With the tool belt back there's no need for the swipe up gesture and there's no need to land on the homeswitcher.

If you want to go to open apps you should be able to hold down blackberry key and since home switcher screen rotates the apps there's no consistency when switching between apps because they constantly shuffle and user has to look again for there last app.

I've been in usability for over 10 years and can explain more of my logic but question --- can this homeswitcher be disabled? If not, what about a leaked version?
    01-01-15 08:16 AM
    I agree with you on this. A blackberry user will have a habit of pressing the hang up key to go to the APP list screen, and hold the BB Key for the Homeswitcher screen
    01-01-15 09:25 AM
    With the tool belt back there's no need for the swipe up gesture and there's no need to land on the homeswitcher.

If you want to go to open apps you should be able to hold down blackberry key and since home switcher screen rotates the apps there's no consistency when switching between apps because they constantly shuffle and user has to look again for there last app.

I've been in usability for over 10 years and can explain more of my logic but question --- can this homeswitcher be disabled? If not, what about a leaked version?
    it does not on mine
    01-01-15 09:38 AM
    The easy switch between apps feature from BBOS is gone. Doubt it will return but can only hope.
    01-01-15 09:54 AM
    I'm a little lost on what you are trying to say here. You want to disable the swipe up gesture, and just use buttons to get to the home screen? Or do you want to disable the homescreen all together? And by homescreen I mean the active frames.

I can agree on a option to remove the swipe up gesture if you don't use it. Personally I love the peak gesture so I would like to keep it on, but I can see why others might not want it. I would not expect to see the active frames gone thought. They are at the core of the OS and the UX. And I love them. One of the reasons I am here.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 10:13 AM
    The easy switch between apps feature from BBOS is gone. Doubt it will return but can only hope.
    You bbosers are relentless. The active frames are easier than the old app switcher. You hit end and then you tap the frame you want. How could it be any easier? You even get a little picture of the state it was in when you left it. You never got that in BBoS

Posted via CB10
    Xenolock likes this.
    01-01-15 10:16 AM
    I actually think the toolbelt should be removed for a bigger screen. The swipe and touch gestures are good enough.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    01-01-15 12:03 PM
    I actually think the toolbelt should be removed for a bigger screen. The swipe and touch gestures are good enough.

you are right except the copy and paste which is a choir sometimes with touch screen
    01-01-15 12:11 PM
    and since home switcher screen rotates the apps there's no consistency when switching between apps because they constantly shuffle and user has to look again for there last app.
    Since 10.3.1 it doesn't do this anymore. Active frames minimize to the same spot every time. If you have a classic you should know this as it came loaded with 10.3.1...

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 01:50 PM

Then... don't get the Classic... Never seen a problem solved more easily... *thumbs up*

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    01-01-15 05:07 PM
    Lol... swipe up gesture is ok I guess... the peak view is useful...

The activate frame switcher is a joke and takes me more time to find active frame and on small screen it only shows 4 tiles which is garbage...

It's easier for me to switch between say browser and pictures by navigating to the home screen where the icons remain static and do not rotate...

This faulty design causes the user to constantly think, look for, and tap rotating targets to navigate through apps... this has killed my multi tasking efficiency and is draining to use over time...

1 small change is disable this active frame screen completely for the classic... keep the swipe up peak gesture... to navigate between apps either hold down the BlackBerry key for app switcher or hit end key and return to home icon screen to launch app... BIG results by making this small change but what do I know

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 10:07 PM
    [QUOTE=edhgreatone;11219441]Lol... swipe up gesture is ok I guess... the peak view is useful...

The activate frame switcher is a joke and takes me more time to find active frame and on small screen it only shows 4 tiles which is garbage..

only 4 tiles..where from the home screen? at glance, yes, total 8

I
    t's easier for me to switch between say browser and pictures by navigating to the home screen where the icons remain static and do not rotate...
    ....the active frame do not rotate

1 small change is disable this active frame screen completely for the classic... keep the swipe up peak gesture... to navigate between apps either hold down the BlackBerry key for app switcher or hit end key and return to home icon screen to launch app... BIG results by making this small change but what do I know
    very easy to navigate between active frame using the trackpad and the back key
    01-01-15 10:16 PM
    How many apps are you keeping open at a time? I'm assuming more than 4?

