In all the reading around, I've yet to find this one...if I'm mistaken, apologies up front if this has been covered.

One of the reasons I went back to my 9900 Legacy was the simplicity. Simplicity in all kinds of ways (I'm not big on apps, bot functionality of the basics are what I am seeking). I admit it, I learned to be very fast with my Q10...I got real good with the swiping and I liked the speed of the BB10 and its added features. But the ease of sliding around that touch pad and touching on/off buttons on my Legacy was just much easier.

One of the factors in this is that larger hands and fingers. And yet prefer the smaller pocket size of my Bold or my Q10. I consistently found harder (and therefore slower) to touch the narrow bands on menus within the calendar function, the on/off "x" on apps, and other aspects within the Q10 layout where a touch was required. The touch pad of the Bold allows me to manuever around and either choose/select or so much more highlight the icon or command, its much easier to make my choices.

Was the Q10 unuseable for me...no. Just the Legacy fits me better. One of the reasons I'm looking ahead to the Q20 for the best of both worlds. Anyone else have Q10 difficulty due to sizing?
    Mr4aces, phuoc, Doggerz and 1 others like this.
    05-21-14 11:33 PM
    Yeah different people different stroke
    Enjoy your BlackBerry bro

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 11:36 PM
    I think that's actually a major reason (besides the text selection), it requires a lot of concentration to touch the correct part of the screen and therefore slows you down or results in mistakes or simply cannot be operated in distracting conditions.
    Doggerz, dalight13, acovey and 2 others like this.
    05-22-14 11:45 AM
    I think that's actually a major reason (besides the text selection), it requires a lot of concentration to touch the correct part of the screen and therefore slows you down or results in mistakes or simply cannot be operated in distracting conditions.
    come ooonnnn
    05-22-14 11:58 AM
    I feel ya. The track pad made selecting/cutting/pasting way faster than doing it on the touch screen without a track pad.

I want a slider though so I know what it's like to be unpopular. I imagine a Z10/30 screen with no bottom row of icons (phone/search/camera) but a trackpad to take its place. No more random flashes of lights as you take a million unwanted photos. No embarrassing mis dials.

Either that or a voice recognition that worked as well as James T Kirk's communicator. And forget about interface at all. Just a round spinning thing and some blinking lights. They'd have me on that for sure.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA
    acovey likes this.
    05-22-14 12:09 PM
    Why do touch screen users bother making negative comments in a Qwerty thread?

I was "told" Qwerty user don't want the tool belt. But it mostly like came from a touch user or someone that never used the 9900.

I think the "majority" of BB users don't come to CB because are phone are working just fine.

Yes, the track pad is the fastest with small or large hands. I have small hands and I always miss the keys on a touch phone. I can't imagine how you would hit them with large hands.
    acovey likes this.
    05-22-14 12:41 PM
    I came from the 9930 to the Q10 and after about 30 seconds I was over the tool belt.
    Yes the tool belt was handy now using the Q10 I dont miss it
    05-22-14 12:44 PM
    Why do touch screen users bother making negative comments in a Qwerty thread?

I was "told" Qwerty user don't want the tool belt. But it mostly like came from a touch user or someone that never used the 9900.

I think the "majority" of BB users don't come to CB because are phone are working just fine.

Yes, the track pad is the fastest with small or large hands. I have small hands and I always miss the keys on a touch phone. I can't imagine how you would hit them with large hands.
    I'm not a qwerty user at the moment. But I am looking to be one again. I honestly am looking for a device that just doesn't exist yet.

But I think all BlackBerry users should be understanding and tolerant of others. I'm using an all touch but man I really relate to a lot on the comments about people missing the trackpad.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA
    Mr4aces and acovey like this.
    05-22-14 01:37 PM
    In all the reading around, I've yet to find this one...if I'm mistaken, apologies up front if this has been covered.

One of the reasons I went back to my 9900 Legacy was the simplicity. Simplicity in all kinds of ways (I'm not big on apps, bot functionality of the basics are what I am seeking). I admit it, I learned to be very fast with my Q10...I got real good with the swiping and I liked the speed of the BB10 and its added features. But the ease of sliding around that touch pad and touching on/off buttons on my Legacy was just much easier.

