Some comments, I finally got to try out a Classic.

Love that I can do deterministic keyboard operations including application launching and application control, even better than the Q10 does. (See my other thread)

That said.

Some early comments:
    - Main problem of BlackBerry Classic for me: Its Calendar app is crap compared to BlackBerry 9900's. I can't directly type an appointment into the calendar, or easily operate the calendar completely without using the touchscreen. Also, I can't rapidly 'rolodex' through (day mode), and the trackpad feels wonky trying to scroll vertically rapidly through calendar months (monthly mode), it seems like keyboard/trackpad operation of Calendar is an afterthought.
    - Minor: Deleting multiple photographs doesn't work via the Delete key. As soon as the next photo is displayed, the Delete key stops working.
    - Minor: I can't use the Enter key to open an email in the email list (I have to click the trackpad or touch screen). Like I could on the 9900. It may work with some of the list screens, but it doesn't work on all lists.
    - Can't animation speed be configurable? I find that the fade animations make it feel a bit sluggish. It's fine, as it seems to buffer up the keypresses and I can still storm ahead (and the BlackBerry animations will catch up), but it would be nice to get the screen snappines I got with the 9900. (Perhaps keyboard shortcuts should bypass animations, unlike touchscreen taps? Or configurable.)
    - I REALLY dislike the back key closing applications by default in the task screen. What if I composed a message in the BlackBerry browser, then decided to multitask to the Home screen to look up stuff such as an addressbook - but accidentally press the "Back" toolbelt button in the task screen -- ouch -- browser gets closed, partial message composed in forum gets lost. For example, accidentally pressing toolbelt "Back" in home screen (on the web browser task) is a death sentence for long unsubmitted text entered in web email and discussion forums via the browser. Please fix this to disable the Back key in home screen, BlackBerry, if possible... This isn't a 9900-audience-friendly behavior.

All in all, a great phone, with only minor bugs. Lots and lots of upgrade for a 9900 user -- including NETFLIX working. And 3D games such as Temple Run 2 (which I pulled down via Amazon App Store) still manages to operates at 60 frames per second -- this low end GPU (compared to Passport) is still many thousand of light years ahead of 9900's. THIS is the phone you're wanting to upgrade to, if you're holding your 9900, till death part, until it is pried out of your cold dead hands.

We need a minor BBOS 10.3 bugfix release for keyboard addicts like me.
    12-17-14 10:37 PM
    Did you try shortcutme and are the macros working the same way as on the bold ?

Thinking aboit buying one for my mum

Sent from my BlackBerry
    12-17-14 11:06 PM
    ShortcutMe does not exist for BlackBerry 10.
    Last edited by flyingsolid; 12-18-14 at 12:17 AM.
    12-17-14 11:50 PM
    Oh thank you mods can you pls delete my question then ?

Sent from my BlackBerry
    12-18-14 12:04 AM
    I agree with a lot of what you said. I suggested that they use long-pressing the back key from within the app to close the app outright, but apparently at least one person somehow thought it was a better idea to require you to exit the app, then press the back key, and I can see how you can easily accidentally close apps by doing so...

Have you tried bringing up your observations in the icanmakeitbetter website??
    ViaCassian and Dave Bourque like this.
    12-18-14 12:53 AM

Love that I can do deterministic keyboard operations including application launching and application control, even better than the Q10 does. (See my other thread)

That said.

