I use all four major mobile OS's so I'm not really in any one camp - I like it all. My first smartphone was a Curve 8330 on Sprint and I've since had a 9930 and a Z10, before recently getting my Classic. Between the best in class typing experience and the ability to easily install Android apps, this is definitely the best BlackBerry device I've used (as it should be).

However, the processor. I honestly don't generally care about specs. If the device has good performance, who cares about the spec sheet? I don't play games on my devices either. While native BlackBerry apps and messaging are smooth and fast, there is one glaring performance issue:

Incredible lag when typing in the native browser.

Like, ridiculous lag. I can type faster than the letters show up. I'll hit search only to realize half of letters aren't there. It's actually really, really bad. The phone's internals are just not up to snuff to today's webapps. Traditional web sites aren't as bad, but given the lack of many apps, I rely on accessing mobile optimized web apps for many things (for example, my company uses 15Five for weekly status updates).

Obviously, Android apps running on 17 layers of emulation aren't terribly snappy to load or interact with - but I can accept that. The browser though, that stings.

Everything else is great. Productivity oriented experiences mixed with a bit of nostalgia makes the Classic worth it to me. But I sincerely hope, perhaps irrationally, that future software updates can somehow boost browser performance.

Side note: the fact that I can (and actually want to) type this whole post on the device really speaks to just how different a BlackBerry is relative to my iPhone, Nexus, or Lumia. Never would I want to type anything this long on those.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 09:22 AM
    I've found browser typing lag to be web page specific. Some are horrible, others are fine.

Also noticed browser does consume a fair bit of battery power.
    CDM76, nah.uhh, Bobert_123 and 1 others like this.
    12-24-14 09:29 AM
    The browser isn't limited by the processor. I am using the Passport, which runs a much faster processing unit and have the same issues regarding typing lag in browser. The problem was also existent on the Q10 under 10.2.x and seems to be software related.

Posted via CB10
    BCLoco likes this.
    12-24-14 09:31 AM
    The browser isn't limited by the processor. I am using the Passport, which runs a much faster processing unit and have the same issues regarding typing lag in browser. The problem was also existent on the Q10 under 10.2.x and seems to be software related.

Posted via CB10
    Well that's not good news...

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 09:32 AM
    I was about to say exactly the same thing. This feels like a browser (software) issue. The OP is right that this is exacerbated by the lack of many good native apps. So the browser becomes even more important.

This site is not too bad on the Passport, but still a far cry from the typing speed and general smoothness you have on Tapatalk for iOS and Android.

I think they can fix this in the browser.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Mr4aces likes this.
    12-24-14 10:04 AM
    Has anyone tried other browser apps? Just a thought.
    12-24-14 10:09 AM
    That's lovely. Especially when I'm constantly told to use the browser when I mention missing apps that I rely on.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤
    Coffee Shampoo likes this.
    12-24-14 10:22 AM
    That's lovely. Especially when I'm constantly told to use the browser when I mention missing apps that I rely on.

I don't have problem using the browser when in my bank account with the Classic
    12-24-14 10:45 AM
    I have logged into my bank account and other sites and have had no lag at all. As fast as I type the data is entered.
    12-24-14 10:48 AM
    Thanks guys. So what is this reported lag?

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    Coffee Shampoo likes this.
    12-24-14 10:52 AM
    maybe some website...

OP give me a website where you experience this..
    12-24-14 11:02 AM

Well it is a rather strange issue. First, not all websites are effected by the lag, I can't it say it only happens on mobile optimised or desktop only pages. Second, the lag is sometimes worse, sometimes even very minor on the same website. Amazon and ebay are great examples. Sometimes when typing a search term on Amazon, everything is works as it should, yet on other times there is a two or three second lag.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 11:06 AM
    Thanks guys. So what is this reported lag?
    Evernote will get annoying after you type a few bullets.
    This site lags on replies.
    Stackoverflow I find unusable on the Passport compared to iPhone/iPad, which is a shame because the width is super useful on sites like that.

