Let's hope BB is a bit more accurate on their expected unit sales with the Classic. Sure it's neat to say they sold out but a happy customer that does not make.

Hope they also don't leave CDMA in the lurch.

And lastly, let's see some white versions for sale on release too!!
    10-02-14 08:04 PM
    BlackBerry being safe on their estimates is a good strategy. They had to write off 900 million in unsold z10s. Not paying to make unsold phones is smarter than waiting for selling g phones. One more mistake the z10 and there will be some serious problems.

Give BlackBerry a break. 200,000 sold out passports is the first good news we've had in ages. We shouldn't be knocking them In the other end just yet.

Posted via CB10
    KDB84, Plazmic Flame and CpE CKS like this.
    10-02-14 08:11 PM
    Gawd, I hope Classic will be on Verizon within the first few months of release.

From a Z30
    haringfish likes this.
    10-03-14 07:53 AM
    BlackBerry being safe on their estimates is a good strategy. They had to write off 900 million in unsold z10s. Not paying to make unsold phones is smarter than waiting for selling g phones. One more mistake the z10 and there will be some serious problems.

Give BlackBerry a break. 200,000 sold out passports is the first good news we've had in ages. We shouldn't be knocking them In the other end just yet.

Posted via CB10
    The Passport on Amazon was $599 then sold out. After the "sold out" there was a link on Amazon that they would notify you after they restocked. Got an email Wednesday with a link new price was $899. Yes this is by other vendor(s) but unless your familiar with how Amazon works you would not know this. The problem is OP wanting a Passport would be turned off by this pricing.

Writing off over stock is one thing but not having enough inventory on opening day can be just as bad.

Remember the Super Bowl ad for the Garden Burger? After the ad this Portland company was flooded with orders that could not be filled. Not being able to fill orders led to the demise of the company.

I think 200k might have been a little conservative, but cash and the RIM/ML debogle stopped BB from stocking more.

I would think that the Q20 should sell 3-4x better than the PP. Of course this would be based on pricing and the quality of the Q20. Prior BBOS users will "expect" the "Bold" quality anything less will be a failure.

Being 2 weeks back ordered is marginal any BOers more than 15 days is unacceptable in manufacturing.

Let's see what happens.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    10-03-14 01:56 PM
    The Passport on Amazon was $599 then sold out. After the "sold out" there was a link on Amazon that they would notify you after they restocked. Got an email Wednesday with a link new price was $899. Yes this is by other vendor(s) but unless your familiar with how Amazon works you would not know this. The problem is OP wanting a Passport would be turned off by this pricing.

Writing off over stock is one thing but not having enough inventory on opening day can be just as bad.

Remember the Super Bowl ad for the Garden Burger? After the ad this Portland company was flooded with orders that could not be filled. Not being able to fill orders led to the demise of the company.

I think 200k might have been a little conservative, but cash and the RIM/ML debogle stopped BB from stocking more.

I would think that the Q20 should sell 3-4x better than the PP. Of course this would be based on pricing and the quality of the Q20. Prior BBOS users will "expect" the "Bold" quality anything less will be a failure.

Being 2 weeks back ordered is marginal any BOers more than 15 days is unacceptable in manufacturing.

Let's see what happens.
    It's already back in stock on shop bb. Seems like BlackBerry actually got something right this time. They even got to put in a "sold out" story. That might have turned a few heads even if the numbers weren't impressive.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-03-14 07:55 PM
    It's already back in stock on shop bb. Seems like BlackBerry actually got something right this time. They even got to put in a "sold out" story. That might have turned a few heads even if the numbers weren't impressive.

Posted via CB10
    It's out of stock again.

I would think that the Passport costs more to make than the Classic, and its looks are polarizing... which probably had a lot to do with BlackBerry's decision to make inventory conservative.

But the Classic is just that... a classic. Boring? Maybe. But not polarizing like the Passport. Legacy users with 9900s or Curves on their last legs will be getting the Classic, or even just BB10 users who find the Passport ugly or want the full set of physical keys.