Some early comments:
    - Main problem of BlackBerry Classic for me: Its Calendar app is crap compared to BlackBerry 9900's. I can't directly type an appointment into the calendar, or easily operate the calendar completely without using the touchscreen. Also, I can't rapidly 'rolodex' through (day mode), and the trackpad feels wonky trying to scroll vertically rapidly through calendar months (monthly mode), it seems like keyboard/trackpad operation of Calendar is an afterthought.
    - Minor: Deleting multiple photographs doesn't work via the Delete key. As soon as the next photo is displayed, the Delete key stops working.
    - Minor: I can't use the Enter key to open an email in the email list (I have to click the trackpad or touch screen). Like I could on the 9900. It may work with some of the list screens, but it doesn't work on all lists.
    - Can't animation speed be configurable? I find that the fade animations make it feel a bit sluggish. It's fine, as it seems to buffer up the keypresses and I can still storm ahead (and the BlackBerry animations will catch up), but it would be nice to get the screen snappines I got with the 9900. (Perhaps keyboard shortcuts should bypass animations, unlike touchscreen taps? Or configurable.)
    - I REALLY dislike the back key closing applications by default in the task screen. What if I composed a message in the BlackBerry browser, then decided to multitask to the Home screen to look up stuff such as an addressbook - but accidentally press the "Back" toolbelt button in the task screen -- ouch -- browser gets closed, partial message composed in forum gets lost. For example, accidentally pressing toolbelt "Back" in home screen (on the web browser task) is a death sentence for long unsubmitted text entered in web email and discussion forums via the browser. Please fix this to disable the Back key in home screen, BlackBerry, if possible... This isn't a 9900-audience-friendly behavior.

All in all, a great phone, with only minor bugs. Lots and lots of upgrade for a 9900 user -- including NETFLIX working. And 3D games such as Temple Run 2 (which I pulled down via Amazon App Store) still manages to operates at 60 frames per second -- this low end GPU (compared to Passport) is still many thousand of light years ahead of 9900's. THIS is the phone you're wanting to upgrade to, if you're holding your 9900, till death part, until it is pried out of your cold dead hands.

Please post your concerns here https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter.com/ some of these might be bugs others seem to be design flaws that can be easily corrected with a software update.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    12-18-14 12:58 AM
    Long pressing the menu key in any application should actually give you the multitasking functionality as it is with my Bold 9790... So you should be able to switch between applications...
    12-18-14 01:19 AM
    Yes, I agree on that too.

Another thing I do REALLY appreciate is that BlackBerry abandoned the very annoying Shift+Backspace and Alt+Backspace confusion that has existed on BlackBerry 9900 ever since OS 7.1 got released. Alt+Backspaces deleted one character, while Shift+Backspace erased the whole field. This has led to me losing countless text messages, when I accidentally pressed the other combination while in the middle of composing a text message.
    12-18-14 07:49 AM
    Assuming that touch screen and gestures still work the same as with any other BB10 device, my guess is that many people will eventually start using BB10 gestures more and more, reducing their dependence on the function keys. It doesn't take long to get used to it.

A lot of the nits that have been brought up highlight differences between OS7 and BB10, not hardware differences between bold and classic. Why not focus on all the new wonderful functionality you've got rather than listing all the little features that you're missing?

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 07:57 AM
    Please post your concerns here (link removed due to postcount) some of these might be bugs others seem to be design flaws that can be easily corrected with a software update.
    If this existed ten years ago, I would have quickly become a VIP much like Kevin of CrackBerry. I was instrumental (in year 2004-2005) in helping making BlackBerryForums popular back then, with the series of BlackBerry FAQs ("Mark Rejhon BlackBerry FAQ") for the large series of articles I wrote for their forum. Will have to register at your link. Cheers.
    Last edited by mdrejhon; 12-18-14 at 08:15 AM.
    12-18-14 07:58 AM
    It doesn't take long to get used to it.
    I am a thumb touchtypist, and can use the keyboard without looking. I even wrote the world's first BlackBerry Thumb Touch Typing HOWTO in year 2005. If you google "Mark Rejhon's BlackBerry FAQ", you will see a link to a catalog post of many articles I wrote in the past.

