Hi everyone,

I just picked up the Classic yesterday after having the 9700 for the last five years. I am finding that the Classic freezes up fairly regularly and I have to wait several seconds before I can do anything with it. It does this frequently even after a fresh reboot and nothing running.

I can't tell if this is a common experience or if I simply have a lemon. Can anyone else chime in with their experience so far?
    allmotorsi likes this.
    12-22-14 11:46 AM
    I've run into this, but going to give it a few more days of usage to see if it settles in as I've added a couple of gmail accounts, evernote, Facebook, etc.

It's definitely not a snappy phone.
    12-22-14 11:47 AM
    Reload your OS using BlackBerry link and use device switch to transfer contacts from your old phone
    12-22-14 11:47 AM
    When you have a new device and have added accounts to it, the device will sync your accounts and index your data including anything on your SD card. While this is in progress, the device will seem sluggish. You need to wait a bit until everything is finished. Don't restart the device.
    bungaboy and ronfc like this.
    12-22-14 11:54 AM
    I have experienced some freezing with my Z 30.....not too many tho
    12-22-14 11:57 AM
    Does the freezing give a sense of being Classic?
    My Passport is giving me that sense now as it sometimes restarts on its own.
    step07, 2c, kbz1960 and 2 others like this.
    12-22-14 12:06 PM
    This isn't normal for a BB10 device, especially on a brand new device.

You should check a couple of things whenever your device is stuttering/ lagging.

Swipe down from top to see the quick settings and select/ tap device monitor.

Got my Classic yesterday --- it freezes a lot-img_20141222_232815.png

In the device monitor, select/ tap the memory tab.

Got my Classic yesterday --- it freezes a lot-img_20141222_232831.png

There you can find out what exactly is causing the device to slow down (by using up too much RAM).

Another area to look into is the sync interval for your emails, social media, cloud storage etc.

BTW, except some Android apps (via Snap) I haven't had any lags on my Q5 & Z30.

CB10 @ Q5
    bungaboy and RubberChicken76 like this.
    12-22-14 12:11 PM
    Does the freezing give a sense of being Classic?
    My Passport is giving me that sense now as it sometimes restarts on its own.
    what I thought in the Passport thread that this device has no fault what soever
    12-22-14 12:12 PM
    My z30 freezes and lags like hell after i autoloaded software and have setup my accounts.

It will go away normally.
    Once Everything is synced

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 12:23 PM
    Reload your OS using BlackBerry link and use device switch to transfer contacts from your old phone
    Actually don't use migration. Re setup from scratch.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 12:39 PM
    This isn't normal for a BB10 device, especially on a brand new device.

You should check a couple of things whenever your device is stuttering/ lagging.

Swipe down from top to see the quick settings and select/ tap device monitor.

In the device monitor, select/ tap the memory tab.

There you can find out what exactly is causing the device to slow down (by using up too much RAM).

Another area to look into is the sync interval for your emails, social media, cloud storage etc.

BTW, except some Android apps (via Snap) I haven't had any lags on my Q5 & Z30.

CB10 @ Q5
    It's high CPU usage that can make the phone seem to lag and lock up momentarily, not high memory usage.

Very high memory usage will lead to apps closing all by themselves or refusing to do anything further no matter how many times you tap a button to make the app do something, until you close another app first.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.1154 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    12-22-14 12:51 PM
    As we all know,

specs don't matter because BB10 is super duper therefore...

the slowness and lagging must be a... feature, it helps give the feeling of BB OS 6 & 7 for those transitioning to the Classic.
    12-22-14 12:59 PM
    I used the device to device app to transfer all my vids/pics and contacts to my new classic.

Haven't noticed any slowdown or lag. Not one freeze or reboot needed. Got the phone on the 17th, but from day one, no issues.

Maybe ring berry?

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 01:02 PM
    I'm just wondering if maybe u have some android apps installed maybe one of them is giving you troubles

Posted from my z10 via cb 10
    12-22-14 01:42 PM
    It's high CPU usage that can make the phone seem to lag and lock up momentarily, not high memory usage.

Very high memory usage will lead to apps closing all by themselves or refusing to do anything further no matter how many times you tap a button to make the app do something, until you close another app first.
    I have only had lagging issues with some Android apps and they didn't have high CPU usage, they were hogging too much RAM.

@OP: In the Storage tab both CPU and RAM usage for each individual app in the past 48 hours is available.

Got my Classic yesterday --- it freezes a lot-img_20141223_013228.png

CB10 @ Q5
    12-22-14 02:05 PM
    I've had lots of problems with new BB10 devices straight out of the box. Now I always do a complete wipe of the device before I set it up. This has eliminated a ton of maddening issues for me.
    12-22-14 02:37 PM
    I've had lots of problems with new BB10 devices straight out of the box. Now I always do a complete wipe of the device before I set it up. This has eliminated a ton of maddening issues for me.
    What in the hell, BlackBerry. Everything is so troubleshoot-y and technically oriented. I don't mind it for me, as I live for that hands-on scrappiness. But it makes it really hard to recommend the platform to normal people, friends, and family.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and blackguy07 like this.
    12-22-14 02:46 PM
    Everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions. I assume that all of my accounts are already synced up by now, though I am not sure how I can check that. I have not downloaded any Amazon apps --- the only app I have installed to this point is WhatsApp. The Android Player does seem to consistently take up 65MB to 70MB of memory, but I assume that should not be a problem.

I most notice the lags when I take the computer out of lock mode. I lock it by pressing the top button and unlock by pressing the same button and then swiping up. It can take quite a while for the phone to get working normally after that.

Not sure what to do here. The phone seems pretty good otherwise.
    12-22-14 02:53 PM
    What in the hell, BlackBerry. Everything is so troubleshoot-y and technically oriented. I don't mind it for me, as I live for that hands-on scrappiness. But it makes it really hard to recommend the platform to normal people, friends, and family.
    Have been using BB's since the original Pearl came out. Never had any issues with just out of box devices.

After restore is a totally different scenario though. So much that I haven't done a device restore using since BBOS 7.1! BlackBerry's PC softwares have always been buggy.

CB10 @ Q5
    12-22-14 02:58 PM
    I noticed a 30 second lag once, minutes after I first set up the phone. And a 2-second lag a couple of times. In five days of moderate use.
    12-22-14 05:45 PM
    I also saw some lag, i guess the name 'Classic' fits, it will definitely remind users of their old Bolds..
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-22-14 05:58 PM
    Had the Classic for three days and no issues. No freezes at all. But with every BB10 device, when the device is first run, there can be syncing issues with lots of email accounts, contacts and calendars. Couple of days and it goes away. I just used a small email account that I had with zero freezes in operation.
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-22-14 06:16 PM
    Thats y they call it the classic. I step backwards. what do u expect
    12-22-14 09:40 PM
    Hope you stop having issues with your phone. Try calling BB because severe lagging/freezing doesn't sound right for a new phone.

*rolls eyes* at the rest of the baiting comments
    12-22-14 10:07 PM
    When you have a new device and have added accounts to it, the device will sync your accounts and index your data including anything on your SD card. While this is in progress, the device will seem sluggish. You need to wait a bit until everything is finished. Don't restart the device.
    THIS. Looks like patience isn't a virtue anymore, eh?

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    12-23-14 02:05 AM
63 123