If you use every function of your phone, it's hard not to miss the tool belt. There are certain things swiping just can not do, at least with the precision of the trackpad. Filling in web forms, etc.
    acovey likes this.
    05-27-14 03:22 PM
    Yes, that's one of the places I've had trouble with since my calendar is a key part of what i use this device for.

By the way, this was never intended to open up the on-going argument between BB10 and Legacy. Nope, not at all. Sorry if it did. Just a statement that for me, the Bold still works. It meets my needs better than the Q10. I prefer to use a keyboard...because again, it works for me...not a issue of being unsure to move forward with new technology by staying with the "familiar" (No way at all...just ask my wife...who always sees me wanting (and not getting enough of!) of the new tech I see!

It is a issue I have with the layout of the software interface with me the customer. And something I hope the Q20 makes easier by giving me the option to move around within the screen more accurately. Can one product fit everyone? No. I just wondered if there was anyone else out there that had noticed the lines and boxes seemed narrower than they need to be, especially when it seems to have space to utilize elsewhere in the screen layout.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-27-14 04:22 PM
    It's funny how sensitive people are on CB.

emPowered by ?
    BlackBerry lovers are feeling betrayed by all these psychos who are saying the belt is irrelevant. You're muddying the waters and presenting untruths as truth. Give a Q10 user and a 9900 user the same set of tasks--a test--(heavy typing, form filling, offic, calling, copy/paste, etc. all in succession). I guarantee you that the 9900 user will come out on top (with no variable in hardware speed).

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces, acovey and Umaima_B_Dia like this.
    05-27-14 08:30 PM
    BlackBerry lovers are feeling betrayed by all these psychos who are saying the belt is irrelevant. You're muddying the waters and presenting untruths as truth. Give a Q10 user and a 9900 user the same set of tasks--a test--(heavy typing, form filling, offic, calling, copy/paste, etc. all in succession). I guarantee you that the 9900 user will come out on top (with no variable in hardware speed).

Posted via CB10
    First, I'm not a psycho. Second, I've used a trackpad and I feel it is more efficient in BB10.

What really gets old is how people on this site attack others because they have a different opinion. Stop getting your panties in a knot over silly things. Different things work differently for different people. One thing is certain, life constantly progresses. Either you adapt or you get left behind. The choice is yours.

emPowered by ?
    05-27-14 08:54 PM
    First, I'm not a psycho. Second, I've used a trackpad and I feel it is more efficient in BB10.

What really gets old is how people on this site attack others because they have a different opinion. Stop getting your panties in a knot over silly things. Different things work differently for different people. One thing is certain, life constantly progresses. Either you adapt or you get left behind. The choice is yours.

emPowered by ?
    We're upset because you guys already have your dumbed-down touchscreen phones. Stick to your forum and stop giving BlackBerry even the slightest reinforcement that belts aren't wanted by the hardcore users. If BlackBerry reads this crap, then I'd prefer that the bullies who are trying to ruin the fun for others might stop what they're doing and stick to their own forums. This community really is the sh1ts sometimes.

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz, Mr4aces and Ray III like this.
    05-27-14 09:19 PM
    Having used a Bold 9930 as my primary device for 30 days, then a Q10 for 15 days after that, I can see the strengths (and weaknesses) of both devices.

I felt the 9930 had a better keyboard and I absolutely loved the trackpad and physical call buttons. In combination with a touch screen, it is the most versatile and adaptable user interface I have ever used on a smartphone.

The Q10 has much better touch screen functionality than the 9930, more modern OS, and better apps. And while I didn't like the keyboard quite as much as the 9930's, it's still fantastic.

All that said, the trackpad is definitely faster and more precise for text selection/editing, and in certain situations when trying to navigate the OS or apps.

There are, however, situations when a touch screen is actually better and faster. When there's a good size button you want to press, it's easier to just reach a thumb up and tap rather than cycle through the options with a trackpad.

Zooming in or out on a map or document is also generally faster and more precise using a touch screen.

I think having a trackpad on a BB10 device will be tremendous, and I sincerely hope they implement it well.

I stuck with my Z30 because I prefer screen real estate over a physical keyboard, but I really hope the Classic becomes the next iconic BlackBerry device.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    Doggerz, acovey, Mr4aces and 2 others like this.
    05-27-14 09:50 PM
    Why do touch screen users bother making negative comments in a Qwerty thread?

