Hey all,

My 1st post at the forum but I've been lurking for a few months now. I currently have an iPhone 5, which I enjoy, but am considering getting a Classic. The only previous Blackberry I ever owned as an 8810. I was hoping for everyone's 2 cents on my situation. I'm just looking for input from BB Classic owners.

I've been considering switching back to Blackberry for the following reasons:
    • I really miss having a physical keyboard.
    • I am a bit nostalgic since I enjoyed my old BB so much
    • I do not want an Android based phone (for a variety of reasons I'd rather not get into)
    • I essentially use my phone for emailing, txt messaging, google maps, tune in radio, podcasting, and music. The only other apps I generally use are Evernote

The biggest reasons I am worried about switching are:

• Seemingly impeding death of BB10
    • I rely upon iMessage a lot. My parent's only use an iPad. I know iMessage is not available on a BB.

Thanks all.
    01-06-16 10:52 AM
    Hey all,

My 1st post at the forum but I've been lurking for a few months now. I currently have an iPhone 5, which I enjoy, but am considering getting a Classic. The only previous Blackberry I ever owned as an 8810. I was hoping for everyone's 2 cents on my situation. I'm just looking for input from BB Classic owners.

• I do not want an Android based phone (for a variety of reasons I'd rather not get into)
    • I essentially use my phone for emailing, txt messaging, google maps, tune in radio, podcasting, and music. The only other apps I generally use are Evernote

• I rely upon iMessage a lot. My parent's only use an iPad. I know iMessage is not available on a BB.

Thanks all.
    If you need iMessage, you have no choice than using iOS devices.
    01-06-16 10:54 AM
    You could also try other forms of messaging? I think (not sure) there was WhatsApp for iPad, BBM for iOS was not the best experience for me, could have gotten better over time, Skype, etc.. If iMessage is a must, then iOS would be the only option.
    For me, the Classic looks really nice, and felt good in my hands. For emails, text, evernote, it is a great device. On my Blackberry, I use the default maps since I'm not into patching Google apps for use. I can't say anything about podcasts or tune in radio since I don't use them.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    01-06-16 11:03 AM
    I went from an iPhone 5s to a Classic. The Classic is great for messaging. What aspects of iMessage do you utilize that are different than standard MMS and SMS? Other than delivery status and getting messages on multiple devices simultaneously, I am unsure what advantages iMessage has over regular cellular messaging standards. Is it just that your parents are using iMessage on their iPad(s)?

The app experience is not as good on the Classic as the iPhone, and the screen form factor is very different. It takes some getting used to.
    01-06-16 11:47 AM
    It's all there I do not know about podcasting though and imessage won't work but isn't it the same as using the likes of bbm? You won't be able to use imessage either if you switch so if you need it that bad you may want to reconsider.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 11:50 AM
    The Classic is a great device, especially if your primary use will be messaging. I use Google Maps and didn't have to 'patch' anything. It works just fine as is for my uses.

The biggest thing you will be without is iMessage so that's really the only thing you'd have to consider.
    01-06-16 12:08 PM
    . Is it just that your parents are using iMessage on their iPad(s)?
    Thanks for the reply. My parent's are not very tech savy, and it is just very convenient to use iMessage with them on their iPad. My brothers also have iPhones, so communicating with everyone is very easy.
    01-06-16 12:26 PM
    I am someone who has switched from an iPhone 6 to a Classic and back again and I'm currently on a 5s for reasons I won't bore people with.

The problem is, once you're used to an iPhone (or android) and you have the wealth of apps available to you (even if you use them or not), it becomes very difficult to not then have them. And it's simple things for me like banking apps, Starbucks, Costa Coffee, Apple Music, a very good camera, etc. Yes, the Classic can have most of these apps but I will tell you now that they do not work as well as they could and they are not as good as their ios / android alternative. Even the apps that are built for Blackberry like Inst10 has shortcomings.

I however am wanting to come back to Classic because I just absolutely detest typing on virtual keypads. Awful awful things.
    For me, I will be buying a new Classic at the end of the month and a new IPOD touch 6th generation. This will give me all the apps I need as well as a great camera in a pocket able device, along with a large storage option to save all my music and connect to my car. My Classic will handle all my emails, documents on the go, texting and communication.

Unfortunately I can't have one without wanting elements of the other. This is why I thought my luck was in with Priv. .. but after 2 weeks with it I know it's not where it should be and they keypad is just not very... 'blackberry' so the only other alternative for me is the it ipod / classic combo. And I'm excited!
    01-06-16 03:25 PM
    I was in the same spot for the same reasons six months ago. I just posted the "sad to switch back to iphone" thread yesterday. I love BlackBerry but it's been quite an adjustment. I underestimated how spoiled I had become with iphone's seamless processing speed and reliability.
    You could download BBM on your parents ipad for them and connect that way you will have to get a "pin" established for them.
    I used a lot of apps on my 5s and "assumed" that sideloading the Google apps would satisfy this. The android apps are very sluggish at best or total garbage. If you're not heavy on apps and you have the patience to customize your Classic to your liking then you should avoid the buyer's remorse I've gone through. I want to keep my phone but I might still be a lemming and surrender to a 6s. On the positive I love the heft of the Classic and BlackBerry Blend (when it works) is really convenient to tap my desktop at work. My best advice is get clear on how much you love that BlackBerry keyboard because there are trade offs.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 03:37 PM
    Just keep the iPhone and use that to iMessage. You can either use a data sim or use only on wi-fi.

