I'm wondering if there is a big difference and if I will gain something more if I move from my Q10 to the Classic. What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 05:26 AM
    I'm wondering if there is a big difference and if I will gain something more if I move from my Q10 to the Classic. What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    I think you should hit search.

BlackBerry Passport Sliver Edition
    10-13-15 06:50 AM
    Tool belt. It's mostly about the tool belt. Screen's larger and "better", imo. Keyboard is roomier making it the best "double thumber" ever. Q10's loose battery is "fixed" so no more reboots when handled roughly. All of that makes the device larger and heavier. Don't even get me started on the fixed versus swappable battery debate... lol.

BUT, the toolbelt makes Classic the best "singlehanded" BB10 device yet!! Trackpad makes general navigation an inviting experience. Even on the tiniest of screens. Try editing spreadsheet cells, as an example, on a Q and then on a Classic and you'll see what I'm talking about. Z's little better for text selection. Track navigation is like graduating from pre-school finger painting into the precision of a finely pointed brush. Trackpad makes screen size mostly irrelevant, since you're not trying to fit a finger on the screen. Also, tasks that demand inches of movement to accomplish on touch screen can be done with a 1/4" movement of thumb on track pad. No comparison, imo.

Trackpad is also a marvelous experience for Miracast on giant screens. Like the 99 incher in our conference room. Minimizes need for looking at the phone while while navigating large screens. Unbeatable for that use, imo.

Lack of tool belt is why 26 coworkers out of my office no longer use our Q10s. Classic's physical "End" key provides unequaled "warm phuzzie" that you've truly disconnected the call and that the previous party isn't still listening in on "shop talk". Failure to positively disconnect calls on our glass oriented "soft end" devices was treated humorously the first few times. Not so humorous after loosing a client over it. Soft "End" failure is an issue that hasn't been adequately acknowledged among various professions, nor the industry in general. If you need to assure privileged conversations remain privileged, Classic's physical end key makes it THE modern device to use. IMO.
    PantherBlitz and Lefty724 like this.
    10-13-15 07:24 AM
    .....uh ya....track pad!

I came from a few different Q10's to a Classic. Night and day difference imo being able to navigate the whole phone with 1 hand is priceless!

Dare I say that my Passport SE just went up for sale since I love my Classic sooo much!

Posted via my Classic
    10-13-15 09:23 AM
    I think you should hit search.

BlackBerry Passport Sliver Edition
    I wonder how long there will be these kinda threads.....its been nearly a year.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 12:08 PM
    Here I'll help you out OP. This comes straight from BlackBerry, from the Classic community insider event.

The hardware specifications between the two devices are similar but there a few key differences:*

The first is the Classic offers the original BlackBerry navigation keys and trackpad that our customers love (and asked for on BlackBerry 10).

The second difference is that the BlackBerry Classic has a larger battery compared to the Q10 so you can get more done before having to recharge.

The third reason is the BlackBerry Classic has a larger screen than the Q10(3.5� vs 3.1� diagonal) that *provides more than 25% more screen area.

If you haven�t had a chance I�d recommend stopping by your local wireless service provider so you can compare the devices in person and see what works best for you

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 12:30 PM
    The Classic keyboard is by far the best keyboard BlackBerry has ever produced - better than the 9900 even.

Posted via CB10
    Lefty724 likes this.
    10-13-15 01:16 PM
    I also have a 9900 and I prefer the Classic's keyboard as well. Everything is just right on the Classic for me.

I think the 9900 is a little better in the one-handed use department, and that's about it. I always prayed for a BB10 9900, and the Classic is close enough for me!

Classic x Q10-img_0954.jpg

Posted via my Classic
    10-13-15 01:30 PM
    I also have a 9900 and I prefer the Classic's keyboard as well. Everything is just right on the Classic for me.

I think the 9900 is a little better in the one-handed use department, and that's about it. I always prayed for a BB10 9900, and the Classic is close enough for me!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0954.JPG 
Views:	1053 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	375692

Posted via my Classic
    Ooh is that a Silver Edition Passport that you're also sportin' there? How the Passport keyboard compare to the Classic and 9900, other than being larger?