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 02:12 PM
    why does it a difference having more than 4 open?
    01-03-15 02:18 PM
    First 4 are always static, second set of 4 still rotate with most recent being in the first slot of the second set. The second set still uses the old algorithm so that you don't blow away the app you're currently using if it's in the 8th spot and you open something new.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 02:28 PM
    First 4 are always static, second set of 4 still rotate with most recent being in the first slot of the second set. The second set still uses the old algorithm so that you don't blow away the app you're currently using if it's in the 8th spot and you open something new.

Posted via CB10
    you're right..If you only use 7 active frames then they do not rotate
    01-03-15 02:39 PM

I like the touch screen capabilities combined with the tool belt. Just my opinion of course. Your opinion is just yours.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 02:43 PM
    I think this thread has proved my point... nobody really knows really how the active frames work lol...

If BB's power users are confused... imagine the average person picking up a BB for the 1st time...

DISABLE this or atleast make it an option to disable... this homeswitcher is almost as bad as BBOS screen where you'd swipe to go to media folder, apps folder etc.
    01-03-15 04:36 PM
    I think this thread has proved my point...
    nobody really knows really how the active frames work lol.

If BB's power users are confused... imagine the average person picking up a BB for the 1st time...

DISABLE this or atleast make it an option to disable... this homeswitcher is almost as bad as BBOS screen where you'd swipe to go to media folder, apps folder etc.
    not true on Z30 it works one way and on Classic it is different..just need time to discover it
    01-03-15 05:14 PM
    I think this thread has proved my point... nobody really knows really how the active frames work lol...

No. Nobody is confused. I still have a z30 not a classic yet. They recently changed how it works. The bbos app switcher is inferior. Active frames are better than little app icons

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 05:25 PM
    The way it was for me in 10.3.1 is that the top 4 active frames would all be in a static formation based on what order they were opened in (unless you manually re-ordered them). The next 4 frames--that you have to swipe down to see--arranged themselves according to the order that you used them last.

For example, if you had the browser as 5th and CB as 6th, then opened calculator, then minimized calculator, the calculator's frame would be in the top left spot. If you tapped on the CB frame then exited that, the CB frame would be in the top left, with the calculator in the top right.

This way of re-ordering the bottom 4 frames by bumping them down a notch when a new app was opened then minimized was how ALL active frames were ordered before 10.3.1. That order changed the positions of the frames more, but it also meant that the more recently used apps were kept more towards the top of the pile. I got used to this way and found it to be efficient because it was automatically ordering the frames by the frequency in which I used them. However, the new way is a little easier to get used to if you are new to BB10, or if you tend to run a lot of apps at once.

Does the Classic's active frames behavior differ from how I described it?

From a Z30
    01-04-15 12:08 AM
    No its the same on all devices generally.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 10:26 AM
    The way it was for me in 10.3.1 is that the top 4 active frames would all be in a static formation based on what order they were opened in (unless you manually re-ordered them). The next 4 frames--that you have to swipe down to see--arranged themselves according to the order that you used them last.

For example, if you had the browser as 5th and CB as 6th, then opened calculator, then minimized calculator, the calculator's frame would be in the top left spot. If you tapped on the CB frame then exited that, the CB frame would be in the top left, with the calculator in the top right.

This way of re-ordering the bottom 4 frames by bumping them down a notch when a new app was opened then minimized was how ALL active frames were ordered before 10.3.1. That order changed the positions of the frames more, but it also meant that the more recently used apps were kept more towards the top of the pile. I got used to this way and found it to be efficient because it was automatically ordering the frames by the frequency in which I used them. However, the new way is a little easier to get used to if you are new to BB10, or if you tend to run a lot of apps at once.

Does the Classic's active frames behavior differ from how I described it?

From a Z30
    On my z30 running 1949, the active frames do NOT rearrange unless you have 8 open. If you have 7 nothing moves. If you have 8 then the bottom 4 will rearrange. I've never noticed this before because I've never had any reason to keep 8 apps running in active frames at once.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 06:23 PM