I was "told" Qwerty user don't want the tool belt. But it mostly like came from a touch user or someone that never used the 9900.

I think the "majority" of BB users don't come to CB because are phone are working just fine.

Yes, the track pad is the fastest with small or large hands. I have small hands and I always miss the keys on a touch phone. I can't imagine how you would hit them with large hands.
    Right on Brother I really wanted to try a Z or a Q but could not force myself to actually change reason is I really Hate typing on glass the emails I get from iphoneys and andys all have typo mistakes ,so keeping my 9900 and 9810 till classic (bring it on BB) .and John dont let em screw up Waiting..
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-28-14 06:29 AM
    It's great that the Q20/Classic is coming for those of you who want the tool belt. When I had my Bold I couldn't imagine not having it. Now that I'm on my Q10, I can't imagine going back to it. I wouldn't want it back. It would sit there there unused, redundant/superfluous, and I would resent it for that reason. It would probably get in the way.
    05-28-14 06:46 AM
    It's great that the Q20/Classic is coming for those of you who want the tool belt. When I had my Bold I couldn't imagine not having it. Now that I'm on my Q10, I can't imagine going back to it. I wouldn't want it back. It would sit there there unused, redundant/superfluous, and I would resent it for that reason. It would probably get in the way.
    I felt the same way about my Z and Q. Now that I'm back to 9900, I use touch maybe once a week. Occasionally to drag to center misbehaving zoomed in web pages. The trackpad is easier to reach for most of what I do. In fact, if I could turn off the touch digitizer, I really wouldn't miss touch at all. Trackpad obsoletes touch, IMO. If Apple had just introduced the trackpad last week, the world would be CLAMORING for it, IMO.

9900's best attribute? That satisfyingly reassuring tactile and audible "click" from the "End" button. I don't miss the Q's "end" strategy AT ALL. But, glad you love your device. Diversity is a wondrous thing!
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-28-14 07:59 AM
    I felt the same way about my Z and Q. Now that I'm back to 9900, I use touch maybe once a week. Occasionally to drag to center misbehaving zoomed in web pages. The trackpad is easier to reach for most of what I do. In fact, if I could turn off the touch digitizer, I really wouldn't miss touch at all. Trackpad obsoletes touch, IMO. If Apple had just introduced the trackpad last week, the world would be CLAMORING for it, IMO.

9900's best attribute? That satisfyingly reassuring tactile and audible "click" from the "End" button. I don't miss the Q's "end" strategy AT ALL. But, glad you love your device. Diversity is a wondrous thing!
    I never had a 9900, but I always thought that it should have the option to disable the touch screen. I would have used that trackpad only. I think the Q20 should come with the option to disable the touch screen.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-28-14 09:56 AM
    I never had a 9900, but I always thought that it should have the option to disable the touch screen. I would have used that trackpad only. I think the Q20 should come with the option to disable the touch screen.
    We've "successfully" disabled touch on two 9930s in our office. Our three "star players" managed to modify code from a locking app but have been unable to contact the author for permission so were kind of stuck there. I can guarantee the same three will pursue disabling touch on the Q20. Of course the track functions on the 9930 have FULL access to phone functions. Touch functions on that phone are completely redundant. No clue how much control BBRY will give the Q's track access to. They could easily still require touch for some things. We'll just have to see.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-28-14 12:01 PM
    We've "successfully" disabled touch on two 9930s in our office. Our three "star players" managed to modify code from a locking app but have been unable to contact the author for permission so were kind of stuck there. I can guarantee the same three will pursue disabling touch on the Q20. Of course the track functions on the 9930 have FULL access to phone functions. Touch functions on that phone are completely redundant. No clue how much control BBRY will give the Q's track access to. They could easily still require touch for some things. We'll just have to see.
    Hello Steve,
    I have been reading your various postings, so I'm familiar with your business switched back to the Bold. Your one of many loyal BB users that love the Bold. When I switched from OS6 to OS7.1 it slowed way down and the battery went to hell. If it wasn't for the apps I would have love to go back to OS6. I would like your opinion on the OS7.1 in your application. Maybe you could start a new thread in the 9900 forum?

I also don't use the touch at all. I keep hoping the Q20 will have the latest hardware and the option to turn off the touch screen. If BB does not key the ergonomic keyboard I won't buy it.
    05-28-14 12:41 PM
    Hello Steve,
    I have been reading your various postings, so I'm familiar with your business switched back to the Bold. Your one of many loyal BB users that love the Bold. When I switched from OS6 to OS7.1 it slowed way down and the battery went to hell. If it wasn't for the apps I would have love to go back to OS6. I would like your opinion on the OS7.1 in your application. Maybe you could start a new thread in the 9900 forum?