Posted via CB10
    Lefty724 likes this.
    10-13-15 01:41 PM
    Ooh is that a Silver Edition Passport that you're also sportin' there? How the Passport keyboard compare to the Classic and 9900, other than being larger?

Posted via CB10
    Yes it is a SE.

The keyboard and typing is actually a little better on the SE. Softer, larger keys, touch sensitive, etc...imo. Once you get used to it, it's great! The only draw back is needing 2 hands all the time to use it.

However...I feel right at home on the Classic as far as the keyboard. The smaller size allows me to use it and text all with one hand. For my needs the Classic is the right fit for me at this point.

Posted via my Classic
    10-13-15 01:47 PM
    In terms of specs, no, but in terms of your user experience, yes. I went from a Q10 to a Classic, was hesitant at first since it was the same specs, but I don't regret it. Basically you get the performance of the Q10 but the toolbelt makes navigation awesome and the keyboard types the best out of any keyboard I've ever tried, 9900 included.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-13-15 01:49 PM
    I've had the 9900, the Q10, and now the Classic. I will admit I don't use the tool belt as much as I would if I switched directly from the 9900. I just became used to the Q10 and the lack of the tool belt, but it's definitely nice to have again. Unpopular opinion maybe, but I like the styling of the Classic much more. I also like the bigger screen and the fit in my hand. It's a perfect combination of the Q10 and the 9900 in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Lefty724 likes this.
    10-13-15 02:39 PM
    1. Bigger screen
    2. Bigger battery
    3. Better keyboard
    4. Toolbelt

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 02:47 PM
    1. Bigger screen
    2. Bigger battery
    3. Better keyboard
    4. Toolbelt

Posted via CB10
    Brighter screen too. Now when I try to use the Q10 (I use it as a cooking timer, haha) it looks soooooo dim...

Lefty724 likes this.
    10-13-15 04:47 PM
    I had the Q10. I thought it was the perfect. Until I got the Classic. I love my SE Passport (and loved the black and red ones I had), but the Classic is really all I need if I had to pick one. Its bigger size makes it feel better to told, and at first I thought the addition of the tool belt was kind of gimmicky, like BlackBerry was throwing anything at the wall, hoping it will stick.

But then I got the Classic and see that it fits perfectly with the OS. Is it the same exact functionality of the Bold 9900? No. But it's pretty close, and the Classic is the perfect bridge between what legacy OS users are used to, and the much more modern BlackBerry 10 OS.

You can't go wrong with the Classic. It is a worthy upgrade from the Q10 for sure.
    Lefty724 likes this.
    10-13-15 06:21 PM
    I had passport then classic and now Q10.

Classic was a nice device, but laggy compared to passport in every step. I really really enjoyed the trackpad.
    I've got used to the 'lag', and almost kept it until my brother bought PASSPORT.

So I got a chance to compare the two (classic and passport). What ultimately was the deal breaker for me and what led me to selling CLASSIC was the screen. Not the size. Size is good. But pixel density. If it had at least the PPI of Q10 I'd be perfectly fine with classic even though it's specs are hilariously outdated and it's keyboard is not touch sensitive (they made it for PRIV, shame they passed it on CLASSIC).

Passport (and Q10) screen is sharp and I CAN read stuff on it, meanwhile text on CLASSIC is pixelated and gives me eyes train if try to read something longer than SMS, like forum posts or news or emails.

Passport gives me no eye strain. Text is super sharp on it.

Classic should've had at least 1080x1080 screen for sure.

I'd really advise you to keep in mind the low resolution the screen has.
    (it's below 300PPI which is 'retina' so you CAN and WILL see pixels or at least bad text)
    10-14-15 04:40 AM
    Might have to check your eyes. To me the classic screen is perfectly sharp compared to my passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 05:24 AM
    Might have to check your eyes. To me the classic screen is perfectly sharp compared to my passport.

Posted via CB10
    Don't mean to be rude or act like a smart@ss, but if you don't see the text being pixelated (not perfectly round like on Q10 or PASSPORT) then you're the one who should have their eyes checked.

