I own both devices (and have owned 10 or so BBs over the years). I've have the Passport since launch and still really like it. I think of it as a massive upgrade to the Q10 (which I did not like... overheated, crappy phone quality, too much screen space wasted on dumb things, screen not bright enough, slow with emailing and general navigation, poor appearance and construction quality). I see the Classic as more of an upgrade to the 9900, just like the way BB is positioning it.

Here is how the two new devices stack up for me:

-KEYBOARD: Took me about 3 weeks to start typing okay on the Passport. Thought I was doing pretty well and overall wasn't really fussed about typing speed, but ten minutes with the Classic and I am faster on it. Still don't like the Classic keyboard as much as the 9900 because I find it less comfortable without the curved rows and the way it sits so low on the device means you have to hold it a bit differently. It is also harder to glide your fingers across it really fast like the 9900, I think because the buttons are less flat. The tradeoff here may be that the higher buttons make for better no-look precision. Classic buttons are softer than the Passport and overall it is a better keyboard, I think. That said - people with big hands I think will be better on the Passport. I think both are great keyboards, but I'm definitely faster on the Classic thanks to the retain of the fourth row.

-EMAIL: reading, replying, filing I find better on the Classic than the Passport, mostly due to the trackpad which I find efficient. Again, for my personal workflow the 9900 is still more efficient for email (at least until you have an attachment and all hell breaks loose), but the Classic is the first new device that comes close. I am a massive emailer all day so this is a big deal for me.

-TEXT EDITING: Thank god for the return of the trackpad. The Passport system wasn't bad, but copying, pasting. etc is so much faster on the Classic. Again, a big thing for me but I know this is not important for everyone.

-ONE HANDED USE: This is what has turned out to be the real issue for me. With the Passport, I found that I just kind of stopped going through emails while walking around during the day. This is because to do things effectively with one hand is very difficult. With the Classic, I can do this again... walking around glued to my BB, whipping through things with the trackpad. What a huge boost... I find this can mean 20-30 mins a day or more that I dont have to sit at my desk on my computer. And this right here is the single most important thing to me in a phone.

-SCREEN: Classic is fine (WAYYY better than Q10) but Passport is truly amazing. I find the Passport big enough to watch movies on while at the gym and am going to miss that with the Classic

-BATTERY: Passport, hands down. Don't yet have a good feel for Classic's longevity. Passport is unbelievable.

-CALL QUALITY & SPEAKERPHONE: Passport, but Classic is fine and I have no major issues. The Passport I find can replace a polycom often in a boardroom... the Classic's speakerphone not so much. Not bad though. I'd give them a "meets expectations."

-PHYSICAL DESIGN: Pretty much love everything about the Passport. I don't have a problem with it in my pocket. A little big to take running but its management. Classic design is fine but I do not like the back. People seem to think it is grippy but I don't. Will be looking for a case.

-SPEED: Both are fast. Not BB7-no-animation-instant-open fast which still annoys me (enough with the damn animations, just make things open fast), but fast enough. I don't see any slowdown going from Passport to Classic. Enough with the specs debate already.

-OWNERSHIP ENJOYMENT: Gotta give this to the Passport. A real conversation piece, great looking, very original. Classic doesn't have that.

-OVERALL VERDICT: For me, it will be the Classic, simply because for what I do and how I work, the Classic is a more efficient work tool. I would think that for most people, and for the vast majority of 9900 hold outs the Classic will be the better choice, but the Passport certainly has its niche (people who read more than type, guys with big hands, someone who really wants a status symbol or a phone with a killer screen).

I'm keeping the Classic, but its going to be hard to part with that Passport.

