Hi there everyone

This is my first time posting on the Crackberry Forums and my first time as a proper BB user, after having converted from the iPhone 5S, so please do tell me if I am posting in the wrong forum and I will immediately move the thread to where it's supposed to belong to.

Shortened version of my experience:

• Had enough of using iPhone
    • Love/hate relationship with the Q10
    • Defects of the Q10 too much for me - sold it off
    • Sold off iPhone to buy BB Classic
    • Found BB Classic defects
    • Currently in talks about returning the second replacement

Anyways, just a little history about me. So... where to begin? Well... My iPhone 4S contract had just finished, I decided to keep on staying with the flock and continued with the iOS platform, purchasing an iPhone 5S. A few months in, something inside me wanted to get away from the status quo of everyone having iPhones. I looked at EVERYTHING, including: the new Samsung, LG, Sony and even Windows phones, but what never occurred to me was Blackberry. Then, there in the corner of the shop with a black, classy display showing Blackberry 10, there it was the Q10. I HAD to try it out and I fell in love with the keyboard, despite the fact that this was my first time in a very long time using a physical keyboard.

So, what did I do then? I bought one, a brand spanking new BB to compliment my iPhone. I found myself ditching the iPhone in favour of the Q10, for the PKB. Having not been familiar with BB in the past, I wasn't aware of the possible defects that it could have and that everything I was experiencing was normal. This was not the case. Spanning a few weeks, E-mails after E-mails, and replacement after replacement, there was at least one thing bothering me with the new device, whether it'd be a non-tactile feeling space or display problems. This made the Q10 unbearable and this lead to very low mileage of the phone. I couldn't take it and returned the phone and received a full refund. Back to the monotone iPhone it was...

.... Fast forward to the present day. The Blackberry Classic has been released for a few months now. I was interested again. It had the form factor and the "classic" BB experience. This time, I was dedicated to BB. I sold off my iPhone 5s, and purchased the Blackberry Classic, ignoring its relatively low specs compared to the Passport, with the hopes that John Chen, the very aimable CEO, in my opinion, would have sorted out QC problems with upcoming devices. Like the Q10, I absolutely fell in love, even more so with the classic as it has the "tool belt". But like the Q10 again, mine had defects...

BB Classic No. 1 (Received last week) :- Space bar issues - as I ran my thumb along the space bar, I could hear a crackling and creaking noise. I couldn't bear it. I NEED a perfect fault-free keyboard. So I returned it....

BB Classic No. 2 (Received today) :- Space bar was perfect this time.

1. Trackpad issue - trackpad works perfectly fine when scrolling up and down, but left and right, that's a whole different story. It becomes unresponsive at times and refuses to scroll left and right

2. The letter "U" has the same crackling noise as the space bar on the returned device

3. SIM tray can not slide in and click perfectly without having to remove the memory card tray first, otherwise the SIM tray protrudes out of the device

4. Squeaky "end call" button when exiting apps and ending calls

?5? I may be paranoid after having experienced the issues stated above, but the sleep/wake button on the top feels a little more depressed compared to my first BB Classic. However, it still has the tactile click when pressing it.

I am currently in talks about returning the phone and will post here if there are new updates.

Sorry for the long-winded post everyone, but I just wanted to share my story and my experiences with the rare breed that are the BB users. If you got through all of this, thank you for your time.

Have a wonderful day

Kindest regards

Donald
    Last edited by dtsang97; 05-28-15 at 02:48 PM.
    05-27-15 10:22 AM
    I am not a picky person so I never thought about those Issues but I really don't have problem with my classic. I do agree built quality for classic is not as good as passport though.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 11:49 AM
    Until now I have no one off the issues you mentioned!!

Posted via my awesome Classic
    05-27-15 12:01 PM
    See my friend,

When you compare a device have many keys its not same when you campare it with full screen , because its all screen you can not find any thing.

I used till now 6 classic , i didnt face any of those problems, but what i was facing is the screen light color, 4 of them was too much yellow (warm) screen color , it's unbelievable.

because i love blackberry and its my only device you know what i did ?
    I went to the shop , bought a classic , switch it on and find the screen bad , direct i sell it and bought another one till i find a good screen.
    05-27-15 12:31 PM
    Never had a problem with mine
    05-27-15 12:54 PM
    Find these issues too trivial!!! I never noticed these problems as if it would upset me. To each their own anyway, good luck to you!!!

