I've owned the BlackBerry Classic for a little over two weeks now and it has been practically glued to my hands, so with that being said I thought it was time to write up a review for it. Here it goes...

Overall feel:
    The first thing I noticed when picking up the BlackBerry Classic for the first time is how nice it feels in the hand. It’s not too heavy, but not light enough that you feel like you’re going to drop it all the time. It’s almost a perfect balance in my opinion.

Design:
    I really like the design of the phone, with its silver frets and the stainless steel band around the phone. In my opinion, it looks better than the BlackBerry Q10 and has a more “premium” look and feel. I also like the textured back of the device, which feels really nice. This is actually the first phone that I haven’t felt the need to put a case or screen protector on because of its great design and how well it feels.

Display:
    If I had to sum it up in a few words, the display is brilliant. One of the brightest screens I’ve seen on a phone, and it’s very clear. Accurate color reproduction, and no noticeable color shift like with the AMOLED panels used on the Q10 and the Z30. The pixel density is ever so slightly lower than the Q10 due to it being a larger display, but because it is an IPS LCD display I find that it actually looks better when compared to the Q10.

Keyboard:
    The keyboard is excellent, as what you’d expect from a BlackBerry device. It's not too stiff but not too soft, it's just right.

Tool belt:
    The addition of the tool belt is what makes the Classic, well, classic. Having used a Q10 in the past, I didn’t think I’d use the tool belt all that often but I’ve been proven wrong. It is very convenient to have the trackpad for scrolling, and highlighting text and multiple messages (while holding down the Shift key) is a breeze.

Sound:
    In terms of call quality, the earpiece is loud and clear with no noticeable distortion. The built-in speaker sounds pretty good for phone calls and music, it’s not at the level of the Z30 but its on-par with the Q10 in my opinion. Definitely better than the Z10’s.
    Battery life: I’m able to average about two days of battery life out of the phone with moderate usage, a day and a half if I really push it hard. No complaints there.

Software:
    BlackBerry 10.3.1 brings a much needed (in my opinion) visual overhaul to BlackBerry 10. The new color scheme is visually appealing, the lack of boxes behind icons on the home screen goes a long way to making things feel cleaned up, and all of the productive features we’ve come to love are still there. The BlackBerry Hub is amazing for managing all of your communications in one place, and is much more efficient than the traditional method of jumping in and out of apps to juggle different types of messages. It’s great. No complaints about the software, and I haven’t had any issues with the phone freezing or apps misbehaving.

Accessories:
    When I purchased the phone I picked up a Leather Swivel Holster and a Soft Shell case. I use the holster quite a bit, although I’ve only used the case a couple of times. As I stated before, I just prefer the feel of the phone without a case, although I do have it in case I need it.

So that’s pretty much it. I love my Classic, I’d have to say that it’s one of the best phones that I’ve owned and it’s honestly the first phone that I’ve owned that I have been completely satisfied with and haven’t found something that I didn’t like about it.

BONUS: A few tips and tricks:

• Learn the keyboard shortcuts for BlackBerry 10 and some of the Classic specific shortcuts -- http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2015/...ard-shortcuts/
    • Instead of scrolling all the way to the bottom of the BlackBerry Hub to highlight the action buttons, press B on the keyboard to reach the bottom of the Hub and then use the trackpad to highlight the desired action. Much more efficient.
    • Manage your active frames with the tool belt, it’s quick an efficient. Press the End button to minimize an app, and then press the Back key if you want to close it entirely.
    • You can unlock your phone by pressing U followed by Enter, even if the screen is off.
    • You can use the trackpad to tap and hold on links in the browser, which will display the menu – this is great for opening up pages in new tabs. Just hover over a link with the cursor in the browser, then press and hold the trackpad button. It’ll select the link and the menu will appear.
    • When performing a swipe gesture from the bottom of the screen, swipe from where the menu key (BlackBerry icon) or back key are instead of where the trackpad is. You’ll have greater success in triggering the gesture from there, whereas from the centre may move the cursor with the trackpad.
    • Set up word substitution (also known as auto text)! Seriously, it makes writing out emails and text messages with commonly used phrases a lot quicker. To do this, head over to Settings > Language and Input > Prediction and Correction > Word Substitution. For example, if you add the shortcut for “omw” for “I’m on my way”, every time you type “omw” followed by space on your phone, it will be automatically expanded to say “I’m on my way”. It’s a great feature (not Classic specific either, this can be set up on any BlackBerry 10 device).

