Hi

Was following the Apple event today and came across this on the press release of their new iPhone showing of the so called revolutionary features :

Ahem.... Blackberry Passport and Classic I am looking at you

What a blatant rip off. Shall we sue that 🍎 company.

What you guys think.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails Iphone so called revolutionary track pad-76093.jpg  
    09-09-15 04:37 PM
    That was like when the wife bought me an iPad, which isn't too bad a device. Before that I had a Playbook and sometimes would tie it to my 9810 slider in order to read or send texts from the Playbook.

So, 2 years after the Playbook I get this iPad: it immediately updates to IOS 8,1, with the revolutionary new ("gasp - amazing") feature where you can tie your iPhone to the iPad and TEXT ON THE IPAD!

Wow! I'll admit that I was rather underwhelmed, because Playbook already had it ...
    09-09-15 04:48 PM
    how is it a ripoff? can you do this on the z30/z10 keyboard?
    09-09-15 05:28 PM
    how is it a ripoff? can you do this on the z30/z10 keyboard?
    Why this is innovation, when if directly inspired they basically killed the hybrid keyboards' use in less than 12mtha flat. Now add 3D Touch

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 05:34 PM
    With the new pressure sensitivity, the whole screen can become like a touchpad with pressure to mimic a click. I would say this could be implemented on other non-pressue sensitive screens with long press, as in:

long press on keyboard to make it a touchpad
    long press to exit touchpad mode

The only difference is that long press will eat up more time than a pressure sensitive screen, where the response could be instant.
    09-09-15 05:47 PM
    It's no big deal that companies copy each other. If BlackBerry fails to market their features, that's their bad. Also it's no news that Apple sells old technology as revolutionary, but people buy it. Nonetheless, it's not a one-way street, BlackBerry definitely copies ideas and features too.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 05:51 PM
    Is this official?

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    09-10-15 02:38 AM
    I am just trying to highlight how Apple thinks it can get away with stealing concepts and ideas and rebrand them as revolutionary.

What gets me that they throw other companies into legal disputes over so called infringements of their patents. Yet when they copy left right and centre most of the time they win the legal battles in their favour.

See the example of the Apple vs Samsung lawsuits and how they eventually turned out. Who benefitted the most.

09-10-15 03:55 AM
    I am just trying to highlight how Apple thinks it can get away with stealing concepts and ideas and rebrand them as revolutionary.
    These days, everyone does it. You must not be familiar with some of the origins of features on BlackBerry 10. webOS, Meego, etc etc. How about 'Time Shift' which was never even a BlackBerry 10 specific feature.
    kbz1960 and LazyEvul like this.
    09-10-15 04:04 AM
    These days, everyone does it. You must not be familiar with some of the origins of features on BlackBerry 10. webOS, Meego, etc etc. How about 'Time Shift' which was never even a BlackBerry 10 specific feature.
    I am not denying that everyone copies. There is very few innovative features of any platform nowadays.

The point I am trying to make is that when the rest of the mobile world copy they are sued for infringements, their products are banned from sales but Apple seem to get away with for most of the time. What's even more surprisingly so is that some of the fanboys don't appreciate other platforms influence on Apple's own implementation.

I think the mentality of Apple iPhone superiority amongst the general masses needs to be dealt with so that their is healthier competition out there.

I might be wrong and I am definitely not an Apple hater.

Thanks for the replies

😁

09-10-15 04:21 AM
    The point I am trying to make is that when the rest of the mobile world copy they are sued for infringements, their products are banned from sales but Apple seem to get away with for most of the time.
    Well, that's a double-edged sword. Whose fault is it? Apple for copying or those who they copied for not protecting their own IP? If companies REALLY feel they've been copied then it's up to them to protect their IP. Also, you keep mentioning how Apple sues people and has their products banned but Apple rarely goes after anyone in the smartphone arena. Prime example: Xiaomi remains untouched by Apple despite being pretty much a 1:1 knock off. Their litigation in other areas though is pretty broad.

There's pretty much only three cases of where Apple went after other phone manufacturers Samsung, HTC and Nokia and aside from Samsung, the others were solved through proper licensing. Also not seeing your 'get away with it' point either, Apple has been sued many times and have had to pay up or come to proper terms.