Whereas the Passport was kind of a big question mark, the Classic is the warm blanket that keeps us old-school BlackBerry users warm, so I would think BlackBerry would have plenty available at launch.
    10-03-14 09:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    Ok going over 3 weeks and Amazon still out of stock, except from other vendors. Still think BB got it right? I wonder how many thousands of sales were lost. Now that has delayed leaks on the Q20. When new people to BlackBerry go to Amazon they see the S899 price then buy an iPhone.
    phuoc and AllanQuatermain like this.
    10-10-14 10:05 AM
    Well I just got my Q10 this week. I just came from a Samsung Note2. If the classic is like the Q10, That might be my next upgrade. But then again that's if Sprint sells it. Until I hear any other news I'll just have to hold on tight to my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    3_M4N likes this.
    10-10-14 01:24 PM
    Well I just got my Q10 this week. I just came from a Samsung Note2. If the classic is like the Q10, That might be my next upgrade. But then again that's if Sprint sells it. Until I hear any other news I'll just have to hold on tight to my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    I think you should just update the OS to 10.3.1 when it is pushed around mid-november. The Q10 is a workhorse!

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.1.2941; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675
    Marthaelisa17 likes this.
    10-10-14 01:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    I would like to hold on tight to... oh wait, this isn't 9gag.com, excuse me... lol

If you go to that website and read the comments there normally, you'd get the joke. :-P

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-10-14 02:00 PM
    I think you should just update the OS to 10.3.1 when it is pushed around mid-november. The Q10 is a workhorse!

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.1.2941; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675
    She can keep it as a backup if she gets the Classic. I'm kind of debating if I should keep my Q10 as a backup or just sell it after getting the Classic...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-10-14 02:06 PM
    I'll be waiting right by a PC in order to preorder the Classic.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-10-14 09:24 PM
    Ok going over 3 weeks and Amazon still out of stock, except from other vendors. Still think BB got it right? I wonder how many thousands of sales were lost. Now that has delayed leaks on the Q20. When new people to BlackBerry go to Amazon they see the S899 price then buy an iPhone.
    It's been exactly 2 and a half weeks since the Passport was released, not over 3 weeks.

Why do you hate BlackBerry so much, enough to make all sorts of FUD up?

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 04:44 AM
    All we need is to make us wait all year for the Classic then big release and butta bing butta boom No stock .
    10-11-14 05:40 AM
    It's been exactly 2 and a half weeks since the Passport was released, not over 3 weeks.

Why do you hate BlackBerry so much, enough to make all sorts of FUD up?

Posted via CB10
    Don't hate BB at all. I just posted my opinion from a retired business owner. In reviewing other threads a few back orders are trickling out, but the majority will take over 3 weeks to fill. This to me is hurts any business, whether it is BB or iPhone. The success of the PassPort exceeds BB's initial forecast, which is good. But you have to agree that timing is everything. BB has a lot on the plate, i.e. Q20, QNX, Visa,........... When something is delayed it "can" snowball. There is an unofficial posting 900k units were sold, could they have sold 1.5m?

Now you have people with second thoughts. In the retail business impulse buying is everything. If you can get that impulse purchase you will have always made a sale you might not have made if the customer thought more about it.

You also have the whores on Ebay and Amazon selling the PassPort over list price. This does not help the reputation of BB and gives the uneducated new buyer sticker shock. Free enterprise right?

That being said, I don't think this will happen again under John Chen.

I am just now seeing the light of JC's business plan. Shareholders should be very pleased with the first year under his tenure. He has slowly cleaned house and have replace upper management and existing RIM/ML people with his own. It is remarkable the insight of this man and I respect him dearly. For him to over come the bad reputation of BB with the carriers, vendors and the mobile community has been a slow, but steady journey. He forecast was a 2 year recovery looks like he is ahead of schedule. BB as we once knew will again be the high end innovated mobile device leader.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 10-11-14 at 10:08 AM.
    10-11-14 07:03 AM
    @Mr4aces

That's all fine and dandy, and we can debate the specifics till the cows come home; but the fact of the matter is that BlackBerry couldn't financially survive another massive write off like that of the Z10 and being such a different and polarizing device as the Passport is, I don't think anyone could have gauged how well or how poorly the device would sell.

The Passport has been out for only 17 days. Seventeen freaking days; and people on these forums are freaking out, not giving BlackBerry any opportunity to correct the problem.

I've spent the last 17 days watching in pure amazement at the ridiculousness of so many users on this forum concerning the Passport; an let me tell you, it almost makes me give up on humanity.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 01:36 PM
    @Mr4aces

That's all fine and dandy, and we can debate the specifics till the cows come home; but the fact of the matter is that BlackBerry couldn't financially survive another massive write off like that of the Z10 and being such a different and polarizing device as the Passport is, I don't think anyone could have gauged how well or how poorly the device would sell.

