If this issue has been discussed somewhere, please feel free to direct me to the thread. I did some searching but didn't find anything.

I have brand new kick-*** hearing aids that use a bluetooth device to link with my BB Classic. Better than any bluetooth headset I ever used.

So I'm walking along and my phone is in my purse (shoulder bag). My phone rings and I hit the answer button on my bluetooth thingie, which I wear around my neck.. Apparently answering the call has caused the screen to become awakened and active, because I hear beeps when the phone's keypad bumps around in the outside pocket of my purse. Then I have to fish around for the phone and pull it out, which defeats the purpose of using a handsfree device.

Like someone on another thread I just read, I want the phone to wake up (screen and device) ONLY when I either press the button on the top of the phone or answer an incoming call on the phone itself (not my bluetooth gadget). I always hit the button on the top of the phone when I set the phone down or put it in my purse or a pocket, and I have preferences set now so that it doesn't wake up when I get an email or a text message. But it still wakes up when I get a phone call.

And if anyone is still reading, can someone explain to me the precise difference between locking the screen and locking the device? Thank you.

ETA: I'd be fine with using a holster, if there's one that will let me pull the phone out without pressing any of the buttons on the side. I miss my Bold.
    05-21-15 05:56 PM
    There is a setting in your phone app to turn on hearing aid mode and helps with capability. Have you done that.
    05-21-15 06:03 PM
    This sounds much like the "pocket dialling" issue. The solution is to require a Device Password and use the the Power Button to lock the screen.
    05-21-15 07:49 PM
    There is a setting in your phone app to turn on hearing aid mode and helps with capability. Have you done that.
    Hearing aid mode is for hearing aids equipped with a telecoil--it's to boost volume. My hearing aids function just like a bluetooth earpiece (like two of them, actually). The problem I'm experiencing is not related to the use of hearing aids. It's related to answering handsfree and having my phone become active while it's bouncing around in my purse.

This sounds much like the "pocket dialling" issue. The solution is to require a Device Password and use the the Power Button to lock the screen.
    THIS is my problem-- pocket dialing.

When I hit the power button (which is the same as the "end call" button, right?) I do not get an option to lock the screen. I get "shutting down your phone in 3-2-1" and "restart" and "cancel."
    05-21-15 08:18 PM
    Hearing aid mode is for hearing aids equipped with a telecoil--it's to boost volume. My hearing aids function just like a bluetooth earpiece (like two of them, actually).

THIS is my problem-- pocket dialing.

When I hit the power button (which is the same as the "end call" button, right?) I do not get an option to lock the screen. I get "shutting down your phone in 3-2-1" and "restart" and "cancel."
    He means go into settings and enable password to open device.
    05-21-15 08:19 PM
    He means go into settings and enable password to open device.
    I got that part, but I'm saying that when I press the power button or the lock button on the top of the phone, I do not get the option to lock the phone. I only get "shutting down your phone in 3-2-1" and "restart" and "cancel." Are you saying if I set a password to unlock the phone, the option to lock when I press the power button/lock button will appear? I'll try it.

BTW, can someone explain to me the precise difference between locking the screen and locking the device?

Does the setting "lock device when holstered" have any effect when you're not using any kind of holster or case?

...Okay, I set a password, locked the screen (or device--don't know the difference), hit the button on the top of the phone, and it did not ask me for the password.

WAIT! Now when I press the button on top of the phone, the option to lock appears on the screen. Must ponder the implications of this... it maybe the solution.
    05-21-15 08:29 PM
    If you put a password in so you have to unlock the phone to use it, it will not go past the password prompt ,until entered, and locking your screen is when your phone screen is on press your power button quickly and the screen will go off. But does not lock the screen.
    05-21-15 08:32 PM
    I got that part, but I'm saying that when I press the power button or the lock button on the top of the phone, I do not get the option to lock the phone. I only get "shutting down your phone in 3-2-1" and "restart" and "cancel." Are you saying if I set a password to unlock the phone, the option to lock when I press the power button/lock button will appear? I'll try it.

BTW, can someone explain to me the precise difference between locking the screen and locking the device?