Curious to hear thoughts from other people with both phones. Which one will be your daily driver?
    12-20-14 07:29 PM
    OP, thank you for your post! I haven't yet received my classic but have one on order. Like you, I have the Passport & enjoy many things about it minus the position of the keypad. The PP keypad is what I consider to be sitting down WAY low. You mention the Classic's keypad sits lower but I don't quite get that impression by looking at the pics and especially not compared to the PP. I definitely don't want to have to hold the classic in an awkward position in order to type as that's the problem I'm having with the PP. Glad to hear you haven't noticed any lag in speed & that the screen size is comfortable. I'm sure it will be an adjustment for me coming from three months use of the PP but I think the tradeoff will be worth it.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 07:47 PM
    Yeah I should clarify... what I meant about the Classic keyboard sitting low is that its just not quite as easy to hold and type on as the 9900. Because the Class is so much heavier than the 9900 and quite a bit longer, and also because the Classic keyboard is shifted closer to the bottom of the phone than on the 9900, you feel a lot more topweight when holding it and typing. Same thing with the Passport. You have to adjust technique a bit.
    Vintage123 likes this.
    12-20-14 07:55 PM
    Good review. Interesting about the battery.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 08:18 PM
    Excellent post, thanks for putting in the thought. And details. I am hoping a vzw version will hit soon. I suspect most of what you are reporting will be embraced by many hard core users.

Posted via CB10
    abutterflyloves likes this.
    12-20-14 08:21 PM
    I'll give you a God vote for this review.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 08:27 PM
    The two most important point you made are:

1. One handed use. I can do most stuff one handed on my passport. I can do EVERYTHING one handed on my q10.

2. Amount of time spent typing versus reading. I read more than type, so I need more info to be on the screen. My typing doesn't go beyond a few sentences. If I was a heavier typer, I'd stay with the q then probably get the classic.

I might get the next version of the classic whenever that comes. This is definitely the best review.
    12-20-14 08:30 PM
    Nice comparison. Lucky to have both and to be able compare!

You brought up some good points that I have been wondering about.

For me, based on your comparison, it looks like I would like to have that quick acting trackpad ability on my Passport.

Other than that, Passport all the way for me in each of your categories.

Thank you and hope others benefit from your post (and offer feedback as you asked).
    12-20-14 08:33 PM
    This was a excellent review, in the end you pick what works best for you, and not because of specs like some people complain about.

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    12-20-14 09:58 PM
    Thanks for excellent review. I am wondering if passport of space pad can add trackpad function and also finger print? From technical point of view it should be doable. Hope to see the functions soon. If so that should be a killer phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 10:19 PM
    Thanks for the review! I'm also waiting for a Classic and can't wait. Once it arrives, I'll sell my other phones off and buy a Passport 100%.

I'll use the Classic as my main phone and the Passport as my tablet/weekend phone.
    12-20-14 10:40 PM
    forget about the fingerprint sensor as a 7 y.o kid found a way to break into his dad's iphone with that system
    12-20-14 10:56 PM
    I'll give you a God vote for this review.

Posted via CB10
    Only God can give out a God vote. The most you can dispense is fatty-acid vote, but that surely doesn't sound as flattering. LOL.

Thanks OP. Your review is honest and helpful.

Posted via CB10
    aminrajabi, bungaboy and elgolfman like this.
    12-20-14 10:57 PM
    OP, I agree on several points. Good on you for providing your honest assessment. I have found that the Passport has its hits and some misses. But quite frankly there's been so much upside so far that it more than compensates for the misses, in my experience anyway. I had a chance to try to Classic keyboard the other day and I firmly believe the keyboard size and ease of use feels so much better.

I will be getting a Classic in a few months, as the ability to carry my device in a holster is what I miss particularly for travel. However the Passport does work extremely well for me too since I do consume and read more content than I do type. Therefore on that basis alone, the Passport is a great device and would happily continue to use it.

I'm in no hurry to switch from the Passport. But that Classic keyboard, is really a great efficient tool in of itself.
    12-20-14 11:32 PM
    Thanks to the OP. Sounds like if I had to replace my Z30 the Classic would work just fine. I am so attracted to the physical keyboard, but the virtual keyboard of the Z30 is the best I've ever used on a touchscreen device. Would a Classic have the zippy performance of the Z30?

