I have seen a lot of people say that the Q20 is taking a step back. Here is why this phone is a great idea:

Legacy devices still outsell BlackBerry 10 devices. Many on Legacy devices have upgraded to a BB10 device and gone back to Legacy device. Many on Legacy devices have not gone to BB10 due to not having any combination of the track pad or function keys.

Those are indisputable truths. If you doubt that, take a look through these forums. I personally do not miss any of the "tool belt", but we must recognize that this is a phone designed for those people; to get them on board with BB10. It is a targeted audience, just as all touch Z10+Z30 appeal to those who don't want physical keyboards. I have no interest in the Z series, but I don't go around bashing BlackBerry because they are making a phone I don't want, I enjoy the phone I do have. If BlackBerry is to survive, they need to hold on to its current base.

Taking away screen size is another complaint. The Q10 has a 3.1" screen, the Q20 with trackpad and all will have a 3.5" screen.

Posted with my ?Q10 running 10.2.1.1925.
    AhDucatti likes this.
    02-25-14 09:40 AM
    I don't see people "bashing" BB for these moves. I personally think a trackpad is a step back but that's just my opinion. No need to bash. I wish every future Q20 owner good luck and I hope by the time my contract is up there's something even better there for me to buy!!!
    angieberry10 likes this.
    02-25-14 09:45 AM
    Indisputable truths eh?

Legacy devices outsell BB10 devices... possibly due to pricing, availability, BIS, etc. Very unlikely a significant portion of the difference is due to the lack of the 5 keys.

"Many" have upgraded to BB10 devices and have gone back... how many is "many"? 1000? 10,000? 100,000? Is targeting this market profitable?

Again, "many" on legacy have not gone to BB10 due to not having trackpad + function keys... how many is "many" again? Is it profitable to target this segment?

I actually like the option of the hard keys, but it's not completely clear that the amount of new BB10 users it will create will be profitable. Careful using words like "many."
    02-25-14 09:51 AM
    Why not think of it as a lateral step.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 10:12 AM
    I'm glad to see it coming back. I love BB10, but I was honestly considering ordering a Bold 9900, as I really want the call keys and the trackpad. More important than apps for me is the ability to quickly manage calls and edit text (both of which are more difficult to manage than they should be).

I like the looks of the device without the tool bar/keys. But the functionality will be greatly improved for me (as a power user who primarily uses my phone as a communications device).

If people are upset by this, then the Z phones should fill their needs (as entertainment is apparently more important to these folk than communications efficiency).
    02-25-14 11:24 AM
    I wonder how many people here have considered Apple's incremental hardware update to show lack of innovation. Is there a word for the reverse innovation of bringing back the trackpad?
    02-25-14 11:31 AM
    I wonder how many people here have considered Apple's incremental hardware update to show lack of innovation. Is there a word for the reverse innovation of bringing back the trackpad?
    Yes. It's called fixing a mistake.
    02-25-14 11:38 AM
    I really don't think the Q20 will make BBOS owners buy them in droves. Don't start pumping yourself as if all that made BBOS great will be back just because physical buttons are back. BB10 works differently and so too will the BELT to some degree with BB10. I foresee many ex legacy owners will complain about these things. I want to see BlackBerry bounce back. We all share that one wish on these forums but don't get your expectations up that this will be Blackberry's saviour. BBOS devices may be outpacing BB10 devices but don't make the mistake of assuming BBOS is still popular. In total BlackBerry is losing tons of marketshare to devices that are inexpensive and do not have physical keyboards, buttons or trackpads.

I don't mind seeing this device. The 'classic' as it were. But I only see it as a stepping stone to get BBOS users addicted to BB10 not as a complete change in direction. I like the Q10 without the trackpad and buttons. I learned how to use it as it is. I don't need to go back. If BlackBerry changes all Qwerty phones to include trackpads then I will only be buying touchscreen devices from then on. I want a physical keyboard without a trackpad and a bigger screen. That would be better for me. My hope is the give us the option and more users will be happy.
    Brian Portelli likes this.
    02-25-14 11:46 AM
    I really don't think the Q20 will make BBOS owners buy them in droves. Don't start pumping yourself as if all that made BBOS great will be back just because physical buttons are back. BB10 works differently and so too will the BELT to some degree with BB10. I foresee many ex legacy owners will complain about these things. I want to see BlackBerry bounce back. We all share that one wish on these forums but don't get your expectations up that this will be Blackberry's saviour. BBOS devices may be outpacing BB10 devices but don't make the mistake of assuming BBOS is still popular. In total BlackBerry is losing tons of marketshare to devices that are inexpensive and do not have physical keyboards, buttons or trackpads.

I don't mind seeing this device. The 'classic' as it were. But I only see it as a stepping stone to get BBOS users addicted to BB10 not as a complete change in direction. I like the Q10 without the trackpad and buttons. I learned how to use it as it is. I don't need to go back. If BlackBerry changes all Qwerty phones to include trackpads then I will only be buying touchscreen devices from then on. I want a physical keyboard without a trackpad and a bigger screen. That would be better for me. My hope is the give us the option and more users will be happy.
    It won't get all BBOS to convert but exactly to your point, I think once people are comfortable converting to BB10, they could from there branch off to future BB10 devices.

I think it is a sign that BlackBerry is making different phones to target different factions; full touchscreen, physical keyboard with no tool belt, physical keyboard with tool belt.

I have 2 Q10's so I may well upgrade one of them for a Q20.

Posted with my ?Q10 running 10.2.1.1925.
    02-25-14 03:37 PM
    I know it's a small sample size, but two people in our office upgraded their phones. They were both rocking the Torch slider, one of them used the Qwerty pad, one of them used the screen keypad. They did not upgrade to Blackberry 10. The reason they gave was that they didn't want a phone without any buttons to answer/end a call, get menus and to go home. Personal preference. Options are good. Choice is good. I don't think Chen woke up in the middle of the night and screamed out, "I'm bringing the belt back baby!!" I would assume, and I think someone on the site mentioned this already, that they had consultations with many businesses and figured that there was a big enough market to have it as an option. I think it makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is people being offended by it. I've never seen such a reaction in all my life. It's kinda weird actually, people don't have to buy the phone and it clearly won't be the only new phone ever offered by Blackberry. For me, I'm rocking a Z10, but I miss my bold keyboard. Didn't upgrade to a Q10 because I felt the screen was just a bit to small. But a 3.5" screen, and call buttons? I think that might be my perfect phone. Can't wait to see it.
    02-28-14 06:31 AM
    If the Belt is a step back, then how is the Q10 not a step back? This really is a smart move for BB. Not sure if I will buy the Q20, but I like the direction Chen is going.
    02-28-14 12:14 PM
    I don't see how precise text editing can be considered a step back.

If anything it's a step forward because we now have a great modern os to go along with it.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 02:05 PM