Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Do you feel the Q10 will still be better than the Classic?

Does anyone here feel that Thorsten was right? That the Q10 is the perfect marriage of old and new?

Whenever I pick up my bold to play, I love the hardware, but man bb10 is so much better than bb7.

We can all agree that the classic will be an amazing device for those that love the bold. But has anyone here used a bold, then got a Q10, and has no interest whatsoever in getting a classic?

I'm on the fence. I'll have to wait to read CrackBerry.com and watch some video reviews before I decide.
    Thanked by:
    jay tice (06-14-2014) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by d987654321 View Post
    Does anyone here feel that Thorsten was right? That the Q10 is the perfect marriage of old and new?

Whenever I pick up my bold to play, I love the hardware, but man bb10 is so much better than bb7.

We can all agree that the classic will be an amazing device for those that love the bold. But has anyone here used a bold, then got a Q10, and has no interest whatsoever in getting a classic?

I'm on the fence. I'll have to wait to read CrackBerry.com and watch some video reviews before I decide.
    Me... I'm heading for the Q20/30 or Windermere... I don't need a belt anymore...
    I had a bold 9900... after a curve... so used to the keyboard... trackpad? Why... just use shift and the whole screen is your trackpad... OS10 rocks! No turning back... After a safe double usage for 6 months till I got used to my Q and trusted it (reliability, capability), I switched completely. I no longer use my bold.

BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    CrackBerry Genius

My only "need" is a slightly bigger screen... When I had the bold, I always thought... "Why not a square screen"... Now I have it and think... "Why not an extra row of icons"... It has 4x3 icons on the screen now... It could be better with 5x4 for example... It has not to be much bigger... say1.2 times only... Too big/Z30-size and it becomes clumpsy... if the word is suitable... It still has to fit into my front Jeans-pocket!!
    Cheers!

BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    BGK likes this.
  4. tfp
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,733 Global Posts

The tool belt seems like it would almost be counter-intuitive with BB10. Personally, I have never used a BB10 device (I've had a Z10, Q10 back to Z10 and now a Z30) and felt like my experience would be enhance with a tool belt.

I'm sure there are some users who would feel like they benefit from having it and I'm sure they are the ones that it's geared towards. I'm just not one of them.

Posted via CB10
    Don't take Life so seriously, you'll never get out alive

Global Posts
    7,161 Global Posts
    PIN
    C001230B3

Hardware wise, I have a feeling that the Classic will be slightly worse than the Q10 (no HDMI, all other things being equal). The only other differentiator, the trackpad, is meaningless to someone who successfully transitioned from a Bold 9900 to a Z10/Z30.
    tool belt (n.): A belt for tools
    Carjackd likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,623 Global Posts

Had the Bold since it was released...the Q10 since it was released. Love them both, but can't wait for the 20.
    donemt likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    37,134 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thurask View Post
    Hardware wise, I have a feeling that the Classic will be slightly worse than the Q10 (no HDMI, all other things being equal). The only other differentiator, the trackpad, is meaningless to someone who successfully transitioned from a Bold 9900 to a Z10/Z30.
    I agree Thur . I'm sure some will love the device for bringing back some of the old...but I'm so far past that now.

Posted via my Kick @ss Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    957, 6210, 7230, 7100, 8130, 8700, 8300, 8800, 9000, 9800, 9900, Z10, Z30.....?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Carjackd View Post
    I agree Thur . I'm sure some will love the device for bringing back some of the old...but I'm so far past that now.

Posted via my Kick @ss Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    Its not about "old". Its not about "past". Its all about what simply works best for what you do. If I don't get a 20, it'll be because I feel its too big for my tastes. Trackpads don't need acres of screen real estate for efficient navigation.
    donemt likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I think it'll be a hit with the enterprise folk - and it should also coincide with upgrade cycles as well, so hopefull that'll help boost sales.

I think I'll be getting a classic - i can see how'd it be useful for people who make a lot of phone calls and document editing.

The shift key function on the Q10 while useful, only allows you to select text, not move the cursor around to a desired spot - which I think is what really makes a trackpad useful.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Does anyone here feel that Thorsten was right? That the Q10 is the perfect marriage of old and new?........."
    Well, since you asked, I feel Thorsten was dead wrong. About a great many things. But this is a Q20 forum so I'll stick with your Q10 subject. .

Thorsten was wrong because:

1). Efficient glass navigation requires screen real-estate.

2). Keyboards eat up screen real-estate.

3). The Trackpad's pixel sized pointer helps mitigate that loss of screen real-estate.

A keyboard device without a trackpad is a miserable "marriage", IMO. I migrated from Bold to Z to Q and back to Bold. I found my Q10 to be insulting. I still dig it out when ever I need reminding of just how wrong humanity can get it, when they really try. Lol. Remember, you asked in a Q20 forum. .

".........Whenever I pick up my bold to play, I love the hardware, but man bb10 is so much better than bb7. ......."
    BB10 is still maturing. BB7.1 is relatively mature. QNX's 10 is still missing some of BB7 functionality. "Better" is subjective.