I also don't use the touch at all. I keep hoping the Q20 will have the latest hardware and the option to turn off the touch screen. If BB does not key the ergonomic keyboard I won't buy it.
    Some here in the office are worried I'm saying too much on the forums but I'll c u over in the 9900 forum.
    05-28-14 07:30 PM
    I think the simplicity of OS6 and 7 is just familiarity. For example The file management system is much simpler and much better layed out on bb10 then on the legacy system. For a lot of things there is less steps with a BB10. But its slightly different from the legacy system. So there is a learning curve. Must say there are a few settings and features in legacy OS that should be brought back to bb10 and the tool belt is the first thing I missed it's a very sweet piece of hardware.

Swordsmanship Channel C000C9AF6
    06-04-14 08:57 AM
    Of course the track functions on the 9930 have FULL access to phone functions. Touch functions on that phone are completely redundant. No clue how much control BBRY will give the Q's track access to. They could easily still require touch for some things. We'll just have to see.
    99.9% of the 9930's functions can be done with the trackpad. There are a few exceptions. On the home screen, the only way to adjust the icon bar is dragging it on the touch screen. In Opera Mini, they detect whether you're using a touchscreen phone and change the interface to one that forces you to use the touchscreen for the toolbar buttons.
    idssteve likes this.
    06-07-14 12:35 PM
    Agreed!!
    Agreed !!!!
    06-07-14 06:48 PM
    99.9% of the 9930's functions can be done with the trackpad. There are a few exceptions. On the home screen, the only way to adjust the icon bar is dragging it on the touch screen. In Opera Mini, they detect whether you're using a touchscreen phone and change the interface to one that forces you to use the touchscreen for the toolbar buttons.
    Yeah, totally forgot about the icon bar. Haven't adjusted it since the first day. Haven't tried Opera Mini for a LONG time. Good point, tho. Apps can require things beyond OS requirements. Holding my breath that Chen stands good his intention to make it "seamless". We'll see in November.
    06-09-14 06:42 AM
    Well put. I am in the same boat and swapped my 9900 from secondary to primary versus my Q10 for the reasons you mention. You didn't mention the shortcut keys, but I miss those ALOT.

I don't see why BB can't/didn't make a virtual toolbelt for the Q10 and shortcut keys.
    06-09-14 01:57 PM
    Why not just put a virtual track pad in the action bar? Problem solved no? It's better than the big blue most common action button in 10.3.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 12:02 AM
    Sure, how about a virtual steering wheel in your car LCD in place of that clumsy rotating contraption? I think it should be the same, so let's git 'er done!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-17-14 02:57 AM
  21. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Bold 9900 >>>>>>> q10.

The classic hopefully will be the true replacement for the iconic bold 9900..

With up to date specs and awesome camera too!!!

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 07:59 AM
    Sure, how about a virtual steering wheel in your car LCD in place of that clumsy rotating contraption? I think it should be the same, so let's git 'er done!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    If you were replying to me, the comparison you're making is illogical. The virtual track pad has been implemented in some apps and works decently well. Those apps are third party, now imagine if BlackBerry fine tuned it. They would have it available across their whole range of devices and not just limited to one. It's not as if the track pad is the only steering wheel for BB10 either to follow your analogy. The devices were intended for all touch navigation. If you weren't replying to me, well then disregard.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by tufcustomer; 06-17-14 at 09:58 PM.
    06-17-14 05:21 PM
    Bold 9900 >>>>>>> q10.

The classic hopefully will be the true replacement for the iconic bold 9900..

With up to date specs and awesome camera too!!!

Posted via CB10
    I've noticed your replies all this while. You sound like an over enthusiastic teenager. You sure you're a world traveler and former ceo? trolololol

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 06:41 PM
    I don't see how you can feel a virtual trackpad. It would not be the same.
    06-18-14 03:09 PM
    I don't see how you can feel a virtual trackpad. It would not be the same.
    Take "track pad editor" in the BlackBerry App World for a spin. It's a third party app that works relatively well. My point is with the virtual track pad BlackBerry can make the entire range more enticing to users who are hesitant to upgrade due to change in navigation.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 07:30 PM
52 123