(Oops on thread title. Typed on my kindle at 5:00 am.)

I just got a BB Classic.
    Release 10.3.1.747
    OS version 10.3.1.1154
    This is an unlocked phone, which I bought from Amazon.
    My carrier is AT&T.

Problem: I want to set "confirm delivery" for text messages.

Background: In the BB Classic manual this appears:
    Change options for text messages
    In the BlackBerry Hub, tap > [settings] > Text Messages.
    • To receive a notification when your sent text messages are delivered or read, under SMS or MMS, turn on the Confirm Delivery switch or the Confirm Read switch.
    • To allow other devices to see when you receive or read a text message with an attachment, under MMS, turn on the Allow Delivery Confirmation switch or the Allow Read Confirmation switch.
    On my phone I do not find those options when I go to settings >> Text Messages. I do not find different options for SMS and MMS settings. Where I first posted this in the OS10 form, someone helpfully posted a screen capture that clearly shows choices for settings. I don't have those screens.

All I find are the following choices;

Text Messages
    Enable Word Substitution [toggle on/off button]
    Use Enter Key To Send [toggle on/off button]
    Dark Background [toggle on/off button]
    MMS [in tiny grayed-out characters with a line (a rule, i.e., _________________) above and below it--this is NOT an active button or link--I cannot activate it]*
    Reject Anonymous Messages [toggle on/off button]
    Reject Advertisements [toggle on/off button]
    Show SMS/MMS Mode Notifications [toggle on/off button, and I have it set to "ON"]
    Auto Retrieval Mode [I have it set to always]
    There are no live SMS/MMS buttons with the options to "confirm delivery" or "confirm read" or to 'allow delivery confirmation" or "allow read confirmation." What's up with that?

Anyone else lacking these options?
    arjun_butola likes this.
    01-25-15 05:13 AM
    From what I've read it's carrier dependent whether you have this option or not.

Posted from the 'Classy' Classic!
    01-25-15 05:27 AM
    Look like u got a limited edition device.

Posted via readers chamber on 14 th street.
    01-25-15 05:29 AM
    From what I've read it's carrier dependent whether you have this option or not.

Posted from the 'Classy' Classic!
    Look like u got a limited edition device.

Posted via readers chamber on 14 th street.
    Is it the carrier or the device??

And anyway, I CAN send and receive text messages.
    01-25-15 06:23 AM
    This (link) is the phone I bought. "BlackBerry Classic Smartphone - Factory Unlocked"
    01-25-15 06:29 AM
    Hub/3 dots down the right corner/settings/scroll down to text/
    Confirm delivery of text messages (thread also in OS10 foru loom)-img_20150125_063648.png

Work for ATT

From Classic
    01-25-15 07:38 AM
    All BlackBerry have that if it doesn't work it would be grey out

From Classic
    01-25-15 07:40 AM
    Post screen shot. What plan r u on?
    Today I'm going to state I'll be double checking that. I'll be there after diner.

From Classic
    01-25-15 07:44 AM
    All BlackBerry have that if it doesn't work it would be grey out

From Classic
    All BlackBerrys don't have it. Mine doesn't. On my other thread a poster suggested it is the SIM card that dictates. I would think it was the Operating System. Note that I can send and receive text messages, and they are MMS format (I get a message saying that when I send.)

Anyway, here are my screen shots:

The Settings drop down menu suggests there will be SMS/MMS options on the next screen:

I click on "Text Messages" (indicated by red arrow above) and get this, and this is ALL I get:

01-25-15 09:34 AM
    That's a classic?

From Classic
    01-25-15 09:51 AM
    Yes it OS that dictate. Have u tried reloading the os

From Classic
    01-25-15 09:57 AM
    Damn ur screen looks exactly the same on my Z 30. Which have ATT sim in it. Phone on flight mode for now

Maybe it sim related.

From Classic
    Last edited by Alain_A; 01-25-15 at 10:22 AM.
    01-25-15 09:59 AM
    Yes it OS that dictate. Have u tried reloading the os

From Classic
    I don't know how to do this.

Unless the phone is a fake

From Classic
    THIS is the phone I got. Not a fake.