One of the factors in this is that larger hands and fingers. And yet prefer the smaller pocket size of my Bold or my Q10. I consistently found harder (and therefore slower) to touch the narrow bands on menus within the calendar function, the on/off "x" on apps, and other aspects within the Q10 layout where a touch was required. The touch pad of the Bold allows me to manuever around and either choose/select or so much more highlight the icon or command, its much easier to make my choices.

Was the Q10 unuseable for me...no. Just the Legacy fits me better. One of the reasons I'm looking ahead to the Q20 for the best of both worlds. Anyone else have Q10 difficulty due to sizing?
    My only issue with the BlackBerry classic is the physical size of it. I like the smaller bold size but the Q10 size is ok for one handed. If the classic doesn't fit comfortable in my hands then it's not for me
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-22-14 02:08 PM
    I came from the 9930 to the Q10 and after about 30 seconds I was over the tool belt.
    Yes the tool belt was handy now using the Q10 I dont miss it
    I came from same(9930) got used to the Q real fast also, but I'd still love to have the belt back. Best of both my friend
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-22-14 02:24 PM
    My finger is about 3/4" wide and obscures screen real estate from edge to finger tip. If the selected object is on the far corner of the screen, my finger obscures roughly 0.75"x3" = 2.25 square inches of screen real estate. The trackpad cursor tip can be a single pixel wide, about 0.0035", and the pointer arrow about 0.05" wide by about 0.08" long. The trackpad cursor only obscures, roughly, about 0.002 square inches of screen real estate.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-22-14 04:59 PM
    My only issue with the BlackBerry classic is the physical size of it. I like the smaller bold size but the Q10 size is ok for one handed. If the classic doesn't fit comfortable in my hands then it's not for me
    I also have small hands and like the size of my 9900. I use to think I wanted a big, big screen with a keyboard, but now I use a tablet for internet surfing. I have excepted the fact that it is a phone and not a mini computer. We live in an area where there is no internet so I limit my web browsing to 2-3 days a week with a tablet.

They say in CB that the screen will be 3.5 vs 3.1 on the Q10 with a 1 to 1 ratio (square). But who knows for sure what the Q20 will look like. I'm ok with. 3.5 just as long as they use a ergonomic curved keyboard like on the 9900. This is the fast texting phone!
    05-22-14 06:52 PM

They say in CB that the screen will be 3.5 vs 3.1 on the Q10 with a 1 to 1 ratio (square). But who knows for sure what the Q20 will look like. I'm ok with. 3.5 just as long as they use a ergonomic curved keyboard like on the 9900. This is the fast texting phone!
    Agreed!
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-22-14 07:51 PM
    I also have small hands and like the size of my 9900. I use to think I wanted a big, big screen with a keyboard, but now I use a tablet for internet surfing. I have excepted the fact that it is a phone and not a mini computer. We live in an area where there is no internet so I limit my web browsing to 2-3 days a week with a tablet.

Since trackpad cursor takes up a fraction of the screen real estate that a finger does, screen size is less critical to navigation on trackpad devices. Maybe still significant for other reasons, but not so much for navigation. I, personally, think BBRY got pretty close to perfection with the 9900 form factor. IMO.

The 9900's curved keyboard is an ergonomic masterpiece that coordinates well with natural articulation radius of my old arthritic thumbs. The "straight" kb on the Q I used for a few months was ok but the 9930 is faster and more precise, for me. "Muscle memory" is also provided useful position data input for locating keys on the curved kb. Something somewhat lacking in the straight Q. Not terrible because the Q is the second best kb i've used. 9900's kb is the standard to judge all others by.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-23-14 09:30 AM
    Actually I'm looking forward to the tool belt and I think the BlackBerry classic could make a very nice device. The only thing that might happen with a lot of Q10 users is that in the end they're not really using it because the swiping became so familiar.

Therefore a main success factor will be the way in which the tool belt is going to be implemented in terms of system integration.
    05-24-14 01:04 PM
    I second this! I prefer the handability, if you will, of my old curve. I got a Z10 my hand got used to the size, but I ended up getting a Q10. Fits much better in the hand but I missed the curved back of my curve which made it sit in your hand so nicely. So I know I'm against the trend, but I want a small mobile computing, with a keyboard, which sits inside the palm of my hand. Besides I miss the amazing battery life and the indestructible build of my old curve. You could throw that thing across the room no worries
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-25-14 10:32 AM
    I have average size hands and really struggle inside the Calendar app. Especially in the repeat section.
    05-25-14 10:36 AM
    I could never imagine going back to the tool belt. Some of your comments reflect the unpopular preservationist perspective. In order for any entity to survive it must continually adapt and evolved.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 06:15 PM
    I could never imagine going back to the tool belt. Some of your comments reflect the unpopular preservationist perspective. In order for any entity to survive it must continually adapt and evolved.