A lot of the nits that have been brought up highlight differences between OS7 and BB10, not hardware differences between bold and classic. Why not focus on all the new wonderful functionality you've got rather than listing all the little features that you're missing?
    Are you aware who I am? I am a former moderator of BlackBerryForums, and have worked on many, many, many BlackBerry software development projects from JDE 4.2 through as recently as BB10 SDK 10.2

Crackberry has already posted all the great stuff that I really love about this, but nobody has brought these major nits up. After all, I like to swoosh through without looking at the screen. This BlackBerry is for hardcore 9900 and keyboard users, is it not?

I am an actual user who pays for my own BlackBerry. There is a reason I have decided to pass the Q10 and Z10. BlackBerry seems to be listening to paying customers better nowadays (this is a demo unit, but have an order), so I will be posting my upcoming nits in this thread.

On the closeout: The BlackBerry Classic is the best BlackBerry that they have ever released!
    Last edited by mdrejhon; 12-18-14 at 08:19 AM.
    12-18-14 08:05 AM

That said.

Some early comments:

Thank you with the comment with temple run 2 running perfectly on your phone I made a thread saying the classic specs are a blessing in disguise and think that it won't run android games properly with the adreno 225 when I told them that 10.3.1 really takes advantage of the hardware big time and optimizes it. Have you tried any other games?? I have a spare q5 and it plays android apps smoothly

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-18-14 08:09 AM
    Yep! Every media pundit says the Classic is underpowered, but it's a Ferrari in comparision to the 9900.

Indeed -- It will be even better once they inevitably fix easy bugs reported by actual paying end users like me....And hopefully making it even more popular for subsequent Classic purchasers!

Cheers
    sam_tek and ptpete like this.
    12-18-14 08:13 AM
    I have very similar demands for my phone use (in and out as FAST as possible).

I hope BB listens and implements suggestions like yours, OP.

I can't count the number of times in my head I've screamed, "These fade in fade out animations are wasting my time!!!". Computer devices should be designed to wait for me, not the other way around.

Here's hoping 10.4 is very near and adds greatly to the functionality blurbs that the Classic may currently be lacking from BBOS.
    12-18-14 09:05 AM
    I am a thumb touchtypist, and can use the keyboard without looking. I even wrote the world's first BlackBerry Thumb Touch Typing HOWTO in year 2005. If you google "Mark Rejhon's BlackBerry FAQ", you will see a link to a catalog post of many articles I wrote in the past.

Are you aware who I am? I am a former moderator of BlackBerryForums, and have worked on many, many, many BlackBerry software development projects from JDE 4.2 through as recently as BB10 SDK 10.2

Crackberry has already posted all the great stuff that I really love about this, but nobody has brought these major nits up. After all, I like to swoosh through without looking at the screen. This BlackBerry is for hardcore 9900 and keyboard users, is it not?

I am an actual user who pays for my own BlackBerry. There is a reason I have decided to pass the Q10 and Z10. BlackBerry seems to be listening to paying customers better nowadays (this is a demo unit, but have an order), so I will be posting my upcoming nits in this thread.

On the closeout: The BlackBerry Classic is the best BlackBerry that they have ever released!
    It's the same BlackBerry 10 as any other BlackBerry 10 phone but with added hardware.
    I don't understand what you mean you are a paying customer... aren't we all paying customers?
    johnnyuk likes this.
    12-18-14 09:56 AM
    My initial thoughts in trying out a store demo today was that it felt or looked more like a Bold 9000 than the 9900. Still anxious to try one out.
    Frehley and Mr4aces like this.
    12-18-14 10:01 AM
    Long pressing the menu key in any application should actually give you the multitasking functionality as it is with my Bold 9790... So you should be able to switch between applications...
    But swiping up and over (or just diagonally) from the bottom of the screen does exactly the same thing and doesn't take as long as a long-press...
    12-18-14 11:32 AM

2 bows to a master. How do you feel about BB not utilizing the ergonomic keyboard?

Since we die hard 99's have no option but to accept the "Classic" as is.

