Hi,

I haven't updated my BlackBerry facebook app yet and my current version still works. Isn't it April 1 that the app would stop working?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 11:16 AM
    Support ends at the end of 2016 I believe....
    04-02-16 11:40 AM
    Nice.. this is the 10th post on this
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    04-02-16 02:26 PM
    Question: Does the world end and everyone die if Facebook ceases to function? Just for my own peace of mind...

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 06:24 PM
    Question: Does the world end and everyone die if Facebook ceases to function? Just for my own peace of mind...

Posted via CB10
    It's maybe an app in the world but for some it is a world!

Posted via CB10
    04-03-16 05:19 AM
    You'll find it start to send less and less information as the end points it interacts with start to get shutdown.

You have some time. But it's borrowed time now. And seems to vary from user to user (probably server to server).

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    04-03-16 12:40 PM
    Facebook... couldn't care less... Whatsapp... couldn't care less... Snapchat... couldn't careless... As long as I got email, phone, text and bbm... I'm cool... :-) oh, and the browser... haha...

Posted via CB10
    CivilDissident likes this.
    04-03-16 02:58 PM
    Facebook... couldn't care less... Whatsapp... couldn't care less... Snapchat... couldn't careless... As long as I got email, phone, text and bbm... I'm cool... :-) oh, and the browser... haha...

Posted via CB10
    I cosign on this^

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-03-16 03:26 PM
    You'll find it start to send less and less information as the end points it interacts with start to get shutdown.

You have some time. But it's borrowed time now. And seems to vary from user to user (probably server to server).

By this definition, that's the way that it's been for several months already (see "unable to load post" error message).

BlackBerry had not really even acknowledged the problems that had plagued the Facebook app until they claimed it would stop being supported on March 31st. Until then, the Facebook app was actually a part of the BB10 OS whereas now it isn't. It means less maintenance cost for BB10 which is completely in line with what BlackBerry is trying to do - trim away any fat wherever possible. Providing a date that support would end implies that it was still being supported up to that point and makes the announcement sound more official.

My money is on the fact that nobody at Facebook cares about how the BlackBerry app works right now because that's what it is - the 'BlackBerry App', not theirs. They aren't going to go through any trouble to 'disable' it. Chances are that some other features might degrade more and more yet but, in some form, the app will keep working indefinitely. That might also, however, require avoiding future OS updates unfortunately. Although... everything works pretty peachy right now as far as I'm concerned. On my old 9700 and 9800 I felt that the OS had peaked and I eventually downgraded to earlier releases and stopped upgrading. Perhaps I've reached that same point with my Passport and Classic. And, honestly, I'm OK with that.
    04-03-16 03:56 PM
    My money is on the fact that nobody at Facebook cares about how the BlackBerry app works right now because that's what it is - the 'BlackBerry App', not theirs. They aren't going to go through any trouble to 'disable' it..
    I think it's more likely, just my opinion, that they will be slowly changing their API structure. And as they do so they will just turn off end points to old systems.

My understanding is they would like very much to turn off the old end points. I doubt it will remain very long (i.e. Months), when I've worked at companies like them, it's usually an announcement right around when they start throwing the switches. Usually due to a security issue they need to patch in the API but don't want to invest the time.

04-03-16 06:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    And yet, here you are, posting away. Truly shows that you really couldn't care less.

*ME173X
    04-03-16 08:13 PM
    I gave up using FB app for BB10, i just use the FB link and use the browser instead.
    04-04-16 04:06 AM
    Is there any way to get back to the previous version? The app was so much better than what it's been reduced to. Also I didn't know that it would wipe out my contact list... this was very important and should have been mentioned.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 05:03 AM