I think BlackBerry will be done with phones.

I can't see them pouring more money into the pit.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30
    02-07-15 10:28 AM

You may be correct. If that happens, I will go back to a pager and quarters for pay phones.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 10:37 AM
    There were many threads like this at Blackberry 10 launch with Q10 and z10, and z30....
    Lameeee same story for 2-3 years.
    Hater everywhere

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    02-07-15 10:37 AM

Thank you for that indepth analysis. Now if it can be something more recent than the last few years...

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    Aaron Marcinkowski and acovey like this.
    02-07-15 11:12 AM
    Don't worry, BlackBerry as a software company like SEGA is very strong.

Worst comes to worst and they have to exit the hardware business they will simply move to all-touch and like the HTC M8 where you have 1 device with the choice of the Android or Windows version you will hypothetically have a third choice, the BlackBerry version.

For hardware keyboard fans yeah that would suck, but we'll see right?

Posted via CB10
    SC9530 likes this.
    02-07-15 11:17 AM
    And I will be fine with it for a few years with my Passport at hand.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2243
    chris8189 likes this.
    02-07-15 01:03 PM
    BlackBerry is like the SEGA of devices. I like how I'm not the only one to think of that.

BlackBerry brought web and email to mobile.
    SEGA brought web and email to game consoles.

Think about all the innovation that SEGA made happen. The NetLink feature Sega Saturn had in 1996 with web and email support. Dreamcast's PlanetWeb browser had web and email support, but also supported IRC, Flash 3.0, and Java in 1998. Not to mention all the innovative concepts like a TV tuner for GameGear and the Dreamcast Visual Memory Unit. BlackBerry did many new things no one else was doing just as SEGA did.

Whether BlackBerry will end up software only like SEGA is yet to be seen, but both of their innovation was years ahead of their time. It would be a waste for BlackBerry to lose a polished OS that got the same attention to detail that their security has. Features that no other platform can offer, that only us BlackBerry users can appreciate, and will probably never find elsewhere if it isn't there already. They only fail when they forget the mindset and that got them where they are.
    chris8189 likes this.
    02-07-15 04:00 PM
    ^^Nice post^^ and very true. Browsing the web and having email access on the Dreamcast was cool back in the day.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic (10.3.1.2243)
    SC9530 likes this.
    02-07-15 04:24 PM
    It depends what you mean by "good sales." Every company has a different sales volume they need to sell in order to consider the product a success and worth continuing. Who knows what that number is for the Classic? Or any other of their phones.

I don't see BlackBerry abandoning their mobile phones any time soon. So far, Chen is doing a good job of making BlackBerry profitable. Hopefully BlackBerry can sell enough units to stay in the game. If they continue to release unique phones (Passport, Classic) I think they will do well.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 04:33 PM
    Thank you for that indepth analysis. Now if it can be something more recent than the last few years...

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    Hahahaha lol

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 08:47 PM
    I don't think Blackberry is going anywhere. There is still a place for them albeit small. It does seem however that people at least some who I run across seem more receptive towards Blackberry than in previous years. It doesn't meet by any sense of the word that Blackberry is going to be anywhere near as relevant as before but I do think their market share will rise more than it is now. It is my every hope that Blackberry makes a small comeback but to do that I think they need to come out with more devices sooner then they do now. I think once a year there needs to be a conference where Blackberry shows they can still innovate and showcase their new products that push the envelope of what they are good at. It seems though as of late they try to stay in their comfort zone in terms of specs and devices. I believe they can still push their abilities in regards to devise while still maintaining what makes them special and keeps their current customer base.
    02-07-15 09:03 PM
    Chen said the breakeven for phones is 10 million. They really only have 2 and 1/2 devices to reach that target, Classic, Passport and Z3 in limited markets.

Passport is a niche market phone so the bulk of the sales has to be the Classic or they need a slider or a new all touch launched and selling by September.

Otherwise he may just have to wind the handset business down.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 09:08 PM