Hi Guys,

After having a free work Classic BB, I am now getting a personal one and have a few questions:

1. How well does a 128GB MicroSD work on the Classic? If nearly full, does it slow the Classic down at all?

2. What brand/model do you guys recommend for a 128GB microSD? Does it really matter or just get the cheapest one I can find on amazon? (I will be buying it on amazon.) I am thinking of getting this one: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-micro...UvbUpU12474702

3. I need to find a fast way to load files onto the MicroSD. It is way too slow to load the files when the SD is in the phone, so I am thinking of something like this, since I have a USB 3.0 Port on my laptop: https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Inf...UvbUpU12474702

4. Although this https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/K53E/specifications/ suggests that I have a USB 3.0 port on my laptop, I don't see it listed in Device Manager. Any ideas why that might be? One of my USB ports is clearly blue, while the other two aren't, again, suggesting that I have a 3.0 port.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Baritone Astoria; 06-18-16 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Added a sentence at the end
    06-18-16 12:16 PM
    1. Pretty well: had one in my Passport, moved it to my Priv.
    2. I have that exact one, actually.
    3. USB 3.0 micro SD reader; I have a Transcend one but not that one.
    4. Blue port usually means USB 3.0 now; do you have the drivers installed? I know on my desktop USB 3.0 appears separately in Device Manager, but that's probably because it's handled by a separate chip rather than the motherboard chipset.
    06-18-16 12:30 PM
    1. A 128GB card will work in your Classic. If full, it could slow down your phone when indexing is being performed (for instance, at boot-up.) You can alleviate this by not rebooting your phone if you have a choice, and by getting a high read-speed card.

2. In my experience, SanDisk has been a good brand, as have PNY and Kingston. I use SanDisk cards the most.

3. If you're moving files from an existing card, transferring them to a computer first indeed is the best way to go. Since there are two components to a transfer (read and write,) you're going to get the best speeds when you use your computer: the read speed of your old card (constant maximum) and the write speed of your computer's USB 2.0/3.0 connection.

4. Maybe it varies between K53E variants? I did a search on Amazon, for example, and the K53E that came up ($220) doesn't seem to have a USB 3.0 port.
    06-18-16 12:33 PM
    Thanks!

4. Blue port usually means USB 3.0 now; do you have the drivers installed?
    I don't know. Is there an easy way for me to check?

If the USB appears separate in the Device manager, under which tab?
    06-18-16 12:47 PM
    1. A 128GB card will work in your Classic. If full, it could slow down your phone when indexing is being performed (for instance, at boot-up.) You can alleviate this by not rebooting your phone if you have a choice, and by getting a high read-speed card.
    Thanks! Is the SanDisk I listed above a high speed read card? If not, could you recommend a high speed read card?

3. If you're moving files from an existing card, transferring them to a computer first indeed is the best way to go. Since there are two components to a transfer (read and write,) you're going to get the best speeds when you use your computer: the read speed of your old card (constant maximum) and the write speed of your computer's USB 2.0/3.0 connection.
    My goal is to transfer from laptop to SD card. I have found doing so with the card in the phone to be veeeery slow. So I am considering other options.

4. Maybe it varies between K53E variants? I did a search on Amazon, for example, and the K53E that came up ($220) doesn't seem to have a USB 3.0 port.
    Ok, I found a more exact model number (K53E-DS31) and this shows a 3.0 port is indeed included: Asus K53E-DS31 laptops specifications
    06-18-16 12:56 PM
    Thanks!

I don't know. Is there an easy way for me to check?

If the USB appears separate in the Device manager, under which tab?
    Universal Serial Bus controllers.

My USB 3.0 stuff shows up as "ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller", but again, it's a third-party chip.
    06-18-16 01:16 PM
    Thanks! Is the SanDisk I listed above a high speed read card? If not, could you recommend a high speed read card?
    Oh, sorry. I missed that in your post. Yes--that's a good card. UHS-1/class 10.

My goal is to transfer from laptop to SD card. I have found doing so with the card in the phone to be veeeery slow. So I am considering other options.
    I think even with USB2.0 it's better to use your laptop over your phone. 2.0's theoretical max is 480 mbps and I doubt a phone's tops that.

Ok, I found a more exact model number (K53E-DS31) and this shows a 3.0 port is indeed included: Asus K53E-DS31 laptops specifications
    Amazon also confirms this. Now the question is which of the three ports of yours is the 3.0 port. Did you try reading the text on top of the ports? Sometimes they say what they are; on my laptop, for example, the USB charging port has an electric bolt by it.
    06-18-16 01:22 PM
    Oh, sorry. I missed that in your post. Yes--that's a good card. UHS-1/class 10.
    Cool.

