Good morning everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself on here; I'm sure I'll be posting and lurking on the CB forums a lot in the coming months. Just got myself a BB Classic and it's getting here by this evening.

I was a huge BB fan about 5-6 years ago; owned the Bold and Curve back in those days. Then switched to iPhone for a few years. More recently (for the past 2 years) I've been on Android (specifically Google Nexus 5 and 6). I'm coming back to the BB because I miss the physical keyboard and trackpad combo; personally (and I speak only for myself) the productivity level I can operate on with the aforementioned is unmatched on iPhone or Nexus.

And more than most people, I think I could adjust back to the BlackBerry OS easily because of what I usually use my device for (listed in order of importance; most important first):

1) Emails (corporate and personal) + Calendars
    2) Messaging (SMS/MMS, WhatsApp, Google Hangout chat)
    3) Notes/Reminders (currently use Google Keep)
    4) Membership/Loyalty program info (currently use "Loyalty Program Card" info store feature in Google Wallet)
    5) Social Media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn)
    6) Other apps (Uber, Zipcard, TeamViewer, Google Maps, Audible, YouTube)

I do not play any games on my device, nor do I use it for entertainment apps like Netflix. I do plan on loading Google Play store (via the APK files method) to load some other apps that I know I need on a daily basis.

Do any of you see issues with the apps I listed above? I know that the ones that use Google Play Services won't work; can you point those out for me? Is there a way around that to make them work? And if you know for a fact that any of them will not work, can you recommend a work-around or another app that does the same thing?

Any other tips or advice, based on where I'm coming from (if you had a similar journey and ran into some issues I will too), would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance and I'm happy to be back!
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    04-02-15 06:36 AM
    Welcome back, we're better with you!
    04-02-15 08:18 AM
    I thought you went to OZ. Welcome.
    04-02-15 08:25 AM
    Play services is the only real drawback. Most of what I use on Andrroid functions well. The only draw back with Google Maps is not being able to sign in. There are a few hoops or work arounds to optimization but overall there is not any one app on my Nexus I can't live without that doesn't have a reasonable method for bbos10.

Sometimes things are a little janky and certain apps like OpenTable and even Dropbox work better as Android runtime apps than the native alternatives. This is kind of a problem with something like dropbox because the android version won't become part of the file manager.

Keep us posted but it sounds like you'll have smooth sailing.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 08:57 AM
    Welcome back. I am also curious here, we're you not tempted earlier and come back to BlackBerry Passport? What made you wait?

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 09:31 AM
    Welcome back. I am also curious here, we're you not tempted earlier and come back to BlackBerry Passport? What made you wait?

Posted via CB10
    Two reasons: the passport felt clunky in my hands, due to width and the 3-row keyboard (I tried it out in person first, at the store). And, I really wanted the physical trackpad.
    04-02-15 09:58 AM
    ...but overall there is not any one app on my Nexus I can't live without that doesn't have a reasonable method for bbos10.
    That makes me feel better. I know that I won't have as difficult of a time as some folks would, just because when it comes to heavy use, it's mostly the core functions of the device that I focus on, and for that BB appears to fine.
    04-02-15 09:59 AM
    I don't recommend loading google services...

Not sure why you expect to get google hangouts working either. Just sayin..

For all the other apps listed, use the ones that come on the device. Apps like Blackberry Remember are highly under rated.

Once again, leave the google services behind.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 10:32 AM
    I don't recommend loading google services...

Not sure why you expect to get google hangouts working either. Just sayin..

For all the other apps listed, use the ones that come on the device. Apps like Blackberry Remember are highly under rated.

Once again, leave the google services behind.

Posted via CB10
    Well, it's not that I plan to use all those Google apps; I listed them as things I use today on my Nexus. My intent in listing them in my post was to get recommendations on what I could use on the new BB as their counterparts. Or if I could still use the same ones.

