Over the past few weeks, articles on a number of websites have referred to the BlackBerry Classic as outmoded. But the article on The Verge made me wonder: what’s particularly dated about the Classic? Does the fact that BlackBerry has employed a particular, venerable form factor make the phone outmoded, even if the device is updated in every way? If so, should the iPhone not be referred to as the iPhone Classic at this point? What has changed about its form factor since 2007? The front facing camera? The Classic has that too.

Probably the greatest changes in form factor over the last few years have occurred among Android handsets, but there’s nothing new there. Android handsets are really of the “who-should-we-emulate-this-year” variety. Android smartphones have come in a variety of designs, most frequently aping the iconic BlackBerry/Treo candybar design, the feature-phone-esque landscape slider, and of course, the now-ubiquitous iphone glass slab. All of those designs date back to 2007 or earlier. In fact, there are still android flip phones out there if you really want one.

If there’s been any innovation at all, it has simply been to make phones bigger – much bigger – whether that means wandering around with a tablet in your pocket, or stretching the BlackBerry form factor into the rather over-sized PassPort.

It seems to me that, in the history of cell phones, there have only been a few popular designs (candybar, flip, slider, slab). There has been nothing new in a long time.

So there you have it. I call B.S. on the Verge and all the self-righteous BlackBerry detractors out there. There are no new smartphone designs. They’re all dated. So just choose the aging design that suits you best.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 12-19-14 at 07:06 PM.
    12-19-14 12:41 PM
    Over the past few weeks, articles on a number of websites have referred to the BlackBerry Classic as outmoded. But the article on The Verge made me wonder: what’s particularly dated about the Classic? Does the fact that BlackBerry has employed to a particular, venerable form factor make the phone outmoded, even if the device is updated in every way? If so, should the iPhone not be referred to as the iPhone Classic at this point? What has changed about its form factor since 2007? The front facing camera? The Classic has that too.

Probably the greatest changes in form factor over the last few years have occurred among Android handsets, but there’s nothing new there. Android handsets are really of the “who-should-we-emulate-this-year” variety. Android smartphones have come in a variety of designs, most frequently aping the iconic BlackBerry/Treo candybar design, the feature-phone-esque landscape slider, and of course, the now-ubiquitous iphone glass slab. All of those designs date back to 2007 or earlier. In fact, there are still android flip phones out there if you really want one.

If there’s been any innovation at all, it has simply been to make phones bigger – much bigger – whether that means wandering around with a tablet in your pocket, or stretching the BlackBerry form factor into the rather over-sized PassPort.

It seems to me that, in the history of cell phones, there have only been a few popular designs (candybar, flip, slider, slab). There has been nothing new in a long time.

So there you have it. I call B.S. on the Verge and all the self-righteous BlackBerry detractors out there. There are no new smartphone designs. They’re all dated. So just choose the aging design that suits you best.
    I think you are right!
    Vintage123 and anon(8063781) like this.
    12-19-14 01:13 PM
    Well written sir.

The verge has always been pretty douchey when it comes to BlackBerry.

Most of the reputable sites have been quite positive about the classic.

#dirtythirty #naturalsound #CB10 #glassweave
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    12-19-14 01:44 PM
    Facts remain the same. Bb has a crap app ecosystem. The Amazon store and side loading aren't the answers. They aren't native. It's not clean. And the software doesn't get updated like they do on google and Apple. It's worse than red headed step child status.

The primary benefit is going with the physical keyboard that's super good at messaging. That's it.

It's alluring for a very niche segment and I'm in it. Kind of. I'll miss out on �ber. I'll miss out on flights and banking. I'll forgo Google maps and iTunes.

My classic is set for delivery today as I am typing on a new iPhone 6 that works really well but doesn't do messaging nearly as well as blackberry.
    12-19-14 02:00 PM
    If so, should the iPhone not be referred to as the iPhone Classic at this point?
    No, iPhone Classic should be a device with 640 x 960 4" screen (same resolution as iPhone 4, but a little bigger) and based on dual-core 1GHz Apple A5 SoC (from iPhone 4S back in 2012). Let's compare apples to blackberries, please. iPhone 6 (as a device and ecosystem) is not a Classic... it's a Dream for all the companies with 5% market share or under, including BlackBerry. I wish BlackBerry were as good as Apple, but there are not, unfortunately.

iPhone Classic will hit at least 5 million sales in first week after introduction just because it will be a better overall package than BlackBerry Classic. Even at $600 starting price.
    12-19-14 02:10 PM
    Don't be silly OP.....
    Join the hive-mind, follow the latest trends, think like a Twit(ter), and never let logic get in the way.