Posted via CB10
    There are 2 paths BB has taken in the consumer mobile phone market. Qwerty and touch. Unless you used a belt it would be hard to imagine how it more efficient than swiping, pinching and one finger typing.

Qwerty users want the apps and faster OS of the BB10 but want to keep the speed of the 9900 keyboard/track. Hopefully the Q20 will bring this together along with a faster processor, more RAM and storage. I thought I wanted a big screen, but I have excepted the fact I rather have the compact size for my pocket and use a tablet for surfing. Besides aren't we at home or office more than at a restaurant or shopping?
    acovey likes this.
    05-26-14 09:24 PM
    I come from the old tool belt days, even further back than that actually, and feel the Q10 is the perfect BlackBerry marriage. I will even say that a touch/keyboard device is where BlackBerry should've been a long long time ago. I find the swiping and touch to be more efficient than scrolling and scrolling on a trackpad. But, this is personal preference, just as it is for those who are reluctant to let go of their older devices. It really boils down to familiarity and muscle memory. Once we get used to a certain way, that way sticks with us until we feel adventurous again.

Thankfully BlackBerry has decided to bridge the gap with the Classic, which I hope will eventually bring all BlackBerry users to BB10. With all of the anticipation of the Classic posted here on CB, it seems as though the migration will start to happen.

emPowered by ?
    acovey and Mr4aces like this.
    05-26-14 10:11 PM
    I find the swiping and touch to be more efficient than scrolling and scrolling on a trackpad. But, this is personal preference, just as it is for those who are reluctant to let go of their older devices. It really boils down to familiarity and muscle memory. Once we get used to a certain way, that way sticks with us until we feel adventurous again.
    emPowered by ?
    Please don't feel flamed but I sure wish I could find the way to convey how wrong your assumptions are about "legacy holdouts". I see this repeated and repeated. Please understand that for many, if not most by now, it has NOthing to do with being "reluctant to let go" nor "familiarity" nor getting "used to a certain way" nor to "feel adventurous again". It has EVERYthing to do with what simply works better for us. I can't understand why that is so difficult to accept. ??

I have been full circle from tool belt to Z for nine months, to Q for 3 months and back to 9900. As a power user, I embrased and mastered these devices and squeezed optimum performance from each. There was NO "clinging to the familiar". There was NO "fear of new". I am as far from a technophobe as you will ever find. I openly challenge ANYone to best my performance on Z, Q or legacy.

In the end I just had to accept the honest truth that the 9900 is the best choice for what I do. That's all there is to it. Please, I beg of you, CB, BBRY and everyone else, please just accept that simple fact. Please.

7.1 has issues but it is mature. Maturity that includes some valuable capabilities. 10 has GREAT promise but is still maturing. Immaturity that has yet to include some valuable capabilities. Yet. I'm eagerly anticipating the day that 10 will be a TRUE upgrade. Maybe the Q20?
    05-27-14 12:43 AM
    Please don't feel flamed but I sure wish I could find the way to convey how wrong your assumptions are about "legacy holdouts". I see this repeated and repeated. Please understand that for many, if not most by now, it has NOthing to do with being "reluctant to let go" nor "familiarity" nor getting "used to a certain way" nor to "feel adventurous again". It has EVERYthing to do with what simply works better for us. I can't understand why that is so difficult to accept. ??

I have been full circle from tool belt to Z for nine months, to Q for 3 months and back to 9900. As a power user, I embrased and mastered these devices and squeezed optimum performance from each. There was NO "clinging to the familiar". There was NO "fear of new". I am as far from a technophobe as you will ever find. I openly challenge ANYone to best my performance on Z, Q or legacy.

In the end I just had to accept the honest truth that the 9900 is the best choice for what I do.
    Ummm, I'm not sure what part of "personal preference" you misunderstood. I've stated in other threads that I know BB10 lacks some features/functions that should've been brought over from OS7; however, most people seem stuck on the tool belt with regards to the Classic. There are those who refuse to move into the newer devices simply because they don't have a tool belt, which is clear by their comments. So yes, clinging to the old does come into play. This is also why I said it will hopefully START the transition.