Posted via CB10 | VZW Z30 on at&t LTE
    12-21-14 08:40 AM
    I could never get the passport because of its odd proportions requiring two handed use. I've got a Z30 and a 9900, and while I really like the Z30 with BB10 and the screen real estate for apps, I still love the 9900 for its portability, durability and amazing keyboard.

If I had to pick one BlackBerry device to buy right now, I would probably go with the Z30 again, but the Classic is very tempting. I'm getting one for work next month so it will be a good way to demo it before picking one up as my personal phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 09:03 AM
    Hey OP, post an update when you've had a little more time observing the battery. I'm very interested in this aspect. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 09:11 AM
    Excellent read! Thanks for sharing, OP! I don't have the Classic yet (waiting for the white to be released) and have been using my Passport for just over a week now.

My use cases matches the OP's to a tee! More of a typer than a reader and one-handed use is an absolute must. I have a feeling that once I get my hands on a Classic and am reminded of the ease of use of text editing after two years away from the trackpad, the Passport will have to take a backseat.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 09:16 AM
    -SPEED: Both are fast. Not BB7-no-animation-instant-open fast which still annoys me (enough with the damn animations, just make things open fast), but fast enough. I don't see any slowdown going from Passport to Classic. Enough with the specs debate already.
    Best part of this post. Imagine the collective loss of productivity from all the people waiting for the "song and dance" instead of just instantly showing you want you just asked the phone to show you.

I don't see any slowdown going from Passport to Classic. Enough with the specs debate already.
    Second best part of this post! Unless the "song and dance" goes faster on the specs of the Passport....what's the point?
    12-21-14 09:21 AM
    forget about the fingerprint sensor as a 7 y.o kid found a way to break into his dad's iphone with that system
    ? Sorry but you do realize that the kid used his dad's finger when he was sleeping.

Not sure if I call that breaking in when you're using what is essentially the key.
    clickitykeys likes this.
    12-21-14 09:27 AM
    Thanks for your thoughts, OP. I'll be using the Classic as my work device these next few days to see if it fits my own work flow better than the Passport. Right now, I'm way more attached to my Passport than I originally thought possible. (I'm going to blame it on the screen lol)

Posted via CB10
    Pcmx likes this.
    12-21-14 09:28 AM
    Thanks for the info OP. I am a current 9900 owner and am really torn between the two devices. I was at my local Bell store and they had both the Classic and Passport live to use. I loved both of them. Passport was $149 on a two year contract and the Classic was $49 for the same. Classic seems more manageable but the Passport was beast! I'm not a 2 phone guy and feel the Classic is the better phone for me but I have a feeling I will regret not getting the Passport.
    12-21-14 09:54 AM
    ? Sorry but you do realize that the kid used his dad's finger when he was sleeping.

Not sure if I call that breaking in when you're using what is essentially the key.

yes I know and yes it is still a breaking
    12-21-14 03:32 PM
    Thanks for the info OP. I am a current 9900 owner and am really torn between the two devices. I was at my local Bell store and they had both the Classic and Passport live to use. I loved both of them. Passport was $149 on a two year contract and the Classic was $49 for the same. Classic seems more manageable but the Passport was beast! I'm not a 2 phone guy and feel the Classic is the better phone for me but I have a feeling I will regret not getting the Passport.
    oh doesn't sounds good for you........lol......big decision
    12-21-14 03:34 PM

also, you go out at night then some crooks knock you out, steel your phone then realize it is locked....not a problem they take you finger and unlock it and all that when you are looking at some stars...

now you are using a pic locked device....well then they (crooks) have to throw a pale of water on your face to bring you back from the stars then put a gun on your head to ask for password.....
    Last edited by Alain_A; 12-21-14 at 03:49 PM.
    12-21-14 03:39 PM
36 12