This isn't meant to be some long winded thought provoking post.

But I do feel that blackberry classic is really missing that 'curve keyboard' sexiness that defines a blackberry.

I own a Q10 and yes the keyboard is absolutely fantastic.

But if you look at the aesthetics, the straight keyboard makes the phone a little generic and dare i say even more outdated than it is.

To curve or not to curve.-285565d1405629790t-bold-next-q10-next-classic-bold-q10-classic.jpg

The curved keyboard has always made the phone stand out in terms of design and aesthetic appeal.

It's upsetting to me that more thought hasn't gone into the look of the upcoming phone (even though I will be purchasing one).

Fingers crossed they bring back one day the sleek curves of the blackberry to ring true to what the classic is all about.

just my opinion
    10-28-14 04:29 AM
    I work in app and web development. We make decisions each and every day about our products that might not make sense at all to the end user. Often there are technical reasons for us not being able to make something happen, and the solutions fall short of the ideal situation .

Overall I'm not sure why blackberry ditched the curved keyboard in the classic. I can say that there's a possibility that the curve might have a negative effect on the size of the send and end keys. Seems they made the toolbelt smaller to bring the touchscreen closer.

Just a guess. Point is the decision making process in something like this can go far beyond ascetic appeal.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 07:05 AM
    It is more space efficient to use a square keyboard rather than a round one. I'm sure that is the main reason

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 04:37 PM
    This isn't meant to be some long winded thought provoking post.

But I do feel that blackberry classic is really missing that 'curve keyboard' sexiness that defines a blackberry.

I own a Q10 and yes the keyboard is absolutely fantastic.

But if you look at the aesthetics, the straight keyboard makes the phone a little generic and dare i say even more outdated than it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	285565d1405629790t-bold-next-q10-next-classic-bold-q10-classic.jpg 
Views:	1437 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	310010

The curved keyboard has always made the phone stand out in terms of design and aesthetic appeal.

It's upsetting to me that more thought hasn't gone into the look of the upcoming phone (even though I will be purchasing one).

Fingers crossed they bring back one day the sleek curves of the blackberry to ring true to what the classic is all about.

just my opinion
    A lot of 9900 users like the ergonomic keyboard. We won't get it this time and looks like it will die with the Bold.
    10-28-14 06:36 PM
    I actually found the straight keyboard of the Q10 be better than the curved one we got on previous Bolds. Getting used to it wasn't hard at all, since the whole key layout still is the same, the keys just line up straight, that's all.
    Of course I agree, the Classic would be more classic if it would sport the traditional curved keyboard and, well, would've got a convenience key for quick access to important functions.

But personally I really can't see this being a deal breaker for anyone.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 02:28 AM
    I would imagine a lot of ergonomic and typing studies and trials were involved to come up with the new straight design. It also may have been easier and less problematic to make a straight rather than a curved one.

That being said, the curved shape was pleasing aesthetically. But I kinda like the new look too. And, of course, I'm typing on a straight, virtual keyboard now..lol

Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Z3 running BlackBerry 10 - 2BBEAACF
    irdeto likes this.
    10-30-14 03:11 AM
    A lot of 9900 users like the ergonomic keyboard. We won't get it this time and looks like it will die with the Bold.
    Maybe you should consider trying the straight keyboard. It's not that bad.
    10-30-14 06:03 PM
    I concur, OP. Between the 9900 and the Q10, I much prefer the curved keyboard in all aspects. And I somehow type a bit faster on it. To me the 9900 is still the best-looking phone they ever made.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 10:32 PM
    If the keyboard of the Classic was to curve, the already-thin toolbelt would be in a weird shape especially for the send and cancel key. Or if they tried to make the key wider to fix it, the classic would have to be longer which will feel weird. My opinion. I always prefer the "not to curve" option anw.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 08:38 AM
    Curved keyboard will remind people of "those crappy old blackberries"

Z30 STA 100-2
    11-05-14 09:34 AM
    The ergonomic qualities of the curved keyboards were always overrated anyway: http://latentvalue.blogspot.com/2010...layout-of.html

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 05:46 PM
    Aesthetically I prefer a curved keyboard, but I type great on my Q10's straight keyboard. I don't type better or worse when comparing my Q10 to 9900.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 08:38 PM
    The curve keyboard make it feel easier for the thumb joints when moving to the side keys.
    I guess it could all begin as simple as when trying to give a new fresh look for the first BB10 keyboard, they just changed it from curve to straight . Thanks God they did not make it a V-shape keyboard.
    11-06-14 11:34 AM
    I thought I was alone with that feeling. Yes, I actually like the look of a curved keyboard much more than the straight, kind of boring look.

I think at first it was to gain more space. As the Q10 did not have a toolbelt it didn't make sense to curve the keyboard.
    So I guess with the classic they just wanted to stick to that, making it a BB10 specific design.

And maybe it is cheaper to produce straight keyboards, but that's just a thought.
    11-06-14 01:59 PM
    I am a better typed on the old curve keyboard that has more spaces between the keys, I can feel the keys better, rarely mistype and can type without looking nearly flawlessly... I find the q10 and 9900 keyboards equal as far as my typing speed and typos... I almost got a q5 because of the keyboard, love the spaces between keys.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-07-14 09:57 PM