I'm a first time BlackBerry user (Q5), and have since been reading a lot about BlackBerry.

I've read many great things about the Bold 9900, so I went ahead and bought a new one from amazon. I love the build quality and the tool belt, especially the tool belt! I much prefer OS10, though.

That being said, how many of you used the 9900 and how does it compare to the Classic? Would you consider the Classic an overall better device than the 9900?

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 07:38 PM
    Classic is definitely different than the 9900. I have both. Right now, the 9900 is active.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk
    10-17-15 08:01 PM
    I have a drawer full of legacy devices, including a couple of 9900s.

Fine for typing out emails, but today's world demands so much more from the single device you carry around with you.

I would be lost without a modern device.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    andy957 likes this.
    10-17-15 08:06 PM
    Classic is definitely different than the 9900. I have both. Right now, the 9900 is active.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk
    Is that because you are a die hard 9900 fan, or because of other reasons?

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 09:04 PM
    Is that because you are a die hard 9900 fan, or because of other reasons?

Posted via CB10
    it is because i love the 9900 for pure emails and bbm. I have to carry 2 devices for my business. My other device is a 6S+

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-17-15 09:11 PM
    I had the 9900 and sold it for the Z10. I about cried when I sold the 9900. Loved it. Hated the Q10. So, when the Classic came out, I grabbed it. I love the Classic. It is my beloved 9900 with OS10, in a well designed body. I am quite happy with my Classic.

Posted via Classic
    schlemer likes this.
    10-17-15 11:01 PM
    I still have my 9900. I bought it brand new in its first year. Still in excellent condition. I charge it once a month. I can do so much more with my Passport. I will be listing it for sale soon. Comes with everything including original pristine box

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2789
    10-17-15 11:09 PM
    I had a 9930 and a 9900...both great phones... for their time. The Classic is better in almost every way, but you lose a lot of the tweakiness when you move to BB10. The call lag is also very annoying (seems to take forever to connect a call when you dial out).

Having a larger screen and faster web browsing is a huge plus though. The cellular antenna is also a lot better. There are pros and cons but overall I couldn't ever go back to the 99xx.
    10-17-15 11:51 PM
    I carry both. Always my 99. Usually Classic also. Sometimes trade Classic for my PP or Z30 depending on expected needs. But always carry the old 9900. Always.

Classic & 9900 combo compliment each other VERY effectively. Especially for double fisted use. I lean on my BB10 devices for browsing, hdmi, Miracast, etc. LOVE Miracast on my Classic. Trackpad navigates Miracast without have to look at the phone. I'm at my cubical right now Miracasting zoomed photos of malfunctioning equipment in Mumbai onto a 42" screen with Classic in right hand while typing this on 9900 in left hand. Waiting for reply from client's adjustments. We have a 99 inch screen in one conference room if I need larger... . Single handed capabilities provided by toolbelt are precisely why I can simultaneously operate Classic and 9900. NO other pair of devices are more single handed friendly. IMO.

If you like BB10 and like the 9900's toolbelt... I'd predict you'd love the classic. IMO.
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-18-15 at 12:13 AM.
    10-18-15 12:01 AM
    I will always have a soft spot for the 9900 had a few of them and I figure they were the Best of the Best .
    andy957 likes this.
    10-18-15 07:33 AM
    Owned a 9930 on Verizon's network for a few years. Loved the phone, hated the carrier. To date, my 9930 was one of the best feeling smartphone I've ever owned. It took a long time for me to give it up for an HTC One X and a move to At&t. Well, three androids later and I'm back with not only a Classic, but a Passport as well. The Classic brings me back to the good old days but with the added features I need "upgraded" .
    10-18-15 08:06 AM
    I had the Bold and really enjoyed every minute of it! The Classic really is the next step. While the Q10 was there, it didn't fit the Bold/Classic's fit and feel, at least to me.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 08:25 AM
    I went from 9000 to 9900 to Q10 and finally a Classic. I would say the best out of the bunch is the Classic because BB10 is great (for the most part) and the phone's much faster than the 9900. BBOS on the old phones did have a few features I like that's missing or not done as well on BB10, such as the search algorithm and being able to simply type out an alpha-numeric phone number with the keyboard and the phone will dial it... But besides that, there are enough improvements in BB10 and the Classic that make it pretty great.

I liked the Q10 as well, but honestly i had better memories of the 9900. And typing with the Q10 is the worst out of the bunch while it's the best with the Classic. I'm back to my old fast thumbs with this phone. The keyboard is only slightly larger but apparently that's enough of a difference for my thumbs to notice...

