- Minor: Deleting multiple photographs doesn't work via the Delete key. As soon as the next photo is displayed, the Delete key stops working.
    - Minor: I can't use the Enter key to open an email in the email list (I have to click the trackpad or touch screen). Like I could on the 9900. It may work with some of the list screens, but it doesn't work on all lists.
    This looks like a design flaw to me and is major.
    sam_tek likes this.
    12-19-14 11:56 AM
    Some comments, I finally got to try out a Classic.

Love that I can do deterministic keyboard operations including application launching and application control, even better than the Q10 does. (See my other thread)

That said.

Some early comments:
    - Main problem of BlackBerry Classic for me: Its Calendar app is crap compared to BlackBerry 9900's. I can't directly type an appointment into the calendar, or easily operate the calendar completely without using the touchscreen. Also, I can't rapidly 'rolodex' through (day mode), and the trackpad feels wonky trying to scroll vertically rapidly through calendar months (monthly mode), it seems like keyboard/trackpad operation of Calendar is an afterthought.
    - Minor: Deleting multiple photographs doesn't work via the Delete key. As soon as the next photo is displayed, the Delete key stops working.
    - Minor: I can't use the Enter key to open an email in the email list (I have to click the trackpad or touch screen). Like I could on the 9900. It may work with some of the list screens, but it doesn't work on all lists.
    - Can't animation speed be configurable? I find that the fade animations make it feel a bit sluggish. It's fine, as it seems to buffer up the keypresses and I can still storm ahead (and the BlackBerry animations will catch up), but it would be nice to get the screen snappines I got with the 9900. (Perhaps keyboard shortcuts should bypass animations, unlike touchscreen taps? Or configurable.)
    - I REALLY dislike the back key closing applications by default in the task screen. What if I composed a message in the BlackBerry browser, then decided to multitask to the Home screen to look up stuff such as an addressbook - but accidentally press the "Back" toolbelt button in the task screen -- ouch -- browser gets closed, partial message composed in forum gets lost. For example, accidentally pressing toolbelt "Back" in home screen (on the web browser task) is a death sentence for long unsubmitted text entered in web email and discussion forums via the browser. Please fix this to disable the Back key in home screen, BlackBerry, if possible... This isn't a 9900-audience-friendly behavior.

All in all, a great phone, with only minor bugs. Lots and lots of upgrade for a 9900 user -- including NETFLIX working. And 3D games such as Temple Run 2 (which I pulled down via Amazon App Store) still manages to operates at 60 frames per second -- this low end GPU (compared to Passport) is still many thousand of light years ahead of 9900's. THIS is the phone you're wanting to upgrade to, if you're holding your 9900, till death part, until it is pried out of your cold dead hands.

We need a minor BBOS 10.3 bugfix release for keyboard addicts like me.
    and yes... Thanks for the insight... Nice post and information
    12-19-14 11:58 AM
    I am a thumb touchtypist, and can use the keyboard without looking. I even wrote the world's first BlackBerry Thumb Touch Typing HOWTO in year 2005. --snip--
    I believe you meant this how-to? BlackBerry Thumb Touch Typist Guide (Typing 60 WPM without looking!) - BlackBerry Forums Support Community
    12-19-14 12:04 PM
    IIRC, JC mentioned that BlackBerry had to add a lot of code to BB10 in order to make the tool belt work harmoniously with the OS.

And these bugs clearly show the conflict areas where BB10's touch only OS navigation hasn't been altered to work with the tool-belt.

So these bugs would most likely be fixed with OS updates.

CB10 @ Q5
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-19-14 12:58 PM

So these bugs would most likely be fixed with OS updates.
    In what, 11 months from now? -rhetorical Q-
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-19-14 01:26 PM
    In what, 11 months from now? -rhetorical Q-
    If BlackBerry launched the Classic specifically with OS7/ 9900/ Enterprise customers in focus it better be within a couple weeks.

But BlackBerry has never done anything so radical before! Maybe with JC at helm they would.

CB10 @ Q5
    12-19-14 01:46 PM
    After owning a Q10, I bought my Classic today. Sharp phone, very fast and efficient. The Q was good but to small and cramped with less hardware style.

This device may have the same specs but I'm noticing lightening speeds in comparison.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 01:56 PM

Are you aware who I am?!
    Lemme guess- Ronald McDonald's illegitmate child?
    Mack Gans likes this.
    12-19-14 03:26 PM
    The Classic looks great but I am disappointed they stuck with the same processor and GPU from the Q10. The fancy animations in 10.3.1 are too much for the 2013-era GPU when we are less than a month away from 2015.

