First of, I am coming from using a passport for the last few months that I bought on launch day and before that was a z30 and a z10 I bought on the launch day last year when I decided to come back to Blackberry after being on IOS for a few years, so here goes:

I was at a friends house on New Years eve who just bought the Classic a few days earlier and was complaining that the screen was too small to view his spreadsheets for his project management data. He came back to BlackBerry from a iPhone 6+ and hated IOS 8 and was tired of the stale OS after using the platform the past couple of years.

I proceeded to show him my passport which he also had looked online at, but could never get one in his hands to play with because no carrier has the device here in the USA. After I showed him my passport and let him play with it for an hour or so, he handed me his classic and asked if I could let him use the passport for a day or so to see if he liked it or not. So, I said ok and after using the Classic for the past couple of days, heres my take on the device:

Build Quality: The Classic has a nice heavy feel and it feels solid in my hand and being a business person myself, into todays market, its all about being value added. The steel bezel, textured back solid keyboard makes this a nice device a good buy for the money. I know there are folks out there who will say it doesn't have the latest and greatest specs to justify the price, but for a corporate client who is looking to replace their legacy devices, I bet with a corporate discount, this device is priced just right.

UI: Coming from the passport, I was already spoiled with the big screen and the fast processor and so on, but I found the classic to be plenty fast enough for my emails, messaging and the apps I use, both native and from the Amazon store run just fine. Remember folks that this device was NOT targeted for the consumer looking for a Ferrari or Porsche, it was targeted for the corporate client who is replacing their existing devices and in my opinion, the classic hits the mark. I like the new features of 10.3.1 and there are a couple of software glitches such as my device monitor for the battery is not working properly, but should be an easy fix in a future update. Everything else such as the Hub, calendar, and notifications are working just fine for me.

Keyboard: I was concerned coming from the larger keyboard on the passport that I was going to have an issue with the smaller keys on the Classic, but I found just the opposite, I have big hands and found the keyboard to be just fine and compared to the tiny keys on the Q10, this was a big improvement and I found my self adapting quite nicely. Anyone coming from a bold will love the keyboard and thats what the enterprise folks are looking for.

Toolbelt: I have read both good and bad experiences with the new toolbelt, for me I found that I didn't know how much I missed the toolbelt after being off my old bold for so long. I really like having the buttons to answer and end my calls instead of using the touchscreen like on my passport. I also liked the trackpad for editing and selecting text. You don't know how you miss something until you come back to it after being gone a while.

Forum factor: I think this device has the perfect forum factor, its great for one handed use and fits in my pocket very nicely, I even ordered a OEM leather pouch for the device. Coming from the passport, it took some time to get use to loosing the extra screen real estate, but I found the screen on the Classic to be just fine for my emails, messaging and the little web surfing I do. Also all of the apps I use, both native and from the Amazon store display perfectly on the screen.

Finals thoughts: I know this is a short review of my couple of days with the Classic. But, last night my friend called and asked if I would be interested in trading my passport for the Classic because he loved the device would give me a few dollars difference to help offset my cost. I found it very funny that I did not have to even think about it and said yes, I would do the deal.

I found that I have got used to the smaller device and it has taken me back to a time when I really loved my BlackBerry for being a simple and straight forward device that supplied me with my emails, messages and now my social media and does the job quite well if I do say so myself.

Sent from my lovely Classic on T-Mobile USA.
    01-02-15 03:25 PM
    Great review comparing the two devices! I have had the same phones recently and the Passport since launch and just got the Classic on Wednesday. I'm pretty much feeling the same way. I've got the regular Amazon return period to make up my final decision but am so far leaning towards the convenient form factor and one-hand friendly Classic. I am not a fan of the camera but I think that may be a price to pay to have a more efficient and pocket sized device. Really love having a device that fits well in a holster again too.
    01-02-15 03:32 PM
    Nice review. I'd love to try it. I'm still waiting for the local carrier store to get it in.

Zoom Zoom Z30
    01-02-15 03:34 PM
    now, if they would built he next passport with the toolbelt on it, it would be perfect for a working phone..Anyway for certain person, it would still be too big to carry around.
    01-02-15 03:34 PM
    Thanks for the review. Great the trade worked out for you. Im still deciding.
    bakron1 likes this.
    01-02-15 03:35 PM
    First of, I am coming from using a passport for the last few months that I bought on launch day and before that was a z30 and a z10 I bought on the launch day last year when I decided to come back to Blackberry after being on IOS for a few years, so here goes:

I was at a friends house on New Years eve who just bought the Classic a few days earlier and was complaining that the screen was too small to view his spreadsheets for his project management data. He came back to BlackBerry from a iPhone 6+ and hated IOS 8 and was tired of the stale OS after using the platform the past couple of years.