Everything just flows on the 9900.
    12-18-14 11:54 AM
    It's the same BlackBerry 10 as any other BlackBerry 10 phone but with added hardware.
    I don't understand what you mean you are a paying customer... aren't we all paying customers?
    nop,

some people get promotional/evaluation handsets and they do not pay for that, having said that I think I am not going to ditch the iphone fo a while now.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    12-18-14 12:37 PM
    I wanted to say thank you for your post. As a long time Blackberry physical keyboard user (started with the Bold 9000) and lover of the Bold 9900's keyboard, I was totally disappointed with the Z10 when I migrated to BB10. It seemed like all of the efficiencies and essence of a keyboard Blackberry were forgotten about with the development of BB10 and a touch only device. My disappointment in the initial release of BB10 and the initial lack of apps led me to buying a Samsung Note 3 and getting on the Android train. That being said, I would always go back to my trusty 9900 and its ultra responsive physical keyboard just to play around with it somewhat. With the introduction of the Classic, I am once again excited to get back on the Blackberry wagon and enjoy the feel and efficiency of that perfect keyboard I so much missed. I appreciate the specifics that you pointed out, and I would encourage every Classic user to point out these minor inconsistencies with the 9900 in order to get the Classic fully up to par. I am just waiting for AT&T to offer it in the US and then I will be first in line for my Classic.

Thanks.
    12-18-14 01:23 PM
    Glad you are liking it. I haven't used my Bold in what feels like a lifetime. Happy to hear that losing the smile for the straight KB wasn't a big issue.

Sounds like most of the nit picks are small software tweaks that I hope roll out soon .

I wanted to say thank you for your post. As a long time Blackberry physical keyboard user (started with the Bold 9000) and lover of the Bold 9900's keyboard, I was totally disappointed with the Z10 when I migrated to BB10. It seemed like all of the efficiencies and essence of a keyboard Blackberry were forgotten about with the development of BB10 and a touch only device. My disappointment in the initial release of BB10 and the initial lack of apps led me to buying a Samsung Note 3 and getting on the Android train. That being said, I would always go back to my trusty 9900 and its ultra responsive physical keyboard just to play around with it somewhat. With the introduction of the Classic, I am once again excited to get back on the Blackberry wagon and enjoy the feel and efficiency of that perfect keyboard I so much missed. I appreciate the specifics that you pointed out, and I would encourage every Classic user to point out these minor inconsistencies with the 9900 in order to get the Classic fully up to par. I am just waiting for AT&T to offer it in the US and then I will be first in line for my Classic.

Thanks.
    Wait until you go back to a KB device.

It's amazing how confidently we can trick ourselves that we are used to a touch screen keyboard and no longer miss the QWERTY until we go back to a physical keyboard handset. I thought I was fine with the Z10 OSK after 2 years of use until I got the Passport. After two weeks I was just as fast as my Z10 but MUCH more accurate, and now I can touch type on it...something I haven't been able to do on a phone since 2006.
    Last edited by -Puck-; 12-18-14 at 01:59 PM.
    12-18-14 01:49 PM

Thanks.
    I am also on ATT, with all the hipe I could not wait for ATT to have the SQC100-2 w/wireless charging available. Who knows how long I would have to wait. I'm thinking that the Classic II will come out next fall so I will up grade to a real "Classic"
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 12-18-14 at 09:07 PM.
    12-18-14 02:16 PM
    Not all of us. Many are given work-issued BlackBerries. We're amongst the first paying customers to actually post the first feedback that's not on a prototype unit. Even if a lucky few of us play around with a demo unit on launch day.

Meanwhile, I am getting more excited. Hopefully a bugfix OS release arrives soon before my unit arrives.
    12-18-14 08:46 PM
    Could you upload video or something in youtube to see what exactly you are talking about,. Anyway I'm jealous you got yours.

" Initiated from my QNX10 "
    12-18-14 09:04 PM
    Unnecessary giant quote removed by moderator

shouldn't the END button take you directly to the home screen?
    12-18-14 10:18 PM
44 12