Conform and Obey!

From a Z30
    12-19-14 02:46 PM
    You definitely have some good points OP. I really think they could of hit it out of the park with a few more updates. I think most people foolishly think anything with a keyboard is outdated. Anyone that says specs don't matter has a point Until they use a passport or even Z30 and have to go back to the Classic. I think they might have been too focused on making a 9900 replacement. Android experience on 10.3.1 on Q10 is still lacking compared to Passport.

Edit: the Note Edge actually has something innovative and interesting albeit completely gimmicky.
    Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 02:57 PM
    [QUOTE=vbdwork;11177808]No, iPhone Classic should be a device with 640 x 960 4" screen (same resolution as iPhone 4, but a little bigger) and based on dual-core 1GHz Apple A5 SoC (from iPhone 4S back in 2012). Let's compare apples to blackberries, please. iPhone 6 (as a device and ecosystem) is not a Classic... it's a Dream for all the companies with 5% market share or under, including BlackBerry. I wish BlackBerry were as good as Apple, but there are not, unfortunately.

iPhone Classic will hit at least 5 million sales in first week after introduction just because it will be a better overall package than BlackBerry Classic. Even at $600 starting price.[/QUOTE

A
    Last edited by Aguilucho; 12-19-14 at 03:18 PM.
    12-19-14 03:02 PM
    No, iPhone Classic should be a device with 640 x 960 4" screen (same resolution as iPhone 4, but a little bigger) and based on dual-core 1GHz Apple A5 SoC (from iPhone 4S back in 2012). Let's compare apples to blackberries, please. iPhone 6 (as a device and ecosystem) is not a Classic... it's a Dream for all the companies with 5% market share or under, including BlackBerry. I wish BlackBerry were as good as Apple, but there are not, unfortunately.

iPhone Classic will hit at least 5 million sales in first week after introduction just because it will be a better overall package than BlackBerry Classic. Even at $600 starting price.
    Are you talking about iphone 6 that has the specs from 2012? Or the 6 and 6 plus that bend? BlackBerry surpasses Apple In many ways. Some of them quality, security, better email, and many others. Also you mean iphone 5s at $600 right? Now I have to admit Apple has better ecosystem and also was able to trap many consumers with their marketing. But that is about it. Unfortunately we have so many consumers that just comfort to the norm and to the fashion. To me BlackBerry is no fashion or a toy, to me is is a productivity machine. By the way, I have the apps that I need on my BlackBerry Z30.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 03:03 PM
    Are you talking about iphone 6 that has the specs from 2012?
    No, I'm talking about iPhone 6 that has specs from 2014 - first 64-bit mobile platform. Apple A8 dual-core 1.4 GHz Cyclone CPU is the on top of all processing benchmarks, and combined with powerful quad-core PowerVR GX6450 GPU makes iPhone 6 one of the fastest mobile devices currently on the market.

Also you mean iphone 5s at $600 right?
    No, I mean future iPhone Classic based on iPhone 4S. iPhone 5S is far ahead in terms of technology. We need something to compare to BlackBerry Classic, right?
    12-19-14 03:35 PM
    With 1gb of ram and no expandable storage. Yeah it doesn't need more memory since it doesn't do real multitasking but bb10 doesn't need super computer specs to run smoothly either.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 03:47 PM
    It's called the Classic because it's going back to a form factor that Blackberry hasn't had on a new device in over 3 years. They had the screen-toolbelt-keyboard form factor for so long, then abandoned that with the Z10, Z30, Q10 and Passport. This is their first new device since the 9900 with the same screen-toolbelt-keyboard. There can't be an iPhone Classic, because they have never moved away from the original candy bar slab. There would have never been a Coke Classic if they hadn't moved away from the standard and created New Coke.
    12-19-14 04:01 PM
    With 1gb of ram and no expandable storage. Yeah it doesn't need more memory since it doesn't do real multitasking but bb10 doesn't need super computer specs to run smoothly either.
    BB10 as OS runs smoothly, it's a fact. But apps require more and more processing power, it's a fact too. Compare simple Google Maps app on Q10/Classic and Passport. Just scroll the map up and down, left and right. Now switch to Satellite View and do the same. Do you see the difference? And yes, iOS with 1GB RAM runs actually better than BB10 with 2GB. True multitasking is a good thing, but on a PC where you see more than one open programs on the screen. How many you see on BB10 screen? Just don't say 8, because you can do nothing with an active frame minimized. Active frames are like limited functionality widgets in Android OS, nothing more. So, what's the real difference in this multitasking in BB10, iOS and Android?

