Verizon has been crippling their latest devices in terms of not having the proper radios to have simultaneous voice and data. The Droid Turbo, Moto X and iphones have no ability to do this without WiFi. If you are on a call, no data without WiFi. Verizon is trying to force all new phones to use their VoLTE network and I'll be very disappointed if this happens with the Classic.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Q10
    11-21-14 08:00 PM
    Interesting. Is their voLTE even up and running yet?
    11-21-14 08:30 PM
    I thought the iPhone 6 and 6+ supported simultaneous VoLTE and data? Have no source for this, just thought it was possible.....is it not?
    Being capable of something and said thing actually happening are two different issues. Case in point: all BB10 phones that can be used on T-Mobile are WiFi calling capable, but only one model each of the Q10 and Z10 are allowed by TMO to use the feature.
    11-22-14 12:12 AM
    I thought the iPhone 6 and 6+ supported simultaneous VoLTE and data? Have no source for this, just thought it was possible.....is it not?
    It does. I bought my wife the iPhone 6 she wanted and it comes with instructions on how to set it up. Nothing special, just change some settings. I also recently bought my Mom a new iPhone 5s and it does not offer it.
    11-22-14 09:00 AM
    All I can say is that it works great with my z30.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 09:11 AM
    It does. I bought my wife the iPhone 6 she wanted and it comes with instructions on how to set it up. Nothing special, just change some settings. I also recently bought my Mom a new iPhone 5s and it does not offer it.
    It does not work on the Verizon network yet. Though it is supposed to be coming soon. You cannot do voice and data simultaneously on the iPhone over the Verizon network at this time and no changing the phone's settings is going to change that fact.
    11-22-14 11:05 AM
    so...the new phones are VoLTE only? or they have programing in them to cut off the LTE when in a voice call...

Because unlike ATT that build date+talk into their network GSM we only got voice and talk when LTE got turned on, as voice was CDMA and LTE was only data.... but I guess now that VoLTE is turned on it can't do both and takes precedence over using CDMA for voice.

Kinda dumb that all networks are like "we can't do unlimited data bc the strain!" and then "let's use VoLTE over CDMA!" aka more strain onto their LTE networks...

Just tested my wife's IP6 and nope! But my Q10 is good

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 11:49 AM
    Only the Moto X and Droid Turbo have been hampered by this issue. Sounds like verizon has been forcing manufacturers to just eliminate the radio that allows data while on a call. VoLTE is currently available on the Galaxy s5, iPhone 6, 6+, LG G2 and note 4. These phones still have two radios, Ne for voice and one for data.

The X (2014) and droid Turbo are supposed to get software updates in December to activate the VoLTE capabilities to then allow voice and data, because they only have the single radio.

It will be really disappointing if the Classic is in that same boat. The other problem with VoLTE is that calls won't roam from tower to tower. If you leave that tower, your call will drop. I'm sure they'll fix that but that's how it works right now.

raino likes this.
    11-22-14 06:18 PM
    Interesting. Is their voLTE even up and running yet?
    I don't think Verizon has even started this yet. The last update on their rollout plans for VoLTE was given in May of this year.
    11-22-14 06:25 PM
    I don't think Verizon has even started this yet. The last update on their rollout plans for VoLTE was given in May of this year.
    They have. It's been running for at least a few months. Several devices can already utilize VoLTE and I've read threads on androidcentral in the galaxy s5 forums that the call quality, when talking to another verizon user with VoLTE, is phenomenal.

11-22-14 06:32 PM
    They have. It's been running for at least a few months. Several devices can already utilize VoLTE and I've read threads on androidcentral in the galaxy s5 forums that the call quality, when talking to another verizon user with VoLTE, is phenomenal.
    IMO they should have waited. Sounds like voLTE is more likely to be not deployed than otherwise, so they should have just let the LTE data+CDMA voice setup stay until every site (or a significant majority) had gone up.

On the bright side, if the Verizon Classic is voLTE capable, it will most likely be WiFi calling capable too, when that comes to Verizon.
    11-22-14 08:02 PM
    Has it been announced that verizon is even getting the classic?

Posted via CB10
    Marlon06 likes this.
    11-22-14 08:16 PM
    IMO they should have waited. Sounds like voLTE is more likely to be not deployed than otherwise, so they should have just let the LTE data+CDMA voice setup stay until every site (or a significant majority) had gone up.
    Agree completely. They were too early trying to force this switch to VoLTE.

11-22-14 08:17 PM
    Has it been announced that verizon is even getting the classic?

Posted via CB10
    No, but the Verizon model passed through the fcc approvals same day as the others. Tuesday I think?

11-22-14 08:18 PM
    No, but the Verizon model passed through the fcc approvals same day as the others. Tuesday I think?
    I think you're talking about the AT&T model? I just did a quick check for the Verizon one, nothing shows up.
    11-22-14 08:20 PM
    I think you're talking about the AT&T model? I just did a quick check for the Verizon one, nothing shows up.
    Sixth post in - thurask

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=977376

11-22-14 08:27 PM
    Right. He generally gets them from the OS, not the FCC. AFAIK only the AT&T, the general NA and maybe the ROW models have been through the FCC.

That being said, two Verizon-specific SKUs can only tip the scale in favor of the device coming out...
    11-22-14 08:35 PM
    Right. He generally gets them from the OS, not the FCC. AFAIK only the AT&T, the general NA and maybe the ROW models have been through the FCC.

That being said, two Verizon-specific SKUs can only tip the scale in favor of the device coming out...
    No idea -I just go with what he said.

11-22-14 08:45 PM