I proceeded to show him my passport which he also had looked online at, but could never get one in his hands to play with because no carrier has the device here in the USA. After I showed him my passport and let him play with it for an hour or so, he handed me his classic and asked if I could let him use the passport for a day or so to see if he liked it or not. So, I said ok and after using the Classic for the past couple of days, heres my take on the device:

Build Quality: The Classic has a nice heavy feel and it feels solid in my hand and being a business person myself, into todays market, its all about being value added. The steel bezel, textured back solid keyboard makes this a nice device a good buy for the money. I know there are folks out there who will say it doesn't have the latest and greatest specs to justify the price, but for a corporate client who is looking to replace their legacy devices, I bet with a corporate discount, this device is priced just right.

UI: Coming from the passport, I was already spoiled with the big screen and the fast processor and so on, but I found the classic to be plenty fast enough for my emails, messaging and the apps I use, both native and from the Amazon store run just fine. Remember folks that this device was NOT targeted for the consumer looking for a Ferrari or Porsche, it was targeted for the corporate client who is replacing their existing devices and in my opinion, the classic hits the mark. I like the new features of 10.3.1 and there are a couple of software glitches such as my device monitor for the battery is not working properly, but should be an easy fix in a future update. Everything else such as the Hub, calendar, and notifications are working just fine for me.

Keyboard: I was concerned coming from the larger keyboard on the passport that I was going to have an issue with the smaller keys on the Classic, but I found just the opposite, I have big hands and found the keyboard to be just fine and compared to the tiny keys on the Q10, this was a big improvement and I found my self adapting quite nicely. Anyone coming from a bold will love the keyboard and thats what the enterprise folks are looking for.

Toolbelt: I have read both good and bad experiences with the new toolbelt, for me I found that I didn't know how much I missed the toolbelt after being off my old bold for so long. I really like having the buttons to answer and end my calls instead of using the touchscreen like on my passport. I also liked the trackpad for editing and selecting text. You don't know how you miss something until you come back to it after being gone a while.

Forum factor: I think this device has the perfect forum factor, its great for one handed use and fits in my pocket very nicely, I even ordered a OEM leather pouch for the device. Coming from the passport, it took some time to get use to loosing the extra screen real estate, but I found the screen on the Classic to be just fine for my emails, messaging and the little web surfing I do. Also all of the apps I use, both native and from the Amazon store display perfectly on the screen.

Finals thoughts: I know this is a short review of my couple of days with the Classic. But, last night my friend called and asked if I would be interested in trading my passport for the Classic because he loved the device would give me a few dollars difference to help offset my cost. I found it very funny that I did not have to even think about it and said yes, I would do the deal.

I found that I have got used to the smaller device and it has taken me back to a time when I really loved my BlackBerry for being a simple and straight toward device that supplied me with my emails, messages and now my social media and does the job quite well if I do say so myself.

Sent from my lovely Classic on T-Mobile USA.
    I'm also getting use to the Classic, I like most of the changes from OS7/9900 and it is a great hardware upgrade. I wish it had more RAM 2gb is almost marginal for me and I don't do gaming. I have limited my apps to keep running apps drawing my RAM down. Right now I only have 1gb of useable RAM. I would guess that if it was loaded up there would be only 800mb useable.

I still use my 9900 when I'm in bed because the balance and typing on a ergonomic kb is faster for me.
    01-02-15 03:38 PM
    Couldn't have said it better OP. I had limited access to the Passport so I can't do a direct comparison to that but for the last 2 yrs I've had the Z10 and I had some worries about the change.

Outside of muscles in the hand getting used to pressing keys a little harder compared to the touch screen the change has been seamless.

The trackpad is really well integrated with the BB10 OS. After just a few days on the Classic I'm right where I left off in typing speed.

There are a few trade offs with camera and picture quality and viewing media like YouTube but I'm not that much of a media consumer on my smartphone so I'm ok with that.

All I know is from what I've heard from both Classic and Passport owners, BlackBerry has hit two home runs with these devices.

As many have mentioned, these new devices feel like you're coming home.

Posted via CB10 on the FrankUnderwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    01-02-15 04:00 PM
    @bakron1 were'nt you the guy who started acting as a 'BB sales rep in the US', as you were so enthusiastic about your Passport? And you bought several PP's for friends and biz partners (and for yourself), if I remember correctly?
    What are you going to tell all these people now?
    I'm just curious, as I also came from the PP, and started talking friends into buying a PP, but now I'm a happy Classic user too.
    (liked the PP, but couldn't handle its size in stressful situations, and prefer the 'classic KB of the Classic').
    Mr4aces and nglfmark like this.
    01-02-15 04:15 PM
    Hehehehe! This is exactly what I'm expecting when I have my Classic in my hands. I'm loving the Passport, but that good old 9900 love never died. And I think I'll fall deep in love again.

