tl;dr want new phone, small budget, q10 or wait for classic.

Dear CB users, I'm looking for some advice and would greatly appreciate your input.

I am currently owning an iPhone 4 and the battery duration and speed of the phone is so terribly slow that I desire a new phone every second I touch it. I've owned a BB9700 before and I strongly want to go back to my Blackberry days.
    I've spent some weeks now on here closely following the Classic, and now that the release date and price are out I have to make a decision.

I wanted to buy a Q10, but laid off since the classic was coming and it looks to be an incredible phone, however there are 2 points that are a big turn off for me.

• Release date
    • Price

I'm from Europe, so I'm guessing that the 17 december date will be pushed back even more whereas I need to wait a few months longer.
    I'm also a student without a big budget, and I'm primarily using my phone for messaging (all the fancy apps/games I don't use)
    Now that I can pick a Q10 up here for around USD $240 it is a lot more appealing to me than both waiting a long time for the classic and paying a higher price. (In another thread I saw 429 euro -> $535 USD)
    The things that I still doubt for are the battery use and of course the belt, but coming from an all-touch iPhone I hope that I won't be having too much issues with that.

What I'm asking you guys is advice on going with my feeling right now and get a Q10 for a rather sweet price, or wait it out a bit longer with the possibility of picking up a classic if it really is worth waiting the extra months and money.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Sanderferr; 11-17-14 at 09:43 PM.
    11-17-14 08:55 PM
    If you are ok with the screen size of the Q10 then I would go for that option. The Q10 is a great phone that will fulfill your communication needs. My friend loves his Q10 and I actually have one on order myself that I hope to have in my hands very soon.

The Classic is expensive and you get more bang for your buck with the Q10 at only $240 plus you can get it right away without a frustrating wait. Who knows how long before you will actually be able to bring a Classic home. Make sure you have a warranty on your Q10 just in case you encounter the double typing issue which chances are you won't.

Good luck and post here what you decide!

Here's a pic of the beautiful Q10:

My new phone: Q10 or Classic-img_20141117_223047.png

Posted via CB10
    Sanderferr likes this.
    11-17-14 09:32 PM
    I must confess, I am drawn to new phone models; even if the Classic may be similar spec-wise to the Q10. The Q10 is the best Blackberry I have own and it is my work horse and currently my only phone.
    I have not had any of the problems like double typing or battery issues with mine so I feel very fortunate. I have also dropped this thing more than I care to admit. Not only does it work like it is brand new, but even the scuffs are so hard to notice it always looks in prime condition.
    I would still give the Classic a look, but a proper Q10 successor it is not.
    Sanderferr likes this.
    11-17-14 11:11 PM
    The classic is a q10 with a tool belt. So if u want a toolbelt go for the classic, if u want a cheap phone and don't want the toolbelt go for the q10.
    Sanderferr likes this.
    11-17-14 11:29 PM
    I have a Q10 since it has first released and it has been superb, it is now 18 months old and still looks like a new phone, have the leather case that helps keep it pristine. Was thinking about a classic but when they reduced the Q10 to 200quid here in the uk I ordered a spare one. Only downsides is that the leather case only last about 6 months and occasionally when a put my phone down it reboots otherwise it is still perfect. Also the took into account the cost of the accessories and ordered a couple of new cases and a spare charger and battery, all in was around 230 quid which is a bargain!

Posted via CB10
    snejpa and Sanderferr like this.
    11-18-14 03:14 AM
    Q10!

Posted via CB10
    Sanderferr likes this.
    11-18-14 06:11 AM
    Q10 and 10.3.1, especially with your price range. So far it appears that the Classic will be using Q10 specs, adding a toolbelt, and sealing the battery in. Not an upgrade compared to the Q10 IMHO.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.1151
    Sanderferr likes this.
    11-18-14 06:25 AM
    This is typical. We all want the new phone. I am like this everytime. How many times did I bought the Q10, Z30, etc?

Well, I propose to buy the Q10 ASAP! As you stated, it will be fun to come back to the Blackberry Experience. Play around and fell comfortable with it.

Then, when the Classic comes out, you can sell the Q10 and put some classy 200 bucks on top and buy it like a gentleman. I would wait until february and the price will drop.
    mrfreeze and Sanderferr like this.
    11-18-14 06:27 AM
    Wait for the Classic. The toolbelt makes it more precise and efficient.

