I've had the Classic for 4 days and I'm really trying to make it work because I love the keyboard and other productivity features. I used BB's for many years and probably had 10 or more of them before switching. For the last 6 years I have been bouncing back and forth between iPhone and Android.

I won't go into a long list of the BB's benefits and shortcoming compared to the competition, I just want to find out if there are workarounds for the things that are deal breakers for me. I'll start with the most important one - Dropbox.

The Dropbox app takes over a minute to load, doesn't have a search feature I could find, it doesn't appear you can add things to Dropbox with the share menu, and drilling down into folders requires extra wait time. Frankly it is unusable for my purposes and Dropbox is an essential tool in my workflow.

Is there any kind of workaround to using Dropbox like a 3rd party app, or another product with a workable app for BB?
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-01-15 12:49 PM
    probably someone will chime in as I don't use drop box.
    01-01-15 12:54 PM
    I use Dropbox daily. It works great for storing and sharing. But I don't see a search feature either.

BleedBlk-
    01-01-15 12:59 PM
    Maybe use Box. That app works pretty good to me. It doesn't have a search option either but it loads fine.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    01-01-15 01:16 PM
    Maybe the search hidden in the 3 dots when you are in the app
    Just a thought

From Classic
    01-01-15 02:07 PM
    There is an app called Connect to Dropbox. It came on my phone natively.
    BB10 actually has Dropbox integration within the OS. Once you connect to Dropbox, you have the option of saving anything on your phone directly to it.

I'm not sure I understand your problem..

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 02:12 PM
    When I go into the File Manager and click on the overflow menu, I see this:

I'm really trying here.-img_20150101_151400.png

Of course, you can search for anything within the file manager, so once you have selected Dropbox as your folder, you can just search within it.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    01-01-15 02:14 PM
    The biggest drawbacks for the File Manager is the lack of search for online storages and no select-all

What you can do is download the android version if you're not satisfied with the file manager's extention

You can use Snap, GPS by Cobalt, Amazon app store, aptoide or any other source

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 02:15 PM
    Maybe the search hidden in the 3 dots when you are in the app
    Just a thought

From Classic
    I don't see it for Dropbox, do you on your phone?
    01-01-15 07:29 PM
    There is an app called Connect to Dropbox. It came on my phone natively.
    BB10 actually has Dropbox integration within the OS. Once you connect to Dropbox, you have the option of saving anything on your phone directly to it.

I'm not sure I understand your problem..

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, I do see the Connect to Dropbox in the share menu. The problems remains that it takes a minute or more for Dropbox to load so that I can save a file.
    01-01-15 07:38 PM
    When I go into the File Manager and click on the overflow menu, I see this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150101_151400.png 
Views:	1249 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	324676

Of course, you can search for anything within the file manager, so once you have selected Dropbox as your folder, you can just search within it.

Posted via CB10

Would you check that on your phone please? When I select Dropbox there is no "search" to choose. I can search on the device's files, but not Dropbox. Perhaps I'm missing something.
    01-01-15 07:39 PM
    The biggest drawbacks for the File Manager is the lack of search for online storages and no select-all

What you can do is download the android version if you're not satisfied with the file manager's extention

You can use Snap, GPS by Cobalt, Amazon app store, aptoide or any other source

Posted via CB10

I searched the Amazon app store for Dropbox and it doesn't show up. I already have Dropbox installed on the phone, it just has the problems I described in the original post. Are you suggesting their is a different version of Dropbox I can install that will work better than the one that came preloaded on the Classic?
    01-01-15 07:42 PM
    I was mistaken. You can't search Dropbox on the phone. The option disappears when I switch from device to Dropbox.

I don't have any lag at all though when saving or retrieving from Dropbox. I am on a Passport though...

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 09:54 PM
    Once you add your dropbox account to your phone, universal search works on it the same as any other folder, at least it does for me.

I do notice a lag on dropbox, but I am usually in a low signal area, so I pin my dropbox to my phone, so all files are local to the phone, and it syncs periodically. That should help your lag.

I don't understand the complaints about not searching for everything? Unless you have turned off some options in the assistant, or some other one that I don't know about, any file on your phone will show up in a search from the home screen, just type the name, or some part of it.

EDITED: I just played around with mine some more, to doublecheck sharing and searching options, and yes dropbox is being very slow, especially drilling down through folders.

OP, that is not normal behavior, especially if the folders are pinned, either this is a dropbox issue right now, or this software version has a bug?
    Last edited by momofteme; 01-01-15 at 10:31 PM.
    01-01-15 10:20 PM
    I also use Dropbox for all my shared between devices files. For some reason it is very slow on all 10.3.1.x OS versions. Haven't tried the latest leak only, but I had this issue on 1151 and 1154. On 10.2.x it runs fine. Next OS updates will fix it, hopefully. It's definitely not the Dropbox service, it's the BB10 OS. Same applies for OneDrive integration. Very slow on 10.3.1.x releases.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 01:45 AM
    Maybe i understand it wrong, but when I open the connect to Dropbox app and hit the blue dot below, I have all the maps i saved on Dropbox.
    I'm really trying here.-img_20150102_085232.png

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 01:55 AM
    I use the android version. Works perfect.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 07:20 AM
    I use Box. I got it during the promo for 50gb of storage.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    01-02-15 07:30 AM