From your response it appears that pretty much anything Google wouldn't be a good idea. Would love to hear some recommendations for their counterparts! Will definitely have to check out BB Remember now, based on your rec.
    Nicholas Mauro likes this.
    04-02-15 11:28 AM
    From the apps on your list, I use Instagram, Uber, and Google Maps daily on my Passport. They'll probably be somewhat slower on the Classic, but they'll work just fine.
    04-02-15 07:42 PM
    Since i use this phone... I left the Android apps i was using on my Android phone, and you know what?? I don't miss them. This phone provides in all my needs.. (phone wise )

Posted via my awesome Classic
    04-03-15 01:55 AM
    Play services is the only real drawback. Most of what I use on Andrroid functions well. The only draw back with Google Maps is not being able to sign in. There are a few hoops or work arounds to optimization but overall there is not any one app on my Nexus I can't live without that doesn't have a reasonable method for bbos10.

Sometimes things are a little janky and certain apps like OpenTable and even Dropbox work better as Android runtime apps than the native alternatives. This is kind of a problem with something like dropbox because the android version won't become part of the file manager.

Keep us posted but it sounds like you'll have smooth sailing.

Posted via CB10
    I use Box vs DropBox.

Posted via Classic
    04-03-15 07:10 AM
    From the apps on your list, I use Instagram, Uber, and Google Maps daily on my Passport. They'll probably be somewhat slower on the Classic, but they'll work just fine.
    Hmmm, I guess I am beginning to see the hardware limitations of the Classic then; I installed Uber but it wouldn't get past the startup screen (where the logo is in the center). The instagram app, on Play Store, says "this app isn't compatible with your device". I haven't even attempted Google Maps yet because the BB maps app appears to work fine for my use.
    04-03-15 09:33 AM
    There is a native 3rd party hangouts in BlackBerry app world called
    HG10 does hangouts nicely. So he will be all set then

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 05:00 PM
    There is a native 3rd party hangouts in BlackBerry app world called
    HG10 does hangouts nicely. So he will be all set then

Posted via CB10
    Thank you!
    04-04-15 10:09 AM
    After a couple of days of fiddling, I have my Classic setup precisely how I'd like and have found workarounds or apps that satisfy a certain need in all areas. THANK YOU ALL for all your tips and help!

There have been two items I have been unable to find a reasonable solution for, as of right now. Perhaps some of you can help with this?
    • Uber - This appears to be an issue for all BB users currently; the app and mobile site was working until the most recent update. Now it doesn't appear to work for BB users as of very recently. This is an issue for me because I don't keep a vehicle (I live in the city and next door to the building where I work, haha). So I tend to use Uber and ZipCar a lot. With ZipCar I am able to reserve vehicles via their website at least and use their NFC card to access the vehicle. But I have no workaround for Uber right now.
    • Video calls - I haven't been able to figure out the BBM video calling feature. From what I understand, it's only available via BBM Meetings (paid service) or if the other person also has a BB device and not just the BBM app on an iPhone or Android. Skype is choppy at best and doesn't even show video most of the time, even though it claims video is on.
    04-04-15 10:17 AM
    Enjoy the Classic. I really recommend you push yourself to learn BlackBerry Assistant. I use it to wake me up, schedule in my yoga class, and reminders to get things done. It's very useful.
    04-05-15 05:08 PM
    @sidkross WELCOME
    04-09-15 12:22 PM
    After a couple of days of fiddling, I have my Classic setup precisely how I'd like and have found workarounds or apps that satisfy a certain need in all areas. THANK YOU ALL for all your tips and help!

There have been two items I have been unable to find a reasonable solution for, as of right now. Perhaps some of you can help with this?
    • Uber - This appears to be an issue for all BB users currently; the app and mobile site was working until the most recent update. Now it doesn't appear to work for BB users as of very recently. This is an issue for me because I don't keep a vehicle (I live in the city and next door to the building where I work, haha). So I tend to use Uber and ZipCar a lot. With ZipCar I am able to reserve vehicles via their website at least and use their NFC card to access the vehicle. But I have no workaround for Uber right now.
    • Video calls - I haven't been able to figure out the BBM video calling feature. From what I understand, it's only available via BBM Meetings (paid service) or if the other person also has a BB device and not just the BBM app on an iPhone or Android. Skype is choppy at best and doesn't even show video most of the time, even though it claims video is on.
    Of course, a few days after we all tell you Uber is no problem it goes black....ugh! m.uber works perfectly, some folks have posted you need to contact them to "allow" access. Kind of silly of them but it might be a solid temp work around. Today's Uber update also sucks and hangs on the u screen. I believe two releases ago worked last....i don't know where to find the file but it might be worth hunting around for.
    04-09-15 10:09 PM