I upgraded from my Q10 to the Passport a month ago and loved it but it was just too big for me, I missed the Q10 form factor and keyboard. Naturally as soon as the Classic was released I bought it and although I loved it the fist day and I really wanted to continue to love it, it all went downhill from there.

I can't imagine anyone coming from a Q10 who would like this phone, the trackpad is useless to me on the gesture based OS, everything is so much slower with the toolbelt. It's so much easier and faster to just use gestures. After using BB10 for almost two years this phone is a MAJOR step backward for me.

Some say specs don't matter, but seriously?? A new phone with two year old specs? Of course it matters. This phone is slow as molasses in opening Android apps and even when I open my native Pictures app for example I literally have to stare at a blank screen for about 8-10 seconds until the photos start showing up. Inexcusable. My Passport does NOT have this issue.

Basically, I can only see people who upgraded from their 9900 being maybe happy with this.

So where does that leave us Q10 users? Passport is too big for me as a phone, I am not into the whole phablet thing and the Classic is a downgrade in terms of the toolbelt is not needed and the specs suck. I guess back to the huge Passport it is. I thought I would love the classic but I'd rather put up with the Passport's size issue then all the Classic's shortcomings..

Uch.
    12-21-14 03:49 PM
    I feel the same.
    Cannot understand why BlackBerry is build up so low specs in this device.

Slow Android, bad loading pictures and so on

Also the toolbelt is a nice to have, but iam much faster on using gestures.

My passport is fast enough but very big.

Next problem: iam out of ram on device and cannot install apps anymore.

Passport specs and no toolbelt on this device with nearly 4 inch screen would be a burner.

Posted via CB10
    Chrisy and keepit dry like this.
    12-21-14 03:53 PM
    Passport specs and no toolbelt on this device with nearly 4 inch screen would be a burner.
    This.
    mousse04, Jeffm63, ponpiri and 2 others like this.
    12-21-14 04:09 PM
    no^^^^^^
    12-21-14 04:14 PM
    I understood that the Classic was going to please people who were not the rev'ed up finger swiping users. More the business user--versus the young super charged impatient gotta have it right now types. No offense meant, but I wouldn't have thought that the fast fingered swipers would have bought the phone in the first place.
    12-21-14 04:35 PM
    Hence my point that Q10 users have nowhere to go from here

Posted via CB10
    keepit dry likes this.
    12-21-14 04:37 PM
    I do understand what you are saying phantomtech. Sorry for your disappointment.
    12-21-14 04:41 PM
    How do you change the date from appearing in the middle of the screen? It ruins my cool wallpapers.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 04:48 PM
    What's wrong with your Q10? If there wasn't a Classic out I'd be fine with using this phone for a while.
    12-21-14 06:11 PM
    people who want the toool-belt are going to buy it anyway and they will probably not care about older specs owing to experience with their older phones. so, looks like, BB thought, why not save some money where you can. smart move, if you ask me! but i'm waiting for take 2 of this device and hopefully then they don't have to skimp on specs so badly. either way, i'm gonna get one as soon as i can afford one, because phone is all but communicator to me! i'm sure, i'll be more than content with it.
    acovey and mk2234 like this.
    12-21-14 09:24 PM
    I upgraded from my Q10 to the Passport a month ago and loved it but it was just too big for me, I missed the Q10 form factor and keyboard. Naturally as soon as the Classic was released I bought it and although I loved it the fist day and I really wanted to continue to love it, it all went downhill from there.

I can't imagine anyone coming from a Q10 who would like this phone, the trackpad is useless to me on the gesture based OS, everything is so much slower with the toolbelt. It's so much easier and faster to just use gestures. After using BB10 for almost two years this phone is a MAJOR step backward for me.

Some say specs don't matter, but seriously?? A new phone with two year old specs? Of course it matters. This phone is slow as molasses in opening Android apps and even when I open my native Pictures app for example I literally have to stare at a blank screen for about 8-10 seconds until the photos start showing up. Inexcusable. My Passport does NOT have this issue.