I think even with USB2.0 it's better to use your laptop over your phone. 2.0's theoretical max is 480 mbps and I doubt a phone's tops that.
    How about the SD Card port? Any idea what the speed would be on that? As fast as the 3.0 USB? The 2.0 USB? Asus K53E-DS31 laptops specifications

The card I will buy will have an adapter, so I assume I can simply plug that into my computer, but if the speed will be very slow I won't bother.

Amazon also confirms this. Now the question is which of the three ports of yours is the 3.0 port. Did you try reading the text on top of the ports? Sometimes they say what they are; on my laptop, for example, the USB charging port has an electric bolt by it.
    My USB on the left is the 3.0 (I think.) It has the blue indicator and it the only USB lug on my computer that is compatible with a male, blue USB plug/cord that I have for my external hard drive. Still, no sign of anything 3.0 in device manager, so maybe I am not getting 3.0 speeds? Anyway, this is what Device manager looks like:

Need Help With Classic and MicroSD-usb.jpg
    06-18-16 01:39 PM
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/usb...at-superspeed/

See if you can get the latest USB driver from the ASUS site, if need be.
    06-18-16 01:54 PM
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/usb...at-superspeed/

See if you can get the latest USB driver from the ASUS site, if need be.
    Thanks!

I got the 3.0 drivers from here. https://www.asus.com/support/Downloa...hiSAQYMnvO/30/ They installed fine!
    06-18-16 02:03 PM
    How about the SD Card port? Any idea what the speed would be on that? As fast as the 3.0 USB? The 2.0 USB? Asus K53E-DS31 laptops specifications
    Hmm. Good question. I don't think I have ever seen the SD reader slot's speeds advertised. Based on this information (albeit dated,) I'm going to take a guess and say they'll be at best as good as USB2.0

I should probably know, I have transferred data to/from SD cards both ways (from the SD slot and using a USB reader) many times, but never really paid attention to speeds
    06-18-16 02:04 PM
    Hmm. Good question. I don't think I have ever seen the SD reader slot's speeds advertised. Based on this information (albeit dated,) I'm going to take a guess and say they'll be at best as good as USB2.0

I should probably know, I have transferred data to/from SD cards both ways (from the SD slot and using a USB reader) many times, but never really paid attention to speeds
    Thanks! So, I assume it's fast enough so that you didn't notice you were waiting long when transferring files? Did you do files totalling as much as say 10GB at a time, or more?
    06-18-16 02:06 PM
    Just to also inform you that the Classic can also take a 200gb microsd card. I have a SanDisk and performs well with my Classic. Amazon will sometimes lower the price to $60 which is what I paid for at the time. Either way the Classic can handle more memory expansion.
    Need Help With Classic and MicroSD-img_20160618_141427.png

Posted via CB10
    Baritone Astoria likes this.
    06-18-16 02:17 PM
    Thanks! So, I assume it's fast enough so that you didn't notice you were waiting long when transferring files? Did you do files totalling as much as say 10GB at a time, or more?
    Single files that were 10GB I haven't transferred, but multiple files totaling 10GB I have. And this may be a tainted opinion now, but I recall the USB reader being faster. This is the one I have; came with a Kingston card back in the day.

In any event, I would always be multi-tasking and rarely looking at speeds closely enough to remember. I would recommend that if you really have 128GB worth of files to transfer, do it overnight while you sleep.
    06-18-16 02:19 PM
    Single files that were 10GB I haven't transferred, but multiple files totaling 10GB I have. And this may be a tainted opinion now, but I recall the USB reader being faster. This is the one I have; came with a Kingston card back in the day.
    Ok, so it might be worth investing the small amount to get a USB reader.

In any event, I would always be multi-tasking and rarely looking at speeds closely enough to remember. I would recommend that if you really have 128GB worth of files to transfer, do it overnight while you sleep.
    Oh sure, it's just that transferring files to the SD while it is in the phone is soooo slow, even for a few hundred MB.
    06-18-16 05:27 PM
    So I installed my new microSD last night, transferred all of the files stored on my device (it was almost full, only about 1GB free) to the SD, restarted the phone and I swear - EVERY function on my phone works faster! I guess freeing up that space on my internal memory affects performance? Had I know that, I would have done this sooner!

Posted via CB10
    dollface likes this.
    06-21-16 06:42 AM
    So I installed my new microSD last night, transferred all of the files stored on my device (it was almost full, only about 1GB free) to the SD, restarted the phone and I swear - EVERY function on my phone works faster! I guess freeing up that space on my internal memory affects performance? Had I know that, I would have done this sooner!

Posted via CB10
    yay, good for you. some apps even run if stored on the card. I don't keep anything on my phone
    06-21-16 08:19 AM