Posted via CB10
    Sanderferr likes this.
    11-18-14 08:00 AM
    Either way you go both will be far superior to the iPhone 4. Even getting a Z10 would be a major upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    Sanderferr likes this.
    11-18-14 08:25 AM
    If price important you should go for the Q10 or Q5. I personally want the Classic because it has a larger battery, but I'm going to wait for reviews to check how long the battery lasts, and see how the pricing will be in my country. A newer phone also has longer software support (although the Z10 has been getting every update so far, that's much better than the average Android if you don't count custom roms).

There's a couple of pictures on the internet already with a Classic lying next to a Q10 so it's easy to compare.
    Sanderferr likes this.
    11-18-14 09:03 AM
    Forget the Q10. Get the Classic.

Q10 will be EOL soon whereas the Classic is going to be released in less than a month.

Posted via CB10
    Sanderferr likes this.
    11-18-14 09:07 AM
    Here's my .02....I've owned all of them. Z10 - great phone, horrible battery. Z30 - great phone. Great battery. Great screen real estate. Just can't get used to touch typing on virtual keyboard. Too many typo mistakes. Passport - awesome device. But just not for me. Too big for my daily driver. Keyboard is incredible but coming from a Q10 keybaord I had a hard time adjusting to the new way of typing required. I used it for a month and never felt right. If you are coming from a touch screen device it'd probably be game changing. If you're coming from a Bold or Q it's more 'complicated' imo. Q10 - wonderful device. Great keyboard. Great battery. With 103.1. amazing OS experience. Worked like a charm. But I really missed that tool belt. So for me the 17th can't come soon enough. Much as I want to be forward thinking and try new devices, it seems I always come home to a keyboard device. I'll put up with the smaller screen as a trade off. And getting the tool belt back on the Classic is about as good a home coming as you can get.Besides it looks like a really sexy device . I'd wait and get a Classic.
    Sanderferr likes this.
    11-18-14 09:13 AM
    Forget the Q10. Get the Classic.

Q10 will be EOL soon whereas the Classic is going to be released in less than a month.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for your reply hnguyen. My limited knowledge tells me it's far from EOL with both BB10 and it getting the new update. The only problem with getting it in the next month is that it won't be available for me in the next month and I'll probably have to wait for a much longer time.
    11-18-14 09:38 AM
    Thanks for your reply hnguyen. My limited knowledge tells me it's far from EOL with both BB10 and it getting the new update. The only problem with getting it in the next month is that it won't be available for me in the next month and I'll probably have to wait for a much longer time.
    The EOL comment is totally incorrect. Maybe he means end of production.

Posted via CB10
    Sanderferr likes this.
    11-18-14 09:45 AM
    I think the Q10 is an awesome device, so if you want to save some money and don't mind an all gesture based phone, you can't go wrong with the Q10.

My personal opinion is that the Classic will be a little more mature compared to the Q10 and I believe the tool belt to be a great addition to the phone, so you might think about spending the extra bucks for that.

Both devices are good without doubt, so it's up to your preference.
    Sanderferr likes this.
    11-19-14 06:39 AM
    I would recommend you get the Q10 because it would be better for you, it's cheaper, you don't have to wait for it, and it is pretty much a classic without the tool belt and a slightly smaller battery. As a Q10 owner myself, I find that the battery is really good, and the phone itself is very fast and doesn't lag. The keyboard is also very good, I don't get the double typing issue. It is also a very good phone for one hand use. It feels very good in the hand thanks to the glass weave back. You won't regret buying a Q10, it's a very well built device.

Posted via CB10
    Sanderferr likes this.
    11-19-14 07:07 AM
    It may depend on how much typing you do. If the trackpad is very important then may wish to go for the Classic. I dislike losing the trackpad going to the Z10; I don't need the rest of the tool belt, but accurate and speedy text selection is important to me.

On a related note, a friend saw the news around the Classic and expressed interest in getting one, having gone from the 9900 to the iPhone 5S. Good to see that the media vibe around BlackBerry is getting to be more positive.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Sanderferr likes this.
    11-19-14 08:04 AM
    The only one who can answer that question is you. But you need to look at the facts. At this point it has been stated it is only a small upgrade, but is it really? Let's look at this closer.

BlackBerry Classic vs Q10 Specs

• Processor - The Classic will be powered by a Qualcomm MSM8960 chipset (with dual-core Krait at 1.5GHz). The Q10 has a very similar Dual-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A9, TI OMAP 4470.
    • Memory - Both have 2GB RAM.
    • Display - The Classic will have a larger display at 720 x 720 pixels, 3.46 inches (~291 ppi pixel density). The Q10's display is 720 x 720 pixels, 3.1 inches (~328 ppi pixel density).
    • Internal Memory - Both are 16GB, but the Classic will officially support expanding to 128GB with the use of a Micro SD card. (I believe after OS 10.3.1 that the Q10 will unofficially support this as well)
    • Camera - Both have the same front (2 MP) and rear (8 MP) facing camera specifications.
    • Battery - The Classic will increase the battery to a non-removable Li-Ion 2515 mAh battery. The Q10 has a removable Li-Ion 2100 mAh battery. Expect a fairly substantial increase in battery life.
    • Additional features of the Classic - Tool Belt

So here is where I see the upgrades: Tool Belt, Display and Battery (even though it non-removable).