Does the setting "lock device when holstered" have any effect when you're not using any kind of holster or case?

...Okay, I set a password, locked the screen (or device--don't know the difference), hit the button on the top of the phone, and it did not ask me for the password.

WAIT! Now when I press the button on top of the phone, the option to lock appears on the screen. Must ponder the implications of this... it maybe the solution.
    If you hold the top button down it will shut down the phone. If you press the top button once it should lock the screen or as you said give you the option to lock the screen.

There's another issue that comes into play here which is the Screen Timeout setting under Settings, Display. And in the same place there is also the Swipe to Wake (on/off) setting.

I use a Device Password, with a Screen Timeout of 1 minute and Swipe to Wake turned on -- and I haven't had any issues with pocket dialing.
    05-21-15 08:46 PM
    Back to my original situation involving the use of a Bluetooth (i.e., handsfree) device: my phone and screen are locked. My phone is in my purse. A call comes in. I tap my Bluetooth device to answer. Say I'm getting out of the car and grabbing my purse, and the purse is jostling around. At this point, is my keyboard responsive or not? Is purse/pocket dialing going to happen while I'm talking on my Bluetooth device?

That's the specific instance of pocket dialing I'm asking about. I want the phone to stay locked while I'm on a call, and not holding the phone in my hand.
    05-21-15 10:16 PM
    Yes it should stay locked.
    05-21-15 10:20 PM
    A sleeve/pouch should solve this.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 07:17 AM
    Yes, you need a case or sleeve, etc with a magnet. These turn off your screen. This way...as long as it's in the sleeve, case, etc, it won't light up and even if it does the key are protected. You can get one that lives on the phone and swings open sideways as well.

I've always had good luck with these....very well made....but shipped directly from China.

Buy BlackBerry Classic Leather Case, Pouch & Accessories
    05-22-15 07:27 AM
    Yes, you need a case or sleeve, etc with a magnet. These turn off your screen. This way...as long as it's in the sleeve, case, etc, it won't light up and even if it does the key are protected. You can get one that lives on the phone and swings open sideways as well.

I've always had good luck with these....very well made....but shipped directly from China.

Buy BlackBerry Classic Leather Case, Pouch & Accessories
    I had one for my Bold-- it had the magnetic cover and came from the site you linked to. I wasn't able to find one with a magnetic cover for my Classic, but maybe one is available now.

The Classic came with a very stiff leather sleeve, but I couldn't pull the phone out without pressing buttons on the side. Someone on one of the many threads I've been reading mentioned a soft leather case. Can anyone link to a site for one of these.
    05-22-15 07:33 AM
    Your Classic came with a sleeve? Lucky you. I was disappointed when mine didn't come with one and my 9700 did.

The BlackBerry sleeve is stiff initially, but loosens up quite a bit after some use, making it a lot easier to slide in and out.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 07:43 AM
    Are you kidding ?
    05-22-15 08:05 AM
    This is just my opinion based on my experience.

I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma January 1998 from using a Motorola "Brick" phone. So I threw my phone away. December 2002 I bought a cell phone. January it comes back. 2008 same thing. I use the phone only on a speaker phone and never carry it in my pockets. I use a hard case with a Seidio holster but most of the time it is away from my body as much as possible.

I would talk a sibling or dear friend to not use a headset.

Last month I was informed my cousin has non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and it went to his brain.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 10:16 AM
    Your Classic came with a sleeve? Lucky you. I was disappointed when mine didn't come with one and my 9700 did. ...
    You know what... it didn't come with a sleeve. I'm thinking of the Bold, which did.

}
    Yes it should stay locked.
    Tested this. Phone was locked. Call came in while I was sitting at my desk. Answered it with my bluetooth device. While the call was in progress, I punched a few of the keys. The keyboard WAS active and interfered with the call. So, even when the phone is locked down, an incoming call wakes it up.

I guess I do need a case.

Are you kidding ?
    Who/what are you replying to?

This is just my opinion based on my experience.

I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma January 1998 from using a Motorola "Brick" phone. So I threw my phone away. December 2002 I bought a cell phone. January it comes back. 2008 same thing. I use the phone only on a speaker phone and never carry it in my pockets. I use a hard case with a Seidio holster but most of the time it is away from my body as much as possible.