If anything, your post promotes the idea that Apple gets away with it when really, they don't lol. They end up paying quite a bit in litigation and licensing fees. I get what you're saying and the point you're trying to make and as much as I might not agree with some of Apple's practices, the idea they don't get caught up in the end just isn't correct.
    09-10-15 04:40 AM
    Well, that's a double-edged sword. Whose fault is it? Apple for copying or those who they copied for not protecting their own IP? If companies REALLY feel they've been copied then it's up to them to protect their IP. Also, you keep mentioning how Apple sues people and has their products banned but Apple rarely goes after anyone in the smartphone arena. Their litigation in other areas though is pretty broad.

There's pretty much only three cases of where Apple went after other phone manufacturers Samsung, HTC and Nokia and aside from Samsung, the others were solved through proper licensing. Also not seeing your 'get away with it' point either, Apple has been sued many times and have had to pay up or come to proper terms.

If anything, your post promotes the idea that Apple gets away with it when really, they don't lol.
    Okay fair points made.

😁

09-10-15 04:45 AM
    I'm still not getting what exactly they copied from BB10 here. You seem to be pointing out a feature where the virtual keyboard area has a dual function as a trackpad. I have a Z30 and don't see anything like this. Are you relating it to the Passports physical keyboard that doubles as a trackpad? If so, there is no lawsuit to be had here.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 05:21 AM
    I'm still not getting what exactly they copied from BB10 here. You seem to be pointing out a feature where the virtual keyboard area has a dual function as a trackpad. I have a Z30 and don't see anything like this. Are you relating it to the Passports physical keyboard that doubles as a trackpad? If so, there is no lawsuit to be had here.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe no lawsuits but at least ppl should know that this concept where the keyboard is used as a trackpad was influenced and borrowed from the Blackberry Passport.

Also apparently there is another post raging on that Blackberry should sue Apple over their Force Touch technology:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1037590

09-10-15 05:35 AM
    Track navigation affords efficient precision finger tips can never match. Something legacy and Classic fans have always known. Something BBRY spent multiple years of wrecking themselves trying to forget.

Now that the mighty iApple recognizes & embraces the superiority of the concept, will BBRY capitalize on their head start? Not holding my breath.
    09-10-15 05:37 AM
    Track navigation affords efficient precision finger tips can never match. Something legacy and Classic fans have always known. Something BBRY spent multiple years of wrecking themselves trying to forget.

Now that the mighty iApple recognizes & embraces the superiority of the concept, will BBRY capitalize on their head start? Not holding my breath.
    Rofl

So true the RIM/ML/TH forgot what made them rich and famous. The pkb and track ball.

Bought a Q5 a last month and had it a week. I could not stand trying to edit without a track ball.

If the Q10 would have come out with a track belt BlackBerry wouldn't be on the bottom today.

PIN 829A "You're only known for the worst thing you do" DSO 1978
    09-10-15 05:47 AM
    If the Q10 would have come out with a track belt BlackBerry wouldn't be on the bottom today.
    I don't think that would have changed anything. The age of physical keyboards and trackpads is just over and BlackBerry is serving a niche market at this time.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 06:35 AM
    I don't think that would have changed anything. The age of physical keyboards and trackpads is just over and BlackBerry is serving a niche market at this time.

Posted via CB10
    Today it maybe. 3 -4 years ago don't think so. The wrong deigned Q10 stopped all 9900 users from making the switch to BB10OS. This would have helped BlackBerry maintain it's market share and time to develop new products and perfect the OS as we see today.

To little to late?

shoaib shah likes this.
    09-10-15 07:51 AM
    Don't forget that BB sued Ryan Seacrest and his Apple physical keyboard into the ground.
    shoaib shah likes this.
    09-10-15 09:59 AM
    Rofl

So true the RIM/ML/TH forgot what made them rich and famous. The pkb and track ball.

Bought a Q5 a last month and had it a week. I could not stand trying to edit without a track ball.

Classic is the Q10 that SHOULD have been, IMO. NOthing would have held back Apple but BB could be better positioned these days had they avoided abandoning EVERYthing that differentiated them. If mimicry were such a secret to success, the mighty Z30 should have buried Apple. It didn't. BB abandoned their proven formula BEFORE establishing success with iDroid mimicry. Stupid decision making, IMO.