...no expandable storage.
    I never had more than 64GB files on any of my mobile devices. Not a big concern. Can you use the SD card in BlackBerry for storing and running apps?
    12-19-14 04:04 PM
    [QUOTE=vbdwork;11178035]No, I'm talking about iPhone 6 that has specs from 2014 - first 64-bit mobile platform. Apple A8 dual-core 1.4 GHz Cyclone CPU is the on top of all processing benchmarks, and combined with powerful quad-core PowerVR GX6450 GPU makes iPhone 6 one of the fastest mobile devices currently on the market.

No, I mean future iPhone Classic based on iPhone 4S. iPhone 5S is far ahead in terms of technology. We need something to compare to BlackBerry Classic, right?[/QUOTE

So 64 bit processor and a upgraded graphics. That's about it? Lol. I rather have a better quality phone with good speed than going to the apple store and changing the phone because I had it on my pockets and it bent. Ohh I forgot to mention how many of my customers bricked their iPhone trying to upgrade to IOS 8 and lost all their information. Look I understand iphone is not a bad product but man you Apple consumers have to admit when a product has problems and become inferior to the competition. By the way Avast antivirus is available for download for IOS8 just in case to protect against a virus.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 07:25 PM
    My reference to the 'iPhone Classic' was tongue-in-cheek, and related to form factor and the level of innovation. The points about specs and apps are spot on, as is the comment with the reference to 'New Coke'! For me, the key point was that form factor alone doesn't make a device "yesterday's smartphone," given that all of the designs are pretty dated. I think you could still make a really good device based on any of the form factors (I forgot about clamshells in the original post), and it's a shame that most of the market is dominated by one approach.
    Vintage123 likes this.
    12-19-14 07:28 PM
    So 64 bit processor and a upgraded graphics. That's about it?
    Just enough to beet any other SoC on the market, including octa-core variants.

I rather have a better quality phone with good speed than going to the apple store and changing the phone because I had it on my pockets and it bent.
    If you're stupid enough to apply more than 40kg pressure on it, then yes - it will bend. I can personally bend or brake with my 2 hands only any given big screen mobile phone, including BlackBerry Passport. Do you want me to try on yours? Total destruction guaranteed in less than 60 seconds.
    12-19-14 07:42 PM
    I'll miss out on �ber. I'll miss out on flights and banking. I'll forgo Google maps.
    Why would you miss out on Uber? Both Ober and the mobile website work just fine.

For flights, the android apps of most flight companies work reasonably well, if a little slowly.

And Google Maps has been working nicely on BB10 for over a year now, as long as you don't use Google Services.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    12-19-14 07:50 PM
    I recall listening to a radio car talk show where the caller wanted info on a new Chevy Caprise Classic but the host was confused because a "classic" car was usually something older than 20 years. It can be both a name and a description.

The thing that gets me is that the switch from PKB to VKB was originally driven more by the screen size benefit, more screen when you weren't using the KB, than by the preference to tap on glass over actual keys. But now the media condemns the PKB BBs as technology nobody wanted. Since the screen size issue has mostly been removed, and with the constant complaints I see from many people typing on VKBs, a PKB device should really appeal to more users, but the carriers and the media scare anyone away from them.

I think you are right!
    Did you really need to quote the lengthy OP to designate what you were replying to when you're the first reply?
    12-19-14 08:19 PM
    Just enough to beet any other SoC on the market, including octa-core variants.

If you're stupid enough to apply more than 40kg pressure on it, then yes - it will bend. I can personally bend or brake with my 2 hands only any given big screen mobile phone, including BlackBerry Passport. Do you want me to try on yours? Total destruction guaranteed in less than 60 seconds.
    You know what I Challenge you to put your 6 not the 6 plus in your pockets and bend down to tie your shoes while sitting down and let me know what happened. I'm not making thinks up just to make Apple look bad. Three if my friends hat iphone 6G and bent. One of them replaced it twice. Now he went back to the iPhone 5s. It is just ashame that consumers are so blind and like you said stupid. They love Apple so much that can even live in reality. You know what is bad that they are dishonest with them selves. I bet most of the people that have their phone bent didn't even tell anybody just not to make Apple look bad. But you know keep loving your product and I keep loving mine. Just don't get sunk in unreality. The good thing is that there's is a phone for all kind of consumers. And things keep getting better for some. Peace..out

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Aguilucho; 12-19-14 at 10:12 PM.
    12-19-14 08:27 PM
    I agree, the design of iPhone 6 is not the best. I personally don't own one and I have no plans to go back to Apple anytime soon. You can read my opinion on Apple products here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post11159612
    12-19-14 09:04 PM