I would talk a sibling or dear friend to not use a headset.

Last month I was informed my cousin has non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and it went to his brain.

Posted via CB10
    I'm so sorry. I also had a dear friend die of NHL. I still miss him. I don't use a bluetooth headset. I use hearing aids that are linked to my phone with a bluetooth device that hangs around my neck. Still, I take your point.
    05-22-15 10:31 AM
    There has to be a reason for the rise of cancer. Who know what is going to happen to all those 10 year old kids using phones and playing games with head sets.

Or women that carry their phones in their bras?

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 10:40 AM
    There has to be a reason for the rise of cancer. Who know what is going to happen to all those 10 year old kids using phones and playing games with head sets.

Or women that carry their phones in their bras?

Posted via CB10
    As it happens, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in February of this year and I'm currently undergoing treatment. One of the reasons for the increase in the diagnosis of breast cancer is digital imaging, which is much higher resolution than the x-rays and, yes, xeroxes, of years ago. I'm 66 and got to see all of my mammograms from 1973 on. The earliest ones were indeed xeroxes, and even the ones from a couple of years ago did not have the precise clarity of the one that detected my tumor (less than 1.1 cm, way too small to detect with a manual examination).

And I never carried my phone in my bra.

I've thrown in the towel and ordered a case similar to the one I had for my Pearl years ago. Thanks to all who participated. Let us gently close the door on this and slink away...
    05-22-15 12:26 PM
    As it happens, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in February of this year and I'm currently undergoing treatment. One of the reasons for the increase in the diagnosis of breast cancer is digital imaging, which is much higher resolution than the x-rays and, yes, xeroxes, of years ago. I'm 66 and got to see all of my mammograms from 1973 on. The earliest ones were indeed xeroxes, and even the ones from a couple of years ago did not have the precise clarity of the one that detected my tumor (less than 1.1 cm, way too small to detect with a manual examination).

And I never carried my phone in my bra.

I've thrown in the towel and ordered a case similar to the one I had for my Pearl years ago. Thanks to all who participated. Let us gently close the door on this and slink away...
    I wish you all the luck in the world, I can only imagine what your going through.

I have lost a lot of family members to that horrible disease.
    Keep positive and kick it's but.

I'm here for the fun, it's just a phone
    05-22-15 01:33 PM
    Lilliepearl I hope your health problems have improved by now. My wife survived breast cancer about 15 years ago so we know what you are going through.

The answer to your phone problem has just arrived in BlackBerry World. It is an app called PocketSafe. PocketSafe is the only solution and it works perfectly on my Passport. It not only prevents pocket calling but also protects you from muting or dialing when you press the phone to your face during a call.

Posted via CB10
    joan006 likes this.
    07-28-15 10:37 PM
    When using PocketSafe, to prevent getting the pop up every time your hand passes close to the sensor you can use battery saving mode. Swipe down from top of screen and you will see the Settings button. Turn on battery saving mode. With this option turned on the app will only function if it detects a close object within 10 seconds after the screen turns on. That will solve your problem. However, with battery saving on, your screen must be turned off before putting the phone in your pocket. Otherwise you will not be protected from pocket dialing until your screen turns off automatically, which may never happen if it begins pocket dialing right after it goes in your pocket.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 10:08 PM
    Thanks for the reply, Frazerd. My best to your wife. I'm doing very well. Fingers crossed.

Sorry, I haven't checked this thread in a while. My solution was to get a case. Ever since my Pearl (and then my Style flip phone) I haven't liked the screen to be out there in front of God and everybody. I had a nice case for my Bold, and I got one for my Classic. I also lock the screen now, too.
    08-25-15 03:14 PM
    I have the same problem. Prior to OS update 10.2, the phone would stay lock when answering phone using handsfree. With the latest OS, I could see the phone unlocks and expose the screen to pocket dialing. I have a password lock but does not make a difference. This is a regression from the previous OS. Hope it is corrected since it is quite a nuissance when driving.
    06-26-16 12:49 PM