I think it's just bugs in 10.3 that they can fix. I don't think this is a hardware limitation at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-24-14 11:12 AM
    maybe some website...

OP give me a website where you experience this..
    Well as VeryBumpy mentioned, it seems to be very website specific, probably related to certain web technologies that aren't supported well in the BlackBerry browser.

My original example was 15Five, which is what my company uses for employees to report their week's work and future goals. I do quite a bit of typing there and the experience was quite poor. Type a bunch...wait...it fills in eventually, I'll notice a typo, tap it, fix it, go back to the end, type a bunch, wait, repeat.

I know I've seen it elsewhere, but can't think of a specific example. As I notice them, I'll add them here.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 11:12 AM
    ok thanks guys
    Not a deal breaker since I really really want this phone but it's good to know what people are experiencing

Last edited by qbnkelt; 12-24-14 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Typo
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-24-14 11:14 AM
    Well as VeryBumpy mentioned, it seems to be very website specific, probably related to certain web technologies that aren't supported well in the BlackBerry browser.

My original example was 15Five, which is what my company uses for employees to report their week's work and future goals. I do quite a bit of typing there and the experience was quite poor. Type a bunch...wait...it fills in eventually, I'll notice a typo, tap it, fix it, go back to the end, type a bunch, wait, repeat.

I know I've seen it elsewhere, but can't think of a specific example. As I notice them, I'll add them here.

Posted via CB10
    I see...thanks
    12-24-14 11:19 AM
    Like, ridiculous lag. I can type faster than the letters show up. I'll hit search only to realize half of letters aren't there. It's actually really, really bad
    I don't experince it at all, and I have a loose space key!!! The browser works perfect for me, and I can say it's the best mobile browser I have used.
    I feel the lag of universal search on home screen though.
    12-24-14 02:57 PM
    Just a quick thought.
    Try to switch off Search Suggestions under browser setting → display and actions.
    I think it would help your lagging situation.
    12-24-14 03:01 PM
    Yeah I've had the browser typing lag on my Z10's, Q10's, and now my Classic. It's only a handful of sites it happens to me on. Still frustrating when it happens. And count my vote for it being a software issue. I'm confident it's unrelated to the processor.
    12-24-14 05:29 PM
    Come to Passport, guys. You can fly on the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 08:13 PM
    Come to Passport, guys. You can fly on the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Have you even read the topic?! We are talking about lag while typing in the browser on various websites. This also happens on the almighty Passport.

Posted via CB10
    sam_tek likes this.
    12-25-14 01:55 AM
    On my Q10 I have the same problem with various websites.

As a (weird) solution, I type it as an email draft, and then copy/paste it to the website. I know, shouldn't have to be that way, but it saves me from ripping my hair out in frustration.

PS, NOW we all understand why VZW didn�t release this phone immediately. They are waiting for BlackBerry to fix all these initial screw ups, and then (we hope) provide their customers with an almost perfect phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 06:57 AM
    I have the typing lag too, but website- specific? It seems to not be so, just sometimes it happens and not all the time, usually when actually in the address bar rather than like in posts.

At home online i am almost always on my playbook and it happens with this too. No problems today so far, its not even every day.

I've seen it with the z10, and the Bold . I dont recall it happening on my z30 yet, but i dont browse with it alot.

Meanwhile i want the Classic more and more with all the great comments from you happy campers. Since i have phones coming out of my ears now and i'm not rich it'll have to wait awhile.
    12-25-14 10:28 AM
    I used to have it on my Playbook. Drove me nuts. I have not experienced it on the Q10 or Classic though.

Posted from my Classic.
    12-25-14 12:58 PM
    I think most of these issues are due to website features such as autocomplete/search suggestions and auto-draft saving in text fields.

Both of those will cause considerable lag when typing with any mobile device really. Must be the way they implement power management limits on server/script calls, and whatever latency your mobile connection presents (which is usually fairly high).

This is why proper apps usually cache things and do smooth UI processing without any network involvement.

Very doubtful that any of this is limited by the processor speed these modern devices are packing, including the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 01:08 PM
80 123 ...