A lot of people will say that having a trackpad and toolbelt on BB10 is redundant, but I find using the keys and the trackpad easier than using the touchscreen for everything. And having both is nice because if I'm already on the touchscreen for something else, then using it to navigate becomes the more convenient option at that time. So it's a great combination...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    idssteve, davisgq and VSCPSBRDAO like this.
    10-18-15 12:30 PM
    I loved the 9900 probably my favorite Blackberry along with the Pearl which was my first ever smartphone. I can tell you that when I first saw the Classic for sale I jumped and bought it because the looks remind me of the 9900. Today I doubt the 9900 is advanced enough to be used as a main phone, could be a secondary though. I recommend the iPhone 6S and the Classic for every day use. I use both all day and very happy.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 12:08 AM
    I went from 9000 to 9900 to Q10 and finally a Classic. I would say the best out of the bunch is the Classic because BB10 is great (for the most part) and the phone's much faster than the 9900. BBOS on the old phones did have a few features I like that's missing or not done as well on BB10, such as the search algorithm and being able to simply type out an alpha-numeric phone number with the keyboard and the phone will dial it... But besides that, there are enough improvements in BB10 and the Classic that make it pretty great.

I liked the Q10 as well, but honestly i had better memories of the 9900. And typing with the Q10 is the worst out of the bunch while it's the best with the Classic. I'm back to my old fast thumbs with this phone. The keyboard is only slightly larger but apparently that's enough of a difference for my thumbs to notice...

A lot of people will say that having a trackpad and toolbelt on BB10 is redundant, but I find using the keys and the trackpad easier than using the touchscreen for everything. And having both is nice because if I'm already on the touchscreen for something else, then using it to navigate becomes the more convenient option at that time. So it's a great combination...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Spot on Slagman Especially the trackpad part. I like how people think using a trackpad is so primitive. I like to mess with people and just use the trackpad and ask what a touchscreen is until I bust out the double technique. Lol. Mine was a similar path except that I had a Bold 9650 prior to getting a 9930. Lots of fond memories of the 9930 except for the bama VZW rep who reluctantly sold me the 9930 and tried to cause a scene in front of everyone because I was getting a dead company's phone and I had no idea about tech... Haha. Kind of regret selling it recently, but oh well. This Classic though... Love it People actually think that it's a 9900/9930 from afar and ask why I use such primitive tech. I just let them prattle on and on and smile politely back at them
    10-19-15 03:46 PM
    Former and current. white is better. It does what I do and looks and feels like royalty doing it. If I wanna browse on the go that day, I throw a wifi device and a Z30 in my bag. or something like that.
    10-19-15 04:41 PM
    Former - without BES 9900 is worthless almost whereas bb10 does activesync natively, so the passport it is!

Typed from my AT&T passport
    10-19-15 05:20 PM
    I loved my 9900. If my current network supported BIS, I would still have it. That said, I had started to find the lack of speed a bit irritating.

The Classic is a nice compromise. It runs well on any network (without need of BIS/BES), is faster than the 9900 and is well-built. It still has some problems - it could stand to be a little more powerful, and have a better camera, but I like it a lot.

I still miss the old 'Social Feeds' app, though.
    10-19-15 06:09 PM
    yes loved the 9900 used the hell out of it wauted for the longest time for my carrier to have the new OS 10 got me the classic,tried the Z10 but had to many issues with the key board ( sausage fingers) so the Classic was my answer.
    10-19-15 07:41 PM
    I had a 9900 and loved it. The keyboard, the belt, the call quality, speakerphone and that gorgeous stainless steel band.

I currently have a Q10 and also love the device. BB10 is something I enjoy and in this day in age a modern OS and browser is needed for most. Biggest downgrade hardware wise from Q10 to the 9900 was the loss silver stainless steel band. For whatever reason the "look" of that band brings up the quality, feel and look of the phone. I am aware that the Q10's band is also the same material, it doesn't have the same look personally.

I am in the process of upgrading to a Wind Classic but still hoping for them to drop in price a bit in a sale. Gonna love it I think

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 06:53 PM
    I am one of those who used and loved his Bold 9900, so much so that I bought a black and a white phone (it was really nice in white). There were some issues with BBOS7 but I really enjoyed the phone's build quality and ease of use. However once carriers stop supporting BIS, the phone won't be good for much. That's why I sold both and bought the Q10 and Classic and Passport.

P.S. The one big disappointment in the Classic *for me* is that the trackpad button does not have a backlit border like on the 9900.
    10-20-15 09:54 PM
    I owned a 9900 and loved it, for its time was the best Blackberry I had owned. Gave it up for a Z10 and then moved on to a Z30 which I still love. I do miss the keyboard and am waiting to see how much love if any the Priv gets and if it is any good I just may give it a go.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 10:03 PM
    My BB9900 was the best communication device that I have had in 13 years of using smartphones.
    It was replaced by the Classic a couple of months ago and, so far, nothing has triggered me to even look at the BB9900 again.
    10-21-15 07:37 PM
    I still have my 9900 but I love the Classic!

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 10:24 PM
    My BB9900 was the best communication device that I have had in 13 years of using smartphones.
    It was replaced by the Classic a couple of months ago and, so far, nothing has triggered me to even look at the BB9900 again.
    That good, huh? Pretty cool.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 10:52 PM
26 12