NOW, Apple & Sammy are predictably reaching market saturation with their oversized glass. BB's "old school" track and pkb were ALLways right for a significant niche... Witness Typo? How significant? I'm old enough to remember when automatic transmissions were "the future". Clutch and sticks are still a significant automotive niche. Track and pkb will be a significant niche for quite a while... who knows WHAT the future of handhelds will look like.
    09-10-15 10:22 AM
    The first couple of versions of iOS didn't have cut and paste. It was ridiculous. They had an exposed weakness for others to take advantage of. Nobody really did - but RIM held their own because they had a much better text manipulation experience. Then iOS introduced cut and paste. Blackberry was still better at manipulating text, but the gap narrowed a lot. But for us power communicators, the Blackberry PKB or optimized VKB were still better, and Blackberry kept a segment of the professional market. Now, on the 8th generation phone, iOS is introducing what may be the final gap closing element of text manipulation. If they can implement a cursor/text manipulation experience that mirrors the track pad, they will have effectively eliminated the text manipulation benefits of the Blackberry. At least in my mind, this is as big a move for iOS as implementing cut and paste, and is very bad news for Blackberry.
    shoaib shah and LazyEvul like this.
    09-10-15 10:39 AM
    The first couple of versions of iOS didn't have cut and paste. It was ridiculous. They had an exposed weakness for others to take advantage of. Nobody really did - but RIM held their own because they had a much better text manipulation experience. Then iOS introduced cut and paste. Blackberry was still better at manipulating text, but the gap narrowed a lot. But for us power communicators, the Blackberry PKB or optimized VKB were still better, and Blackberry kept a segment of the professional market. Now, on the 8th generation phone, iOS is introducing what may be the final gap closing element of text manipulation. If they can implement a cursor/text manipulation experience that mirrors the track pad, they will have effectively eliminated the text manipulation benefits of the Blackberry. At least in my mind, this is as big a move for iOS as implementing cut and paste, and is very bad news for Blackberry.
    The best editing experience on an all touch phone has certainly been BlackBerry with their alt and drag, circle cursor, and long press actions being basically at par with the trackpad (at least to me).

While for some users this may be important, the evidence has already clearly shown it doesn't matter in the bigger picture.

Apple already has so many advantages over BlackBerry that implementing this trackpad feature doesn't even matter.

And having said features hasn't done anything for BlackBerry as their market share and sales have continually declined since 2011...

BlackBerry needs the ecosystem - that's it. Doesn't matter how many productive features they have or how great the OS is, people need apps and a great camera. That's basically it.

The fact that Windows is 3rd place shows how much BlackBerry never got it. The difference in the OS was night and day with BlackBerry being far far better and still no one wanted BlackBerry.

If they want to play in the consumer space - that's the answer. Android.

BlackBerry still has a lingering little reputation that they can leverage - if executed properly. If there's one thing people love is being different so the market is ripe for a new cool to emerge.

Maybe the Slider will be it as its a little retro which is always cool. But if the app and camera isn't on par with apple or samsung then BlackBerry is dead - it's their last and final chance.

Posted via CB10
    kirson likes this.
    09-10-15 11:00 AM
    The best editing experience on an all touch phone has certainly been BlackBerry with their alt and drag, circle cursor, and long press actions being basically at par with the trackpad (at least to me).

While for some users this may be important, the evidence has already clearly shown it doesn't matter in the bigger picture.

Apple already has so many advantages over BlackBerry that implementing this trackpad feature doesn't even matter.

And having said features hasn't done anything for BlackBerry as their market share and sales have continually declined since 2011...

BlackBerry needs the ecosystem - that's it. Doesn't matter how many productive features they have or how great the OS is, people need apps and a great camera. That's basically it.

The fact that Windows is 3rd place shows how much BlackBerry never got it. The difference in the OS was night and day with BlackBerry being far far better and still no one wanted BlackBerry.

If they want to play in the consumer space - that's the answer. Android.

BlackBerry still has a lingering little reputation that they can leverage - if executed properly. If there's one thing people love is being different so the market is ripe for a new cool to emerge.

Maybe the Slider will be it as its a little retro which is always cool. But if the app and camera isn't on par with apple or samsung then BlackBerry is dead - it's their last and final chance.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry double post please delete

Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 11:09 AM
    This is more like the Storm than any other BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 11:16 AM
    Personally, I can cut and paste just as well and maybe even better on my Z10 than my 9900. I really do not think that the iOS innovation is that big of a deal.

I hardly think that many consumers will be thinking of cut and paste when they buy their next phone.

Posted via CB10
    shoaib shah and kirson like this.
    09-10-15 11:30 AM
34 12