I asked about monitoring data usage. There was a quick reply from mad_mdx saying that device monitor would do it. Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but when I run device monitor what I see is Battery, Storage, CPU, Memory. That's it. Nothing about data usage. "Classic", 10.3.2.556, Verizon. I did see a note in the help that depending on carrier the function might not be available.

Can anyone confirm whether Verizon has torn out this function, or if I'm just not using it right? And if it isn't there are there alternatives?
    08-28-15 01:23 AM
    I never used the Device Monitor for that because lack of features. Indeed I also don't understand some aspects of it's confusing settings.

I tried four or five 3rd party apps for that. One problem that many (especially Android) apps have is a high energy consume and this can be important in a headless app running 24x7. A special case is when you turn off the network connections over night - some apps raise their energy consume then up to unexpected high levels.

After all I ended up with Usage Pro, which is a good and very stable app with a very small footprint. The only feature I miss is a more detailed view over the last minutes or hours, it shows only the sum of the day as the finest granularity which can be insufficient if you are examining issues with traffic. If you need a finer granularity including graphical display take BaSA. But BaSA has no sums over longer time spans, you can't use this to monitor your monthly usage.
    08-28-15 01:44 AM
    How are you supposed to reply to answers that don't work?-img_20150828_074907.png

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 06:49 AM
    To reply to a question you need to make an account.
    Anyway, as you can see from the pic above me, it's there.
    You may need to go into the overflow (the 3 dots on the bottom right or left I think) to find it.
    Also it works flawlessly, I'm not sure what the other person is complaining about.
    08-28-15 08:28 AM
    To reply to a question you need to make an account.
    Anyway, as you can see from the pic above me, it's there.
    You may need to go into the overflow (the 3 dots on the bottom right or left I think) to find it.
    Also it works flawlessly, I'm not sure what the other person is complaining about.
    Regarding the OP's point, this tab is not available with Verizon and possibly other carriers.

Attachment 368691

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 08:39 AM
    this option is available since 10.3.0 and above.
    data monitoring not available in 10.2.1 and below, i think

unless verizon got some other strange thing, as, it's not using GSM technology...
    08-28-15 08:46 AM
    this option is available since 10.3.0 and above.
    data monitoring not available in 10.2.1 and below, i think

unless verizon got some other strange thing, as, it's not using GSM technology...
    Pretty sure it's a verizon thing. I am on 10.3.2.2339. I have done many 10.3 leaks, autoloaders, fresh installs, etc., and never had it.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 09:35 AM
    The only thing in the overflow is "Search"., it appears to me that Verizon has emasculated it. I'm considering the idea of starting a class-action suit against Verizon for fraud, it's outright bait-and-switch imo. Called BlackBerry support earlier today, they seem to have no clue so far but are looking into it. If Verizon wasn't the only carrier that has *any* covreage in my physical location, I'd be gone yesterday. I *used* to have an unlimited Verizon account but it was 3G and the tower was so slow it was useless so now I'm paying $15/G for the first byte over 15G just the way they want it.
    08-28-15 06:04 PM
    The only thing in the overflow is "Search"., it appears to me that Verizon has emasculated it. I'm considering the idea of starting a class-action suit against Verizon for fraud, it's outright bait-and-switch imo. Called BlackBerry support earlier today, they seem to have no clue so far but are looking into it. If Verizon wasn't the only carrier that has *any* covreage in my physical location, I'd be gone yesterday. I *used* to have an unlimited Verizon account but it was 3G and the tower was so slow it was useless so now I'm paying $15/G for the first byte over 15G just the way they want it.
    Can't you just use the Verizon app they preload on every device?

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 06:09 PM
    The MyVerizon app will show you the total data usage on your account, but not for individual lines within "More Of Everything" plan, where your data is shared across the phones in your account, it just gives a bottom-line number with no graph to correlate with the time you downloaded the latest huge whatever.

It totally sucks when BB provides less functionality than Android. At least with Android I could install cyanogenmod and not have Verizon's pre-diddled code while still being able to run the MyVerizon app. I don't remember whether BB is open-source or not, maybe that's the next thing to look at.

Theoretically I still have a week to take it back to Verizon and tell them to shove it, but I really like the device, it's just the software I have issues with.

So here is another approach, supposing that I decide to just pay the $15/G as needed, and accept the fact that BlackBerry Protect is basically useless. Given that, how do I set it to disable the trackpad while the device is "locked"? I carry it in my pocket and the power/lock key is pretty safe from getting clicked, but not the trackpad, I've pulled the thing out of my pocket and seen a message about having entered the wrong device password X times when that was just buttdial stuff. Doesn't it totally lock up if you enter the wrong password 10 times? If that happens when mobile data is off, do you just toss the device as broken?