According to your numbers you will be paying $295 USD more for the Classic.

Here's is what I would suggest, pickup a used (but in good condition) Q10 for the time being. Let BlackBerry run through the Classic for a bit and then if you decide you need the upgrade sell the Q10 and pickup the Classic. I just bought a Q10 for $125 USD used.
    Sanderferr likes this.
    11-19-14 08:19 AM
    Since your last BlackBerry device was a BB9700, I would recommend getting the Classic. You'll be familiar with the toolbelt, it will be a bigger screen, bigger battery and possibly other better specs than the Q10.

The Q10 though is still a great device and available now. I would only recommend going with it if you can't wait and/or the price of the Classic is a big issue for you.
    Sanderferr likes this.
    11-19-14 09:09 AM
    Love the Q10 but being so close to the release of the Classic, it might be prudent to wait so you can get a hands on feel for the new device plus confirm all the specs. Classic boasts the tool belt, bigger battery, larger screen and an overall larger size of the actual device. If any or all of these features interest you, then you may wish to hold off on the Q10. Besides, there will still be new Q10's around on the months to come at good prices. My two cents, anyway. Good luck in your decision.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 10:09 AM
    I went through a similar experience as you. Owner of iPhones for the last 6 years, 4 generations ending up with the 4s, my wife the 5s. Now that I made the switch to BlackBerry, I will never go back! I purchased a used Q10 for $125 with an extra battery and leather holster. For being a potentially 1.5 year phone, it looks brand new. Excellent build quality. I was budget minded as well, and it was a perfect match.

My next phone will be a Qla99ic, but only after my q10's dying breath. Coming from a touch screen, you won't be disappointed. The OS takes a day or two to get used to, but afterwards devices that Need home buttons will give you a headache. Blackberry really figured that out.

They say the Q10 missed the mark, and as an upgrade to the Bold 9900 I agree. Toolbelt users need the precision of that Trackpad. The text edit "bubble" or magnifying glass on the q10 is a great attempt at touchscreen text editing, but it is still touchscreen. But if you've never been spoiled by a 9900 and are coming from an iPhone, you will be pleasantly surprised by the q10.

I am thinking of the budget mindset of course. Unlimited budget and I would be typing on a Passport right now. But for $125 used and $250 new, the q10 was the best mobile purchase I ever made.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 12:38 PM
    The only one who can answer that question is you. But you need to look at the facts. At this point it has been stated it is only a small upgrade, but is it really? Let's look at this closer.

BlackBerry Classic vs Q10 Specs

• Processor - The Classic will be powered by a Qualcomm MSM8960 chipset (with dual-core Krait at 1.5GHz). The Q10 has a very similar Dual-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A9, TI OMAP 4470.
    • Memory - Both have 2GB RAM.
    • Display - The Classic will have a larger display at 720 x 720 pixels, 3.46 inches (~291 ppi pixel density). The Q10's display is 720 x 720 pixels, 3.1 inches (~328 ppi pixel density).
    • Internal Memory - Both are 16GB, but the Classic will officially support expanding to 128GB with the use of a Micro SD card. (I believe after OS 10.3.1 that the Q10 will unofficially support this as well)
    • Camera - Both have the same front (2 MP) and rear (8 MP) facing camera specifications.
    • Battery - The Classic will increase the battery to a non-removable Li-Ion 2515 mAh battery. The Q10 has a removable Li-Ion 2100 mAh battery. Expect a fairly substantial increase in battery life.
    • Additional features of the Classic - Tool Belt

So here is where I see the upgrades: Tool Belt, Display and Battery (even though it non-removable).

According to your numbers you will be paying $295 USD more for the Classic.

Here's is what I would suggest, pickup a used (but in good condition) Q10 for the time being. Let BlackBerry run through the Classic for a bit and then if you decide you need the upgrade sell the Q10 and pickup the Classic. I just bought a Q10 for $125 USD used.
    What a powerful and non emotional statement. I'd love to have you in my board meetings for such quick analysis.

1+

Posted via CB10
    mrfreeze likes this.
    11-19-14 12:44 PM
    Thanks. Let me know when and where.
    11-19-14 01:28 PM