The Passport has been out for only 17 days. Seventeen freaking days; and people on these forums are freaking out, not giving BlackBerry any opportunity to correct the problem.

I've spent the last 17 days watching in pure amazement at the ridiculousness of so many users on this forum concerning the Passport; an let me tell you, it almost makes me give up on humanity.

Posted via CB10
    No this administration would never purchase "millions" based on speculation of a new product. If you check the PassPort threads the back orders are scheduled for the end of the month. That would make BO's over 21 days old. Ask anyone with a marketing degree what prolong back orders does to your bottom line.

Now you have the Classic with a delayed release date of late November that will take additional sales away.

Impulse buying has always been a good sales tool.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    10-11-14 02:05 PM
    Impulse buying has always been a good sales tool.
    This is probably what they thought about when they were releasing the Z10, and look at where that got them.

Back orders might hurt sales, but write downs hurt much much more.

You keep analyzing BlackBerry's current situation in the same way you would analyze a healthy company with decent marketshare, and this is flawed. The path that John Chen is taking is the correct one to bring the company back into shape; slow and steady. And that's not to say BlackBerry can take things too slow, but 21 days back orders are a drop in the bucket to ensure they sell as many as they need to to hit their goal.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 03:12 PM
    If they dont have a white classic available on release date I will have to wait and not be happy about it. Ive decided my next BlackBerry must be white

Posted via CB10
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    10-11-14 07:25 PM
    if Blackberry want Legacy users to move from 9900/30 to the Classic then having reasonable stocks available and not as the Passport on backorder is vital, will they get Classic stocks right? my 9900 is working well so plenty of time to upgrade eventually no point in being stressed.
    Mr4aces and Frehley like this.
    10-12-14 03:07 PM
    if Blackberry want Legacy users to move from 9900/30 to the Classic then having reasonable stocks available and not as the Passport on backorder is vital, will they get Classic stocks right? my 9900 is working well so plenty of time to upgrade eventually no point in being stressed.
    May be it is just the reason of the delay... Passport was "not intended for every one/user" so they might miscalculated the need, whereas for the Classic they might calculated to produce as many as possible to all "the rest of the users"... They know how much BBM-PINs are active, I am sure there will be "enough" for all... but it requires time! That's why the Passport has been launched earlier (as well as the Porche-design) and probably why the classic has been delayed... My opinion ;-)

Mr4aces likes this.
    10-12-14 03:13 PM
    May be it is just the reason of the delay... Passport was "not intended for every one/user" so they might miscalculated the need, whereas for the Classic they might calculated to produce as many as possible to all "the rest of the users"... They know how much BBM-PINs are active, I am sure there will be "enough" for all... but it requires time! That's why the Passport has been launched earlier (as well as the Porche-design) and probably why the classic has been delayed... My opinion ;-)

Hi anischab, the supply problems of the Passport will be in the media and the inevitable criticism
    of another Blackberry miscalculation despite the high number of Passports sold,
    Blackberry need to get the Classic right and you may be correct in that the delay is
    so a large stock of the Classic are ready for launch day,
    i see mainly 9900's in use but never a Q10 or any BB10 devices and many like myself
    waiting for the Classic.
    Mr4aces and anischab like this.
    10-12-14 04:58 PM
    Hi anischab, the supply problems of the Passport will be in the media and the inevitable criticism
    of another Blackberry miscalculation despite the high number of Passports sold,
    Blackberry need to get the Classic right and you may be correct in that the delay is
    so a large stock of the Classic are ready for launch day,
    i see mainly 9900's in use but never a Q10 or any BB10 devices and many like myself
    waiting for the Classic.
    I guess will understand why this happened. BlackBerry is an underdog. Spending wisely is one major key to success for them thinking about this, it's just right to keep the production minimal. Besides, it's a surprise for people to hear that the sale of Passport is causing several batch of productions to run out of stock. So that's a plus for me
    AllanQuatermain and Mr4aces like this.
    10-13-14 06:40 AM
    I sure hope BB gets caught up on the PassPort. Lots of bad press regarding inventory. Lost of sales because opinions that are published? Let's hope the Q20 initial stock is more and doesn't sell out in less than 8 hours.
    10-16-14 02:01 PM
    Yesterday...when just trying to purchase from the Blackberry Shop...showed in stock...but when trying to put it in the shopping cart...still said backordered, out of stock...just sayin'...that was at about 8pm EST.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-16-14 02:06 PM
28 12