Much better to wait for the Classic 2.0, which will have all the modern specs BlackBerry didn't have time to put into the Classic 1.0.
    12-19-14 04:13 PM
    you cant scroll to 8 pm in the calendar app and just start typing and then press enter?
    12-19-14 04:34 PM
    The Classic looks great but I am disappointed they stuck with the same processor and GPU from the Q10. The fancy animations in 10.3.1 are too much for the 2013-era GPU when we are less than a month away from 2015.

Much better to wait for the Classic 2.0, which will have all the modern specs BlackBerry didn't have time to put into the Classic 1.0.
    any idea how long we'd be looking at waiting?
    12-21-14 06:18 PM
    The Classic looks great but I am disappointed they stuck with the same processor and GPU from the Q10. The fancy animations in 10.3.1 are too much for the 2013-era
    Too much? No they aren't...

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 06:34 PM
    - I REALLY dislike the back key closing applications by default in the task screen.
    If you're in an app, and you repeatedly hit the back key will you get to the home screen eventually? Will the app you were just in be selected? And then will the next back press close that app?

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 11:38 PM
    If you're in an app, and you repeatedly hit the back key will you get to the home screen eventually? Will the app you were just in be selected? And then will the next back press close that app?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, yes and yes.

If I'm a few submenus into an app, I generally hit the Hang Up key to get to the home screen quickly. Then, if I want to close the app, I just slide over and tap the Return key

Classically posted via CB10
    12-22-14 09:47 AM
    Yes, yes and yes.

If I'm a few submenus into an app, I generally hit the Hang Up key to get to the home screen quickly. Then, if I want to close the app, I just slide over and tap the Return key

Classically posted via CB10
    Thats bizarre behavior... imagine if they did this in OS7: hit the back key many times and it will close the app... brilliant.

Hang up key -> home screen is good, I like that. My GF tried out the classic (she's a 9900 user) and held down the BB key and that did nothing... she says, "if I have to relearn something I might as well relearn something thats used more widely like android".

I've convinced her to try the classic, but come on blackberry, if it werent for us BB die hards pushing people to keep giving them chance after chance there's no hope of getting a significant user base back.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 01:15 PM
    Thats bizarre behavior... imagine if they did this in OS7: hit the back key many times and it will close the app... brilliant.

Hang up key -> home screen is good, I like that. My GF tried out the classic (she's a 9900 user) and held down the BB key and that did nothing... she says, "if I have to relearn something I might as well relearn something thats used more widely like android".

I've convinced her to try the classic, but come on blackberry, if it werent for us BB die hards pushing people to keep giving them chance after chance there's no hope of getting a significant user base back.

Posted via CB10
    I don't get your gf's reasoning.
    12-25-14 08:24 PM
    I am a thumb touchtypist, and can use the keyboard without looking. I even wrote the world's first BlackBerry Thumb Touch Typing HOWTO in year 2005. If you google "Mark Rejhon's BlackBerry FAQ", you will see a link to a catalog post of many articles I wrote in the past.

Are you aware who I am? I am a former moderator of BlackBerryForums, and have worked on many, many, many BlackBerry software development projects from JDE 4.2 through as recently as BB10 SDK 10.2

Crackberry has already posted all the great stuff that I really love about this, but nobody has brought these major nits up. After all, I like to swoosh through without looking at the screen. This BlackBerry is for hardcore 9900 and keyboard users, is it not?

I am an actual user who pays for my own BlackBerry. There is a reason I have decided to pass the Q10 and Z10. BlackBerry seems to be listening to paying customers better nowadays (this is a demo unit, but have an order), so I will be posting my upcoming nits in this thread.

On the closeout: The BlackBerry Classic is the best BlackBerry that they have ever released!
    This "best" honor I'd rather give to Passport, Classic is a downgrade, second tier phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 12:00 AM

Sad but true. The "Classic 2.0" should of been released right after the Bold 9900.
    VeryBumpy likes this.
    12-26-14 03:59 AM
    I love this phone.

One bug really... weird but "fun"

My first impressions of the classic!-img_20150507_233949.png

The blue light of the trackpad is stuck in the assistant window, and I can move it. My first PK but 3rd BlackBerry device. I'm not sure it is really useful

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 04:46 PM
44 12