Or you could move your family, if you can, to a more cross-platform option like whatsapp or even BBM.

I know how hard it is to break away from the grip of iOS. I still haven't been able to permanently shake the appeal of the iPhone.

Posted via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    01-06-16 04:11 PM
    Thanks for the help everyone. I'd probably give WhatsApp a try on their iPad, although it would be a royal pain since they'd have to learn a new app.

98% of the time, I just use the phone for email/txt/tunein, so the lack of other apps doesn't really bother me much. BB10 dying is a bit concerning (I don't want to spend $200 on a phone with a dying OS.)
    01-06-16 04:14 PM
    its not like if bb is going to stop support anytime soon it still has more than a couple of years to go. if your looking for a communication device the classic is great for it
    01-06-16 04:37 PM
    Thanks for the help everyone. I'd probably give WhatsApp a try on their iPad, although it would be a royal pain since they'd have to learn a new app.

98% of the time, I just use the phone for email/txt/tunein, so the lack of other apps doesn't really bother me much. BB10 dying is a bit concerning (I don't want to spend $200 on a phone with a dying OS.)
    You can't go by the insane amount of fear about BB10 that comes out in these forums. If there hasn't been any announcement, I wouldn't worry. Even if there was an announcement, the phone would still have all the functions that it always did. It's not like we need BIS anymore.

Posted via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    JRF_1986 likes this.
    01-06-16 05:44 PM
    I would recommend whatsapp. BBM on iOS is a pain. That is what my wife and I use to keep in touch since she is on iPhone, and it is always making her log in. Good luck!
    01-07-16 03:07 PM
    I would recommend whatsapp. BBM on iOS is a pain. That is what my wife and I use to keep in touch since she is on iPhone, and it is always making her log in. Good luck!
    I completely forgot about the problems my wife and I had with using BBM on iOS. It was horrible. Message would say delivered when it wasn't. She never got the message.

01-07-16 08:08 PM
    Alternately, FB messenger is getting some good press:

Why 800M people (including me) are warming up to Facebook Messenger | ZDNet
    01-08-16 08:10 AM
    Classic has the best navigation and typing no doubt.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    01-08-16 09:15 AM
    I might give WhatsApp a try on my parent's iPad to see how that works. They aren't on Facebook (I'd) like to keep it that way, but I guess I could always set them up with FB messenger.

From a business point of view, I can see why Apple doesn't open up the iMessages API, but it sucks from a platform perspective (their angle, I know).

Still debating the matter. Lots of + & - to consider.

Awesome community here.
    01-08-16 10:44 AM
    Just by reading the first two reasons for the switch I m sure you will enjoy the classic. Even if bb10 doesnt get any update, just the way it is now is good for a couple more years, if not longer. It does everything. Communicating with your parents will be an issue if you rely on imessages.
    01-08-16 09:41 PM
    Hey all,

Thanks all.
    After over four years of iPhones (4s & 6 Plus) and a Z30, I've just added a Classic and I love it, though it may take a week or two to get the hang of a PKB again. I pondered porting my primary number from my 6 Plus over to the Classic, but in the end I didn't want to disrupt sending iMessages to my closest friends, all of whom have iPhones. My sis has a PP, and I'll convince my bro and Dad to use BBM, which does video chat like FaceTime. I suggest to the OP he use the two-device solution as I do, as it's the only way to get the best of the iOS (apps, media) and BB10 (communications) worlds. Plus, you'll keep the iPhone as a secondary device, so you've got apps covered. Nice to know Chen just said BlackBerry will trot out both 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 this year. Good luck with your decision!

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    01-09-16 06:55 AM
    Thanks for the advice. Two phones isn't something that I am very interested in using. I'd like to give Classic a shot, the biggest hinderance now is if I want to spend the $$$ on a Classic (I'm a cheap SOB) .

I agree, it is nice that Chen said he'd support BB10. This is important to me from a security perspective.
    01-09-16 10:39 AM
    Thanks for the advice. Two phones isn't something that I am very interested in using. I'd like to give Classic a shot, the biggest hinderance now is if I want to spend the $$$ on a Classic (I'm a cheap SOB) .

I agree, it is nice that Chen said he'd support BB10. This is important to me from a security perspective.
    I don't know how much your budget is, but I just got a used classic off amazon from their warehouse deals for 176.

01-11-16 12:23 AM
    I just made the switch. I started out using the classic for a couple days with just WiFi trying setting things up and shutting down the iphone. So far I love it. I have an ipad so I feel like why do I need to have a smaller ipad that has all the same stuff!

I have been using Blend which is pretty awesome! Mostly at work and some at home. Still tinkering with it.

Only think I am missing is google maps. I like to check the traffic before I head home. So now I just have to look on my computer be fore I leave work.

Posted via CB10
    JRF_1986 likes this.
    01-22-16 09:10 PM
    Try BeMaps pro for your maps. It's basically googlemaps for blackberry. Has the same traffic views. It's on blackberry world.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-16 09:27 PM
    I switched form an IPhone to a Passport one year ago. No problem at all, in regards to messaging I use the normal sms to message Iphone owners. When I want to send pictures or videos I use apps like WhatsApp, Line or BBM and email. IMessage is convenient but restrictive if you have contacts that use different platforms or live scattered around the world.

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    01-22-16 10:55 PM
27 12