Thanks for reading my review, if you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try my best to follow up.
    Last edited by Zeridialous; 04-06-15 at 02:05 PM.
    rayporsche, koolaje, phuoc and 6 others like this.
    03-29-15 08:53 AM
    Awesome man, loving the Classic overall as well. If it had better specs it would be the perfect phone in my opinion. But still love it for its use-ability. Love the tips, I would add that while in the browser, pressing g brought you to a recent history screen where you can immediately start typing a new url or pick from your history. Pressing u will automatically bring up the url bar so you can start typing a new url from within any website, w will bring up the left side menu to change tabs or close tabs, etc. If you're in a text entry field and you want the actual cursor, you can press the back key (just once!) and it'll exit the text entry and give you your cursor without bringing you back a page or anything.

These are things I use all of the time in the browser. Hope it helps. Enjoy the phone.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    idssteve and themightyshark like this.
    03-29-15 09:08 AM
    Great write up! Thank you for it and enjoy ur Classic. I have had mine for over a month and owned the Z10 and Q10 prior to this. And I pretty much agree with ur points. We have a Samsung S5 and just purchased the LG G3 for my daughter. So I am able to play around with other devices and the Classic is a much better fit for my work and personal needs.

Posted via Classic
    03-29-15 09:12 AM
    How does the speed compare to the Z30 and or Z10? Trying to decide what to replace Z10 with ( found Z30 too big, but thought track pad on classic might make up for that)

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 09:13 AM
    How does the speed compare to the Z30 and or Z10? Trying to decide what to replace Z10 with ( found Z30 too big, but thought track pad on classic might make up for that)

Posted via CB10
    I actually haven't noticed much of a difference in performance between the Z30 and the Classic to be honest. Web pages (even desktop pages) seem to render at about the same speed and I'm able to multitask at the same pace. The only area I think the Z30 beats out the Classic in this regard might be in games because of the difference in GPU, but I don't play games on my phone so at least for me it's moot point. I find the Classic easier to hold compared to the Z30, even though they are almost the same size (the Z30 is a hair taller).
    03-29-15 09:50 AM
    I would add that while in the browser, pressing g brought you to a recent history screen where you can immediately start typing a new url or pick from your history.

If you're in a text entry field and you want the actual cursor, you can press the back key (just once!) and it'll exit the text entry and give you your cursor without bringing you back a page or anything.
    Is the G shortcut in the browser documented anywhere? I was wondering how one would pull up the new tab page with the keyboard, that's pretty cool. And I had no idea about the back key trick for the cursor either. You learn something every day! Thanks for the tips.
    03-29-15 09:53 AM
    Cool breakdown 'Zeridialous' and thank you....I've been a long time Berry user and the last addition is a Classic, totally agree with you about the housing's stainless steel band and such, I owned a Q10 which I loved and the first thing I did was change the housing. One of my all time favorites is the Bold 9900 with its fantastic form factor, built and keyboard, even my Z10 form factor is just perfect for one hand use in a rush so needless to say I was a little bit apprehensive about the Classic bigger dimensions and to my surprise it turned out to be a perfect 'one hand use' device too imo. I've been using the keyboard and toolbelt almost exclusively avoiding the touch inputs as much as possible and it's just great, never really liked the constant wiping down of a screen filled with finger marks. Hardware seems to be very appropriate, whenever in doubt as to the specs meeting the requirements I just grab my 9000 for a day and it all comes clear pretty fast. About software, currently running the 10.3.2.281 and everything is working just fine, running all the banking apps (android based) among others flawlessly. Again as much as I love the 9900 even after considerings the possible drawbacks, at the end imo the Classic is just a solid built device with the correct 'feel' to it which is filling all of my daily business & communications needs and becoming the 'daily driver' quick, fast and in a hurry..........all in a beautiful package. The more you use it the better and easier everything gets,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/fm5gs5.jpg[/IMG
    03-29-15 10:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    I jumped from the Z10 to the Classic and a few of the issues I've had to deal with is:
    1) screen size - it's a smaller screen. You have to scroll more often but the screen is wider. It took me a few days to adjust. Now, I like the screen. It also doesn't rotate when you flip the phone. So, no need to lock it.
    2) keyboard shortcuts - I still haven't gotten them memorized. I'm thinking about writing them down and have it my pocket for reference. Is that considered using reverse technology?
    3) keyboard - this is kind of weird but there are times when I forget to physically press the key down. I was so used to the virtual keyboard that I just don't press the key. Weird but true. To be clear, it's a great keyboard. I just found it an odd adjustment that I didn't expect when I decided to switch.