Basically, I can only see people who upgraded from their 9900 being maybe happy with this.

So where does that leave us Q10 users? Passport is too big for me as a phone, I am not into the whole phablet thing and the Classic is a downgrade in terms of the toolbelt is not needed and the specs suck. I guess back to the huge Passport it is. I thought I would love the classic but I'd rather put up with the Passport's size issue then all the Classic's shortcomings..

Uch.
    Why don't you just gesture over the toolbelt? I don't disagree with your points but none of them really address how they effect you practically. I understand being bummed about the specs and not understanding why the toolbelt is back, but didn't you know that before ordering the device?

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 09:29 PM
    No its not faster or easier to use gestures. A phone is a communication tool and not a toy.

I don't think the specs are that bad yeah, they aren't great but neither are those of the q10, the PP had great discs but lacks the toolbelt and removable battery.

So like someone said wait for version two of both phones
    function_analys and mfurman like this.
    12-21-14 09:38 PM
    No its not faster or easier to use gestures. A phone is a communication tool and not a toy.

I don't think the specs are that bad yeah, they aren't great but neither are those of the q10, the PP had great discs but lacks the toolbelt and removable battery.

So like someone said wait for version two of both phones
    Even though I'm not seeing the OP point, I do agree with him on the gestures. It's silly to say the trackpad is faster. It's faster on a few things like text selection and cursor placement, but for the most part it takes longer to keep swiping and pressing.

It's also silly to suggest gestures are for "toys". I do mostly work on my z30 and all I can use is gestures and the only place I miss the trackpad is when emailing. So I don't see how it would be implied that gestures are for toys.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and robert_in_la like this.
    12-21-14 09:54 PM
    LMFAO.. What eactly makes the q10 users the "losers"? If you dont like the passport or the classic and like your q10, just keep using the godarn q10. The passport is freaking awesome and the classic is a power user not "gaming" users phone. If the phone is not for you it doesnt mean its not for someone else. There are 6 blackberry 10 devices to choose from all the bases are covered. Pick the one you like and use it, if not stop crying and move to another device...
    12-21-14 09:57 PM
    I agree with some of your points.

That being said, my classic loads a lot of the same android apps as my Passport in just about the same amount of time.

Lag is definitely not an issue here. That being said, I don't use any games. Just social media apps

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 10:07 PM
    The Classic wasn't designed for existing BB10 users. It was designed to bring over the holdout Legacy users to BB10. Once you get that through your head, it makes sense that they did what they did. If specs mattered to legacy users, they would have switched to something else long ago. Price is what matters, and while some might argue that $450 is too much for the phone, it's a pretty decent price for a phone right out of the gate. You can get this for $50 on contract! Not many new phones offer that. The R&D that went into making the trackpad work on BB10 doesn't come for free, and neither does designing the phone. You can't expect the same price as the Q10, even if the specs are similar. You're getting a brand new phone that comes with an OS that is, at least officially, exclusive to that device, as well as the promise that the phone will be supported for the foreseeable future, unlike the Q10, which is swiftly reaching its end of life and support.

So really, it doesn't make sense to complain about the pricing or the specs. If you're not a legacy user, the phone wasn't designed for you. Sure, it would be nice if you used it and spent the money on it, but you're not the target demographic if you use another BB10 device.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    12-21-14 10:08 PM
  17. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    LMFAO.. What eactly makes the q10 users the "losers"? If you dont like the passport or the classic and like your q10, just keep using the godarn q10. The passport is freaking awesome and the classic is a power user not "gaming" users phone. If the phone is not for you it doesnt mean its not for someone else. There are 6 blackberry 10 devices to choose from all the bases are covered. Pick the one you like and use it, if not stop crying and move to another device...
    This!!! Omg so many babies on CB now... or preachers... lol

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 10:09 PM
    Gestures for speed. Trackpad for precision. Seems like a good combination to me. As for the specs, that's a different issue.
    12-21-14 10:25 PM

Uch.
    Sorry disagree with you on all counts. Except I would have preferred Z30 internals but are not necessary. I moved from Q10 and can't imagine going back. I use gestures all the time but there were few things that bugged me that are all solved with the tool belt.