BB10 will eventually catch up to where OS7 was, even though they took the scenic path. It works for others and they were able to transition without losing their ability to function mobile. So again, personal preference and another's ability work something out for them.

emPowered by ?
    05-27-14 06:34 AM
    Ummm, I'm not sure what part of "personal preference" you misunderstood. I've stated in other threads that I know BB10 lacks some features/functions that should've been brought over from OS7; however, most people seem stuck on the tool belt with regards to the Classic. There are those who refuse to move into the newer devices simply because they don't have a tool belt, which is clear by their comments. So yes, clinging to the old does come into play. This is also why I said it will hopefully START the transition.

BB10 will eventually catch up to where OS7 was, even though they took the scenic path. It works for others and they were able to transition without losing their ability to function mobile. So again, personal preference and another's ability work something out for them.

emPowered by ?
    Well, my personal preference is that the tool belt is utterly essential. Like MANY power users, that preference is NOT based on fear of transition. It's base on actual, true life, experience. AND our honest acceptance of what that experience is telling us. Something BBRY and others seem unwilling to accept. Our current legacy preference is based on the fact that BBRY currently offers NO tool belt and, as stated before, the immaturity of BB10. We totally agree that the Q20 offers promise to transition us hold outs into BB10 but if BBRY thinks it has much hope of transitioning us away from tool belt they are tragically mistaken.

The ONLY reason you can refer to tool belt as "old" is simply because BBRY, CB and too many in these forums have arbitrarily chosen to call it old. If it's BBRY's intention to obsolete the toolbelt, that choice, or preference, simply isn't supported by the true life experience of too many power users. If coerced into abandoning the belt I, and many i know, will explore other beltless platforms. BBRY will not, in the foreseeable future, get another dime of my money without the toolbelt. If they're getting all the money they want then that preference is up to them.
    05-27-14 08:03 AM
    Well, my personal preference is that the tool belt is utterly essential. Like MANY power users, that preference is NOT based on fear of transition. It's base on actual, true life, experience. AND our honest acceptance of what that experience is telling us. Something BBRY and others seem unwilling to accept. Our current legacy preference is based on the fact that BBRY currently offers NO tool belt and, as stated before, the immaturity of BB10. We totally agree that the Q20 offers promise to transition us hold outs into BB10 but if BBRY thinks it has much hope of transitioning us away from tool belt they are tragically mistaken.

The ONLY reason you can refer to tool belt as "old" is simply because BBRY, CB and too many in these forums have arbitrarily chosen to call it old. If it's BBRY's intention to obsolete the toolbelt, that choice, or preference, simply isn't supported by the true life experience of too many power users. If coerced into abandoning the belt I, and many i know, will explore other beltless platforms. BBRY will not, in the foreseeable future, get another dime of my money without the toolbelt. If they're getting all the money they want then that preference is up to them.
    It's funny how sensitive people are on CB.

emPowered by ?
    05-27-14 08:18 AM
    It's funny how sensitive people are on CB.

emPowered by ?
    I apologize for my rant. You seem like a well meaning person and i should not have directed my rants in reply to you. I suspect some of the sensitivity you'll encounter around the Q20 derives from the importance devices like these are to our very livelihood. Small mistakes in operation can cost us our job, in some cases.

Case in point, a valued coworker, last year, failed to properly hang up her Q and the customer listened for some time before calling me to warn me of the issue. His concern was that his competitors might have just as easily heard that conversation. There were previous incidents and we lost that customer who moved to our competitor. That competitor was still using 9650s, btw. I intervened and "took the hit for the team" to prevent management from discharging that valuable employee. Part of my hit involved identifying the problem and correcting it. We also lost last year's bonus. Coming to these forums seeking an implementable solution several in my crew encountered breathtakingly unhelpful condescension. I agree that "operator error" was the root cause. We had expected a transition period but it became inescapably obvious that hardware was contributing to the persistent errors. Errors that in a consumer environment are laughable. Errors that in a business environment are intolerable. Sorry for the long explanation. That's the "excuse" for my apparent sensitivity on the subject.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-27-14 10:01 AM
52 123