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    05-27-15 01:14 PM
    Moving parts such as the keys on your keypad are prone to make some small cranking noise. But I never experienced any noises that would make me send back my Classic. Either you were very unlucky or you might have an OCD issue. :-)

Anyhow, the BlackBerry OS is still, imo, the best there is out there.

 Instant Classic!
    Last edited by BlckBrry46; 05-27-15 at 03:10 PM.
    andy957 likes this.
    05-27-15 02:01 PM
    I agree that the letters and the space bar sound different. I didn't notice it til after reading this.
    The trackpad is not as good as the BB9900, but I think it's because it's smaller.
    My recommendation, take it back until u get one u r satisfied with.
    A lot of people love their classic, so there's something good about this phone. So keep trying until u get yours!
    05-27-15 03:16 PM
    I'm still a 10Q user and have had no problem other than (somewhat recently) the double typing issue expressed on a number of threads. No creaking or cracking sounds. I'm considering a move to the Classic and will have my eye on the trackpad issues you mentioned. Thanks for the report.
    05-27-15 04:17 PM
    It didn't notice until you said that. But it's not a big deal don't be too picky. It's a pkb it's normal. Don't compare a pkb to a full screen.

Enjoy the BlackBerry classic

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 04:45 PM
    Don't the keyboards have to break in a bit?
    05-27-15 05:14 PM
    For the trackpad, did you try: language and input -> trackpad -> horizontal/vertical

Posted via CB10
    donemt likes this.
    05-27-15 06:50 PM
    Thanks everyone for your replies! Just to update you, I have returned my second Blackberry Classic and looking to purchase another one soon.

Moving parts such as the keys on your keypad are prone to make some small cranking noise. But I never experienced any noises that would make me send back my Classic. Either you were very unlucky or you might have an OCD issue. :-)

Anyhow, the BlackBerry OS is still, imo, the best there is out there.

 Instant Classic!
    I think I just happen to have an OCD issue, haha, and I wholeheartedly agree that BBOS is excellent!
    05-28-15 11:01 AM
    For the trackpad, did you try: language and input -> trackpad -> horizontal/vertical

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the suggestion GraCal, I have tried adjusting the trackpad settings after discovering the issue, but it still didn't seem to help.
    05-28-15 11:02 AM
    I agree that the letters and the space bar sound different. I didn't notice it til after reading this.
    The trackpad is not as good as the BB9900, but I think it's because it's smaller.
    My recommendation, take it back until u get one u r satisfied with.
    A lot of people love their classic, so there's something good about this phone. So keep trying until u get yours!
    Thank you for your reply cazato. I have returned the phone and will keep searching for a suitable BB Classic for me. It's an AMAZING phone!
    05-28-15 11:04 AM
    Thanks Jimmy Zamalot and Mausje75 for your replies! It's great to hear there is still hope in finding a near perfect BB Classic.
    05-28-15 11:07 AM
    See my friend,

When you compare a device have many keys its not same when you campare it with full screen , because its all screen you can not find any thing.

I used till now 6 classic , i didnt face any of those problems, but what i was facing is the screen light color, 4 of them was too much yellow (warm) screen color , it's unbelievable.

because i love blackberry and its my only device you know what i did ?
    I went to the shop , bought a classic , switch it on and find the screen bad , direct i sell it and bought another one till i find a good screen.
    Thank you abdulla saif for your reply. When I receive my next Blackberry Classic, I will look for the screen issues that you mentioned.
    05-28-15 11:09 AM
    I'm still a 10Q user and have had no problem other than (somewhat recently) the double typing issue expressed on a number of threads. No creaking or cracking sounds. I'm considering a move to the Classic and will have my eye on the trackpad issues you mentioned. Thanks for the report.

Definitely go for the BB Classic!! I haven't had a lot of experience personally, but I am quite sure that some of the other BB users here can vouch for it.
    05-28-15 11:11 AM
    Aren't the iPhone and Classic both made by Foxconn

Posted via CB10
    donemt likes this.
    05-28-15 11:13 AM
    Hi there filanto, that's what I heard but I can't see why there is quite a difference between the QC of Apple and Blackberry. As others have said, in terms of the BB Classic, it's probably because of the many moving parts in it.
    05-28-15 01:05 PM
    Hi there everyone

This is my first time posting on the Crackberry Forums and my first time as a proper BB user, after having converted from the iPhone 5S, so please do tell me if I am posting in the wrong forum and I will immediately move the thread to where it's supposed to belong to.