"........ has anyone here used a bold, then got a Q10, and has no interest whatsoever in getting a classic?......"
    With all possible respect, why would you expect someone that "has no interest whatsoever in getting a classic" to be reading this in a Classic forum? Just curious. ??

"........I'm on the fence. I'll have to wait to read CrackBerry.com and watch some video reviews before I decide.
    I suggest you pick your Bold up and imagine the hardware you love successfully "married" with the OS10 you love. If that doesn't form a "perfect marriage", it'll be because developers failed to leverage QNX's capabilities. OR, because the thing is miserably larger than a trackpad device needs to be.
    Last edited by idssteve; 06-02-2014 at 12:31 AM.
    DeliFresser likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

I dont need the trackpad! I only need call answer/end buttons.
    If they could implement answering a phonecall by pressing one of this keys:
    Q W E R

End with:

U I O P

Then I think I'll stay with my Q10

Posted via Q10Bold
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,237 Global Posts

You kind of answered your own question. You like the hardware features of the Bold but the OS of the Q10. The Classic will have the hardware features of the Bold and the OS of the Q10, so...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10?
    idssteve likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Q10Bold View Post
    I dont need the trackpad! I only need call answer/end buttons.
    If they could implement answering a phonecall by pressing one of this keys:
    Q W E R

End with:

U I O P

Then I think I'll stay with my Q10

Posted via Q10Bold
    It sure looks like shortcut key provisions like you describe shouldn't be so difficult to implement. But then how many months did we wait for what keyboard functionality we got? Have you asked the folks at the Q10 forum about any apps that might do that?
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by idssteve View Post
    It sure looks like shortcut key provisions like you describe shouldn't be so difficult to implement. But then how many months did we wait for what keyboard functionality we got? Have you asked the folks at the Q10 forum about any apps that might do that?
    No, but maybe I should

Posted via Q10Bold
    CrackBerry Addict

The OPs question is difficult to answer since we don't actually have a Classic to see and touch. But as a long time 9900 user, I say yes, it will be better as long as they preserve the screen space of the Q10. The Q10's screen size is just a wee bit too small, and if they dig into that space to put in the belt, I'm basically back to the 9900 screen size. But as far as the lighting speed and efficiency created by having more physical buttons at the ready, combined with an OS that actually works for internet, then it will be a nice combo. Every time I pick up the 9900 with it's buttons I'm reminded of how fast I am with it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slagman5 View Post
    You kind of answered your own question. You like the hardware features of the Bold but the OS of the Q10. The Classic will have the hardware features of the Bold and the OS of the Q10, so...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10?
    Not really because his questions were "Does anyone here feel that Thorsten was right? That the Q10 is the perfect marriage of old and new?"

and "But has anyone here used a bold, then got a Q10, and has no interest whatsoever in getting a classic?"

CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Nemzy View Post
    .... his questions were "Does anyone here feel that Thorsten was right? That the Q10 is the perfect marriage of old and new?"

and "But has anyone here used a bold, then got a Q10, and has no interest whatsoever in getting a classic?"

Personally, my answers to this are:
    No, Thorsten was wrong about this (among other things) because a perfect marriage doesn't require that one side give up some major part of who you are to get married.
    The Bold lost a lot of things, including 5 buttons and a trackpad. The Z10 lost.....um.....some screen space. This was more like a marriage with a pre-nup and the Z10 had a much better lawyer.

and....

No, I used a bold, then got a q10, and can't wait for a classic.
    idssteve likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by thurask View Post
    Slightly off topic but I haven't been following the development of the Classic too closely as I've migrated to an all touch device and haven't looked bad. This is the first that I've heard of the Classic not having a HDMI output in it and to be honest, I find it shocking that they decided to take this feature out!!

I have a z10 and the HDMI feature is one of my most used features on this phone. Our management team at work just had their Bolds upgraded to Q10s. Most of them complain about them because they miss the track pad ('don't worry, they're coming out with a Classic' has been my response) however one of the most commonly used features that they use on their Q10s is also the HDMI feature. All of the board rooms/conference rooms in the office have flat screen tvs in them for presentation purposes. These tvs now all have Micro HDMI cords hanging from them so the management team can just walk in, plug in their phones and away they go. I know it's just one example in one office but if the Classic is released without an HDMI output, I think there's a lot of people who were looking forward to it that will end up extremely frustrated with BlackBerry's decision making. And frustrating people with these kinds of decisions over the last few years is exactly what got BlackBerry into this mess in the first place.

Sad to see they haven't learned their lesson: Innovate to make each phone better than the last. Don't sacrifice things from the past when making a new phone and then use the excuse 'people won't miss it because we feel they don't need it'.
    Thanked by:
    idssteve (06-02-2014) 
    idssteve likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

As I mentioned in other posts, the only thing I don't like about the classic will be it's physical size. The renders people are doing are great, hopefully they're accurate.