On my other thread in the OS10 forum, someone who has a Z30 with AT&T confirmed that he also does not have these text message options:
    I'm on AT&T using OS 10.3.1.1949 on my Z30, and can confirm there is no message delivery option for SMS:

Attachment 329632

So this appears to be a limitation with AT&T.

Posted via CB10 on Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-25-15 10:04 AM
    Yeah looks normal then

From Classic
    01-25-15 10:25 AM
    I have been trying to get att sim for my classic. Maybe this week I'll be able

From Classic
    01-25-15 10:27 AM
    Try this.

Power off. Remove ur sim card then go back to that window's settings

From Classic
    01-25-15 10:42 AM
    I just spent 47 minutes on the phone with a helpful BlackBerry Customer Support Rep.

Bottom line: It is an AT&T issue. AT&T does not support SMS/MMS delivery confirmation so there is no way to configure it on a phone that has AT&T as a provider. It doesn't matter that the phone was unlocked and not purchased from AT&T.

Discussion: I sent him the screen shots that I posted here. Gave him all my OS numbers and versions, etc. Finally, he said the question would need to be checked out with AT&T, and then HE CALLED AT&T. That's what I call customer service. If *I* had had to call AT&T I would have had to tell my whole story all over again, and the chances of randomly getting a CSR who was familiar with BlackBerry and its operating systems was pretty slim.

So unhappy ending, but at least it's settled. Thanks to all who participated in this quest.
    01-25-15 11:12 AM
    @Lilleperl - it may be carrier dependent but there also may be a way to confuse it into behaving the way you want. This used to work on the BBOS (previous OS) models.

1) Take out your SIM. Perhaps to be safe go and reboot the phone without the SIM in it
    2) go into the settings screen you found above.
    3) please check to see if the Confirm settings are now listed. You might be lucky
    4) If you see them - set them. Pop your SIM back in and test.

Again - this method used to work with the previous generation of devices so it might work for you.

Carriers don't like the extra data traffic that all these receipts might generate on their network so that's typically why it might be prevented.
    01-25-15 11:43 AM
    Excellent idea!

I got the phone the day before I went to AT&T, and I turned it on and charged it and messed around with it some. I wondered, during the course of this quest, if those settings had been there BEFORE I went to AT&T and got the SIM card. I didn't know enough to look at that point.

I'll give it a whirl.
    01-25-15 11:52 AM
    That's what I said in my post above

From Classic
    01-25-15 11:58 AM
    Check this out
    Confirm delivery of text messages (thread also in OS10 foru loom)-img_20150125_233737.png

Arjun Butola
    01-25-15 12:08 PM
    That's what I said in my post above

From Classic
    You are a man of so few words, I don't always understand. My apologies.

Check this out
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150125_233737.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	329653

Arjun Butola
    Why did you post this again? Did you do what WArcher suggested, i.e., take out the SIM card then put it back in again?
    01-25-15 12:21 PM
    Try this.

Power off. Remove ur sim card then go back to that window's settings

From Classic
    Yes, I see now that's what you were getting at... I see it after WArcher spelled it out. Sorry, I'm not good at extrapolation (or telepathy). I really am sorry.
    01-25-15 12:23 PM
    @Lilleperl - it may be carrier dependent but there also may be a way to confuse it into behaving the way you want. This used to work on the BBOS (previous OS) models.

1) Take out your SIM. Perhaps to be safe go and reboot the phone without the SIM in it
    ...snip...
    What exactly do you mean by "reboot"? Just restart it, i.e. shut the phone off and turn it back on again? Surely you don't mean "factory reset," which I assume will wipe out all the customization I've spent the last 24 hours doing?

Carriers don't like the extra data traffic that all these receipts might generate on their network so that's typically why it might be prevented.
    Actually, I kind of thought this, too.
    01-25-15 12:27 PM
    I got the same issues.I was on t-mobile and could see the option, then I switched for att and the options disappear.

I re insert the t-mobile sim card and the option reappear...I insert the att sim card and the option disappear...
    I could do it all day long but I figure it out that it's carrier dependents..

It was helpful, I miss it but I have no solution

Posted via my Z10
    01-25-15 12:34 PM
28 12