Shorted version of my experience:

• Had enough of using iPhone
    • Love/hate relationship with the Q10
    • Defects of the Q10 too much for me - sold it off
    • Sold off iPhone to buy BB Classic
    • Found BB Classic defects
    • Currently in talks about returning the second replacement

Anyways, just a little history about me. So... where to begin? Well... My iPhone 4S contract had just finished, I decided to keep on staying with the flock and continued with the iOS platform, purchasing an iPhone 5S. A few months in, something inside me wanted to get away from the status quo of everyone having iPhones. I looked at EVERYTHING, including: the new Samsung, LG, Sony and even Windows phones, but what never occurred to me was Blackberry. Then, there in the corner of the shop with a black, classy display showing Blackberry 10, there it was the Q10. I HAD to try it out and I fell in love with the keyboard, despite the fact that this was my first time in a very long time using a physical keyboard.

So, what did I do then? I bought one, a brand spanking new BB to compliment my iPhone. I found myself ditching the iPhone in favour of the Q10, for the PKB. Having not been familiar with BB in the past, I wasn't aware of the possible defects that it could have and that everything I was experiencing was normal. This was not the case. Spanning a few weeks, E-mails after E-mails, and replacement after replacement, there was at least one thing bothering me with the new device, whether it'd be a non-tactile feeling space or display problems. This made the Q10 unbearable and this lead to very low mileage of the phone. I couldn't take it and returned the phone and received a full refund. Back to the monotone iPhone it was...

.... Fast forward to the present day. The Blackberry Classic has been released for a few months now. I was interested again. It had the form factor and the "classic" BB experience. This time, I was dedicated to BB. I sold off my iPhone 5s, and purchased the Blackberry Classic, ignoring its relatively low specs compared to the Passport, with the hopes that John Chen, the very aimable CEO, in my opinion, would have sorted out QC problems with upcoming devices. Like the Q10, I absolutely fell in love, even more so with the classic as it has the "tool belt". But like the Q10 again, mine had defects...

BB Classic No. 1 (Received last week) :- Space bar issues - as I ran my thumb along the space bar, I could hear a crackling and creaking noise. I couldn't bear it. I NEED a perfect fault-free keyboard. So I returned it....

BB Classic No. 2 (Received today) :- Space bar was perfect this time.

1. Trackpad issue - trackpad works perfectly fine when scrolling up and down, but left and right, that's a whole different story. It becomes unresponsive at times and refuses to scroll left and right

2. The letter "U" has the same crackling noise as the space bar on the returned device

3. SIM tray can not slide in and click perfectly without having to remove the memory card tray first, otherwise the SIM tray protrudes out of the device

4. Squeaky "end call" button when exiting apps and ending calls

?5? I may be paranoid after having experienced the issues stated above, but the sleep/wake button on the top feels a little more depressed compared to my first BB Classic. However, it still has the tactile click when pressing it.

I am currently in talks about returning the phone and will post here if there are new updates.

Sorry for the long-winded post everyone, but I just wanted to share my story and my experiences with the rare breed that are the BB users. If you got through all of this, thank you for your time.

Have a wonderful day

Kindest regards

Donald
    At some point you have to start questioning the store/provider you are getting your phones from. I have the cheapest bb10, a Q5, never had a single problem with the device itself.
    05-28-15 01:17 PM
    Come to think of it.. my end call button is kind of creaking and squeaky when I ran a finger over the toolbelt. That's the only fault I could find on my Classic. Besides the SD card and sim slot not being aligned properly.

Posted via  Clicky Classic 
    05-28-15 01:26 PM
    Hi there filanto, that's what I heard but I can't see why there is quite a difference between the QC of Apple and Blackberry. As others have said, in terms of the BB Classic, it's probably because of the many moving parts in it.
    Apple iPhones tend to have manufacturing defects too. It's almost inevitable in mass production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    05-28-15 02:30 PM
    Apple iPhones tend to have manufacturing defects too. It's almost inevitable in mass production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes I agree, but from personal experience, it seems to me that iPhones have a lower risk of having any or fewer defects at purchase. However one explanation may be because of the different nature between the two devices. It may also be that I have been unlucky with purchasing Blackberry devices so far. Hopefully, my next BB Classic will be faultless.
    05-28-15 02:40 PM
    At some point you have to start questioning the store/provider you are getting your phones from. I have the cheapest bb10, a Q5, never had a single problem with the device itself.
    Haha, I probably will have to. So far, I have tried purchasing from Carphones Warehouse, Phones4U, Vodafone and O2. To be honest, I am quite picky about my phones, so things that annoy me may be something quite normal to you. It's most likely that my OCD kicks in when purchasing new things.
    05-28-15 02:45 PM
63 123