You could write the exact same sentence, but replace classic with q10 and you'd be right.
    Q10 is perfectly sharp even compared to PASSPORT.

But I would never ever use the words SHARP or PERFECTLY when discribing CLASSIC's screen.

My nokia E6 had perfectly sharp screen (slightly more PPI than Q10). Though it was a very small screen even compared to Q10.

P.S. I showed the same blog post loaded on CLASSIC and PASSPORT and gave it to my mom to look at and asked her what she thinks. She doesn't care for technology and is absolutely not biased to any device. I didn't even asked her which screen appears to be sharper/better or anything. I didn't even asked her to read. I just said tell me what you think. And she said that she prefers classic's size, and that TEXT is much easier on the eyes on passport screen!!! Then I asked my brother what he thinks of the screen and he was shocked. He said it looks like an old phone's screen PIXELATED!!!
    anischab likes this.
    10-14-15 07:12 AM
    Don't mean to be rude or act like a smart@ss, but if you don't see the text being pixelated (not perfectly round like on Q10 or PASSPORT) then you're the one who should have their eyes checked.

You could write the exact same sentence, but replace classic with q10 and you'd be right.
    Q10 is perfectly sharp even compared to PASSPORT.

But I would never ever use the words SHARP or PERFECTLY when discribing CLASSIC's screen.

My nokia E6 had perfectly sharp screen (slightly more PPI than Q10). Though it was a very small screen even compared to Q10.

P.S. I showed the same blog post loaded on CLASSIC and PASSPORT and gave it to my mom to look at and asked her what she thinks. She doesn't care for technology and is absolutely not biased to any device. I didn't even asked her which screen appears to be sharper/better or anything. I didn't even asked her to read. I just said tell me what you think. And she said that she prefers classic's size, and that TEXT is much easier on the eyes on passport screen!!! Then I asked my brother what he thinks of the screen and he was shocked. He said it looks like an old phone's screen PIXELATED!!!
    I actually have perfect vision, something that's great for my hobby, and at the distance I hold my phones when I read things there is absolutely no way I can tell the difference in the ppi. I'm thinking you're holding your phones closer to your face if you see the pixels, so if you need to do that in order to read, then maybe you really should get your eyes checked for near-sightedness...

Edit: Your mom, like my mother, would probably do the same, hold the phone right up to her face. Of course you'll notice the pixels if the phone is 6 inches from your face. I read everything holding my phone with my arm relaxed completely (call me lazy, lol) which with most chairs and the height of their arm rests, is almost down to the distance of my waist. At that level, the screen has an "effective" ppi way over what you can distinguish...

10-14-15 08:06 AM
    I actually have perfect vision, something that's great for my hobby, and at the distance I hold my phones when I read things there is absolutely no way I can tell the difference in the ppi. I'm thinking you're holding your phones closer to your face if you see the pixels, so if you need to do that in order to read, then maybe you really should get your eyes checked for near-sightedness...
    My vision is alright. And obviously I understand the correlation between PPI and distance. I bought 55" TV full HD, and not for 4k because I knew I wouldn't tell the difference from a distance I'm watching at. That and the price of course .

With the phones you can tell almost instantly notice if PPI is lower than 300PPI. Obviously looking from a shorter distance you'll notice it faster.
    Classic's screen is below 300PPI, which is known as 'retina' display (name given by apple, but essentially it's the same thing we're discussing- high enough PPI to not notice PIXELATION).

Short distance or not - it's a mobile phone. You look at it from various distances during the day.
    As I walking I'm holding and using my phone different than when I'm sitting at the desk, or sitting on the sofa or laying on the bed or reading in the dark or whatever else situation.

For classic's PPI to not bother a person is one thing, but to compare classic's 294PPI screen to passports 450 PPI and say that classic is perfectly sharp is NOT RIGHT.

I'm not saying I need to hold classic closer to my eyes when reading compared to passport.
    I'm saying that I can read text way more comfortably on passport at any (reasonable) distance.

I've mentioned that for avarage use of the phone ( sms, calls, emails) classic's alright. But if you also want to use it for web browsing - particularly for reading stuff on, then I'd advise anyone to stay away from classic.