I like the smaller footprint of the bold, the smaller size is more comfortable for my hands and it slips into a pocket easier for me.

I don't notice any difference with a straight or curved keyboard.

Personally, I just don't like bigger phones. For me the bigger a phone is,the less you can use it one handed. If it's taller, and you're using it two handed to type on the keyboard, for me it gets "top heavy."

This was one of my peeves with the torch, especially using the phone slid open laying in bed.

For me, software always gets better and it's a matter of being patient. Bb10 is awesome and will surpass bb7 eventually. So since you can't change the physical size of the phone you're going to be using the next 6 months to 2 years, it's best to get one that's a perfect size in your hands, pockets etc
    idssteve and riss89 like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
    Slightly off topic but I haven't been following the development of the Classic too closely as I've migrated to an all touch device and haven't looked bad. This is the first that I've heard of the Classic not having a HDMI output in it and to be honest, I find it shocking that they decided to take this feature out!!

I have a z10 and the HDMI feature is one of my most used features on this phone. Our management team at work just had their Bolds upgraded to Q10s. Most of them complain about them because they miss the track pad ('don't worry, they're coming out with a Classic' has been my response) however one of the most commonly used features that they use on their Q10s is also the HDMI feature. All of the board rooms/conference rooms in the office have flat screen tvs in them for presentation purposes. These tvs now all have Micro HDMI cords hanging from them so the management team can just walk in, plug in their phones and away they go. I know it's just one example in one office but if the Classic is released without an HDMI output, I think there's a lot of people who were looking forward to it that will end up extremely frustrated with BlackBerry's decision making. And frustrating people with these kinds of decisions over the last few years is exactly what got BlackBerry into this mess in the first place.

Sad to see they haven't learned their lesson: Innovate to make each phone better than the last. Don't sacrifice things from the past when making a new phone and then use the excuse 'people won't miss it because we feel they don't need it'.
    This is the first I've heard about loss of hdmi, too. I'd like to hear validation on that but IF true I'll not only be disappointed, I'll feel insulted and betrayed.

I've already stuck my neck out convincing management & IT to delay transition to ruggedized Casio by convincing them the Q20 would be worth the wait. Hdmi was one of the features of the Z&Q we missed. Now, IF this is true, we're looking forward to an uncomfortably sized device, immature OS, loss of charging contact, loss of accessory key, and now, IF TRUE (???) not even hdmi to help compensate those losses!

The belt adds a LOT to our operational productivity. Will it offer enough to offset the losses? If BBRY is dedicated to crippling its only OS10 belt model to the point management throws up their hands and goes to glass, its pretty inconceivable that they would even consider BBRY glass, at this point.

One of my coworkers gets a guaranteed laugh with his conspiracy theory that Apple Agents have infiltrated BBRY and destroying it from within. I'm not laughing today.

I understand that no mere mortal has seen the device but someone please tell me this loss of hdmi is just false rumor. ???
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    987 Global Posts

When I was prepping my 9930 to trade in for my Z30 I thought to myself what a great feel, balance, keyboard the 9930 has. Having set it aside for the Z10 for a nearly a year I didn't realize how much I liked it. It would have been awesome to run BB10 on the 9930. Which brings me to the Q10, I waited patiently for. Alas it didn't have the feel, the weight, balance, spirit of Blackberry. I opted instead for the Z10 at that time. If Blackberry is progressing away from the keyboard, so must I. And I did without regret as it turns out, even though it didn't have the feel, balance, or spirit of Blackberry, it was damned functional and a breeze to learn. Enter the Z30, now that's the spirit of Blackberry, the weight, feel, and a clear bright screen for aging eyes. I will be hard pressed to switch from this devise.
    Anyway, I don't think the Classic is designed for the general populace but rather the enterprise. I hope it is anyway and I hope it has some tricks up its sleeve that makes it an unavoidable choice for enterprise deployment.
    HAVE A GREAT BB10 DAY!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,237 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nemzy View Post
    Not really because his questions were "Does anyone here feel that Thorsten was right? That the Q10 is the perfect marriage of old and new?"

But he also says this:
    "Whenever I pick up my bold to play, I love the hardware, but man bb10 is so much better than bb7. "

I think he's yet another one that thinks the Classic will have BBOS7 in it...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,237 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post

I don't know, everyone is going by what they are seeing within 10.3 as legit and finalized official specs of the Classic. I think they did that for the Z3 as well and those specs turned out to be wrong, so I think I am going to hold out a bit longer. There's a chance that they haven't even built one yet...
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

Quote Originally Posted by slagman5 View Post
    But he also says this:
    "Whenever I pick up my bold to play, I love the hardware, but man bb10 is so much better than bb7. "

I think he's yet another one that thinks the Classic will have BBOS7 in it...
    Definitely not, I'm very current on everything. Don't assume.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thorsten was completely wrong for BB10. He should have started BB10 with user interface same as that of BBOS to reduce development time and to avoid confusing features.

riss89 likes this.
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast