Hi everyone,

A little history: used a BlackBerry Bold 9650 on Sprint and a Bold 9930 from a period of 2010-2012. Loved the keyboard and the experience until more or less about that time, when the iPhone came out on Sprint and obliterated the network. Apps started slowly dropping support and when I switched to BBOS 7, the situation actually got worse, as many apps did not support the upgrade.

I hopped aboard the iPhone train in the middle of 2012 then switched to AT&T in 2013. Being on a network with actual data capacity was great and I watched the BB10 launch with excitement and trepidation. The Q10 looked promising, but I was worried about the longevity of the platform and support. Every so often, I dug out my old Bold, but the old OS could only go so far...if only there were a BB10 phone with a keyboard and buttons like the Bold...

Fast forward two years and here we are. BlackBerry is still around and the app situation has improved somewhat (Amazon store and this thing called 'Snap' I keep hearing about.)

I'm still with the iPhone, but I don't really think I'm the target audience. I follow tech, but I wouldn't describe myself as techie. I don't play games or even really apps in general - most of what I do is web browsing, news apps, email, messaging, and Wikipedia. I have never opened the music app or iTunes on my computer. I only glance through my Facebook and Twitter feeds to find interesting links. So far, the iPhone experience has been...tolerable. I really only use the camera as a point and shoot, and I don't use any filters or editing tools. I've turned off a lot of new "features" like the word suggestions and recent people because I find it rather obtrusive. Like I said, I live in the web browser, email, and text messenger apps. That being said, it's been stable and reliable, just like my BB was.

The Classic seems like a dream come true, to use a trite phrase. It has everything I loved about BB, and some great new features that were deal breakers before. I'm curious to know if anyone has gone the iPhone-to-BB10 route, or is considering it, and maybe has a similar use case to mine? What's your experience been or what are you hoping it'll be? It's been years since I've browsed on a tinier screen than my 5s, so I'm sure I'd check one out in person before I committed. But, smartphones move fast. I just can't see myself spending $700+ on an iPhone next fall unless there really isn't a decent alternative for me. Android seems like a buggy mess.

There are those of us who don't want a "pocket distraction device" for every awkward lull in a conversation or every two minute of silence...something tells me that we are few in numbers but our lives are better for it.

Cheers
    nathanielonfire
    j556, rarsen and Kennedy.L like this.
    12-27-14 02:49 PM
    nice story.....you need to test one more than few minutes if you have never used BB 10 OS before cause there is a learning curve to it...I would say big learning curve.. Once you know how to work with OS 10 then it is very enjoyable
    12-27-14 02:57 PM
    With the introduction again of the toolbelt I dont think there is a learning curve anymore. As there is a button for function and there is a back button for exiting.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 03:01 PM
    nice story.....you need to test one more than few minutes if you have never used BB 10 OS before cause there is a learning curve to it...I would say big learning curve.. Once you know how to work with OS 10 then it is very enjoyable
    Honestly the learning curve is overplayed. I switched from Android to BB10 and I figured it out in about 2 days. Swipe up to minimize apps, and left to get to the Hub. It's pretty trivial if you just embrace that it's different from what you're coming from.

OP: yes, make the switch. The Classic sounds like it'll work for you.

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    12-27-14 03:03 PM
    Honestly the learning curve is overplayed. I switched from Android to BB10 and I figured it out in about 2 days. Swipe up to minimize apps, and left to get to the Hub. It's pretty trivial if you just embrace that it's different from what you're coming from.

Posted via CB10
    ok,,,,different to what you were using before then...lol
    12-27-14 03:08 PM
    With the introduction again of the toolbelt I dont think there is a learning curve anymore. As there is a button for function and there is a back button for exiting.

Posted via CB10
    as oppose to BBOS...yes there is...one has to learn of to work with a new OS
    12-27-14 03:10 PM
    I wouldn't say the learning curve is steep for OS 10. The interface is really well thought out and quick to learn. Reminds me a lot of what Web OS could have been. When I pick up an iphone or android now I feel lost. Put another way my 9 year old son used my Androids all the time. He picked up my passport and was like dad this is really cool and was off to the races. Play with the phone and read the forums and you will be flying in no time.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 03:49 PM
    I am coming from iphone 5, and it is a little hard for me as I am a luddite. But I love, love, love my Classic in comparison. Nathaniel I think you will like the Classic. If you lived nearby, I would lend you mine for a couple of days.
    HarrisonArcher likes this.
    12-27-14 04:23 PM
    Aww, thanks for the offer kitmo.

Thanks for the pointers, everyone. I'm not too concerned about the interface and gestures. Like anything, I'll adjust. My biggest concerns are email and browsing.

On BBOS, emails came in and were sent super fast. But any complicated image-laden HTML email (think Amazon confirmations or newsletters) sometimes rendered as garbled messes. OS 6 and 7 mitigated this somewhat, but I'm curious to know if they show up better on BB10.

As for browsing, does the browser return mobile sites by default? Desktop? Can you change the behavior from the default?
    12-27-14 04:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely agree and your last sentence is so true. You have to want to learn something that's new or you'll always be critical of it.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    Last edited by Carmels; 12-27-14 at 10:27 PM.
    ponpiri likes this.
    12-27-14 05:06 PM
    I made the switch and don't miss a thing.
    If anything, not having to charge your device every 8 hours will be a good change for you.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 05:21 PM
    as oppose to BBOS...yes there is...one has to learn of to work with a new OS
    What is there to learn? They made the Classic to be literally a near-replacement of the 9900, etc. You could operate the phone in nearly the same way as a BBOS phone for the most part, and the very, very few new "tricks" can be picked up in a few minutes.
    12-27-14 06:03 PM
    I am coming from iphone 5, and it is a little hard for me as I am a luddite. But I love, love, love my Classic in comparison. Nathaniel I think you will like the Classic. If you lived nearby, I would lend you mine for a couple of days.
    What a nice gesture to loan your phone. I also came directly from OS7/Bold/9900. I still like the 9900 but the OS and hardware is to dated. I have been on this device for six days and the only bumps in the road was loading SNAP and the microSD card. I solved the up load of Snap by using vnBB10. Once Snap is loaded the upload is easy. There are some apps that lag so I just delete them and upload another. Don't know why the miroSD by SanDisk Extreme Pro would not load so I just installed a different brand.

After six days I'm liking this more and more. Lots of options with Snap and vnBB10. Hopefully the next OS upgrade will take a few bugs out.

Dean
    12-27-14 06:04 PM
    What is there to learn? They made the Classic to be literally a near-replacement of the 9900, etc. You could operate the phone in nearly the same way as a BBOS phone for the most part, and the very, very few new "tricks" can be picked up in a few minutes.
    BTW
    Thanks for having the link to load SNAP. I struggled for 2 days before using your site (via Slagman5)

Dean
    12-27-14 06:08 PM
    I think I've just had bad luck with phone batteries. My 9650 lasted two days on OS 5 and about a day and a half on OS 6. The 9930 barely made it through a day (cost of thinness?)

Here's hoping the Classic lives up to the reviews.
    12-27-14 06:13 PM

Thanks for the pointers, everyone. I'm not too concerned about the interface and gestures. Like anything, I'll adjust. My biggest concerns are email and browsing.

On BBOS, emails came in and were sent super fast. But any complicated image-laden HTML email (think Amazon confirmations or newsletters) sometimes rendered as garbled messes. OS 6 and 7 mitigated this somewhat, but I'm curious to know if they show up better on BB10.

As for browsing, does the browser return mobile sites by default? Desktop? Can you change the behavior from the default?
    I am not a Classic user but I have a Z10. With OS 10.3.1 so OS experience is somewhat the same.
    My experience with email is that it loads quite fast, also the images. No problems at all. The Web browser by default displays Web pages in the mobile format but there actually is an option to change this to desktop format (turn desktop mode on/off).

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 06:16 PM
    best reviews you can have are here but you have to look for the right one
    12-27-14 06:16 PM
    It's nice to read come back story of many users from iPhone. I too was tempted several times to shift to iPhone but hub, emails and keypad are stopping factors.
    Forever option in email configuration gives me feel of laptop in my pocket. I can see any mail even 4-5 yrs without any hassels.

Prithvi, Z30 thru CB10
    12-27-14 06:23 PM
    I am not a Classic user but I have a Z10. With OS 10.3.1 so OS experience is somewhat the same.
    My experience with email is that it loads quite fast, also the images. No problems at all. The Web browser by default displays Web pages in the mobile format but there actually is an option to change this to desktop format (turn desktop mode on/off).

Posted via CB10
    What bozz said.
    bozzg86 likes this.
    12-27-14 06:38 PM

Yup, those kinds of emails will render no problem on BB10. And they'll come in just as fast as ever.

And yes, the browser returns mobile sites by default. You can change it to desktop mode in the settings.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 06:46 PM
    The hub and browser are light-years ahead of the old BlackBerry 6/7 OS.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    12-27-14 06:53 PM
    Great! I'm super excited! Thank you everyone!

I went into the AT&T store today and they didn't know when they would be getting the BlackBerry Classic...not much interest it seemed.

I'll check around for a few more reviews. It seems like most professional reviews either focus on the lack of apps or the nostalgia factor. Other reviews say it's a great upgrade for Bold/Curve owners, but not really worth switching from Android or iOS...but of course, everyone likes different things.
    bozzg86 likes this.
    12-27-14 07:10 PM
    Just having BlackBerry Blend, remote access, file management, ease of email attachments, the Hub, StoryMaker, keyboard shortcuts, HDMI, non sandboxed NFC and Bluetooth, DLNA, USB2GO, expandable memory, clear call quality, long battery life, a non bendable phone, a clean UI and QNX platform makes it worth switching from the iOS platform. And I am a heavy media user on my phone with three music playlists and tons of videos made with StoryMaker. So, it does more than just emails, calls and messaging.
    12-27-14 11:39 PM
    what he/she said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    12-27-14 11:58 PM
    Make the move to BB10. You won't regret it. There are a few options for you as well, with the Z30 and Passport also being available.

Hope you join the team!

Posted from my  BlackBerry Z30
    12-28-14 12:19 AM
59 123