Thanks for the review. Did you give your friend the all black one? I recall that you ordered that one, or am I wrong?

Posted from my Square Monstrosity!
    01-02-15 04:28 PM
    I still like my Z30 but get tempted with Passport for so many times.
    01-02-15 04:43 PM
    That was a great review. Been waiting for you to do one. Your posts are always some of the best on this forum. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 likes this.
    01-02-15 04:54 PM
    That was a great review. Been waiting for you to do one. Your posts are always some of the best on this forum. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Posted via CB10
    Can't agree more! I enjoy OP's posts here on CB as well!

bakron1 likes this.
    01-02-15 05:00 PM
    Hehehehe! This is exactly what I'm expecting when I have my Classic in my hands. I'm loving the Passport, but that good old 9900 love never died. And I think I'll fall deep in love again.

Thanks for the review. Did you give your friend the all black one? I recall that you ordered that one, or am I wrong?

Yes, it was a standard black model and like new condition.

Sent from my lovely Classic on T Mobile USA
    01-02-15 05:05 PM
    I'm also getting use to the Classic, I like most of the changes from OS7/9900 and it is a great hardware upgrade. I wish it had more RAM 2gb is almost marginal for me and I don't do gaming. I have limited my apps to keep running apps drawing my RAM down. Right now I only have 1gb of useable RAM. I would guess that if it was loaded up there would be only 800mb useable.

I still use my 9900 when I'm in bed because the balance and typing on a ergonomic kb is faster for me.
    I could see where the 2 gigs of ram would be an issue for gamers, but I use mine for mainly emails, messaging and social media. I rarely even use the camera except for an occasional picture for my social media. So far the device has been very smooth and I couldn't be happier.

FrankUnderwood likes this.
    01-02-15 05:09 PM
    Thank you! I too, have the Passport but can't wait to get my hands on the Classic. I'm trying to hold out until they release the colors but not sure if I'll make it. How long did it take to adjust to the smaller screen coming from the PP?

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 05:12 PM
    Wow, the Classic must be something else if it pulled you away from that Passport!

For the last 3 months every other post from you has been "My PP is just too awesome, I almost can't handle it."

If I wasn't tempted before I sure am now.

From a Z30
    01-02-15 05:34 PM
    Great Review! I don't have the Classic or Passport, but they both look like great devices to own. I have a Q10, and always wondered if the keyboard on the Q10 is the same on the Classic?

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 05:36 PM
    Great review! Now I'm really interested to try out a Classic!

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 05:46 PM
    Nice, short and concise, total opposite to my long-winded and overly long review. :-)

Sometimes it helps to just "get to the point."

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    01-02-15 06:02 PM
    Nice, short and concise, total opposite to my long-winded and overly long review. :-)

You gave an in depth, detailed review which has been immensely helpful to many, including myself.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 06:06 PM
    You gave an in depth, detailed review which has been immensely helpful to many, including myself.

Posted via CB10
    But I'm sure a talented editor could probably cut my review in half without losing much content, lol.

eldrover and white shirt only like this.
    01-02-15 06:15 PM

I have always been right to the point, but I always enjoy reading other folks perspective on new devices. I enjoy writing and always try to approach it from a users perspective and not someone who picks up the device for an hour and then writes a biased review for some national rag.

clickitykeys likes this.
    01-02-15 06:22 PM
    I made the decision to purchase a passport after being an android user for awhile. I can't fathom after having spent $700 on a device outright to trade to another phone so quickly. This will be my device for a few years. We'll see what Blackberry has out then.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 06:24 PM
    @bakron1 were'nt you the guy who started acting as a 'BB sales rep in the US', as you were so enthusiastic about your Passport? And you bought several PP's for friends and biz partners (and for yourself), if I remember correctly?
    What are you going to tell all these people now?
    I'm just curious, as I also came from the PP, and started talking friends into buying a PP, but now I'm a happy Classic user too.
    (liked the PP, but couldn't handle its size in stressful situations, and prefer the 'classic KB of the Classic').
    Lol, I knew someone would remember that, I am still very passionate about the passport and BlackBerry as a whole. I just decided the classic took me back to a time when my trusty BlackBerry traveled with me around the world and never let me down.

I still would love to be an ambassador for the brand here in the USA. I enjoy writing post for the great passionate folks on this forum and will continue to contribute as long as they put up with me.

Tabdus likes this.
    01-02-15 06:29 PM
    I feel exactly the same way about the Classic. It's definitely stirred memories of my 8300 series, which was probably my favorite phone ever.
    Simple phone that eschewed all the bells & whistles for best in class productivity and dependability. Never let me down!!
    01-02-15 08:03 PM
60 123