I hope this helps with your decision.

The Classic
    03-29-15 10:41 AM
    I jumped from the Z10 to the Classic and a few of the issues I've had to deal with is:
    1) screen size - it's a smaller screen. You have to scroll more often but the screen is wider. It took me a few days to adjust. Now, I like the screen. It also doesn't rotate when you flip the phone. So, no need to lock it.
    2) keyboard shortcuts - I still haven't gotten them memorized. I'm thinking about writing them down and have it my pocket for reference. Is that considered using reverse technology?
    3) keyboard - this is kind of weird but there are times when I forget to physically press the key down. I was so used to the virtual keyboard that I just don't press the key. Weird but true. To be clear, it's a great keyboard. I just found it an odd adjustment that I didn't expect when I decided to switch.

I hope this helps with your decision.

The Classic
    No lie... I've spent about a week now off and on forgetting to actually "press" the buttons. Lol i$ getting there.

#blackberryclassic
    03-29-15 12:02 PM
    Nice review!.
    And a small tip, press the space bar once to scroll down exactly next page.

Posted via BlackBerry!.
    03-29-15 01:46 PM
    I agree with you on everything but I cannot stand the calendar. It is *almost* enough to send me back to my legacy BB. I pray they do something where we can swap it out for a better system like the old one they never should have messed with in the first place.
    03-29-15 02:56 PM
    I agree with you on everything but I cannot stand the calendar. It is *almost* enough to send me back to my legacy BB. I pray they do something where we can swap it out for a better system like the old one they never should have messed with in the first place.
    Isn't that just software related? Has nothing to do with the Classic.

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    03-29-15 02:57 PM
    Nice review. While I sometimes wish I had a larger screen for certain situations, I always come back to my Classic. It is the best modern communication device I have found.

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    03-29-15 02:58 PM
    It would appear that improvements to the calendar are on their way in 10.3.2.
    03-29-15 03:46 PM
    I've added the link to the definitive list of keyboard shortcuts for the BlackBerry Classic in the original post for those of you who want to learn them.
    03-29-15 05:59 PM
    Loving the Classic awesome Phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 06:12 PM
    Lots of great information from many of you...thanks. I think the classic may just be the answer for me.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 09:08 AM
    Congratulations!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 09:14 AM
    While in the Hub, Alt+u will mark the current/selected message as read.
    Xenolock likes this.
    03-30-15 12:48 PM
    Great review and thread, thanks.
    03-30-15 01:57 PM
    Great review. I have mine about a week now. And i'm loving it!!!

I ask myself often.. " why didn't i use BlackBerry before?" This is truely the best Phone i have ever owned!

I'm learning the shortcuts overtime.

Greetzzz,

Maurice.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 04:15 PM
    Great review!

Thanks for sharing, the classic is a great phone
    03-30-15 06:09 PM
    Thank you everyone, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I haven't written a review in a little while, so I was hoping it this wouldn't totally flop.
    04-01-15 09:13 PM