Okay, calming down a little here, maybe I need to check out the LG phones with keyboards, they're Android but at least it seems likely there's a cyanogenmod version that'll run on it. Though I really, REALLY, like this device, it has a lot going for it.
    08-28-15 07:23 PM
    The MyVerizon app will show you the total data usage on your account, but not for individual lines within "More Of Everything" plan, where your data is shared across the phones in your account, it just gives a bottom-line number with no graph to correlate with the time you downloaded the latest huge whatever.
    If you click on the "shared data" bar in the my verizon app, it will show the data for the individual lines And then if you click on data utilization, it breaks it up into categories. But I agree, it's not great.

I have heard good things about usage pro in BBW, but it's $5.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 09:27 PM
    'If you click on the "shared data" bar in the my verizon app, it will show the data for the individual lines And then if you click on data utilization, it breaks it up into categories. But I agree, it's not great.'

Thanks, pretty crude but better than nothing. Never needed to dig around in that thing since Android give you an actual graph a lot like the pics I've seen of BB data usage graph.

You wouldn't happen to know how, in one keypress, to lock the device, blank the screen, and disable the trackpad until power/lock is pressed again? I suspect there must be a way to do this or BB users would be screaming their heads off, right?

'I have heard good things about usage pro in BBW, but it's $5. '

I bought it, go read my review if you're interested: one star for having the skill to rip me off.

*** EDITED *** (don't yet know if cb marks edits, will find out)

After getting back home and letting the chaos settle down a little, I found that the Usage Pro "Data / View Log" function provides the information I need in order to rein in the "carte blanche" Verizon seems to want. Now I feel bad about having given it only one star and calling it a ripoff, but going in through my pc I don't see any way to modify the review... life is tough when you're a jerk (yeah, my hand is up on that one).
    Last edited by crankypuss; 08-30-15 at 04:19 AM. Reason: blush
    08-28-15 09:52 PM
    So here is another approach, supposing that I decide to just pay the $15/G as needed, and accept the fact that BlackBerry Protect is basically useless.
    How is protect "useless"?

Given that, how do I set it to disable the trackpad while the device is "locked"? I carry it in my pocket and the power/lock key is pretty safe from getting clicked, but not the trackpad, I've pulled the thing out of my pocket and seen a message about having entered the wrong device password X times when that was just buttdial stuff. Doesn't it totally lock up if you enter the wrong password 10 times? If that happens when mobile data is off, do you just toss the device as broken?
    Pretty sure after the 5th time you have to enter "blackberry" before it will let you continue entering passwords, so no, you'll never wipe it accidentally in your pocket.
    08-28-15 10:11 PM
    You wouldn't happen to know how, in one keypress, to lock the device, blank the screen, and disable the trackpad until power/lock is pressed again? I suspect there must be a way to do this or BB users would be screaming their heads off, right?
    Sorry, I use a z30 so I am not that familiar with keyboard shortcuts. The list below is pretty thorough...

http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2015/...ard-shortcuts/

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 10:22 PM
    How is protect "useless"?

Pretty sure after the 5th time you have to enter "blackberry" before it will let you continue entering passwords, so no, you'll never wipe it accidentally in your pocket.
    Thanks, just verified that. Also verified that location isn't always running... at least when "Traffic Data Collection" is off, don't know about when it's on.
    08-30-15 04:46 AM
    I was able to verify this yesterday. Starting out fully charged in the morning, I used Maps to find a new doctor's office. For that I needed both mobile-data and location-services turned on. After the hour it took to navigate to the new address (the navigation worked quite nicely btw), I looked at battery usage. While mobile-data + location-services were both on, the charge graph was descending at almost 30 degrees. With mobile-data + location-services turned off for a couple hours, the charge graph was decenting at only a couple degrees. The remain-ing change indication went from "4 hours" to "2 days and xxx".
    09-01-15 11:29 AM
    With mobile-data + location-services turned off for a couple hours, the charge graph was decenting at only a couple degrees. The remain-ing change indication went from "4 hours" to "2 days and xxx".
    Tell news. Sending data is one of the strongest power consumers on your device. When you�re navigating you have additinally the screen on. And don't think you just receive map data - your device is sending all the time, not as much as receiving, but the traffic is bidirectional.
    09-01-15 12:14 PM
    Yes, and I didn't even have the "share traffic information" setting turned on, I expect that would have increased battery drain even more since it's reporting your position every once in a while.

I believe that a lot of these functions that rely on mobile-data being on could be implemented without its being on, text messages are transmitted whether mobile-data is on or off. I'd really like to see BlackBerry update the Protect functionality so it didn't rely on mobile-data being on, or location-services being on, that would make it truly useful. And it is definitely feasible, they can inspect every text message and identify specially encrypted messages that pertain to Protect, turn on location-services as needed, etc. The BlackBerry user would never notice the difference, except that he could actually use Protect instead of its being hamstrung by the need for battery-draining functionality.
    09-02-15 06:18 AM