And there are some upgrades. Screen size, screen quality, battery, tool belt (even though you don't like it). Just because the cpu is Q10 doesn't make it old specs. Apple has upgraded some specs but still has 1Gb memory in the 6 and people are still buying.

In fact I am thinking there will be no iteration of Q10. And why would they? You can do everything a Q10 does (meaning not use the tool belt if you don't want to) and more.

You may have to wait for Classic 2 for better specs and use the passport till then.

Posted Via The Classic
    acovey likes this.
    12-21-14 10:33 PM
    Even though I'm not seeing the OP point, I do agree with him on the gestures. It's silly to say the trackpad is faster. It's faster on a few things like text selection and cursor placement, but for the most part it takes longer to keep swiping and pressing.

It's also silly to suggest gestures are for "toys". I do mostly work on my z30 and all I can use is gestures and the only place I miss the trackpad is when emailing. So I don't see how it would be implied that gestures are for toys.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah but what is the most important thing for a communication tool? Right text so selecting, typing and key shortcuts become are becoming priority number 1. anyone you think Samsung has worked so hard to let the same own act like a mouse? Because even on android text selection sucked.

I dint disagree with your second part that swiping and pressing take longer that's why I would prefer a trackpad on all of my devices.

Well I only used the toy term because us legacy users are often portrait in a very stupid way. I know very well that rock devices can be used for work too but in terms of simply getting the job done nothing beats a bold with short cut me and my hotkeys (4 functions for each button and can even do macros
    12-21-14 10:42 PM
    Now you guys understand why people keep asking "where is my Z50?" question. We all loved one device (for some Z10, for some Q10, and for some Z30) and wish BlackBerry keeps investing resource on that device line, when BlackBerry invests on something else you feel the gen 2 you long for is taken away.

Do you think BlackBerry is again getting too fragmented?

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151
    12-21-14 10:46 PM
    Hence my point that Q10 users have nowhere to go from here

Posted via CB10
    I spend a lot of time copy/pasting which I find to be very slow on a Q10, this is my main reason to get the classic... android apps are slow to open on a Q10, are they slower on the classic? I can live with that if copy/pasting is as efficient as on the 9900

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    12-21-14 10:56 PM

Uch.
    Um, you're not supposed to use the trackpad to replace the gestures. The gestures control the gestures, the trackpad does what it does best, the small precision control needed to do things such as:
    -Clicking on small links on websites that are not designed for mobile devices. Sometimes trying to click on small links using the touchscreen just infuriates me. It's embarrassing but I've literally yelled at my phone in anger before because I'm trying to click on a link and am either missing it or touching another link instead...
    -Websites with menus that require mouse hover to uncover, where clicking will just bring you to the category page, while hovering the mouse over will drop down the sub-menu so you can select the specific page you want.
    -Selecting text for copy and paste. Yes if the word is conveniently by itself you can simply long press. Or if it's conveniently in the middle of the screen placing the cursor isn't that hard. But when you need to start the selection from the edge of the screen or edge of a text box, especially if it's a form field or login field where if you click too close to the right side you'll accidentally hit the "x" and delete everything...
    -Highlighting a specific email or item to edit instead of needing to longpress first.

But things like peeking into the hub, moving between pages of apps, of course use the touchscreen and the gestures... This is about combining both worlds, not trying to replace one with another...
    12-21-14 11:16 PM
    The Classic was all about margins and making money for BB. They underspec'd the phone with old HW and are selling it at a higher price point than the HW warrants. But does it matter when the majority of Classic purchases will be bulk orders made by enterprises that don't care about specs (and cost either as it's company money being spent)? No, it doesn't matter. This phone was not intended for developing markets either. People in developing markets are not clinging to their old curves for the keyboard, but for BIS which the Classic does not offer.
    tilapya likes this.
    12-21-14 11:47 PM
    Passport II

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 12:00 AM
174 123 ...