Ladies and gentlemen PIXELS do matter. If you have a chance try and compare different PPI screens.
    10-14-15 08:53 AM
    My vision is alright. And obviously I understand the correlation between PPI and distance. I bought 55" TV full HD, and not for 4k because I knew I wouldn't tell the difference from a distance I'm watching at. That and the price of course .

With the phones you can tell almost instantly notice if PPI is lower than 300PPI. Obviously looking from a shorter distance you'll notice it faster.
    Classic's screen is below 300PPI, which is known as 'retina' display (name given by apple, but essentially it's the same thing we're discussing- high enough PPI to not notice PIXELATION).

Short distance or not - it's a mobile phone. You look at it from various distances during the day.
    As I walking I'm holding and using my phone different than when I'm sitting at the desk, or sitting on the sofa or laying on the bed or reading in the dark or whatever else situation.

For classic's PPI to not bother a person is one thing, but to compare classic's 294PPI screen to passports 450 PPI and say that classic is perfectly sharp is NOT RIGHT.

I'm not saying I need to hold classic closer to my eyes when reading compared to passport.
    I'm saying that I can read text way more comfortably on passport at any (reasonable) distance.

I've mentioned that for avarage use of the phone ( sms, calls, emails) classic's alright. But if you also want to use it for web browsing - particularly for reading stuff on, then I'd advise anyone to stay away from classic.

Ladies and gentlemen PIXELS do matter. If you have a chance try and compare different PPI screens.
    I never hold the phone close to my face. That will definitely cause eye strain regardless of ppi. I would have liked for better resolution also (who wouldn't?) but in the end I don't really notice it while using the Classic.

10-14-15 09:08 AM
    Ive had a q10 and passport and I highly prefer the classic overall. The screen doesnt bother me at all and I read alooot of longer texts on it. Im a cameraman so id like to think i have quite good eyes.

You seem to be overly picky about things. As said, i dont hold the screen against my nose aswell. Lovely screen and brightness

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 09:10 AM
    Weird...

I have the Classic and Passport SE right in front of me and can't tell and pixel difference at all? I have better than perfect eye sight (wife works for an eye doctor) and have them checked all the time. They stop at 20/20 vision, but I can keep going smaller and further away with the machine lol.

I even have all of my font sizes set to 5 which is the smallest you can go?

I've never noticed any eye strain with either screen? Maybe I just don't know what to look for?

Posted via my Classic
    10-14-15 09:20 AM
    Ive had a q10 and passport and I highly prefer the classic overall. The screen doesnt bother me at all and I read alooot of longer texts on it. Im a cameraman so id like to think i have quite good eyes.

You seem to be overly picky about things. As said, i dont hold the screen against my nose aswell. Lovely screen and brightness

Posted via CB10
    Yes I am sometimes overly picky

And also I am angry towards blackberry because it seems that they took away almost EVERYTHING from classic (camera, touch keyboard, screen, CPU, GPU, RAM, storage) and put it on PRIV and even made it ANDROID.

I understand it's just how business works and that at the end of the day share holders are ALWAYS more important than customers.

Classic is a great phone for what it is - a classic.
    10-14-15 11:32 AM
    Yes I am sometimes overly picky

And also I am angry towards blackberry because it seems that they took away almost EVERYTHING from classic (camera, touch keyboard, screen, CPU, GPU, RAM, storage) and put it on PRIV and even made it ANDROID.

I understand it's just how business works and that at the end of the day share holders are ALWAYS more important than customers.

Classic is a great phone for what it is - a classic.
    I can't claim any anger but do feel insulted. Some of us argued for more specs, including ppi, over a year ago. We were condescendingly demeaned for our efforts. That said, it should be pointed out that more ppi needs more "horsepower" in specs. More horsepower needs more battery and more heat rejection capacity. Also more $$. I can't imagine that the added cost of a Z30 spec'd Classic would have impacted sales more significantly than what sales the added specs would have attracted but... John never sought my advice... lol.

I frequently use a pocket magnifier to scrutinize drawings on my PassPort and my Classic. PassPort is certainly my preferred device for documents. Classic gets the job done nicely, tho.
    10-14-15 01:25 PM
30 12