I wish BlackBerry changed its nomenclature to denote year of release. For instance, the next set of Qwerty models should be Q14, Q15,...; touchscreen models should be Z14, Z15,...; limited edition models should be P14, P15,...

It helps instant recognition & ranking like in the sports car market.
    04-29-14 07:31 AM
    Would that not be a bit pointless? I'm sure BB have far greater concerns.

Also, if this was so, and I had a Blackberry Z13, I'd constantly be reminded that my phone was already 'last year', and that's made even worse by the standard 2 year contract stuff nowadays.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-29-14 07:40 AM
    What if they release to keyboard phones next year? The Q152nd?
    04-29-14 02:56 PM
    BlackBerry has already announced shift to niche market. The point is : don't flood the market with multiple models. Do one thing. Do it proper. It helps retain premium pricing & manage high expectations.
    04-29-14 09:29 PM
    Apple's biggest achievement is creating a mysterious cult image for its products. Each launch gets pre-dawn queues. BlackBerry is equally competent in engineering but seems shy of flaunting.

A consumer product needs a friendly name, not a bunch of digits, like 8520, 9981, 9982,... to denote class, style & superiority.
    04-29-14 09:38 PM

A consumer product needs a friendly name, not a bunch of digits, like 8520, 9981, 9982,... to denote class, style & superiority.
    Rubbish.

You only mention the numbers. Also with these numbers the phone's more common names are/were used, such as 'Curve', 'Pearl', 'Bold' or whatever.

Apple does indeed get the big queue's at release, but not because of it's name. Apple has been Apple for along time, as has Blackberry. iPhone is thier phone name, which they now call the 'Iphone5', which was preceded by '4' and '3'...

Blackberry's marketing strategy (if you can call it that) has naff all to do with names. As long as the name is reasonable, and not the 'Blackberry Plop' or something, it matters little. BB10 is a great platform, and the handsets are excellent also, IMO - but Blackberry's current woes are from missing the boat years ago now, and that's why they're struggling to bring the brand back to prominence.
    04-30-14 07:26 AM