't know you knew them all personally ...
    03-06-15 04:03 PM
    Security is key and OS10 is not as secure compared to OS7.
    Says who?
    03-06-15 04:04 PM
46 12